PDA

View Full Version : Amps

ledzep
22-07-2013, 18:23
Ok the story is my missus keeps on at me to get an intergrated valve amp,so what would you recommend? Im currently using a Quad 33 and 303 amps and love the sound of them so would need to sound as good as the quads for little money about £500 my speakers are Ruark Talisman ll's .

aquapiranha
22-07-2013, 18:25
Bewitch A30 the original one. I had one it is a corker of an amp.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

realysm42
22-07-2013, 18:33
I wish my other half would nag me to get more gear :eyebrows:

ledzep
22-07-2013, 18:34
I demo'd an A30 and tbh i wasnt sure on it dont know why.

Graeme
22-07-2013, 18:51
What about a kit?

I had fully net audio modded quad 405/44 with a pair of jr149's.
I built a World Designs kel84, along with some WD speakers and about a week later sold the quads;)

Kel84 was far better. Ive modified it quite alot now and its even better still. The WD speakers are long gone, now running 10" tannoys.

The kit was the first electronic project i'd ever done, i didnt know a resistor from a capacitor but it went smoothly and worked first time so nothing to be scared of.

electric beach
22-07-2013, 20:54
Dan, I've got this available and it's in Maidstone at the moment if you fancy a listen.

It's no longer an integrated though, as it was pimped to a dedicated power amp by Tube Distinctions. It's a bit special, as those that have heard it will attest... :eyebrows:

http://theartofsound.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=9522&d=1318087230

http://theartofsound.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=9428&d=1301915818

ledzep
22-07-2013, 21:23
Thanks Steve,but it has to be intergrated

hifi_dave
23-07-2013, 08:53
Dan, stick with your 33/303. A valve amp will take up far more space than the Quad combo and then you're bound to be told off about the heat and danger to kids or pets etc. What you have is practical Hi-Fi and it's paid for.

Gordon Steadman
23-07-2013, 09:36
My only question would be why?? Is it the look, the sound or what is it that your wife wants that is different.

For some of us, the industrial design of the 33/303 has never been bettered. I still regret selling my 33/50ds to fund other purchases. The sound is only questioned by those who have other priorities like persuading us that there is much better to be had. Hah! Different yup. Better?? Who can decide?

If you are happy with them, why should you change? (An assumption I know, but I always suggest that one should start telling the other half that you like her voice but don't like the way she dresses and that she should be more modern and sleek. You think she should change the look but can't spend more than...............)

John R Leddy
23-07-2013, 11:29
Dan,

You could probably pick up a PrimaLuna ProLogue One for that kind of money.

Range and Prices: http://stoneaudio.co.uk/?manufacturer=primaluna

ProLogue One: http://www.stoneaudio.co.uk/?product=primaluna+prologue+one+integrated+valve+a mplifier

Horses for courses and all that.

John.

Firebottle
23-07-2013, 11:37
(An assumption I know, but I always suggest that one should start telling the other half that you like her voice but don't like the way she dresses and that she should be more modern and sleek. You think she should change the look but can't spend more than...............)

Brilliant Gordon, that's just given us a great laugh :lol:

:cool:Alan

ledzep
23-07-2013, 17:15
Lol excellent i read out some answers to her wont say what response i got,but the quads are staying :) so im happy

Oldpinkman
23-07-2013, 17:34
My only question would be why?? Is it the look, the sound or what is it that your wife wants that is different.

For some of us, the industrial design of the 33/303 has never been bettered. I still regret selling my 33/50ds to fund other purchases. The sound is only questioned by those who have other priorities like persuading us that there is much better to be had. Hah! Different yup. Better?? Who can decide?

If you are happy with them, why should you change? (An assumption I know, but I always suggest that one should start telling the other half that you like her voice but don't like the way she dresses and that she should be more modern and sleek. You think she should change the look but can't spend more than...............)

Gordon! the 303 maybe I'd go along with a bit. It's certainly very good and you could spend lots of money on worse. The 33? Phono stage? Surely your mate Firebottle must have played you better? I swear I heard one yawn once. What have you been comparing it with to say "never been bettered"? I'm not sure I don't prefer a Nad 3020 phono stage. :ner:

On which subject, if your speakers are not hard to drive, and you want to try an integrated I have a 3020 I could lend you for a couple of days and I'm in Kent

Gordon Steadman
23-07-2013, 17:49
Gordon! the 303 maybe I'd go along with a bit. It's certainly very good and you could spend lots of money on worse. The 33? Phono stage? Surely your mate Firebottle must have played you better? I swear I heard one yawn once. What have you been comparing it with to say "never been bettered"? I'm not sure I don't prefer a Nad 3020 phono stage. :ner:

On which subject, if your speakers are not hard to drive, and you want to try an integrated I have a 3020 I could lend you for a couple of days and I'm in Kent

By industrial design, I meant the look of the thing, its just beautiful. the man is happy with his Quads so stop trying to tempt him away now its settled!!

I have heard Alan's phono amps and very nice they are too.

DSJR
23-07-2013, 21:06
You chaps crack me up :lol:

What about a Quad 77 integrated? No phono input sadly, but the sound is gorgeous, sweet, as atmospheric as any good valve amp and sonically, a perfect update on the 33/303, especially the 33 bit.. prices are low because nobody really understood it and the remote control was troublesome - should have been sorted by now! The matching FM tuner is lovely sounding and the 77 CD player was nice too, if you can find a working example. The basic design lived on in the 99 series I think...

Oldpinkman
24-07-2013, 05:40
By industrial design, I meant the look of the thing, its just beautiful. the man is happy with his Quads so stop trying to tempt him away now its settled!!

I have heard Alan's phono amps and very nice they are too.

Sorry. I started this thread at the top. Got to your post and didn't make it to "I'm happy". Sound advice:)

Rare Bird
21-08-2013, 15:28
Ok the story is my missus keeps on at me to get an intergrated valve amp,so what would you recommend? Im currently using a Quad 33 and 303 amps and love the sound of them so would need to sound as good as the quads for little money

Um little money! i was gonna say a Leak 'Stereo 20' with volume pot fitted to the amp in place of the octal socket on the front, hence no axing up of a vintage beauty, or you could use your Quad '33' with it, put the 'ST20' out of sight unless you need to see the glowing tubes that is!! personally i would rather have a '303' than a tube amp.. If it's room that the problem, again stash away the power amp out of sight.