PDA

View Full Version : Amp Trouble

RobbieGong
12-06-2013, 19:13
:steam: :steam: Sat here on the pc listening to some tunes, changed record over and suddenly no right channel :steam: Have tried the usual fiddling with connections at binding posts, speaker and amp end and the usual twisting of all amp knobs - nothing !!!!! Technics SU VX800 intergrated. I've had problems with these before and channel dropping out etc. Last one went into protection and now this one doing this. As lovely as they sound I'll probably look for a nice valve amp if this one has defo gone caput as the whole finding someone to sort and without big cost is a proper PITA in my experience :(
To say I'm fed up is putting it mildly !!!!

DSJR
13-06-2013, 06:52
Is there a generic fault with these amps? They are getting on a bit now, but may be worth fixing?

RobbieGong
13-06-2013, 11:55
Is there a generic fault with these amps? They are getting on a bit now, but may be worth fixing?

Hi Dave, There must be as I'm on my third and they have all started playing up with crackling out of a channel type symptom. Real shame to be honest as they are a cracking amp when all is well. They have an external adaptor for equalizer and i find the combination brill. Very detailed sound with good cabling and good cart onboard, but i've seriuosly had enough now, It's time to move on. Any reccomendations for a very good integrated amp will be well received. Looking for big power, very detailed and musical sound and I dont mind tone controls at all. Budget around £500, happy to go used as that's likely to get me more maybe. Again, looking for something renowned for sounding good.

DSJR
13-06-2013, 12:29
May be a silly idea, but Shane (2468)'a Alpha 10 power amp with say, a Croft Micro Basic should make a well performing and powerful combination and the eq could fit in the chain too... off the wall, but may be affordable possibly?

RobbieGong
13-06-2013, 16:25
Hi Dave, Very odd !! - Just in from work and fired system up... Guess What ? No issues at all, sound from both speakers from the off :scratch: This is gonna do my head in as I'll always be thinking it's gonna reoccure at some point as these things do. Flung on Gwen Guthrie and the damn thing sounding sweet from stone cold - I'm glad it's playing and loving the sound after a hard days graft but it's all a bit of a wind up to be honest !! Did read during my lunch break that some of the vintage Technics are prone to Phono stage output issues, is that the case here ? Are the symptoms channel drop out, crackle from left or right channel speaker etc ? I'm no expert :rolleyes:

DSJR
13-06-2013, 17:56
Are there any relays that could get stuck with age and corrosion?

RobbieGong
13-06-2013, 18:08
Are there any relays that could get stuck with age and corrosion?

No idea Dave, not technical to that extent to know to be honest....

istari_knight
13-06-2013, 19:32
As Dave says its most likely the relay/s especially as its working again now... If you wanted to test them you can "tap" their covers with the insulated end of a screwdriver whilst playing music, if they are degraded the signal will likely cut in/out [see attached picture for location.]

There are some components in these that are marginally rated & die after decade or two. They grossly overheat [sometimes desoldering themselves from the PCB!] ... A photo with the top cover & main PCB cover removed would be ideal ?

RobbieGong
13-06-2013, 21:12
As Dave says its most likely the relay/s especially as its working again now... If you wanted to test them you can "tap" their covers with the insulated end of a screwdriver whilst playing music, if they are degraded the signal will likely cut in/out [see attached picture for location.]

There are some components in these that are marginally rated & die after decade or two. They grossly overheat [sometimes desoldering themselves from the PCB!] ... A photo with the top cover & main PCB cover removed would be ideal ?

Hey James, Cheers man. You guys never fail to amaze me with your knowledge but more the way you all are so helpful, pictures, info shared towards helping a man solve his problem - Big Respect to you !!
I do have the amp on for many hours every day so it is always nicely warm. Is it easy to replace the relays you have highlighted ?

istari_knight
14-06-2013, 12:41
No worries :thumbsup:

If you are competent with a soldering iron its an easy job, if paying someone else to do it expect to pay £15 parts & 1 hours labour IMO. It really would help to see inside to remove the possibility other parts are failing [visual signs are fairly obvious.]

You saying "its nicely warm" does concern me as knowing the design it should run cool unless pushed very hard.

RobbieGong
14-06-2013, 20:25
No worries :thumbsup:

If you are competent with a soldering iron its an easy job, if paying someone else to do it expect to pay £15 parts & 1 hours labour IMO. It really would help to see inside to remove the possibility other parts are failing [visual signs are fairly obvious.]

You saying "its nicely warm" does concern me as knowing the design it should run cool unless pushed very hard.

Hi James, No dont get me wrong - When I say warm, I literally mean warm not hot. I've had a number of these and they all run at a normal warm temp, not hot. I do have my eq on top of the amp (see here: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?23278-RobbieGongs-Set-Up) but there is a small gap, maybe I could raise the eq and increase the gap to allow even more flow of ventilation, just mussing out loud ! :)