PDA

View Full Version : I like the look of this

Audio Al
21-06-2013, 14:52
Looks very appealing

I think its very smart , Just hope it sounds as good as it looks , Anyone have one ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HiFi-Class-A-match-6N11-12AU7-6922-Tube-valve-vacuum-Headphone-Amplifier-amp-/111102624092?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiF i_Amplifiers&hash=item19de3b815c

:)

datawireless
21-06-2013, 15:05
Looks very appealing

I think its very smart , Just hope it sounds as good as it looks , Anyone have one ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HiFi-Class-A-match-6N11-12AU7-6922-Tube-valve-vacuum-Headphone-Amplifier-amp-/111102624092?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiF i_Amplifiers&hash=item19de3b815c

:)

Several different ones are shown on the bottom of the same eBay page. About £35 with P&P Free of charge.
The one you were looking at has £12.95 postage slapped on it and ships out of Hong Kong. Don't bid any more than a couple of quid.

Regards,
Mike

Reffc
21-06-2013, 15:56
Don't think much of the Chinglish or the techy bit

"1, 6N11/6DJ8 tube,it's perfact for listen person voice.

2, 12AU7,6922 tube is perfact for listen Instrumental Performance"

:lol:
What a load of whatsits.

12AU7 is NOT a 6922 either. In fact its a completely different twin triode entirely. An E88CC is closer to the 6922 which uses slightly lower heater current and the 6DJ8 is an ECC88. 6N11 I think is a 6N1p which can be substituted for an ECC88.

Makes you wonder...if they can't be bothered getting this right, it makes you wonder about the rest of the circuit.

Haselsh1
21-06-2013, 16:07
My own previous experience tells me to stay well clear of almost anything Chinese and valvey.

Rare Bird
21-06-2013, 16:11
I stay away from anything valvey period :rfl:

User211
21-06-2013, 16:25
I had one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Version-Bravo-V2-Valve-Class-A-ONE-Tube-Headphone-Amplifier-preamp-/120924838820?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item1c27ae9ba4

Used to use it as a tube preamp to a Behringer A500. Well, just to "tubeify" the sound, really. Used to sound pretty damned good (for the money) with a NOS Tesla tube in it.

Til it broke after about two months, that is:D

Oldpinkman
21-06-2013, 16:30
I don't know about that particular one, but I have a Muse running a 6922 (looks identical from the pic). It's well built (reservations about the "Alps" pot- which is linear). If you wield a soldering iron they have great scope. My wife bought mine as a "surprise" Christmas present. She got a colleague at school to test it and it didn't work, so job 1 was to fix it. It blew the power supply after little use, and whilst ordering a replacement off Ebay I used 2 car batteries. the 6800uf capacitor on the power supply is 25v rated and exploded. It arrived biased at 11.2v left 16.5v right. Setting both to 13.5v made a HUGE difference. Lovely warm sound - but of the roll-off filter variety due to the capacitance(like a ski-slope). Changed the IRF630 for IRL530 (watch - it gets hot) and that really started to sort things. (Oh - and I have some NOS mullard tubes I put in). There's loads on the web about modding them, and they have great scope, but are more novelty value as supplied. Next (current?) job is to provide a new power supply to the heater. But its not bad now - cross-talk being the main issue, which isnt too noticeable on most material.
The little led under the valve is pretty :)

Rare Bird
21-06-2013, 16:41
Wassup with Linear as Pots? The best pre amps i built utilised a Linear pot.

Reffc
21-06-2013, 16:48
Why folk would shell out for such electronic "tat" (imho) I don't know, especially hifi enthusiasts who generally value good quality and performance. As a novelty item, I guess it has a market but I wouldn't buy one and expect it to last the year. Scrub that...in fact I wouldn't buy one! You can buy very decent alternative kits at reasonable money if a little DIY is order of the day. Headfi would probably have details of decent alternatives.

Oldpinkman
21-06-2013, 17:41
Wassup with Linear as Pots? The best pre amps i built utilised a Linear pot.

I have logarithmic hearing :mental:

Oldpinkman
21-06-2013, 17:45
Why folk would shell out for such electronic "tat" (imho) I don't know, especially hifi enthusiasts who generally value good quality and performance. As a novelty item, I guess it has a market but I wouldn't buy one and expect it to last the year. Scrub that...in fact I wouldn't buy one! You can buy very decent alternative kits at reasonable money if a little DIY is order of the day. Headfi would probably have details of decent alternatives.

Mine was a present from the woman who loves me, trying to "get" this new hifi thing and go one better than socks. I would struggle to buy a kit for thst price. With a wee bit of attention it measures and soundd surprisingly good

Reffc
21-06-2013, 20:48
Mine was a present from the woman who loves me, trying to "get" this new hifi thing and go one better than socks. I would struggle to buy a kit for thst price. With a wee bit of attention it measures and soundd surprisingly good

Fair comment and a good point. Decent kits used to represent great vfm but that's possibly not the norm these days. My own experience of Far Eastern kit though (with a few notable exceptions) has been that the kit is pretty dire in almost every respect except cost.

walpurgis
21-06-2013, 21:15
My own previous experience tells me to stay well clear of almost anything Chinese and valvey.

That's the opposite to my experience. I've had some good sounding reliable stuff at decent prices from the far east.

Oldpinkman
22-06-2013, 08:08
My earlier reference to reservations about the pot were more its provenance than its linearity. I think it's a counterfeit. And like the many counterfeit chinese shure sm57's that I have found over the years, not up to the real thing. The linear pot issue is usability not sound quality. On this amp there is too little travel for my wrist to discern the movement between silent and nearly full volume, and then all the rest of the travel increasing the volume just a bit. The Alps blue 20k log on my pre-amp (first component on the team-sheet for me) is quarter volume at quarter turn, half volume at half turn etc (nearly)
My understanding is this is to do with how the human hearing perceives changes in sound pressure levels. This is why we use the decibel to measure volume. Log pots for volume controls, linear pots for toy train speed controllers was how I was brung up. Doubtless my wife is right and I weren't brung up proper :lol:

Oldpinkman
22-06-2013, 08:20

walpurgis
22-06-2013, 10:07
I'd forgotten that music is just maths. Must dig out 'Numbers' by Soft Cell!

Oldpinkman
22-06-2013, 10:19
I'd forgotten that music is just maths. Must dig out 'Numbers' by Soft Cell!

Soz. I blame the drink :cool: But, married to a music teacher, music is maths. The major scale is linked to Fibonacci and the "Golden Number". And pitch change in western notes is logarithmic. Does it ever make you wonder who invented it all? Is it the Aliens who trash my tonearm physics theory? And while we're on the subject, if we look at the "basic" major scale being all the white notes on the piano, why was the note it starts with C and not A? Why sharps and flats instead of 12 letters? No wonder I make such a rubbish noise playing guitar.:doh:

Oldpinkman
22-06-2013, 13:34
12AU7 is NOT a 6922 either. In fact its a completely different twin triode entirely. An E88CC is closer to the 6922 which uses slightly lower heater current and the 6DJ8 is an ECC88. 6N11 I think is a 6N1p which can be substituted for an ECC88.

mine came with a 6922 and i am running with mullard ecc88. Its a wonder they work at all - these valves are designed for 350v not 24v - but they do :)