PDA

View Full Version : No pussies allowed . .

jimdgoulding
25-02-2008, 07:31
I know that Brits are down with R&B. At least, the more fortunate are. So, what are the best, baddest singles you can name? Can you top Tramp by Lowell Fulsom? Trouble Man by Marvin Gaye? I doubt it but you are invited to try . .

Yo, Filterlab. Who was that Italian male torch singer you recommended once upon a time?

Filterlab
25-02-2008, 13:45
Yo, Filterlab. Who was that Italian male torch singer you recommended once upon a time?

:confused:

Now you've got me mate, you sure he was Italian?

Chris Frost
25-02-2008, 13:58
"Italian torch singer"

Marco, you dark horse, you. ;)

Marco
25-02-2008, 14:44
Indeed. I serenade the monkeys at Chester Zoo :flasher:

Marco.

jimdgoulding
25-02-2008, 23:42
Filterlab- I think so. Maybe French or singing in French. My reply at the time was that this music was romantic beyond your tender years and was in response to a post I made about "All My Tomorrows" by Carol Kidd on Linn Records.

Filterlab
26-02-2008, 00:06
Filterlab- I think so. Maybe French or singing in French. My reply at the time was that this music was romantic beyond your tender years and was in response to a post I made about "All My Tomorrows" by Carol Kidd on Linn Records.

Can't think for the life of me mate, I'll review some posts and see if I can dig it up. :)

jimdgoulding
26-02-2008, 00:43
I will appreciate that. Back to topic. You guys don't know any serious R&B? :smoking:

Filterlab
26-02-2008, 10:18
...You guys don't know any serious R&B? :smoking:

Now do you mean smooth skinned black girls jiggling their lovely bottoms or do you mean proper rhythm and blues?

Prince of Darkness
26-02-2008, 11:35
Now do you mean smooth skinned black girls jiggling their lovely bottoms or do you mean proper rhythm and blues?

Bearing in mind the original post, it would be the latter. The other type is surely a form of musical identity theft.
Personally, I never know where to draw the line between Blues, RnB, Blues Rock and Soul, but as I love them all, I don't care:)
I have always liked this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/jones/index.sht

Filterlab
26-02-2008, 11:44
...The other type is surely a form of musical identity theft...

Yep, like those bottoms though. ;)

Pierre De Grenoble
26-02-2008, 19:40
I know that Brits are down with R&B. At least, the more fortunate are. So, what are the best, baddest singles you can name?

Not quite sure how you define R & B..but how about..

Betty Lavette: Let Me Down easy
Dells: Stay In My Corner
Radiants: Voice Your Choice
Barbara McNair: Your Gonna Love My Baby
and not forgetting..
Frank Wilson: Do I love You (Indeed I do):carrot::carrot:

jimdgoulding
26-02-2008, 22:48
You don't seem to me to have a problem, ol man. To me it's what I heard on Texas radio in the 50's. There wasn't any youth music then. There was popular culture or there was black music. Every working musician to come out of Texas has some of this in his bones. And judging from the earliest British rock recordings known to me, seems our cousins over there were listening to a little of this, too. That's some pretty good stuff there, Stevie. I think you can consider yourself down. I don't know about these other guys so far tho, think they might be pussies.

Pierre De Grenoble
27-02-2008, 21:14
And judging from the earliest British rock recordings known to me, seems our cousins over there were listening to a little of this, too. That's some pretty good stuff there, Stevie. I think you can consider yourself down. I don't know about these other guys so far tho, think they might be pussies.

Yeah the whole UK "Mod /R&B scene was kicked off with the white beat boys getting to grips with the USA originals.
Tis a known factoid that Mick & Keith used to buy their fix direct from Chess.. This sort of stuff mostly wasn't issued in the UK, and it shows what taste the boys had and the lengths they went to to get it..

jimdgoulding
28-02-2008, 05:05
Does Lowell Fulsom sound like girls jiggling their bottoms to you? I mean the nitty gritty. Down and dirty. The best, not the rest. Gimme some Little Walter, Johnny Otis, Junior Parker, James Brown, early Ray Charles, and you'd be gettin warm.

Blue Note records is having a renaissance of their 50's jazz artists on vinyl. A guy named Steve Hoffman is re-mixing the original tapes. He is wonderful!! As much as I hate to spend fifty bucks for a record I may already own, in a few cases I'll do it for prosperity and quality sound.

To get back on point . . gimme some real deal and be quick about it! Don't be a pussy!

Russell Dawkins
28-02-2008, 07:49
I have always liked this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/jones/index.sht

Prince, this link didn't work for me...

Prince of Darkness
28-02-2008, 08:16
Prince, this link didn't work for me...

Sorry, try this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/jones/

jimdgoulding
10-03-2008, 21:52