PDA

View Full Version : EAR 509 Monoblock Valve Poweramps

potatoha
10-06-2013, 11:30
I know I will regret this, but my not-so-new-born son, who turned 2 last week, is very mobile on his feet and this hobby of mine, quad electrostatics and valve amplifiers, is nothing more than a disaster waiting to happen. Why are children so curious? :scratch:

A rare opportunity to acquire a pair of legendary Tim de Paravicini's original 509 monoblocks. Tim told me these are one of the first three pairs he'd made to start his business back in the late 70s. These belonged to my former landlord who was a record producer / engineer running a studio in London. He was using them for monitoring purposes in his studio and when he decided to go all solid state in the 90s :doh:, he sold them to me. I had them serviced for the first time in 2003 to replace the aging power capacitors (four each amp) and input level control. All the PL509 output valves are original and still going strong after thirty years. Only a couple of ECC83s replaced with Tim's own valves, all faulty internal electrolytics / parts replaced, input rca sockets replaced and had a thorough health check at the EAR factory. They've been given new serial numbers 012703AR / 012703BR. They sound sublime ever since.

The current model's (almost identical electronically) price is £10,496. I'm looking for £1500 including matched quad NOS Siemens PL519 output valves and 2X matched NOS Brimar ECC85s. A true high-end bargain.

Prefer collection from Hove, East Sussex. I have the MK2 boxes with packaging, so can be posted via nextday UPS for £20.

Click images for hi-res.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14291491/ebay/ArtOSound/S_EAR_1.JPG (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14291491/ebay/ArtOSound/_6099915.JPG)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14291491/ebay/ArtOSound/S_EAR_2.JPG (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14291491/ebay/ArtOSound/_6099914.JPG)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14291491/ebay/ArtOSound/S_Valves.JPG (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14291491/ebay/ArtOSound/_6099916.JPG)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14291491/ebay/ArtOSound/S_Receipt_1.jpg (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14291491/ebay/ArtOSound/receipt.jpg)

Marco
10-06-2013, 12:58
Hi John,

I know I will regret this, but my not-so-new-born son, who turned 2 last week, is very mobile on his feet and this hobby of mine, quad electrostatics and valve amplifiers, is nothing more than a disaster waiting to happen. Why are children so curious? :scratch:

I sympathise with your situation, but why not simply store them away somewhere until he is older? Otherwise, you are right - you *will* regret it! ;)

Marco.

P.S I've amended the title of your ad to show that there are actually two amplifier(s) for sale... I originally thought that you only had the one! :eyebrows:

julesd68
10-06-2013, 13:15
That is an absolute steal but I'm with Marco on this one - don't sell unless you really need the cash. Box 'em up and you might only need to keep them for a couple of years before your boy can start to respect some 'boundaries'.

I don't know quite how, but I managed to 'train' my little boy from a very early age not to touch daddy's hi-fi. All done in a very caring non-authoritarian way, just in case you were wondering. :lol:
I would let him take every single book out of the bookcase, but he never tried to play with the hi-fi. But, I never had valves back then, so he could never really hurt himself even if he did press a few buttons.

He's 8 now and has always respected how much the gear means to me, which is great and I really appreciate it.

montesquieu
10-06-2013, 13:28
Hi John,

I sympathise with your situation, but why not simply store them away somewhere until he is older? Otherwise, you are right - you *will* regret it! ;)
:

I would concur with this wholeheartedly, the danger time passes sooner than you think, I well remember the great day when I got my turntable and other gear out again after my lad turned 5 and I could trust him not to trash the cantilever. Prices of this sort of gear are only heading one way and it could really cost you to get back in the game.

struth
10-06-2013, 13:47
Yep, these are history mate...I would keep em for a few years myself....my 2 grandkids have been taught to keep away from pops stuff....old style of course...touch that and I'll kill you roared at them...lol

Fantastic stuff...thanks for the pics

Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

potatoha
10-06-2013, 13:58
Marco.
P.S I've amended the title of your ad to show that there are actually two amplifier(s) for sale... I originally thought that you only had the one! :eyebrows:
Thanks Marco as always! Yes, two amplifiers as a matter of fact. Just to add to my misery, my wife absolutely hates them. I think she's jealous for I spend more time with them than with her :lol: and we're planning another baby. :mental: It took me quite a while to make up my mind to part with them and it's about time they need a new place / owner to get the best out of them. :wah:

couple of years before your boy can start to respect some 'boundaries'.

I don't know quite how, but I managed to 'train' my little boy from a very early age not to touch daddy's hi-fi. All done in a very caring non-authoritarian way, just in case you were wondering. :lol:
I would let him take every single book out of the bookcase, but he never tried to play with the hi-fi. But, I never had valves back then, so he could never really hurt himself even if he did press a few buttons.

He's 8 now and has always respected how much the gear means to me, which is great and I really appreciate it.
Respect Julian, respect! My boy is claiming the whole house as his territory at the moment! I might need some parenting advice from you soon.

potatoha
10-06-2013, 14:09
I would concur with this wholeheartedly, the danger time passes sooner than you think, I well remember the great day when I got my turntable and other gear out again after my lad turned 5 and I could trust him not to trash the cantilever.
If we weren't planning another baby... god knows how long I'll have to wait for that day...

Yep, these are history mate...
Yes, they are history themselves. When I showed these to Tim for an initial checkup ten years ago, he had a moment of silence reminiscing the good old days. He and his company have come a long way indeed.

Oldpinkman
10-06-2013, 14:28
If you're worried about them getting cold while you wait, I could keep them warm for you.

Or you could get a cage. Children soon learn to live in them :)

realysm42
10-06-2013, 15:32
I don't know you, but I feel your pain.

HOLD ONTO THEM!

southall-1998
10-06-2013, 15:53
Your EAR amps look cool !!!

kenworthy100
10-06-2013, 16:14
They look absolutely superb, I have to say I think Marco is right, in the long term you would really regret parting with these, furthermore I can only see them increasing in value.

Audio Al
10-06-2013, 16:17
So many things on the WANT LIST :D

SO little money to pay for ALL of them :(

Hope you find a buyer soon ;)

Gordon Steadman
10-06-2013, 17:06
What's all this 'the wife hates them' bit???

Who do they belong to? Did you have them before you met?

I believe such questions are relevant. I am lucky I guess, that my wife is of the opinion that she took me on, including all my baggage, as I did hers.

I would have to sell my Quads over her dead body. I know how lucky I am. Interior decor comes a long way down her list, she knows what is actually important.

Anyway, don't do it unless you really have to. I met Tim a long time ago when he converted my Leak Troughline for me. He really knows what he is doing and those amps must be fantastic. They look great to me too.

If you really must then I'm sure someone will snap them up, I wish I could justify the expenditure.

Wakefield Turntables
10-06-2013, 17:20
PM Sent.

potatoha
10-06-2013, 18:58
Thanks for all your concerns but they're now sold to Jason(Figlet108), subject to payment. Thanks to all interested parties.
Should the prospective buyer drops out, Andrew(REXTON) and Alan(sondale) are next in line.

Marco
10-06-2013, 19:06
Oooh... The Figster's going over to the dark side - nice one! :eyebrows:

Marco.

Wakefield Turntables
10-06-2013, 19:41
HErrruummppphhh!!! Looks like it's back to looking for a KSA50 or 80, or mayeb some more monoblocks if they come up....:eyebrows:

Figlet108
10-06-2013, 20:13
...Should the prospective buyer drops out...
Like all my digital products, there will be no drop outs :D

Oooh... The Figster's going over to the dark side - nice one! :eyebrows:
Not so much going over, more like embracing both sides. This is for the Quads in the office.

And apologies to Andrew. It was a quiet work day so was online constantly...

potatoha
11-06-2013, 09:12
Like all my digital products, there will be no drop outs :D

Can't say much about your digital products, but I can vouch for your lightning-quick response and bit-perfect accurate payment! :lol:
The amps will be with you for Friday.

Figlet108
11-06-2013, 09:29
You see that's where paying by digital sounds so much sweeter than paying by analogue :)

Looking forward to it. It'll be interesting to compare them to my NVA amps in my Audiovector system downstairs before introducing them to the Quads in the attic...

hal55
11-06-2013, 09:38
I'M TOO LATE!!

Was going to offer to "house sit" them here in Australia, in a loving hifi oriented household and in their own dedicated music room till your kids were older.
It was 509s that got me hooked on hifi in the early 80s -always wanted a pair. Could never afford them.

Hal55

potatoha
12-06-2013, 09:44
I'M TOO LATE!!

Was going to offer to "house sit" them here in Australia, in a loving hifi oriented household and in their own dedicated music room till your kids were older.
It was 509s that got me hooked on hifi in the early 80s -always wanted a pair. Could never afford them.

Hal55
Could I offer my son to house sit at yours until he's 18 instead? :mad: What speakers have you got?

hal55
13-06-2013, 01:22
If he can do a lot of gardening in years to come I might just say yes!

Speakers were Heybrook 3s, ran them as stock for many years then had a Plessy leaf tweeter ( ie ribbon) fitted, biwired them and replaced the midranges with the modern equivalents from SEAS when my cat put his claws thru one of the originals. They are in storage now but I will never be able to sell them, too many happy memories with them.
Currently Peter Comeau designed WAD 25Ts, with the upgraded Excel tweeters, that I built myself. Really lovely speakers and again, I doubt I'll replace them for a long time. A good pair of Magneplanars would be about all that would tempt me.

Hope you can get the EARs back in years to come, they really lived up to the hype about them. I believe they became well known when a magazine was doing a comparison of "superamps" decades ago. Someone from a pro background included the 509s and it's legend that they slaughtered the competition.

Hal55

Figlet108
18-06-2013, 21:46
Well the 509s arrived safely today, well packaged and in perfect condition - thanks John, good communication and great service :thumbsup:

They are plugged in downstairs for now into the Audiovectors and sound wonderful. I don't have *any* experience with Valves - these are the first ones I'm hearing in a controlled environment. But I can tell you that they go LOUD and have BASS, in fact more so than the NVA Statement amp that is the only thing I have to compare to. Vocals are astonishing and there's a real presence in the room.

It would be unfair to make too many comparisons right now as I need to do a lot more listening, but for now I definitely prefer the 509s to the NVA (although I fully admit it might just be honeymoon-period-syndrome)

They are certainly not the rosy warm kind of valave amp that I've heard speak of. I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be my bag. These seem very honest and natural.

I'll introduce them to the Quads next week or so. First I want to try them downstairs with the Young Dac that should arrive in a couple of days :D

Marco
19-06-2013, 06:50
Excellent stuff, Jason, and glad you're enjoying them. When you've become more accustomed to the sound of the 509s, in comparison with the NVA, it would be good if you could write a little mini review in Strokes of Genius, as I'm sure that many would find that interesting to read :)

Marco.

Figlet108
19-06-2013, 07:50
Yep, certainly will.

Marco
19-06-2013, 07:56
Nice one. I look forward to that; particularly how you view the performance of the 509s, in areas where valve amplifiers are often criticised, especially very publically by the designer of your SS amp, and whether you can detect any significant signs of weakness in that area, such as is often stated by those who are 'anti-thermionic', due to either personal or commercial bias ;)

Marco.

Marco
19-06-2013, 08:06
Oh, one other thing, Jason... Would I be correct in assuming that the NVA 'Statement' is the best amp made by NVA, or that's it's pretty near the top of the pile?

Marco.

Reffc
19-06-2013, 08:41
Well the 509s arrived safely today, well packaged and in perfect condition - thanks John, good communication and great service :thumbsup:

They are plugged in downstairs for now into the Audiovectors and sound wonderful. I don't have *any* experience with Valves - these are the first ones I'm hearing in a controlled environment. But I can tell you that they go LOUD and have BASS, in fact more so than the NVA Statement amp that is the only thing I have to compare to. Vocals are astonishing and there's a real presence in the room.

It would be unfair to make too many comparisons right now as I need to do a lot more listening, but for now I definitely prefer the 509s to the NVA (although I fully admit it might just be honeymoon-period-syndrome)

They are certainly not the rosy warm kind of valave amp that I've heard speak of. I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be my bag. These seem very honest and natural.

I'll introduce them to the Quads next week or so. First I want to try them downstairs with the Young Dac that should arrive in a couple of days :D

The 509's sound similar in presentation to my 869, and I agree with you that Tims circuit designs using the 509 and 519 valves don't typify the stereotype for a cuddly valve amp. The 869 is characterised by superb detail, well controlled bass and a lean overall presentation which excels at the sound stage thing (stereo separation/depth of image). The power ratings also appear to be conservative. You got a steal there and those 509s are already getting sought after, so congrats on your new amps and commiserations to John for having to let them go (you'll regret it John!).

potatoha
19-06-2013, 08:43

I'm really glad you like them. I agree with you re LOUD & BASS. 509s had much more drive, gain, and bass compared to 200w so-called high-end solid state power amp I once had in the past. Now go on and unleash the true potential of the quads and treat yourself. :yay:

potatoha
19-06-2013, 08:45
... commiserations to John for having to let them go (you'll regret it John!).
I regret it already. They will be missed big time.

Figlet108
19-06-2013, 09:48
Oh, one other thing, Jason... Would I be correct in assuming that the NVA 'Statement' is the best amp made by NVA, or that's it's pretty near the top of the pile?

Marco.

Well it's a bit more complicated than that so bear with me.

All NVA amps use the very same amp boards, same components, same everything.
The only thing that changes as you go up the range is size of transformer and how many stages of amplification have their own dedicated power.
Below A80s you have 1 transformer for all stages, A80 + TSS (the first Statement Amp) have 2 transformers per channel and the TDS (top of range) has 3 transformers per channel.

The current production TSS (V.2) has bigger transformers than the TSS V.1 that I have. And in fact, now that I really think about it, the one I have actually has transformers a little bit smaller than the A80, so really it's almost the same as the A80 but in a fancier case. (hmm... hadn't twigged that before).
And nothing I say here is new. It has already been said by he-who-must-not-be-named on his blog.

My point is that all the amps sound similar and the ones from the A80 upwards much more so as the law of diminishing returns kicks in. (And I should add here that these comments are influenced by my subjective and flawed opinion with my speakers in my room and with my ears, YMMV, etc. etc.)

So in my opinion it will be a fairly representative comparison.

Having said all that I am a nobody without a musical ear let alone a golden ear. Nothing I say should carry any weight and I in no way want to be drawn into pointless and simplistic generalisations of Valve amps Vs. SS amps that you can sometimes read in people's blogs. No more than I would comment on Diesel cars being better or worse than petrol cars.

Taken as an individual, the 509 seems powerful, uncoloured and has deep tight bass, *as is the NVA*. The NVA is a very good amp and the difference between them are not night and day. The fact that one has valves and the other doesn't is of little interest to me.

I'll wait for many more listening hours before making any more comments.
It's all lots of fun and enjoying the excuse to spend time doing some 'serious' listening :D
("sorry darling I can't spend any time with you for the next few weeks - I HAVE to compare these amps")

Marco
19-06-2013, 10:23
Totally get all that, Jason - and your attitude is spot on. I look forward to reading your findings in due course, although the fact that there aren't any initial glaringly obvious sonic differences between the amps, says something rather significant about RD's slagging off of valves! ;)

Marco.