PDA

View Full Version : It must be obvious

Andrei
10-07-2013, 22:47
In the latest Analogue Planet Michael Fremer said 'My experience has been that individual [record selling] companies are hesitant to divulge sales numbers for various reasons, most of which are obvious.' It is not obvious to me. The only one I can think of is that they do not wish to disclose to Inland Revenue the amount of money coming in. I'm sure there must be more valid reasons. Any suggestions?

walpurgis
10-07-2013, 23:23
I quite like Michael Fremer, I've read some of his reviews and he seems to express a genuine opinion.

Oldpinkman
11-07-2013, 05:37
I imagine the "talk a big game" factor. If you want the world to believe in a big vinyl recovery you don't want to broadcast tiny sales volumes. I see it so much with small businesses here. Struggling to survive, and failing, but keeping up the front. Which sales pitch will you buy solar panels from ? "This is so popular, I'm rushed off my feet, but as a special favour I will reschedule and can install yours next month" or, "I can't sell these for love nor money. I can install tomorrow and offer 10% off"

daytona600
11-07-2013, 13:37
some vinyl runs are very small , i get lots in the 100 to 300 numbered editions. Huge runs like the new Daft punk RAM first pressing was 5,000 then they pressed another 5,000 to meet demand

Wakefield Turntables
11-07-2013, 13:43
some vinyl runs are very small , i get lots in the 100 to 300 numbered editions. Huge runs like the new Daft punk RAM first pressing was 5,000 then they pressed another 5,000 to meet demand

Yep, small runs are very common. But all streams form an ocean. Vinyl has been on an upwards trend for the last several years, I think it represent ~1% of all music sales. That's quite a bit more than say 5 years ago. And long may this trend continue.. Hurrah. :eek:

synsei
11-07-2013, 15:22
Yep, small runs are very common. But all streams form an ocean. Vinyl has been on an upwards trend for the last several years, I think it represent ~1% of all music sales. That's quite a bit more than say 5 years ago. And long may this trend continue.. Hurrah. :eek:

+1 :)

twotone
11-07-2013, 15:33
If someone like me is buying vinyl then sales must be soaring, I've hardly bought a CD or spent money on music or films for about 20 years, since the Internet became massive in fact:eyebrows:

rubber duck
11-07-2013, 16:06
I quite like Michael Fremer, I've read some of his reviews and he seems to express a genuine opinion.

This might change your mind: http://www.high-endaudio.com/RR-FREMER-A.html

walpurgis
11-07-2013, 19:46

Yes, I've seen that before. It's not the only falling out he's had. But, I still find his reviews worth reading.

the_bat
11-07-2013, 22:36

On the other hand it might make you think you'd be pretty hacked off too if some jumped up web site author publicly accused you and all of your colleagues of being fundamentally corrupt and dishonest.