PDA

View Full Version : Technics u205 mk4 needed with a side order of wing of pork

Oldpinkman
11-06-2013, 06:57
A brief search on aos only pulled up an earlier post of my own (and revealed I owe dsjr a couple of replies - next job). A search on google only pulled up the same thread.
Does anyone have any cartridge suggestions for a u205 junkie, apart from "keep the babysitter away from your tt". Now, i'm fussy and a bit odd. Marco very kindly put esl63 fanboy under my username (well almost) but if I am a bit nerdy about quad electrostatic i am a religious fanatic regarding the u205. Its all very well building a shrine to the sl1210 but u boys should really be ganging up on technics to get the mills running and knock out a lifetimes supply of u205s.
Given they won't, and accepting the goldring is, as arthur put it, a ford focus -award winning, does nothing wrong, but nothing special, what do you suggest?
Ta muchly

Oldpinkman
11-06-2013, 11:12
OK
DSJR -David, I see in my excitement I missed a couple. So, I don't think our paths have crossed, unless "David" is a pseudonym, or you are a painter who illustrates trees, and does the most awesome Monet fakes.
And –“ no I’m not from the tarantella days”. So much so, I didn’t know what one was until I googled it. And if I am not about to be the Funk marketing department, I’m not about to start a kiss and tell on Arthur either. Suffice to say he is a lovely, caring, kind intelligent creative individual, but can be maddening to work with, and is a better designer than businessman. Looking at Tarantella it seems to be a bad case of “pink lid”. If you’ve worked in PT you’ll know what I’m talking about.
In fact, although I have known Arthur over 30 years, and I think we consider each other good mates, I have not seen that much of him for a while. Indeed, not seen him at all for at least 6 years, since it was not until March this year when I went down with Sue and the pair of them flirted with each other shamelessly. He’s phoned, emailed and we’ve said endless times “we must meet up”, but not until I recently picked up some clients in Sussex, and could make an excuse to route past Newhaven have we met this decade.

“I need to know more about the arm”. I get told off for talking about the arm on here. I’m not sure how much I know, that isn’t on Funk’s website, except that I’ve heard one, and I am a very lucky boy and have one on the old PT, and it is very good. So much so, I think it may be better than FXR, which I haven’t heard, but which Arthur has promised to lend me. There was something a bit shifty in his eyes when I asked “how can FXR be better than this????”. And I cannot see how, as a marketing department manqué, you have a “flagship” which is a pimped rega, and a “budget” with new bearings, better (fatter) arm tube, better anti-skate, and better tracking force arrangement, and the same dubious screwed on headshell.
What you notice, even on the mucky setup i first heard it on, from the other side of the car park, is the bass. What you notice when you get one home is the detail you had been missing. And finally, the quietness of records, and – this is important folks for this thread – the lack of tracking distortion. Now maybe the latter was due to AK setting it up “just so” instead of the mission 774 which immediately proceeded it being set up by one-eyed shaky-handed yours-truly. But I wonder also whether its to do with the “fishing rod” effect – and its got me thinking about an arm design we talked about 25 years ago. So, rather than say more and get put in the naughty corner, I would just say if you are that interested I’d pop along to your mate the other Dave and have a listen. Then you’ll know.

Oldpinkman
11-12-2013, 22:54
Just back with my as new u205c mk3 complete with graphs box instructions - the works. And astonishing as new tt and mission 774 with all the original accessories, packing materials etc all just like new. Pity I get back to see the locked thread and comments from the emperors tailor. I'll look for somewhere nicer to share my good fortune, and not worry about sharing the excitement of learning to draw from learning to understand and control the brain. Night night :cool:

Marco
11-12-2013, 23:24
Pity I get back to see the locked thread and comments from the emperors tailor.

Just so there's no doubt, whom exactly are you referring to?

In any case, you should be too excited about the purchase of your dream cartridge to be bothered by any of that pish! ;)

Marco.

Oldpinkman
14-12-2013, 17:27
Well. I resisted playing with it till the weekend. I have a friend (college mate of Sue's, pro violinist, my rc helicopter buddy) who is interested in the deck as they have loads of records and played them on a stack system - and then came round to dinner... but he has to count the shekles (amp and speakers needed - interested in the AR60's if they hang around until after Christmas - or he may wimp out and buy another helicopter instead)
So I decided to just try the whole outfit out of the box, before I nicked the cartridge. It needed a bit of levelling - maybe if I were keeping it I'd fuss a bit more, but not bad really. The bias was far too high - no idea what they'd been tracking at since I removed the counterweight for transit. I know from experience that cartridge doesn't need the additional mass ring on the counterweight - but again, hey! So power up and go...

http://i1315.photobucket.com/albums/t582/oldpinkman/DSC_00024_zpsd8965955.jpg (http://s1315.photobucket.com/user/oldpinkman/media/DSC_00024_zpsd8965955.jpg.html)

It's not as easy as a PT to set up, but not that hard either. Bloody sight easier than an LP12. Mrs S said "How pretty" so maybe the brown nextel's not so bad after all, although it has a some slight marks on, so maybe worth a respray. But played straight out of the box, and well, I was really stunned. Definitely a record player I could live with - especially since it is not that big a faff to change the belt position for 45's, and the only time I recall playing 45's recently was to take the piss out of Sue for having Little Jimmy Osmond Tweedledee dee returned to her by her mum, and listen to f****g nonsense warble on the SL1200. And, I suspect I was a bit fixated and distracted cos I recognised an old friend

http://i1315.photobucket.com/albums/t582/oldpinkman/DSC_00034_zpsb8bf7349.jpg (http://s1315.photobucket.com/user/oldpinkman/media/DSC_00034_zpsb8bf7349.jpg.html)

Anyway, I thought "this is seriously good - I might even keep this. I'll amaze Sue". Now, she is proving to be a bit of a strain, because she has a habit of instantly hearing something. So instead of "wow" there was a polite "It's nice - a bit flat". Both the U205 and the EPS310 are best described as faultless. They do nothing wrong. But by the same token, if there is a criticism, its maybe a tendency to be a bit soft. We discovered with the MC that easing off the tracking weight to what I thought was 1.1g but my digital scales tell me is 1.25g improved that area. So I tried the same again on the U205. We both thought it improved - we could hear the swirling of the brushes on the snare, not just a rubbing, and the cymbals had a bit more "ting". It was a mains cable moment. Listened again and decided it was a perception not real.

And anyway, that wasn't what she meant. Sue insists the sound, which is "lovely" and "all there" is lieing in a narrow band at about drive unit height. The PT set-up, she claims (and I think she may well be right) goes higher and lower than that (not in pitch - in perceived location of sound). So, having no patience at all, I thought I'd get brave (foolhardy) and post initial impressions and get the cartridge where it was always destined - on the PT and find out if "flat" is

- real
- the cartridge or the record player.

I have grounds for hope its the TT and arm - particularly the TT. I am using it stock, with the bonded felt mat, and in addition to the deep but slightly muddy bass, lack of "spatial cues" is another association (from 20 year old memory)

watch this space. But the cartridge retains its credentials - we are being picky - this is a great sounding record player that has been in a wardrobe since new for over 20 years. Quite extraordinary:mental:

Oldpinkman
14-12-2013, 18:59
Well, considering the scope for egg on face and things going tits up

Result. I think that is end of the road. Never is a very long word, but I don't see me looking for another cartridge. Bizarre, that now I have had the chance to try the "sister" MC cartridge from Technics, this U205 is still the daddy. And like the Pip is "valvey" this is "more moving coil". Absolutely gorgeous

http://i1315.photobucket.com/albums/t582/oldpinkman/DSC_00053_zps9c2625f0.jpg (http://s1315.photobucket.com/user/oldpinkman/media/DSC_00053_zps9c2625f0.jpg.html)

I asked, although felt a dick doing so, because it was so bloody obvious, but yes, Sue confirmed that huge soundstage was back. Also bits of detail we both swear we hadn't heard before. 2 more from Sue before I go, oh no - 3

"That snare drum is incredible"
"Someone has put an acoustic guitar in that speaker"
"you can really hear the cymbals again"

Did I say never? End of the road? I forgot these new Japanese stylus assemblies with boron cantilevers and a very special line contact stylus. Might just give that a go for $125.

But very very happy (and if we are honest, in spite of all I have said, slightly surprised) boy :D

:cool:

Macca
14-12-2013, 23:48
". It was a mains cable moment. Listened again and decided it was a perception not real.

-:

As the great Paul Calf once said: 'Inside every bag of shite, there's a spark of gold. It may just be the wrapper off a Caramac; but it's there nonetheless.

And this is it.

I'm sorry, I've been drinking.

Cool TT by the way, Very.....Seventies ;)

PaulStewart
15-12-2013, 11:35
It was a mains cable moment. Listened again and decided it was a perception not real.

Well there you go, a fairly interesting post, that you had to screw up with yet another snide dig. Your perception thread was lock, so either you want to carry it on here or you just like being provocative and offensive. Either way it's bang out of order to continually insult the observations of what appears to be the majority on this forum.

I'm not a moderator here so it may not be my place to say this, but this constant nay saying is a bore. I said to you some time ago "play nice or go away" and I reiterate that. However if I ever get round to writing a paper on revere placebo effect, a collection of your posts would make a great starting point.

Oldpinkman
15-12-2013, 13:14
Well there you go, a fairly interesting post, that you had to screw up with yet another snide dig. Your perception thread was lock, so either you want to carry it on here or you just like being provocative and offensive. Either way it's bang out of order to continually insult the observations of what appears to be the majority on this forum.

I'm not a moderator here so it may not be my place to say this, but this constant nay saying is a bore. I said to you some time ago "play nice or go away" and I reiterate that. However if I ever get round to writing a paper on revere placebo effect, a collection of your posts would make a great starting point.

Grow a sense of humour Paul. And a bit less of a sense of self importance. It's not the Freemasons - if Marco wants you as a mod he will invite you, there is no need to "express an interest" ;)

synsei
15-12-2013, 17:39
Pity I get back to see the locked thread and comments from the emperors tailor. I'll look for somewhere nicer to share my good fortune, and not worry about sharing the excitement of learning to draw from learning to understand and control the brain. Night night :cool:

Just so there's no doubt, whom exactly are you referring to?

In any case, you should be too excited about the purchase of your dream cartridge to be bothered by any of that pish! ;)

Marco.

You are a smart chap Richard and as such I have learnt that you are not prone to pointless meanderings, which is why provocative comments such as that at the top of this post attract the sort of responses they do. In fact this comment is rather offensive and you compounded that by failing to respond to Marco''s direct question. You set out your stall regarding cable burn in and mains cables almost from the moment you joined us here on AoS and you have left nobody in any doubt as to where you stand on these issues. Debate is one thing however deliberate provocation is a completely different kettle of fish and is frowned upon here on AoS. For example, if you invited me as a guest to your home, being your home I would be respectful of any rules or wishes you might apply to that environment. Perhaps it is time for you to reciprocate here.

Grow a sense of humour Paul. And a bit less of a sense of self importance. It's not the Freemasons - if Marco wants you as a mod he will invite you, there is no need to "express an interest" ;)

Finally I would respectively advise you both to play nice before things get out of hand...

Oldpinkman
15-12-2013, 18:02
Sorry dave. Missed that one. The emperor's tailor is dave at mcru who called me a troll for failing to believe in mains cables. But that's ok because he agrees with you. Kindly stop crapping on my thread with paul. I shall pm marco to complain as he has previuosly asked me to.

synsei
15-12-2013, 18:08
Sorry dave. Missed that one. The emperor's tailor is dave at mcru who called me a troll for failing to believe in mains cables. But that's ok because he agrees with you. Kindly stop crapping on my thread with paul. I shall pm marco to complain as he has previuosly asked me to.

You are entitled to complain to Marco if you wish Richard however my 'crapping' as you call it was a timely moderator intervention and nothing more...