PDA

View Full Version : WTD: Rega RB 300 or Rega RB 250, any variation

RochaCullen
20-06-2013, 10:26
Hi Folks,

First stepin pimpin the techie, want to try it with a new arm.

Any folks with an RB 250 or RB 300 going spare, please get in contact. And if anyone has the matching techie tonearm plate for rega arms, please contact me also.

Regards,

Nathan

Neff
20-06-2013, 20:37
You have PM

RochaCullen
20-06-2013, 21:06
Still on the lookout...

wobbleu
21-06-2013, 12:08
You have another PM

DSJR
21-06-2013, 12:13
I don't wish to spoil a sale here, but a REGA RB arm on a TECHIE?????????

I thought Marco had said enough about the consequences of using these together. I think maybe a non-metal mounting plate may just be called for, but as I haven't tried this myself, it's just gut-instinct on my part...

Sorry chaps......... Hope I'm proved VERY wrong...

RochaCullen
21-06-2013, 13:56
I don't wish to spoil a sale here, but a REGA RB arm on a TECHIE?????????

I thought Marco had said enough about the consequences of using these together. I think maybe a non-metal mounting plate may just be called for, but as I haven't tried this myself, it's just gut-instinct on my part...

Sorry chaps......... Hope I'm proved VERY wrong...

Hey David,

Can you point me to the post where Marco mentions this?

Thanks,

Nathan

Audioman
21-06-2013, 14:44
Freefallrob successfully used Rega arms (251 I think) on Techies at the Scalford show. Praised as one of the best sounding rooms. Marco doesn't like heavily damped arms like Rega / SME but others disagree. I think taste comes into it to a large extent. With these arms a degree of decoupling may be beneficial. (two piece arm board, rubber grommets or bluetack ?)

Paul.

Oldpinkman
21-06-2013, 16:36
Why is the RB300 "heavily damped"? And why would decoupling help a damped arm? In my experience the RB300 (which I think is a decent arm, dave - before you start, and good value for the money) rings like a bell. The problem is the bearings are good enough to feed all that energy into the armboard, so I guess if you have nowhere else for it to go, maybe "decoupling" helps. Although I preferred the Mission 774, the RB300 worked well on the PT, which had an aerolam subchassis. (Even better on an Anni which had a balsawood aerolam sandwich sub-chassis)

DSJR
21-06-2013, 17:15
Measurements show the RB arm pipe to be practically as inert as it's possible to get, along with the 774 damped tube, the SME IV and V and the Alphason! The RB300 has two small resonances, one at 900Hz or so and another just the other side of 1kHz. The NEW RB arms show neither apparently, due to the mass-redistribution in the tubes' casting. I wouldn't say this is damping as such, but more proper design, but I know others may well disagree..

The Rega based arms that DO ring like a bell are bodged by Origin Live - check HFW reviews for confirmation if you don't believe me. The massive 400Hz ring in one of these makes the sound more 'exciting' apparently.........

The main structural criticism of both the SME IV and V, as well as the RB models, is the very tight coupling between headshell and pillar via uber-toleranced bearings. Linn put some decoupling in via a one'end vertical bearing mount, which I believe the Ekos does today. The Syrinx PU2 (and possibly PU3 and AO PU7) had one end of the vertical bearing shaft fixed, the other end of the shaft 'floating' in a rubberised bushing of some description. It's this direct coupling which makes me concerned about some decks and the supposed 'dead' sound from Rega RB arms mounted on them. I think very few here have ever bothered with NAS decks, but the collet adjustable Rega tonearm mount seems to set these arms free sonically and I've NEVER heard an RB300 in stock form perform as well as it does here. This is the main reason why I tend to get antsi about people slagging the RB 300 sonics off, as they possibly haven't heard it optimally - IMO and IME of course.

datawireless
22-06-2013, 23:46
Hi you guys,

I'm also interested in a spare RB250 or RB300 arm but for different use.
Nathan, if you get more than one reasonable offer, point them in my direction when you've found what you were after.

Thanks and regards,
Mike