PDA

View Full Version : david bowie / spinning black disks

The Vinyl Adventure
26-04-2009, 23:03
i have made, what is to me, an interesting dicovery this evening! my fiancee got me into david bowie 3 years back when we first met but the only music of his she had on cd was the greatest hits and heathen, everything else on vinyl.
unfortunatly the record player i had when we met was well on its way out and i didnt trust it with my own records never mind those of the new pretty girl in my life. my current record player has only been working a month and we have only just got round to listening to the bowie disks tonight. the point of this tale is that i have never until today listened to bowie on vinyl! i have always felt despite how much i liked the songs there was something missing from the sound!
i think tonight i have discoverd that the missing factor is a black spinning disk. the particular disk we listened to is dreadfuly warped and fairly scratched but that aside it really does sound so much better than cd! i have a few vinyl i have on cd. love forever changes for eg i have on cd and 180g sometimes i like one sometimes the other, david bowie does on the other hand sound significantly better and just more suited to vinyl.
has anyone else noticed this? is this just a completely personal thing?

The Grand Wazoo
26-04-2009, 23:23
Abso-bleedin-lutely!!

I had quite a bit of Bowie on CD, but got rid of most of it because it was no comparison to my crusty old vinyl copies - now the only CD of his I have left is 'The Man Who Sold The World'.

The first LP I ever knew inside out, back to front & upside down was 'Ziggy Stardust'. But I listened to it as though I'd never heard it before when I got a Japanese pressing - it knocked even the UK vinyl copy into a cocked hat.

The Vinyl Adventure
27-04-2009, 00:25
listening to jeff buckley grace 180g now this too sounds better than the cd but its more that his voice just seems to stand out more. its not the bloody hell i havent heard this how its suposed to sound i had with bowie

anyone else got any vinyl over cd preferances or visa-versa
perhaps contrivertialy i prefer my pink floyd digital the 30th aniversary dark side of the moon cd is My favorite sounding cd i own by a country mile and the old vinyl i have cant touch it for dynamics.

DSJR
27-04-2009, 07:23
Bowie's CD's have a mix of heaven and hell I've found. Such is the balance of my system, my LP's of Ziggy Stardust sound constricted and dull, whereas the CD's are much better. My original LP cut of Aladin Sane is much better though and evokes sixth form memories of a Garrard SP25 III with G800H, Teleton 202 amp and Audiomaster Sonata's blasting this LP out...

My preferred CD's are the original re-masters done in the early nineties and featuring bonus tracks. The original issues on CD aren't very good IMO, especially those of Low and Ziggy Stardust..

Haselsh1
27-04-2009, 08:07
I have a lot of Bowie on vinyl from Ziggy through to Scary Monsters and would never consider replacing them with CD but then of course I'm not a big fan of CD anyway. CD is simply convenient in the same way that digital photography is convenient. Audio/music and photography has never been about convenience for me, it is about art and self and setting standards.

I wholeheartedly agree with the comments about Pink Floyds 'Dark Side of the Moon' on SACD re-release. It is stunning and far better than my original vinyl copy. Has anyone heard the re-issue on vinyl...?

DSJR
27-04-2009, 08:28
DSOTM on the stereo layer of the SA-CD is truly dire!!! I have heard a Dolby A copy of the master-tape and I can assure you there should be TREBLE on this recording - the clock strikes SHOULD be metallic (as the real longcase strike is a metal hammer on a bell), not with the hammer encased in rubber.

I also want as high a fidelity as possible, and I'm afraid most LP based systems don't come close, with huge amounts of measurable added distortion adding a pleasant "effect" to the proceedings a lot of the time.

Setting standards? try some different speakers without the over-damped bass and steely spit that passes for "treble" in many FE systems. Some classic Spendors or Harbeths would be a great place to start...;)

Haselsh1
27-04-2009, 08:33
I simply reiterate what I have already said.

DSJR
27-04-2009, 08:47
Each to their own art eh? :)

Haselsh1
27-04-2009, 11:22
Absolutely...!!!

Barry
27-04-2009, 22:23

... perhaps controversally I prefer my Pink Floyd digital, the 30th anniversary 'Dark Side of the Moon' CD is my favorite sounding CD (that) I own by a country mile and the old vinyl I have can't touch it for dynamics.

The CD version of DSOTM I have is the re-mastered version: EMI 7243 8 29752 2 ((P)1992, (C)1994), and the mix differs from the original (the background voices are more forward). I can't comment about the dynamics, except to say that the final track sends shivers down my spine.

Barry

The Vinyl Adventure
27-04-2009, 23:53
i am fairly certain that my vinyl copy of dsotm is shagged if anyone can recomend a particular version i might be able to get hold of??

The Vinyl Adventure
27-04-2009, 23:58
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pink-Floyd-Dark-Side-of-the-Moon-180-gram-Vinyl-LP_W0QQitemZ250414234422QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Reco rds?hash=item250414234422&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1687|66%3A4|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18

anyone have any experience with this particular version?