PDA

View Full Version : So, what did you think of this year's Glastonbury?

Barry
01-07-2013, 22:43
So, what did you think of this year's Glastonbury? (pace Chris)

Having, in a somewhat desultory fashion, viewed/listened to this year's Glastonbury, I was somewhat under-whelmed. However, before I go into details, I would be interested in what other members felt about Glastonbury 2013.

Comments from those AoS members who were there (Nick (Beechwoods) and Ali (Tate)) would be pertinent and of interest.

chelsea
01-07-2013, 23:15
Really enjoyed it.
Especially

nick cave
Pil
Django Django

Ali Tait
01-07-2013, 23:31
Was fantastic, as was the weather once the rain cleared away. Just got back, will comment more tomorrow.

daytona600
02-07-2013, 15:12
enjoyed the XX , portishead tom tom club , Alabama shakes & Chic myself

Tim
02-07-2013, 21:26
So, what did you think of this year's Glastonbury?
Do you mean the band line-up or the BBC coverage Barry?

Having been to a few festivals in my time (not Glasto) I think there is only one way to enjoy them and that's being there, so it would be great to have a report from an attendee ;)

chelsea
02-07-2013, 21:40
Have to disagree.
Have never been but i totally enjoy watching it all weekend.

Bigandbouncy
02-07-2013, 23:18
I loved it and took the weekend off to watch it all. I found the coverage great on BBC 2 through my surround system but horrible on BBC THREE. I'm trying to watch things again on both to see whether it is different stages or mixes? Arctic Monkeys sounded great, but other bands just sound lifeless?

Ali Tait
05-07-2013, 18:37
Got time to give an answer now. For me, this year was truly a vintage year. The Stones, Elvis Costello, Primal Scream and Seasick Steve with John Paul Jones were highlights, and after the rain on Thursday, the weather was fantastic. I'm still peeling!

One thing that still strikes me, even after all the times I've been here, is how bloody random this place is. There we were, watching the Stones (stonking gig btw) and who should fetch up beside us but Zoe Ball, sister and friends. She immediately took a shine to our ten year old, Josh, who then proceeded to feed her mini doughnuts, and her sister put her spangly cape around him, and they both took photos of him. Zoe then wanted to put Josh on her shoulders, but he's a solid lump, so I dissuaded her from that with the offer of a swig of a large bottle of rum and coke, which she was most happy to accept. We then all boogied along to the rest of the Stones, had a hug and a kiss after, and went our separate ways. What a thoroughly nice lady. And tall too!

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/3788/88mq.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/855/88mq.jpg/)

I would say however, our Glasto experience now is not most folks probably, we are lucky enough to have got to know the lovely couple that run The Green Room, the backstage bar at the Circus Arena, which is where we spend a lot of our time. Great bands playing, nice comfy sofas, a chance to get away from the crowds, nice clean toilets and even showers!

Another plus point is that profits from the bar go to a children's charity, so of course you feel obliged to drink as much as you can! :D

Already can't wait for next year.

synsei
05-07-2013, 20:05
For me the Chic set was my favourite this year, the band had the entire household singing like canaries. I was a little disappointed with the Stones gig to be honest, it wasn't their tightest performance and Keith's guitar had tuning issues to my ears. The XX were a bit of a let down as well, which is a crying shame as I was really looking forward to their performance and wth were The Orb doing? :eyebrows:

Ali Tait
05-07-2013, 20:10
Aye well, ye had to be there for the Stones!

I mean c'mon, it's a gig fer crissakes! :D

Jimbo
05-07-2013, 20:24
Chic were superb, tight backing band with great musicians and a collection of classic dance tunes. Very nice end with the crowd singing Daft Punk Get lucky back at Nile rodgers, touchinh moment.

jollyfix
05-07-2013, 20:28
Hi Don we should have met up in the green room bar, myself and johnny b ( AOS) there too.

synsei
05-07-2013, 20:53
Aye well, ye had to be there for the Stones!

I mean c'mon, it's a gig fer crissakes! :D

Admittedly it is difficult to conjure up the Glasto atmosphere in an 18ft x 14ft living room however Chic got damn close ;)

Chic were superb, tight backing band with great musicians and a collection of classic dance tunes. Very nice end with the crowd singing Daft Punk Get lucky back at Nile rodgers, touchinh moment.

Agreed Jim, it was an emotional set with some pleasant surprises. I was not aware that Nile Rodgers had penned hits for such a diverse collection of artists, the guy is a legend :)

Ali Tait
05-07-2013, 22:23
Hi Don we should have met up in the green room bar, myself and johnny b ( AOS) there too.

Aye, give us a shout next year!

johnB
05-07-2013, 22:45

...... Got to say that was some 5 days, only just recovered. Good to meet you Dave. I've been knackered all week , but just managed the energy to see the rather good Reverend & the Makers in Corby tonight.

synsei
05-07-2013, 23:48
...... Got to say that was some 5 days, only just recovered. Good to meet you Dave. I've been knackered all week , but just managed the energy to see the rather good Reverend & the Makers in Corby tonight.

Were they playing at The Cube John? :)

johnB
06-07-2013, 08:20
Were they playing at The Cube John? :)

Hi Dave, they played at The Zombie Hut, which is a great little venue up at Rockingham Triangle. Corby rugby club seem to have sold their old building (opposite the tennis dome) and it is now a 200+ person rock/indy venue which seems to be doing very well. Looks like a couple of bands a week, but open every night with an extensive "alternative" jukebox and a bar.

Are you from around Corby Dave?

Cheers
John

synsei
07-07-2013, 01:34
Hi Dave, they played at The Zombie Hut, which is a great little venue up at Rockingham Triangle. Corby rugby club seem to have sold their old building (opposite the tennis dome) and it is now a 200+ person rock/indy venue which seems to be doing very well. Looks like a couple of bands a week, but open every night with an extensive "alternative" jukebox and a bar.

Are you from around Corby Dave?

Cheers
John

Hi John :)

Aha!!! My stepdaughters have been going on about Zombie Hut for a while now but I did not realise it was a venue for live music. As it happens I live about a ten minute walk away from the old rugby club, behind the cemetery :)

johnB
07-07-2013, 09:57
Hi John :)

Aha!!! My stepdaughters have been going on about Zombie Hut for a while now but I did not realise it was a venue for live music. As it happens I live about a ten minute walk away from the old rugby club, behind the cemetery :)
Dave, I live about 4 miles away, up towards Uppingham. Good to make contact.
Cheers
John