PDA

View Full Version : Balanced > Unbalanced?

aquapiranha
02-05-2009, 22:31
Or more specifically - who knows how to convert a balanced signal into an unbalanced one?

I will trying a piece of equipment that uses XLR connectiors, but would like to connect it using standard "single ended" RCA's. Is this possible? are there converters available?

all help great appreciated!

:)

Clive
02-05-2009, 22:40
This shop used to sell them, I can't find phono to xlr at the moment, just xlr to phono.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/88dp

You'll loose 6db when going phono to xlr.

aquapiranha
02-05-2009, 22:44
Wow Clive that was quick! I was aware of the adapters bt wondered about making up the leads myself. This is in relation to the conversation we had a few days ago re. crossovers. i have a look around, thanks! I hope I will be able to come over and be blown away by your Bastani's soon, Ian is still up for it too. Thanks!

Clive
02-05-2009, 22:51
Ground is pin 1 and pin 3, pin 2 is the "hot" connection. That's all the adapters do unless you use transformers.

Playing with a Behringer?

aquapiranha
02-05-2009, 22:59
Haha Clive, I would indeed be "playing" if I were getting a Behringer.... just kidding, I have seem a number of candidates, from DBx to the more likely Rane ( I have my eye on one at the moment - seems there sre places much cheaper than ebay!) I hope to get another set of alpha's and then another amp... oh and the x-over of course.

DSJR
03-05-2009, 19:21
It's quite usual to use balanced at one end and phono-single ended at t'other. My way is to connect screen and negative together at the phono plug and not connect the screen at the XLR end, but this depends where the best earth is, as on the ATC actives, the earth pin (pin 1?) is coupled to chassis ground via a 47 Ohm resistor to prevent hum loops, whereas my preamp has the chassis and screen of the phono plugs coupled together. I believe the convention may be to connect the screen at the male (far) end...

Other equipment has their grounding done differently and I found that each case needs to be looked at carefully, otherwise subtle bits of reverb and atmosphere can be affected.

Apologies if I'm confusing you.

aquapiranha
03-05-2009, 19:28
No Dave, that does make sense, I have been reading up on it! lol... It seems there are lots of converters available, and if I am honest I would trust these more than my own attempts. It looks like Neutirk have some quality items available.