PDA

View Full Version : Help!! Theres buzzing

kalozois100
23-04-2009, 04:07
Hi all,
i now have a set up with pc streaming using asio4all.( laptop to usb adapter to dac to amp). however all is well when i listen to music from the laptop with battery but if i listen with the ac to dc power cord of the pc connected that charges the battery aswell there is quite a loud buzzing noise that is very annoying. unplugging the ac to dc power cord and the buzzing disappears. any ideas what is happening here??:scratch:

maxrob200
23-04-2009, 04:42
Yes it is the Switched mode power supply for your laptop that is causing the buzzing sound. I had the exact problem you described. I bought a linear laptop power supply and it is now as quiet as a church mouse. Perhaps a higher quality SMPS may also alleviate the problem.

kalozois100
23-04-2009, 15:33
hi there,
thanks i'll look into it.......... any suggestions for a linear power supply for the laptop??

Ali Tait
23-04-2009, 17:41
Maplins or somewhere similar perhaps? Or maybe have a look there for what you want and then look on fleabay.You may get it cheaper there.

kalozois100
23-04-2009, 19:26
Thanks will do........:)

daveyboy
24-04-2009, 13:32
The dac makes a slightly high pitched buzzing noise are you sure it's not that? not audible when using is being played but when there is no sound coming from the speakers it is audible.

kalozois100
24-04-2009, 13:47
The dac makes a slightly high pitched buzzing noise are you sure it's not that? not audible when using is being played but when there is no sound coming from the speakers it is audible.

Hi there.
The problem is not the dac, even with no volume the low pitch buzzing only occurs when the laptop power cable is connected. i tried a linear pc power cable and there was no buzzing so the problem is now solved. thanks to all above for advice. :)