PDA

View Full Version : Beresford 7520 First Impressions

maxrob200
23-04-2009, 04:00
I ordered my 7520 from Stan last week and within 5 days it arrived on my doorstep - Melbourne, Australia. Talk about super-fast delivery. The packaging was excellent and the DAC itself very nicely put together. A fine product given its very reasonable price. Logical layout, clearly marked connections, couldnt be easier to hook up!

Initially, I thought it sounded a bit bright, good separation but needing a fair bit of richness. Having read about a burn-in period, I proceeded to play music continuously for the next few days and sure enough, it is sounding more analogue like with each passing hour, vocals especially are fleshed out, with good harmonic richness. Separation between instruments and soundstaging is very good and I particularly like the inky blackness of space between instruments.
Plenty of PRAT, gets my toes tapping to music in a way that reminds me of my analog days of Linn LP12, Sota and Oracle ownership which have eluded me much with digital, with the exception of mega-thousand dollar high-end gear e.g Moon Audio, Primare, Cairn etc

So in summary, I am totally chuffed with Stan's 7520 and that is in stock standard form! I am waiting to pop in a couple of LM4562NA next week and see what sonic wonders they will coax out of the 0's and 1's

Gazjam
23-04-2009, 09:29
Yup its a good 'un!

Changing the OpAmps will really put a smile on your face, theres more potential in this Dac than what your hearing just now.

I found it took a week or so for the OpAmps to bed in and the sound stopped chaniging, but out of the box there is a dramatic difference.

Biggest compliment I can pay it is that I refer to my Hifi now as my "music centre" rather than my Hifi.

Not done that since before I got caught up in the intracacies of setting up my kit, worrying about whether it was "good enough" etc.

I'm just loving the music in a way I haven't in a long long time.
(the 7520 + squeezebox + Ipod controller is amazing)

Spod
23-04-2009, 21:20
You'll find the difference between the supplied opamps and the 4562's a huge leap. Everyone hears differently but for me they made vocals much more natural and the music more exciting - and it wasn't one of those upgrades where you have to listen carefully to notice the difference, it was immediate and obvious.
(And the first couple of hours run-in with the 4562 were an experience in themselves, the sound was all over the place!)
Enjoy!

ReachtheSky
23-04-2009, 22:41
I have also recently received a 7520 from Stan, which was delivered promptly to Brisbane, Australia. It’s early days yet, but I’m most impressed with the product as a DAC/Preamp.

Cold out of the box it not-surprisingly sounded awful. But after 24hrs it started to sing and has continued to improve ever since. I have a pair of THS4032’s on order from Tirna electronics. From fantastic AoS 7520 opamp rolling comments I’m looking forward to lots more from this great Stan Dac/Pre.

My compliments to Stan for a great product and for being a very helpful and accommodating person to deal with.

Granville

maxrob200
24-04-2009, 02:31
Gazjam

Yes I am using the 7520 with a Squeezebox SB3 and NAS server streaming FLAC files and the results are pretty stunning so far with most of the material.
I had a Berhringer SRC2496 and it was giving me popping sounds when playing back via the SB3, but strangely enough on co-ax via a CD player was fine.

Can't wait till I get the new op-amps

Stan, top killer product

Gazjam
29-04-2009, 15:48
Thought I had another post in this thread?
Wheres it gone?

maxrob200
03-05-2009, 05:04
The LM4562NA op-amps arrived today and it took all of 5 mins to pop the originals out and insert the new ones. I used a chip puller and chip plunger tool so there was no undue pressure on the chips or sockets.
From cold, the sound is already markedly better. Even blacker background, greater separation between instruments, very nice vocals and better balance overall in my opinion. The treble is detailed but not thin and I am sure given a bit of bedding in will flesh out and smooth out in both treble and mids. So far, it is a worthtwhile mod. Thanks Stan for a top product which is also easily upgradeable to the next level with a minimum of fuss and cost.

DaveK
03-05-2009, 08:55
Hi,
Originally you posted: -
I have a pair of THS4032’s on order from Tirna electronics......
and then you posted: -

The LM4562NA op-amps arrived today .........
What happened in between or did I miss something ?
Dave.

Marco
03-05-2009, 09:28
Thought I had another post in this thread?
Wheres it gone?

Nothing has been deleted as far as I can see, Gaz. What do you think is missing?

Marco.

maxrob200
03-05-2009, 12:56
It wasnt me who posted about the 4032's from Tirna. I have only tried the 4562 today

Gazjam
03-05-2009, 18:23
Nothing has been deleted as far as I can see, Gaz. What do you think is missing?

Marco.

Dunno MArco to be honest, just felt I had put another post here.
Knowing me, Its probably in another thread.

Its cool.

Gaz.

StanleyB
04-05-2009, 09:48
I had a Berhringer SRC2496 and it was giving me popping sounds when playing back via the SB3, but strangely enough on co-ax via a CD player was fine.

I have had a few people email me to say they get the same popping sound when they use the SB3 with the TC-7520. This is a SB3 fault, as can be noted that it also occurs with the SRC2496.

STan

maxrob200
05-05-2009, 06:13
Stan
I guess I am one of the lucky ones who has no problems using the SB3 with your 7520. That's the main reason why I was looking for another DAC. So now I have a brand new Behringer src2496 sitting at home. If anyone in Melbourne is interested in the Behringer please PM me.

Gazjam
05-05-2009, 10:15
Me neither.

My SB3 singing sweet with Stans 7520.

NRG
05-05-2009, 16:21
If you have a search on http://forums.slimdevices.com there's a number of threads related to the popping sound you describe

lupo_yellow
14-05-2009, 09:34
Hi,

I must be lucky also, no problems at all.

RoboCopper
25-03-2010, 21:24
Yup its a good 'un!

Changing the OpAmps will really put a smile on your face, theres more potential in this Dac than what your hearing just now.

I found it took a week or so for the OpAmps to bed in and the sound stopped chaniging, but out of the box there is a dramatic difference.

Biggest compliment I can pay it is that I refer to my Hifi now as my "music centre" rather than my Hifi.

Not done that since before I got caught up in the intracacies of setting up my kit, worrying about whether it was "good enough" etc.

I'm just loving the music in a way I haven't in a long long time.
(the 7520 + squeezebox + Ipod controller is amazing)

HI, I do not understand this 7520 dac?
At first before the purchase I thought that you can upgrade the opamps, but when I open it, I understand that you can only upgrade opamps for headphones?
But, I DO NOT listen headphones! :scratch:

Is there any way how to upgrade fixed or variable line outs for amplifier connection?

Any help is appreciated.......

ReachtheSky
25-03-2010, 22:38
Hi Robo,
Welcome to AoS. There is a lot of info on your 7520 here!
There are two opamps that you can change, both located quite close together behind the vol pot.
Looking from the front, the one on the left is for the fixed and variable line outs.
The one on the right is for the headamp.
If you look back in earlier posts there are 100's of pages regarding opamp rolling options and pictures also.
Good luck with the rolling. You are in for a great treat!
Granville

Gazjam
30-03-2010, 12:31
all this...and THEN you:

*Upgrade the Dac chip to the Caimen Spec Wolfsen...
*Upgrade Regulators and Output Capacitors...

and on...
and on..

Great stuff!