PDA

View Full Version : Denon DL103/103R

Anti Meep
13-06-2013, 08:22
The past few months I've made some inroads I think into what Characteristics I seem to prefer from a cartridge.
It seems to be quite simple. musicality, rhythm, and enough detail to enable these two characteristics to shine.
Simple doesn't mean easy though, so I'd really like to hear from those who enjoy their Denon 103's. I've read and heard that this venerable little gem has a knack of making music.
Seems that it is one of those cartridges that isn't trying to battle it out head to head with digital sources.
So let me have it team!
Tell me what you like or love about this cartridge.
Thank in advance.
Craig.

Tarzan
13-06-2013, 09:00
The past few months I've made some inroads I think into what Characteristics I seem to prefer from a cartridge.
It seems to be quite simple. musicality, rhythm, and enough detail to enable these two characteristics to shine.
Simple doesn't mean easy though, so I'd really like to hear from those who enjoy their Denon 103's. I've read and heard that this venerable little gem has a knack of making music.
Seems that it is one of those cartridges that isn't trying to battle it out head to head with digital sources.
So let me have it team!
Tell me what you like or love about this cartridge.
Thank in advance.
Craig.

Used with a suitable SUT Craig- you have nailed it, musical, fun and full, for the Wonga a good 'un in my humble opinion.:eyebrows:

Marco
13-06-2013, 09:18
Hi Craig,

There's LOADS of stuff written in the archive about the 'ol nail, so use the search facilty, dude, and have a good read! ;)

Marco.

Jonneville
13-06-2013, 16:33
Craig,

I run a 103 in a Midas pot, on the end of a Schick in a TD124. It is married up with an Auditorium AU23 SUT matched specifically to the 103. This set up replaced an old Rega Planar 2 (bought new in '78) with a Dynavector 10X (replaced over the years as it evolved). Hardly a fair comparison but put it this way, the improvement was so staggering in every single regard that I just gave the Rega and 10X away, after 34 years' loyal service.

The 103 may have some detractors but all I would say is remember the Masters - highly regarded tonearm makers Frank Schroeder, Thomas Schick and Peter Riggle all run 103s in their demo rigs. Then again, what do they know...!

Regards

Jon'.

Andrew B
13-06-2013, 16:45
I have always loved the 103. They never cease to make music in a way I find slightly reminiscent of the supex sourced Linn cartridges, although tonally they are different. I've had a load of them over the years including the Nude, ZU(?) metal bodied, Gordon Welford nude with metal body and of course the standard cooking variety.

My very favourite of all is the DL 103R. It is miles ahead of the standard (which I've compared directly) and a far safer bet than the nude ones. I don't like the 103 when over tightened in a headshell. It kills the sound, even with the metal bodied ones.

I'm currently using mine on a Xerxes with an OL Silver mk2 arm. It's the most musical combo I've ever used in 30 years. I've had more "hifi" cartridges and more expensive arms but with this combo I've never even thought of changing. That's a first for me!

A new 103R has to be the biggest bargain of the MC world IMHO

Boukman
15-06-2013, 05:42
lovely cartridge, especially the 103R. I tried a metal body but didn't think the upgrade was worth it. Its mono brother, the dl102 is an even bigger bargain. I like the natural sound and punch it seems to have