MikeMusic
24-06-2013, 12:50
Retail at £30,000 for the top end

:eek:

Thought you would like to know that

Surprised me

Marco
24-06-2013, 12:53
Are they any good? That's the question! :)

Marco.

MikeMusic
24-06-2013, 13:13
Not many people rate Naim for speakers, including some of their dealers (reading between lines)

Lee Henley
24-06-2013, 13:40
Heard Ovators at various shows, always sounded dreadful

Sent from my Phoney iPhone using Crapatalk

YNWaN
24-06-2013, 13:43
In the past Naim speakers sold almost exclusively to people who already owned Naim amplification and even then, like me, many Naim amp owners didn't buy their speakers.

The new Ovator range are consciously designed to appeal to a wider audience and hopefully sell to people who don't already own Naim equipment. In a way I think Naim have been successful in achieving their goals, the Ovators certainly sound very different to their previous models. However, such changes are rather a double edged sword; whilst the Ovators have some strengths that their previous speakers didn't even hint at, they haven't really retained the positive points from those designs. In addition, they use some quite elaborate and expensive to implement isolation ideas and, personally, I'm not convinced that these really do a lot for performance (other than raise the cost).

chelsea
24-06-2013, 14:08
The only naim speakers i've heard sound ok were n-sats.

I'am still amazed people buy there speakers.

MikeMusic
24-06-2013, 14:26
In the past Naim speakers sold almost exclusively to people who already owned Naim amplification and even then, like me, many Naim amp owners didn't buy their speakers.

The new Ovator range are consciously designed to appeal to a wider audience and hopefully sell to people who don't already own Naim equipment. In a way I think Naim have been successful in achieving their goals, the Ovators certainly sound very different to their previous models. However, such changes are rather a double edged sword; whilst the Ovators have some strengths that their previous speakers didn't even hint at, they haven't really retained the positive points from those designs. In addition, they use some quite elaborate and expensive to implement isolation ideas and, personally, I'm not convinced that these really do a lot for performance (other than raise the cost).

Ok if you like all Naim of course.
£30K is a bit steep tho'

istari_knight
24-06-2013, 15:09
Very nearly bought a pair of Naim Allae a few years ago, sounded great to me... Cant speak for any other models though !

Mr. C
24-06-2013, 17:12
Truly one of the most overpriced, under performing speakers on the market today, plus as many have pointed out they do sound grim

pjdowns
24-06-2013, 19:17
Not many people rate Naim for speakers, including some of their dealers (reading between lines)

I am a fan of Naim amplification and digital equipment but have never liked their speakers, to me they always sound like harsh boxes.

Marco
25-06-2013, 06:18
I've not heard the Ovators in anger, but I've liked quite a few Naim speakers in the past, namely SBLs, NBLs, DBLs, Allaes and SL2s.

They're very much an acquired taste, and are far from neutral sounding, but if you like what they do, musically (in conjunction with Naim equipment), there are no other speakers to touch them.

Marco.

DSJR
25-06-2013, 12:15
Ovators are more 'Naimie' than most of the earlier models and it depends on one's definition of 'High Fidelity' to the truth as to whether you like the recipe or not. They certainly look good, especially in very rich people's designer rooms and this is the market they're aimed at I think :)