PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a denon103/A23 SUT

Darrenw
25-04-2009, 11:00
Hi

Ever the optimist I wonder if anyone on here local to stoke and willing to bring their 103 A23 combo to try in my Garrard 301 - I sense there are quite a few users of this combo on here and I wondered if anyone would mind bringing theirs out for a trip?

Happy to feed and water if anyone is feeling generous - could squeeze in a couple of others to form a committee if others are interested

also wanting the A23 speaker cable - I have asked James at tom tom to loan me a set but there is a queue so it might take a while

can;t find a SUT second hand so they must be pretty good - I am a klutz with carts so can't consider dear ones hence thinking the 103/A23 combo would be ideal and reasonably priced option for me

happy to travel and hear someone elses if that might be an option although it would be lovely to try it in my own system

rgds
darren

scoobs
25-04-2009, 17:52
There have been murmurings of perhaps hosting a Japanese direct drive fest somewhere, and if it were to happen I would imagine you would have the opportunity to play with both items if either Marco or myself were to attend, I for one would be happy to bring my pairing at least, also be interesting to compare my re-tipped 103 to Marco's various versions. :smoking:

Thinking out loud here, but the wish list for such an event could be...

SP10's
1210's
Denon's
Pioneer

...all of which exist on this forum to my knowledge, and why not allow the Idler boys in for a party too. :cool:

Darrenw
25-04-2009, 20:20
Would be very keen to partake - if it wasnt too big I could even host it here as stoke is pretty central

I was chatting to a friend today who said the 103 might not be ideal for my alphason but worth a try nonetheless

I am a bit ignorant on this TT thing - my aim is to try a few and then whittle down to one - would be interesting to hear your 80 aginst my older 6000 as well

how are you doing on the slate plinth - has the change of arm plans delayed matters?

rgds
darren

scoobs
25-04-2009, 21:30
The plinth should hopefully be with me next week, yes I will have to do a little work to facilitate the new arm, I think I may cut a square out with a view to using interchangable wooden or slate arm mounting blocks.

Marco
04-05-2009, 08:56
Hi Darren,

Sorry, I've only just spotted this thread :)

Stoke is not a million miles away from Wrexham. I might struggle at the moment time-wise to come down to you, but you're more than welcome to bring your 301 up to my place and we can try various 103s (and some other options) on it, along with the A23 and also the Denon HA-500 head amp.

It would be good to meet up and of course you'll have the opportunity of hearing the mad Marco-boy's system :eyebrows:

Just let me know!

Scoobs,

I'm well up for one of the gatherings you mention - it's just a matter of taking it to the next level from talking about it to making it happen! A suitable venue would of course have to be agreed :smoking:

Marco.

P.S I'll move this thread to 'Analogue Art' later.

Darrenw
05-05-2009, 13:21
Hi Marco

Would be great to hear your system and see what the 103 A23 does - have you any views on the combo of 103 with alphason HR100?

PM me your phone number and I can perhaps give you a call re popping over with the Garrard.

re Jap DD gathering I can offer a garrard, sp10 or denon DP6000 and I would be very keen to hear other stuff jap or otherwise

rgds
darren

Marco
05-05-2009, 13:47
PM sent :)

Marco.

scoobs
06-05-2009, 12:19
Darren
As far as I know the Alphason is not a good match for a 103, as it's a lightweight (low mass) arm around 10g I think. Maybe Guy could be more precise.

Marco
06-05-2009, 12:41
Scoobs,

Darren's coming round to my place, so we'll have a play with adding mass to the headshell and see how it goes - should be interesting! :)

Marco.

scoobs
06-05-2009, 13:18
Cool, I'm sure he'll leave you having had a comprehensive 103/sut workout. :smoking:
I guess he should also prepare for having his fillings rattled by your SP100's :eyebrows:

Marco
06-05-2009, 14:31
I guess he should also prepare for having his fillings rattled by your SP100's

Moi? Would I do such a thing to the poor chap? :eyebrows: ;)

Marco.

Darrenw
06-05-2009, 16:57
you already have - lasted two minutes in the AOS room at scalford - Hecos technics deck and can;t recall the amps (not the nice looking copper one)

Loud as buggery - way too much for my tender ears but the room was full so probably just me ...

The 103 being too big was my concern nick - its just one option, I guess Guy will recommend the AN IO cart which I would love but wouldn;t trust my ham fists enough to buy one

Darren

Marco
06-05-2009, 17:18
LOL! So you were another one of the 'victims'? :eyebrows:

:gig:

Marco.

Darrenw
06-05-2009, 17:48
I was indeed - didnt put me off coming here though - assumed it was a bad hair day! perhaps you will prove me wrong (but I doubt it)

rgds
darren

Marco
06-05-2009, 22:18
Not sure how to take that, mate! :scratch: :)

Marco.

aquapiranha
06-05-2009, 22:27
i think he means he may be in for more of the same "organ repositioning therapy" when he comes over to yours for a visit...

:lolsign:

Marco
06-05-2009, 22:53
I'll leave the Kraftwerk albums on the rack then :eyebrows:

Marco.

Darrenw
07-05-2009, 22:55
ear buds in the back pocket so should be fine, if the volume gets up to scalford levels

I don't mind it a bit loud at home myself sometimes but those hecos were blastin it out when I was in there (around 11am)

well up for a bit of kraftwork at any time!
Darren

Marco
08-05-2009, 05:33
Hi Darren,

At home when on my own I rarely listen very loud, but when people come round for a sesh the temptation is often hard to resist... :eyebrows:

However, the acoustics in my room are rather different from that at Scalford Hall, and the Spendors have a very different balance to the Hecos you heard, so the effect when playing music loud in my room is visceral and very 'physical' (the SP100s kick out seriously tight, rhythmic, bass) but not 'ear bleeding'.

I liked the Hecos at Scalford, especially in the midrange which I thought was utterly sublime, but I prefer the overall balance of the Spendors, especially now that I have fitted a high quality stepped attenuator to the Croft - jeez, what a difference that has made!

Anyway, we'll have a fun sesh I'm sure and hopefully I should be able to introduce you to some new music, which is what it's all about :)

Marco.

Darrenw
08-05-2009, 12:14
Marco

package arrived this morning - waiting for thomman to send the nail to stick in it and then all set to try this new (1958) wonderboy of which you speak. did you say you had some bolts and nuts for me or should I get them from somewhere before we get together?

looking forward to it - ear defenders, it appears per above, not required, so will leave em at home

Darren

Marco
08-05-2009, 18:05
Hi Darren,

Sounds good! Why no come round next Friday and we can sort it all out? :cool:

Marco.

Darrenw
12-05-2009, 19:50
looking promising Marco - if the offer is still on I will try and get to you late friday pm to avoid the traffic - say 4pm?

stylus has landed now so all ready to try

will ring later in the week to check its ok

rgds
darren