PDA

View Full Version : Liang 845 set

GrahamMc
29-04-2009, 19:06
Just found this forum the other night , Loads of useful Info ,Great work guys :)

Back to my first post .............

Have noticed a few of the Mr Liang 845 SET amps up for sale recently and have read some good things on the net about it .
Noticed that there are a good few Liang owners on here and wondered if you could give me some Info as a potential buyer.

What is the best model to look for mk1/mk2 or mk3 and what were the differences between them ?

What upgrades have you done to yours ?

Anyone using there Liang with a separate Pre-Amp , is this possible ?

Sorry for all the questions on my first post but thought that I could get a honest opinion from some owners / ex-owners

Thanks
Graham

Sand Dancin Donkey Walker
29-04-2009, 19:39
Hi Graham

Welcome to AoS, hope you enjoy yourself here.

Mike is in the process of selling a Mr Liang see below,
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2619 (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2619)

Drop him a PM and I'm sure he will give you the info you want.

Don't know if you have done this yet, but why not drop a post in the Welcome section and introduce yourself.

Tells us a bit about what you like to listen to, and the gear you currently use, or would like to own etc.

Anything like that will do.

Most of all have fun here

Andy - SDDW

swampy
30-04-2009, 12:01
I Graham..

I have had a Mr Liang 845 Mk3 which is the latest version. The mk1 has round transformer cases and is a longer chassis. The mk2 is a 300B driver version. The latest mk3 has 5881 / 6N4P driver tubes which are cheaper if you want to tube roll.

You can easy mod the mk3 by changing the 2 audio coupling caps and 2 de-coupling caps. Also there is a resistor mod where you change the 35K cathode resistor on the driver tube to about 24K if you want a thicker, tighter sound with more slam. There is a thread is on diyaudio about this mod. You can mod them to use GM70's but that is more involved.

I think there may be a mk3 for sale on the wad forum BTW.

Regards

swamp

swampy
30-04-2009, 12:16
Here's a pic of inside a Liang mk3.

As you see, they are well made amps.

Ali Tait
30-04-2009, 17:19
Hows the f5 sounding Dave?

Mike
30-04-2009, 17:32
Looks like my Mk1 might still be for sale if anyone's interested? :confused:

GrahamMc
30-04-2009, 20:46
Looks like I'll give the Mk2 300B model a miss .......

Swampy - do you know if the mods you carried out on your Mk3 can be done to the Mk 1 ???

Has any one compared the mk1 to the Mk3 ?

Just trying to work out which model is best to look for guys

Thanks

ps - It will be driving a set of Hyperion 938's , not very common in the UK but great sounding speakers with valves , currently using a WD88va

Cheers
G

Mike
30-04-2009, 20:50
currently using a WD88va

Nice amp, used one for a couple of years. :)

GrahamMc
30-04-2009, 22:13
Nice amp, used one for a couple of years. :)

Ive had a fair few WAD kits , Mike

K5881
kel80
KAT6550

For the money I have yet to hear something that can beat them, thats one of the reasons that I want to try the Liang

swampy
02-05-2009, 10:01
Looks like I'll give the Mk2 300B model a miss .......

Swampy - do you know if the mods you carried out on your Mk3 can be done to the Mk 1 ???

Cheers
G

I am not sure if the resistor mod can be done but I am sure coupling caps can be upgraded. The problem with the mk3 is the 2nd stage drive tube is hardly turned on. Dropping the cathode R value turns it on a bit more at 5ma which is still low for a 5881. However this then drives the 845 harder and makes the sound fuller and maybe a little more solid state type slam.

swampy
02-05-2009, 10:37
Hows the f5 sounding Dave?

Hi Ali..

I took it to Ian Walkers with Dave's (ariel on WAD) F3. It sounded quite bright and clinical on his Tannoy's but it had only been used a few hours run in before I took it and I did have some speaker fuses fitted at the time. Also it was not finally biased (it was under biased as n.pass pdf suggests for a while) so the test was not fair but I was being pestered to finish it asap and bring it. I think everyone then dismissed it as a failure.

The F3 is cap coupled and the F5 is direct so to be safe I had some fusing in the output. I did not want to destroy a 4K pair of speakers !! This flattened the bass quite a bit. I have since removed the fuses plus re-biased.

I think it is amazingly good on my Logan's. One of most detailed insightful amps I have ever used on these. I would not part with it. Having had various tube amps and ss amps, bought and loaned this is the best on these speakers. Might not be the best on some cone speakers though. I think Dave's modded GM70 Mr Liang beats everything on Ian's Tannoys for example.

The statics I have are not a bright forward speaker but are quite laid back and very natural sounding so the match is bang on. Most tube amps sound far too thick and warm which is fine if you listen to 5 jazz musician's playing 5 different tunes at the same time with all dissonant notes ;)

Swamp(y)

Ali Tait
02-05-2009, 10:48
Your speakers sound different to mine then.I've got Colin's ESL III's and they are a little on the up-front side of things.They do sound very good to me though.I'd like to hear the F5,will you be bringing it to Owston?