PDA

View Full Version : The Donkey Walkers 'New Age' Musicians - Sort Of ?

Sand Dancin Donkey Walker
28-04-2009, 16:23
Hi Guys

Following on a bit, have tried to put these next lot in a catagory and 'New Age' Seems to be the best fit, for me anyway. There does seem a lot of Windham Hill records artists here.

Govi

Jewel Box
Your Lingering Touch
Jesse Cook

Nomad
Michael Hedges

Aeriel Bounderies
Breakfast In The Fields
Watching My Life Go By
William Ackerman

Passage
Sound Of Wind Driven Rain
Past Light
It Takes A Year
Mark Isham

Vapour Drawings
George Winston

Autumn
Winter
Azymuth

Rapid Transit
Najee

Najee
Andy - SDDW

John
28-04-2009, 17:23
I love Michael Hedges a great player
Jesse first two lbums arequite good but loses it for me after that
Govi I only got one album and this was to new age neuvo flemenco not ideal for me I like my music to have a bit of edge to it
Najee I got the first album had some moments of promise
Will AckermanAnother good guitar player but need to check out his music more
The rest I do not really know
On of my favourite players in the Neuvo Flemenco movement is Oscar Lopez great sense of melody but can really burn on the guitar too
Cheers for sharing

28-04-2009, 18:26
Hi John

Oscar Lopez looks like he has a large back catalogue of music, which would be a good one to go for, as a sort of initiation into his music :).

Have Govi - Jewel Box playing now, but has Azymuth - Rapid Transit qued up next :).

Andy - SDDW

John
28-04-2009, 18:45
I would start of with Heat
Also try out Rodrigo Y Gabriela for something a bit more rocky
but my all time fav is Strunz and Farah Live up there with Friday Night in San Francisco

28-04-2009, 18:53
John

Wil drop Heat into my Amazon wish list as a reminder. The Rodrigo Y Gabriela is a great CD which I already have, though will have to search out Strunz and Farah Live.

Lots to look out for, which is just what I need :).

Andy - SDDW

Haselsh1
16-05-2009, 12:24
Hey whilst we're on with New Age hippydom, does anyone remember the album by David Bedford called 'The Dance of the White Horse'...? I think that's what he was called and I'm sure I got the album title right but it was around 1977 and was based around Uffington and the whole white horse scene. I remember seeing a documentary film about the making of the album and was particularly interested as it seemed very prog rock.

On just checking various net sources as well as Amazon it would appear that it was actually called 'The Song of the White Horse' and it would appear that David Bedford is a composer of some repute. He has apparently done quite a lot of work with Mike Oldfield which makes a lot of sense. I do remember the album being very special and using lots of analogue synths like the ARP 2600.

REM
16-05-2009, 14:43
David Bedfords' orchestral version of Tubular Bells has to rank as one of the worst LPs of all time. Seriously, it sounds very under rehearsed at best, at worst it seems like the orchestra just didn't want to be performing the piece at all.
How on earth he managed to coax such a racket out of one of the top orchestras in the world (the LSO I think) amazed me. The only reason I can think of is Virgin Records reckoning that a quick cheap jobbie would do and all those bonged out hippie types wouldn't realise/bother that the orchestra hadn't even bothered tuning up, cashing in is what it's called I believe.

Cheers
Ralph