PDA

View Full Version : Fanning the flames, or how to stay cool without an airconditioning system

StanleyB
17-07-2013, 17:57
No doubt many of us wish we could afford to install an airco in our home. But it's expensive to buy ( I spent £30K having one installed in my old workplace), and equally expensive to run. So I bought myself a tower fan with remote control facility. Prior to that I used one of the more common circular fans, but those things have a habit of blowing papers off the desk and being too noisy to fall asleep with one of them running.
The remote control versions are very handy. You don't have to jump out of bed to switch them on or off. And some even have a timer so that you don't burn electricity unnecessarily. If you do get a fan then I suggest that you also leave a window open. Otherwise you'll just get hot air blowing at you after a while.

pjdowns
17-07-2013, 18:01
Thanks for the recommendation Stan. I currently use a series of circular fans throughout my house but might try and convince the mrs to get air con eventually :)

prestonchipfryer
17-07-2013, 18:10
Baked beans are useful, if you ain't gotta fan. :D

StanleyB
17-07-2013, 18:12
You then need to have several windows open.

StanleyB
17-07-2013, 18:17
If you intend to buy an air-conditioning system, be careful with what you buy. If it is one of those portable ones, make sure it is not one of those that needs to be topped up with water. That water will get into the electrics of your hifi and can cause problems eventually.
Also make sure it is one that has a user replaceable filter. If you need to call out an airco engineer to replace the filter then be prepared for a hefty bill for less than 15 minutes of work.

pjdowns
17-07-2013, 18:27

:lol: wrong, wrong in so many ways but funny LOL