PDA

View Full Version : Wonder if this guy is not the only one.

SteveW
05-06-2013, 08:27
http://m.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jun/04/music-died-cds-listen-laptop

Marco
05-06-2013, 08:40
Brilliant link, Steve! I share his sentiments, although I've not experienced some of the things that he has. Loved this bit:

Or Bruno Mars, with the sort of music that would accompany a moment of transcendent emotional import such as putting a new toilet roll in the downstairs loo.

Priceless!! :lol:

Marco.

walpurgis
05-06-2013, 08:49
If you consider what passes as mainstream music these days, its not surprising that serious interest in music is frustrated.

The continuing dross of manufactured 'bands' and lightweight musical tinsel, performed (supposedly) by people who have no ability and are just chosen to look pretty on promotional media. There are many musicians of ability, but they get passed over in favour of 'marketable' rubbish. What a shame.

MikeMusic
05-06-2013, 08:49
http://m.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jun/04/music-died-cds-listen-laptop

Like so much it's circular

I never believed I we would still be able to get hold of *new* vinyl as we can today.

The majority (?) will swap over then a fair few of that majority will stumble over a real sound and come back.

There is way more interest in music now than there ever was. It's a huge industry many times bigger than it used to be.
A lot of people will be happy listening to rubbish on their iWhatever
Cue my stepdaughter and boyfriend in our kitchen a few weeks ago. Les Miserables and Michael Buble on her Ipad.
Utterly horrid sound. I had little idea what was playing it was so poor. I only know what it was as I asked
Couldn't even be arsed to plus it into the amp across the room. That is likely a good thing for me of course

Beobloke
05-06-2013, 09:10
Brilliant link, Steve! I share his sentiments, although I've not experienced some of the things that he has. Loved this bit:

Or Bruno Mars, with the sort of music that would accompany a moment of transcendent emotional import such as putting a new toilet roll in the downstairs loo.

Priceless!! :lol:

Marco.

I quite like Bruno Mars...:o

Marco
05-06-2013, 09:13
Yes, I believe that it's filed next to your Sarah Brightman collection, just to the left of the J-Lo.... ;)

Marco.

walpurgis
05-06-2013, 09:37
Yeah, on the shelf under the Daniel O'Donnell and The Best of The Wurzels.

Marco
05-06-2013, 09:44
Yup, I'm sure I spied that next to the Justin Timberlake and a box-set of The Smurfs...

Marco.

Werner Berghofer
05-06-2013, 10:26
Steve,

Wonder if this guy is not the only one

Marco,

I share his sentiments […]

English is not my native language, so I wonder if “this guy” and “his sentiments” properly also can be used for a female. The linked article from the “The Guardian” was written by a woman called Sophie Heawood.

Werner.

Marco
05-06-2013, 10:37
Ha - good point, Werner. I didn't even check who the author was... I just followed Steve's lead from "this guy" :eyebrows:

Marco.

Effem
05-06-2013, 10:45
I didn't even check who the author was... I just followed Steve's lead from "this guy" :eyebrows:

Marco.

Don't ever bump into ME if we are in a darkened room then Marco. Pervert :lol:

Marco
05-06-2013, 10:51
Yesh, but knowing you, dahling, you'd be up for it! :kiss:

:D

Marco.

julesd68
05-06-2013, 10:57
I quite like Bruno Mars...:o

er, for modern pop music I think he knocks out some good tunes.

My son likes him, but Iron Maiden is his favourite band, so I'm happy with that!

MikeMusic
05-06-2013, 10:58
Steve,

English is not my native language, so I wonder if “this guy” and “his sentiments” properly also can be used for a female. The linked article from the “The Guardian” was written by a woman called Sophie Heawood.

Werner.

Werner
We need someone like you to work it for us !
:)
I also assumed it was a bloke (man)

Effem
05-06-2013, 10:59
Yesh, but knowing you, dahling, you'd be up for it! :kiss:

:D

Marco.

Always been my motto Marco; "These wimmin is OK, but you cannot beat the REAL THING" :lol:

walpurgis
05-06-2013, 14:31
Bet you sit in a rowing boat the wrong way round too! :)

Marco
05-06-2013, 15:32
There be fruity ones down in Cornwall, oh arrrrrr.....

Marco.

Spectral Morn
05-06-2013, 15:49
Interesting article from a very perceptive writer.

She is writing about the way many listen or more importantly don't listen anymore. How music has become a ghost in most peoples rooms and lives, back ground music, a pale, mist like thing rather than the physical reality it once was in both format and sound presence within the room. Music was once visceral, physical now its a faint soulless, lifeless mist.

Regards Neil

MikeMusic
05-06-2013, 17:07
Interesting article from a very perceptive writer.

She is writing about the way many listen or more importantly don't listen anymore. How music has become a ghost in most peoples rooms and lives, back ground music, a pale, mist like thing rather than the physical reality it once was in both format and sound presence within the room. Music was once visceral, physical now its a faint soulless, lifeless mist.

Regards Neil

Wallpaper
:(

Joe
05-06-2013, 17:22
Wallpaper
:(

Scissors.

Seriously though, this is a journalist with column inches to fill, and her comments need to be taken with several pinches of salt. Why would switching from physical formats to computer-based audio cause someone's musical tastes to take a sudden nose-dive?

StanleyB
05-06-2013, 17:36
Scissors.

Seriously though, this is a journalist with column inches to fill, and her comments need to be taken with several pinches of salt. Why would switching from physical formats to computer-based audio cause someone's musical tastes to take a sudden nose-dive?
Would you enjoy watching adult movies as much as having a physical involvement?

Joe
05-06-2013, 17:40
Would you enjoy watching adult movies as much as having a physical involvement?

That would only be a valid analogy if we were comparing listening to live music versus listening to recorded music. A more valid question would be 'Would you enjoy watching adult movies on VHS tape as much as via an internet feed?'

MikeMusic
05-06-2013, 20:13
Scissors.

A lot of people seem to need this sound in the background. It can be horrid as long as not too loud.
Some of the stuff I hear on Radio 1 in the day as I'm passing is just awful - perhaps as it always was.
Point taken with Journos but this one sounded about right.
One of our customers got rid of all his vinyl and now regrets it terribly. I've heard of a few people getting rid of CDs and ripping - to MP3 in the main - regrets to come or not ?

Alex_UK
05-06-2013, 20:20
I'm not joining in with this thread - you lot have slagged off half my music collection! :(

;)

SteveW
05-06-2013, 20:25
Steve,

Marco,

Werner.

Blimey Werner
Says more about me really!!
Just an immediate presumption.