PDA

View Full Version : Stax

southall-1998
05-07-2013, 13:52
Anyone here using Stax? Also better known as ''ear speakers''

Someday I'd like to try their entry level Stax system !!

SquireC
05-07-2013, 14:59
Yes, been using Stax since mid 70's. Many combinations available so try and hear as many as you can before buying.

Great if you've got kids - so you can listen loud when they are in bed. Great clarity.

southall-1998
05-07-2013, 23:51
Yup, and plenty dealers in London that stock them.

Mr Kipling
06-07-2013, 13:29
Hi Dave,

Have you had the SR 80 electrets? I've read the drivers are said to have been common to Audio Technica. I've noticed that some of the headband parts are the same too. Recently aquired some Audio Technica ATH-8s. They look pretty tired but appeared to work ok. On closer inspection however found that some one had been inside the drive units and removed the two resistors that prevent overloading. Why? I don't know.Would like some proper electrostatics, but beyond my price range.

Think your avatar is the bee's knees. It and the Lional Richtea are my favs.

pjdowns
16-07-2013, 21:06
My father has a pair that I've listened to a few times. They sound a lot like electrostatic speakers, which I believe is Stax intention. Personally I find them a little bright and thin sounding although they have more detail than any other headphones I've heard.

DSJR
17-07-2013, 11:56
VERY expensive now and some models not always what they were cracked up to be - all whispy treble zing and little bass weight. CHOOSE WITH CARE!!!!!!!

SquireC
17-07-2013, 14:58
Hi Dave,

Have you had the SR 80 electrets? I've read the drivers are said to have been common to Audio Technica. I've noticed that some of the headband parts are the same too. Recently aquired some Audio Technica ATH-8s. They look pretty tired but appeared to work ok. On closer inspection however found that some one had been inside the drive units and removed the two resistors that prevent overloading. Why? I don't know.Would like some proper electrostatics, but beyond my price range.

Think your avatar is the bee's knees. It and the Lional Richtea are my favs.

Sorry for the slow reply.

No, but I have a 212 energiser and 202 phones, and Lambda Nova Signatures sat in a cupboard. But I agree with pjdowns - I think the electrets sound a bit bright and thin - good, but bright and thin.

Can't remember where I got the avatar from - had it ages.