PDA

View Full Version : ADC XLM MkIII MM Cartridge

Jason P
10-07-2013, 15:58
In good nick, having been only lightly used by myself. Don't know how old it is, tip appears to be in good condition and sounds fine.

For those who haven't come across it before it's regarded as a bit of a classic MM cart. Highly compliant (so best used in low mass arms) with a tracking weight of between .9 and 1.7g or thereabouts (I used 1.25) it's got a very MC-like speed and treble extension. New styli are easily available. Boxed examples seem to go for silly money on the 'Bay ($200 upwards), I'm asking £75 posted OVNO for this very capable classic MM cart. No box but will be packed very well.

Jason

datawireless
13-07-2013, 08:49
Hi Jason,

You have a PM from me.
Regards,
Mike

DSJR
13-07-2013, 22:20
Bloody great cartridge with plenty of output too in series III form. I didn't like it at the time because the compliance was slightly reduced allowing 1.3g tracking instead of a fragile 1g in the earlier ones - see my stupid mentality there, as was normal in those days where low tracking weight was everything.....

I also understand Jico may have made the styli for this model of ADC, or at least the cantilever/diamond assemblies (hence the tapered cantilever and paint spot on it?). The later Phase 4 reverted to the straight cantilever, but diamond quality remained good.

The ONLY thing which may date this cartridge is the bass, which is 'organic' rather than lean-n-fast, as is the trend for a lot of cartridges these days I think. I keep trying to like the V15 III in the bass (I do think it's more in the vinyl than the cartridge though, as it changes from disc to disc), but returning to the ADC's I have ALWAYS gets the emotions going in a positive way - a reason why I keep so many of the beggars...

Mike, I do hope you give it a go and find it as enjoyable as I do. The body is shared with VLM, ZLM, Phase models (the ZLM/Phase 4 used a black painted version) and I believe the Astrion too, which had a still available saphire cantilever with fine-line diamond (a la the identically cantilevered B&O MMC20 CL and others) and even if the fixing lugs are the half open ones, it doesn't matter if you don't tighten too much. In fact, some blu-tack (or SME style black-tac in the tapered part) between the fixing lugs wouldn't do any harm to aid a stable fixing..

Mr Kipling
14-07-2013, 05:53
Dave, do you know what the difference between the MK II and MK III is?

datawireless
14-07-2013, 09:22
Hey Steve,

Don't keep us in suspense. What is the difference?

Regards,
Mike

Mr Kipling
14-07-2013, 11:06
Sorry Mike, but I don't know!

I would imagine Mr "Judo Geoff" will know, however!

Jason P
14-07-2013, 11:20
PM replied to...

walpurgis
14-07-2013, 11:59
Bloody great cartridge

Yes, I've had a couple of these, including the Integra version. They always sounded lovely.

As far as I can recall, the main difference between the various XLM models is the compliance. The VLM was lower spec and wasn't that great. The ZLM had an early line contact stylus if I'm not mistaken and is now rather sought after. There is data on Vinyl Engine I believe.

I no longer have any of these, but retain my earlier ADC 26, ADC 10E Mk.II and a couple of 10E Mk.IVs. The Mk.II being the best sounding of them!

I have tried many non MC cartridges and the ADCs just seem to sound more musical than any other types to me. A while back I was using a Denon DL-103 R and an ADC 10E Mk.IV side by side and it was difficult to tell them apart. They sounded very similar (and nice).

Sorry if I'm cluttering your thread Jason!

Jason P
14-07-2013, 14:53
No worries - it's all good!

DSJR
14-07-2013, 14:59
Some of this is sketchy, but here goes...

The XLM in original form was a lightened version of the 26 and relatives I think, the body featuring a simple mounting bracket with half-lugs that were a pain in the bum if slightly over-tightened. The thing when new tracked at well under a gramme, anything over causing it to all but collapse. Mine and the 26 I also have are bad sibilance trackers on modern hotter-cut vinyl too and way under the V15 series in overall tracing ability.

The series 2 XLM was a revelation in comparison. The compliance was slightly lower, tracing very much better and this model found many friends indeed for its spacious and utterly beguiling sound. The VLM II with bonded, rather than a naked diamond, was abig hit as well in slightly more massive tonearms.

Around the time of the series III model, I understand some internal changes to the coils may have been made, increasing the output (and inductance I think). The III had improved quality control and each body had a serial number engraved on the side of the terminal block together with a hinged stylus guard which didn't rattle like the Shures and Ortofons could. The ZLM with naked fine-line tip came along too and I loved this one, although it was criticised for emphasising surface ticks and splats more. The Astrion was the ultimate model, but I have never heard one and again, Colloms et al criticised it for surface noise.. The III was the most universal XLM to date

The Phase series offered yet another stylus suspension change and a splendid diamond once again on a plain tubular cantilever. The stylus housing was changed to a different composite, offering a much tighter fit to the body and the stereo stability was further enhanced, with no loss of the wonderful air and spacious quality. The very top end was slightly subdued on the Phase IV at least, but it was also utterly clean with no spitch or sibilance. The distantly related Sonus Blue cartridge (same designer, Peter Pritchard) was also a goodie, but all of these suffered huge peaks in the response above 20kHz - several db in fact, and this could upset some phono stages if their overload margins weren't good enough. The Blue was perfect in a Mayware Formula 4 arm though I remember fondly.

Jason P
14-07-2013, 15:47
The III had improved quality control and each body had a serial number engraved on the side of the terminal block

I've never noticed that before. Mine's 7L9715 for anyone interested... :interesting:

datawireless
14-07-2013, 17:18
Dave,

Thanks for this wonderful review, well written! But where does the QLM fit with all this? Would that have been prior to XLM versions or did it run in parallel?

Regards,
Mike

walpurgis
15-07-2013, 09:28
The QLMs were a lower spec, lower priced range of cartridges, similar in appearance to the XLM.

Mr Kipling
15-07-2013, 10:48
What are replacment styli like and cost?

walpurgis
15-07-2013, 21:26
I buy ADC styli from 'Carole's Needles' in the US. They have a good range of decent quality replacements, including some genuine original styli. The prices are sensible and they are helpful and communicative. Worth checking out for other makes too.

Mr Kipling
16-07-2013, 07:23
Thanks Geoff, I've seen a MK II body and thought about getting it.

DSJR
16-07-2013, 16:16
Since it's reported that Jico made the XLM III stylus, they could also be a good source. Originals can be got depending on the greed of the supplier (a £30 original but usually with some inflation added to make it well over a ton :()......

Yep, the QLM's were similar internals but a cheaper range of lower compliance styli. Still fun though, but where I came from, we tended not to sell cheaper cartridges and the Ortofon FF15E was a universally and deservedly popular model long before the AT95e blew all else away at peanuts money. I think the FF15E sort of morfed into the VMS5 and the better F15E the VMS10E I think, although there were differences in mounting at one time I believe.

datawireless
16-07-2013, 21:17
Thanks Dave,

That just about covers the Ortofon MM cartridges, except the OM range. I've got the OM-10, OM-20, the FF15E, the VMS20E Mk.II and also the Quartz MC. I'll see how they all stack up against the ADC XLM Mk.III that I have just bought.

With regards,
Mike

walpurgis
16-07-2013, 21:30
I think you may be in for a big surprise!

Keep us informed.

oldius
17-07-2013, 05:56
Has this sold? If not, I'd like it please

Jason P
17-07-2013, 08:49
Hi Geoff, the cart is now SOLD to Mike. Sorry about that!!

datawireless
19-07-2013, 18:13
Thanks Jason.

Arrived safe and sound. Won't have the time to try it yet as I'm in a middle of the house move. I'll report the results on the FORUM when they become available.

With regards,
Mike