PDA

View Full Version : Removing Sticky Label Residue?

mjkelshaw
06-06-2013, 15:40
Hi,
I recently purchased an old Quad Brochure which has a large area of sticky residue on the back page, presumably from an old label.
Have any Art of Sound Forum members discovered a method of removing this type of deposit. I have had similar problems with other 'sticky labels' on CD cases where the only solution appeared to be to replace the misnamed 'Jewel Cases'. However in this case I think the chance of finding another 'pristine' copy of the same brochure would be fairly slim.

Mike Kelshaw

Andrew B
06-06-2013, 15:43
I just use silicone based furniture polish. It is cheap and does the job with a little effort

mjkelshaw
06-06-2013, 15:56
Andrew,
Thanks for your prompt reply and what sounds to be a simple solution.
I shall have to go out & buy some - I'm not known for my household cleaning skills.
Thanks once again

Mike Kelshaw

Andrew B
06-06-2013, 16:04
No worries. Get the cheapest one. They all seem to do the same job :)

chelsea
06-06-2013, 16:19
I use evo stick remover,maybe a bit harsh for paper though.

Haselsh1
06-06-2013, 16:21
The best thing for removing label residues and also labels is a chemical called d-Limonene which is present in all powerful degreasers. Check the label on the bottle. Second to Toluene it is the most powerful degreasing agent known and if you put it on a label and let it soak for a few minutes, it dissolves the gum and leaves everything sparkly. I would not use it on synthetic rubbers though.

WOStantonCS100
06-06-2013, 17:00
A hair dryer works a charm for me. On LP covers, I remove the record, of course, carefully heat the sticker. It (price stickerspromo sticker/etc.) peels right off. The same thing works well for CD cases after separating the front from the back. A tad more care is used for plastic CD cases, so as not to warp it. The hair dryer heats/re-melts the glue (in most cases) and removal of sticker and glue is usually very easy. I like this method because there aren't any harsh chemicals, it's quick and I'm using what I already have/don't have to buy anything.

walpurgis
06-06-2013, 17:39
Andrew is right. Spray furniture polish, on shiny surfaces anyway. I use the cheap Tesco value spray and give the label a soak with it for a while, then it just lifts off. Occasionally you'd want more than one application.

You wouldn't use it on a valued magazine or book, lighter fluid works on paper, but you still get a mark.

Barry
06-06-2013, 17:43
Spray furniture polish works for me, both on paperback books and LP sleeves as well as CD jewel cases.

The Grand Wazoo
06-06-2013, 17:46
A small amount of WD40 soaked into a tissue or cloth will do it for CD cases.
For brochures etc, have you tried dabbing it with another sticky label? If you work it around while you dab it, you'll find that you'll begin to pick up the stuff you don't want.

shane
06-06-2013, 18:01
OK, this sounds weird but it always works a treat. Peanut butter! Rub it into the glue deposit with your finger tip, then wash off. Job done.

No good for paper, but I'm not sure any of the above solutions would be either.

Barry
06-06-2013, 18:07
The OP refered to a Quad publicity brochure. These are printed on glazed paper and foam-spray furniture polish ought to be OK, provided it is not over used.

StanleyB
06-06-2013, 18:39
I use a postage stamp remover like THIS (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PRINZ-UHU-STAMP-LIFT-REMOVER-50ML-LIQUID-/350165618301?pt=UK_Stamps_Philatley&hash=item51877f4e7d). It is specially designed to work on paper. I use a cotton bud to swipe over the glue with a bit of that remover.. It does not damage paper

Audio Al
06-06-2013, 20:24
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/8976/Sticky-Stuff-Remover?src=gfeed&gclid=CMeD8a2h0LcCFdLItAodfFgASQ

:)

Barry
06-06-2013, 22:06
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/8976/Sticky-Stuff-Remover?src=gfeed&gclid=CMeD8a2h0LcCFdLItAodfFgASQ

:)

But no mention of paper (?)

Stubies
07-06-2013, 13:27
I have used this before, from Robert Dyas, works well for most things - but not sure its good for paper:
http://www.robertdyas.co.uk/P~121907~Tableau-Sticky-Label-Remover

mjkelshaw
08-06-2013, 07:26
I would to to say how grateful I am for the 'input' from the members who replied to my query about the removal of 'sticky residue'.
I just wish I had asked this question prior to removing two labels which had been attached to another amplifier handbook. The second label appeared to have only been 'slapped on' to cover the first one.
However, I went out in search of the 'uhu' product mentioned in my local W.H. Smiths, but unfortunately I couldn't find it, but I did find another product in an 'office supply' company labelled "Sticky Stuff Remover" which I applied sparingly with 'cotton buds' and then removed the resulting accretion with clean buds and tissues. I stopped once I had managed to remove the bulk of the deposit. I might try a second application to attempt to remove the slight 'film' which is present, but only noticeable if one holds the page at an angle to the light. On the other hand I might 'quit while still ahead' as there isn't any stickiness left.
As mentioned, the Quad brochure was printed on 'glossy' paper, and therefore I think that fact was the reason that I was successful.
I would just like to repeat my thanks to all the members for their replies, I shall certainly try all the other suggestions on my next batch of sticky CD cases.

Regards

Mike Kelshaw

The Grand Wazoo
08-06-2013, 09:58
Thanks for offering your thanks Mike!
That's one of the reasons we love AoS so much - people are so helpful in so many ways.