PDA

View Full Version : A very basic power lead question.

Krisbee
25-04-2009, 20:43
I no electrician, so I thought I'd better ask this question before I do something stupid.

I need to move my Rotel RA-01 amp, but the stock mains lead will be around 50cm too short. The amp has a standard IEC socket but only use two pins as does the supplied lead. As it has a moulded plug I cannot see if it's using a twin and earth cable or how it's wired up.

So instead of the Rotel supplied power lead, would it be safe to use a fused standard twin and earth 3 pin kettle type lead with this amp?

Mike
25-04-2009, 21:22
:) Yes.

Krisbee
25-04-2009, 22:28
"I no electrician", my English is as Chinese as the wen shin cables!

So Mike, no frying tonight then ...

DSJR
26-04-2009, 17:11
No! ;)

Mike Reed
26-04-2009, 18:59
There you have it! A resounding 'yes' from Mike and a similar 'no' from Dave

Take your pick or split the difference.

Excuse my higgorance, but I though a 'standard IEC socket/plug' was 3 pin, carrying an earth. Am mildly surprised that a mains lead should have no earth to an amp, unless the casing is plastic.

Your Rotel lead should be similar to every other 'kettle lead', and if another lead fits, there's no problem, whether it's wired for earth or not.

Spectral Morn
26-04-2009, 19:43
There you have it! A resounding 'yes' from Mike and a similar 'no' from Dave

Take your pick or split the difference.

Excuse my higgorance, but I though a 'standard IEC socket/plug' was 3 pin, carrying an earth. Am mildly surprised that a mains lead should have no earth to an amp, unless the casing is plastic.

Your Rotel lead should be similar to every other 'kettle lead', and if another lead fits, there's no problem, whether it's wired for earth or not.

Any IEC power lead is fine. However I have seen some with no earth and some CD players with no earth pin in the socket go figure. I don't think...can't remember if I have ever seen an amplifier with out and earth pin. It won't matter unless you try to fit a two slot IEC into a three pin socket and the chances of that happening outside of an audio shops demo room (happened to me ;)) is slim I would have thought.

Regards D S D L

Ali Tait
26-04-2009, 19:52
If the item is described as double-insulated (Look for a square inside a square on the rear panel label) It won't have a mains earth.

Spectral Morn
26-04-2009, 19:57
If the item is described as double-insulated (Look for a square inside a square on the rear panel label) It won't have a mains earth.

My Marantz SA7 has a two pin socket...no logo on the back...I suppose its the IEC version of a fig8 lead, but because of the socket plug shape you can't reverse the mains polarity + to - , - to + as you can with a Fig8.

Regards D S D L

Barry
26-04-2009, 20:01
Any IEC power lead is fine. However I have seen some with no earth and some CD players with no earth pin in the socket go figure. I don't think...can't remember if I have ever seen an amplifier with out and earth pin. It won't matter unless you try to fit a two slot IEC into a three pin socket and the chances of that happening outside of an audio shops demo room (happened to me ;)) is slim I would have thought.

Regards D S D L

I can imagine that equipment which is double insulated might be fitted with an IEC receptical wherein the earth pin is missing or, if fitted, is made of plastic, but a mains lead without earth continuity connections?

What is to stop someone innocently using such a lead with equipment that does require a connection to earth? Sound decidedly risky to me; I would destroy the two conductor lead and repace it with a three conductor version.

Barry

Krisbee
26-04-2009, 20:14
Am mildly surprised that a mains lead should have no earth to an amp, unless the casing is plastic.

Shocking ain't it :) I don't have a digital camera but here's a diag. from the manual.

Does this mean the amp will not benefit from using a fancy after market screened power cable?

The amp must be double insulated, but Barry has a valid point about leaving the two pin cable around. :eyebrows:

Spectral Morn
26-04-2009, 20:47
I can imagine that equipment which is double insulated might be fitted with an IEC receptical wherein the earth pin is missing or, if fitted, is made of plastic, but a mains lead without earth continuity connections?

What is to stop someone innocently using such a lead with equipment that does require a connection to earth? Sound decidedly risky to me; I would destroy the two conductor lead and replace it with a three conductor version.

Barry

Hi Barry.

It won't fit, two slots.....three pin socket......:lol::lol:. Earth pin stops it fitting.

Any way I don't work there any more so good luck to them. These leads were supplied with the players etc that only had two pins in the sockets.

Regards D S D L

Barry
26-04-2009, 20:57
Hi Barry.

It won't fit, two slots.....three pin socket......:lol::lol:. Earth pin stops it fitting.

Any way I don't work there any more so good luck to them. These leads were supplied with the players etc that only had two pins in the sockets.

Regards D S D L

About five minutes after I made the posting, it dawned on me exactly what you have you have just described.:doh: Brain not properly engaged!

Regards

Barry

Mike Reed
26-04-2009, 21:12
Hi Barry.

Regards D S D L

My brain hurts! If they are the two pins (i.e. the plug) on the back of the Rotel, (and I can't see any earth pin) as has all my kit (with an extra pin, of course), what is to stop a 3 hole socket (as any IEC kettle lead) being plugged in?

For Pete's sake, Kristoff (?), grab your REAL kettle lead (from the kettle) and see if it fits; no, don't tell me; you've got a cordless!

I really must lay off that stuff................

Krisbee
26-04-2009, 21:12
Sure a two pin cable wont fit a 3 pin socket, but someone just might damage the 3rd pin in a ham fisted effort while attempting to use it by mistake.

Mike Reed
26-04-2009, 21:18
Apologies, Krisbee, for not correctly remembering your name, but your simple little request seems to be causing all sorts of cerebral chaos......or is it just me?

Barry
26-04-2009, 21:19
My brain hurts! If they are the two pins (i.e. the plug) on the back of the Rotel, (and I can't see any earth pin) as has all my kit (with an extra pin, of course), what is to stop a 3 hole socket (as any IEC kettle lead) being plugged in?

For Pete's sake, Kristoff (?), grab your REAL kettle lead (from the kettle) and see if it fits; no, don't tell me; you've got a cordless!

I really must lay off that stuff................

Are you drinking what I'm drinking?

Barry