PDA

View Full Version : FS: Zu DL-103 MC cartridge

jandl100
21-06-2013, 17:33
A lovely thing!

Re-tipped with an elliptical stylus by a German company (see photo for label details)

0.3mV output.

I am unsure of hours played, but it still tracks like a good'un. :)

£140 UK SpecDel delivered.

Mounting screws included.
Headshell not included.

Note - this is a seriously heavy cartridge and may need special attention to balance the tonearm!

http://imageshack.us/scaled/medium/692/uwm.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/692/uwm.jpg/)

http://imageshack.us/scaled/medium/23/7nis.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/23/7nis.jpg/)

http://imageshack.us/scaled/medium/89/g681.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/89/g681.jpg/)

User211
21-06-2013, 18:35
It is very good for the money I heard it sometime back. Looks fabulous too!

jandl100
21-06-2013, 20:51
Good lord. No takers ... you'll be hard pressed to get better sound for the money! ;)

rubber duck
21-06-2013, 21:33
Unknown hours perhaps?

jandl100
21-06-2013, 22:07
Well, let's face it - when someone says 300-400 hours, for example, they haven't really got a clue, have they, and could easily be 50% or more out! :)

This one tracks fine, so there must be minimal wear.

Too honest, that's my trouble! :lol:

Audio Al
22-06-2013, 04:38
Re-tipped with an elliptical stylus

Jerry , is this what it had fitted when new ? or a different type stylus .

Also what type of arm did you use it on ?

Cheers :)

jandl100
22-06-2013, 05:58
Hi Al

No, the original would have been the spherical stylus as found on the standard 103.

Arms? -- ooo -- several of the Techie 1210 Jap arm variety; always good for MCs, ime - and more recently an Audio Technica AT-1010.
__

It came to me with an alleged "less than 200 hours" on it. The condition as judged by superficial appearance was/is immaculate looking, so I tend to believe that.
With me it's been very much a secondary source, CD is my main thing by far.
My bet is it still has most of its life ahead of it. :)

Here's another pic, in better lighting conditions ...

http://imageshack.us/scaled/medium/32/r5hp.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/32/r5hp.jpg/)

Yummy! :drool: - best looking cart I've had.

wiicrackpot
22-06-2013, 06:19
Jerry, is that body reusable for dropping in another 103 variant in the furture if needs be or is it bonded to it's present gubbings for life?.

PM sent.

jandl100
22-06-2013, 06:25
Jerry, is that body reusable for dropping in another 103 variant in the furture if needs be or is it bonded to it's present gubbings for life?.

I can't say for sure, Guv.

It's just attached with gloop - whether it's removable gloop I wouldn't care to hazard a guess!

Anyone know?

wiicrackpot
22-06-2013, 06:37
I can't say for sure, Guv.

It's just attached with gloop - whether it's removable gloop I wouldn't care to hazard a guess!

Anyone know?
Okey Dokey, consider it sold to me. :yay:

jandl100
22-06-2013, 06:43
SOLD stp etc etc :)

wiicrackpot
22-06-2013, 08:49
Waited for bank to open and................Paid !!!

Hope i like it. :)

jandl100
22-06-2013, 08:58
:thumbsup:

All packed and ready to be posted today. :)

Let me know how you get on with it - I think it's a lovely cart. You might need to add a bit of extra weight at the counterweight of your arm - the Zu is very heavy as I mentioned in the ad.

ALSO .... I sold another rebodied Denon 103 a couple of years back - and after giving it a quick listen and falling instantly in love with it, the buyer then gave his new pride and joy a bit of a brush-up to remove a few specks of dust. And broke some ultra-thin wires in the cart at the same time. The cart never worked again. :doh:
Be warned!!!! ;)

wiicrackpot
22-06-2013, 09:11

All packed and ready to be posted today. :)

Let me know how you get on with it - I think it's a lovely cart. You might need to add a bit of extra weight at the counterweight of your arm - the Zu is very heavy as I mentioned in the ad.

ALSO .... I sold another rebodied Denon 103 a couple of years back - and after giving it a quick listen and falling instantly in love with it, the buyer then gave his new pride and joy a bit of a brush-up to remove a few specks of dust. And broke some ultra-thin wires in the cart at the same time. The cart never worked again. :doh:
Be warned!!!! ;)
Really !!, we could be the fastest pair of guns in the forum, meet ya High Noon at the O.K. Corral. :lol:

You know what Jerry, feel the guys pain, i thought i did the same months back after i bought SteveW's Argo on here,
decided to give it a light brush and swear to god i couldn't see a couple of wires attached to the 4 pins,
kid you not my arse hit the ground until i mounted it and everything was fine, those wires weren't visible to my tired old eyes.

Barry
22-06-2013, 09:33
You got one hell of a bargain there Andy! I was mulling over whether to buy it myself.

I would also caution you to be very careful not to break the coil lead-out wires, I did the same myself on a 'nuded' EMT cartridge; much to my annoyance.

The Denon 103 is third in my list of top MCs: in order they are EMT, Ortofon SPU and Denon 103. However the 103s that I have are the 'cooking' versions, your Zu modified 103 will be a whole lot better.

Congratulations.

wiicrackpot
22-06-2013, 09:42
You got one hell of a bargain there Andy! I was mulling over whether to buy it myself.

I would also caution you to be very careful not to break the coil lead-out wires, I did the same myself on a 'nuded' EMT cartridge; much to my annoyance.

The Denon 103 is third in my list of top MCs: in order they are EMT, Ortofon SPU and Denon 103. However the 103s that I have are the 'cooking' versions, your Zu modified 103 will be a whole lot better.

Congratulations.
Thanks for the reassuring words Barry, you know the saying ''whats meant for you won't go by you'',
work late on Fridays so never took too much notice of the forum last night, opened my eyes this morning and there it was jumping out at me, :eek: so smash and grab job duly done. :cool:

twotone
22-06-2013, 11:37
Thanks for the reassuring words Barry, you know the saying ''whats meant for you won't go by you'',
work late on Fridays so never took too much notice of the forum last night, opened my eyes this morning and there it was jumping out at me, :eek: so smash and grab job duly done. :cool:

I was going to buy it last night Andy cause the price was just excellent but it would have meant me changing my set up to MC or buying a MC phono stage and all of that stuff so didn't, obviously, but I've read great things about these carts.

BTW, Jerry is great to deal with.

wiicrackpot
22-06-2013, 12:30
Couldnae believe my luck to be honest Tony, when i noticed it was posted the day before,
i said to myself ''why's it still here?'', double checked the ad to see if there was something wrong with it and that was it. :)

Reading back, i think i was a bit rude to Al, should have asked for 2nd dibs after Al as he showed an interest 1st,
if he had threw a stroppy stomp, i would've backed out but it's done now, thanks for Jerry recco,
seems he's solid gold as a few i have dealt with on here. :cool:

Audio Al
22-06-2013, 19:55
Reading back, i think i was a bit rude to Al, should have asked for 2nd dibs after Al as he showed an interest 1st,
if he had threw a stroppy stomp, i would've backed out but it's done now,

Andy I was a bit surprised , But life's too short , enjoy your new cart ;)

wiicrackpot
22-06-2013, 21:51
Andy I was a bit surprised , But life's too short , enjoy your new cart ;)
Al,

It was acted on total impulse and totally out of character, :o not the kind of payback for your kind hearted gesture of a free copy of ''Graceland'', glad you have big shoulders and thanks for the good wishes, :youtheman: i owe you 2 and will pay back in kind someday.

jandl100
24-06-2013, 06:31
Oops. I wish I'd had two of them to sell.

The Zu should be arriving today, Andy, if 1st class post lives up to its name!

wiicrackpot
24-06-2013, 10:22
Jerry,

Right on time, just received it and liking whats in front of me, that Zu body is very nifty and stylii looks in good shape,
to think peeps are producing home spun bodies for upwards of £80.00, this is a no brainer,
love the way Zu has set the nuded cartridge in resin and really pro job too. :cool:

Many thanks.

jandl100
24-06-2013, 17:30