PDA

View Full Version : Album Club - Week 99: 25.06.2013: Green Day - American Idiot (2004)

Album Club
25-06-2013, 05:58
It's that bloke Alex_UK (http://theartofsound.net/forum/member.php?1555-Alex_UK)'s turn this week - he's a bit of a pratt but seems harmless enough most of the time...

Green Day - American Idiot (2004)
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/518vUjTWNNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

spotify:album:5dN7F9DV0Qg1XRdIgW8rke

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Idiot

Well, as promised, no chillout or flouncy girly-girls this time around - instead, some revivalist punk rock!

I've been a big fan of Green Day (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Day) since their first commercial album, Dookie back in 1994. After their initial success some would say they went a bit off the boil, before coming back a decade later with this stonker of an album!

This is their 7th studio album, essentially a concept album, or a punk-rock-opera, that follows the life of Jesus of Suburbia, a character with an "anti-hero" image created by the band's front man - Billie Joe Armstrong.

Mainly guitar based punk, with a couple of cracking slower songs, there really isn't a duff track on here, although it is one of those albums where you really need to play it from start to finish as the story in intertwined and some of the songs lead into each other. Still, a great way to spend 57 minutes of your life. :) I'm not quite so sure about the story, but it hardly matters when the album is this polished, and a pretty good recording, too.

Oh, and guess what - another Alex's "Play It For A Penny" (PIFAP) TM recommendation, available from Amazon for just 1p + P&P. :) I'm sure a lot of you will have it already - it's sold 15 million worldwide, and was number 1 in the UK on its debut.

I was lucky enough to see the American Idiot tour live at Brixton Academy in January 2005, and they were absolutely fantastic live. It's been turned into a Broadway "musical" and there is even supposed to be a film coming, which might be a step too far, but who knows...

I hope you enjoy something completely different from my normal recommendations. :)

sparrow
25-06-2013, 10:28
I like this album and my Mum loved the song Wake me up When September Ends which was believe it or not was played at her Funeral. Not my fave album though I like Dookie more.

Bazil
25-06-2013, 17:56
I might know some of these tracks as my daughter was a bit of a fan, I think :scratch:

The Grand Wazoo
25-06-2013, 23:13
Hmmm...well, it ain't Britney, that's for sure!
Playing this now, but in a rather low-fi manner. My daughter has the CD & it's playing through the laptop squeakers but I'll drop it into the Accuphase tomorrow to give it a proper go.
I saw Green Day in 1995 and thought they were quite good at the time, played 'Dookie' a few times but that's about it really as far as my track record goes with them.

The Grand Wazoo
30-06-2013, 23:42
Well, it's far better on a proper system!
I think this is the album where Green Day kind of found their stride - they always struck me as not really living up to what was promised, but for this one it seems to come together better. I suppose the correct word would be maturity.
There are plenty of familiar musical references including lots of missing moments from the Jones/Strummer songbook!
I don't really get the 'rock opera' thing, so I just listened to a collection of songs. Quite entertaining, I don't think I'll be seeking out my own copy but I won't run when I hear it again.
I gave it a 6

MartinT
21-08-2013, 07:16
This surprised me as I didn't really know Green Day and must have heard something untypical of theirs.
Fun in small quantities. 5/10.

synsei
21-08-2013, 07:37
As may have been ascertained from a recent post of mine I am not a fan of the band. A 4/10 from me as Wake me when September comes is tolerable...

Trumpton_Rioter
21-08-2013, 08:59
Found it a bit boring (4/10) myself this morning but at a different time on a different day then maybe I would vote differently

pjdowns
24-08-2013, 16:33
Good album but not my favourite of theirs. 8 out of 10

DanJennings
26-08-2013, 12:18
Not for me.

I used to be a big Green Day fan..... best albums for me are Kerplunk!, Dookie, and Insomniac.

I felt they sold out with this album, and lost all their punk edge and went all stadium rock. The only track I don't mind is 'Holiday' because it sounds a bit Clash-y

losenotaminute
26-08-2013, 14:05
Good in small doses, but the vocals are quite tiring to listen to for extended periods IMO. I will vote 6.

Lawrence

Canetoad
02-10-2013, 11:38
It do like Green Day but find it difficult to listen all the way to the end of their albums. They can sound a little too the same sometimes. 6/10 for me.