PDA

View Full Version : Building a New Music Room

MartinT
28-05-2013, 06:10
Paul McGowan takes us on a trip down memory lane while he plans a new music room for PS Audio, in preparation for the installation of the huge Infinity IRS four-tower speaker system. I've only ever heard them once, but my word they were impressive.

Anyway, this should make a good series for those contemplating building a music room.

LJDv3-5ArIs&feature=youtu.be

realysm42
28-05-2013, 07:01
I'll give this a spin tonight, cheers matey.

MikeMusic
28-05-2013, 07:02
and hopefully a few pointers for anyone wanting to tweak

Tim
28-05-2013, 08:35
Interesting stuff Martin and thanks for posting - are you thinking of a re-design at home?

When I finally get my own place I want everything hidden away, preferably in the next room as I anticipate having a couple of 12V sealed lead acid batteries and a charger on the rack, so together with all the other stuff, it won't be pretty :eek: Just a pair of interconnects will come through the wall to either an integrated or a pre and a pair of Harbeth speakers. Not much else in there, subdued lighting, soft warm neutral colours, a nice rug hung on the front wall I bought in Cuzco, which has so far never seen the light of day! A couple of listening chairs, some plants and I have been collecting A2 sized posters from gigs that are all signed by the artists, which I'll frame and hang around the walls . . . the only other thing in there will by my tablet PC for the remote control, sitting between the chairs on a mango wood side table.

I can picture it all now and I can't wait :D

Mr. C
28-05-2013, 08:45
My Brother has a pair of the Infinity towers,

Mightily impressive, though not big on the musical engagement front.
A US product par excellence'.

MartinT
28-05-2013, 08:51
I'm fairly happy with my room and won't be changing it now. I'll design a new music room when I move house in 2-3 years' time.

Marco
28-05-2013, 13:22
When I finally get my own place I want everything hidden away, preferably in the next room as I anticipate having a couple of 12V sealed lead acid batteries and a charger on the rack, so together with all the other stuff, it won't be pretty :eek: Just a pair of interconnects will come through the wall to either an integrated or a pre and a pair of Harbeth speakers. Not much else in there, subdued lighting, soft warm neutral colours, a nice rug hung on the front wall I bought in Cuzco, which has so far never seen the light of day! A couple of listening chairs, some plants and I have been collecting A2 sized posters from gigs that are all signed by the artists, which I'll frame and hang around the walls . . . the only other thing in there will by my tablet PC for the remote control, sitting between the chairs on a mango wood side table.

I can picture it all now and I can't wait :D

Sounds great, but how will you cue-up records on your turntable? ;)

Marco.

Marco
28-05-2013, 13:24
I'm fairly happy with my room and won't be changing it now. I'll design a new music room when I move house in 2-3 years' time.

Interesting... I thought you were pretty happy where you were. Where were you thinking of moving to? :)

Marco.

MikeMusic
28-05-2013, 13:30
Interesting... I thought you were pretty happy where you were. Where were you thinking of moving to? :)

Marco.

He's seen what Chobham is like
:)

Spectral Morn
28-05-2013, 14:00
Interesting - thanks Martin for posting the link :)

In one episode of Location Location Location there was a house Kirsty and Phil went to in Scotland (Inverness area) Drumnadrochit Loch Ness and there was a pair of Infinity IRS in a cottage :lol: I wonder what the system was that power these. They walked through a room and for only a few seconds the 4 monoliths were visible.

Regards Neil

MartinT
28-05-2013, 16:38
Where were you thinking of moving to? :)

I'm hoping for deepest Hampshire so that I can still get to work, but offering the kind of house we want and that our combined resources will afford.

MartinT
28-05-2013, 16:40
Drumnadrochit Loch Ness and there was a pair of Infinity IRS in a cottage

:stalks: most cottages don't have high enough ceilings! I love that area around Loch Ness, by the way.

Tim
28-05-2013, 17:56
Sounds great, but how will you cue-up records on your turntable? ;)
Hmmm, TBH Marco a TT is now looking less likely, my file based system has really come on and it was pretty good 2 years ago when I started with one. But if I do have a TT it will also be in the next room out of sight. Not really an issue as I won't be playing records that often, just needs to have long enough phono leads to reach through the wall ;)

but offering the kind of house we want and that our combined resources will afford.
Whoa, I'm not letting that one pass - something you haven't told us Martin?

Marco
28-05-2013, 18:15
I'm hoping for deepest Hampshire so that I can still get to work, but offering the kind of house we want and that our combined resources will afford.

Sounds great, mate! Just don't saddle yourselves with a huge mortgage that you'll both be repaying into your dotage.... Realistically, you'd want to be retiring within the next 10 years - or sooner (if you can afford it). Therefore, I'd hope that by "combined resources", you mean largely paying for the new property with your current combined assets, belonging to you, not the bank :)

Also, as Tim's hinted at, do I detect marriage in the air? ;)

Marco.

Marco
28-05-2013, 18:23
Hmmm, TBH Marco a TT is now looking less likely, my file based system has really come on and it was pretty good 2 years ago when I started with one. But if I do have a TT it will also be in the next room out of sight. Not really an issue as I won't be playing records that often, just needs to have long enough phono leads to reach through the wall...

Lol... I know - I was really just teasing!

However, what's all this with hiding stuff away - are you one of those 'minimalist'-type chaps, who doesn't like 'clutter'? I can see the point of not wanting to pap yer peepers on a load of fugly computer paraphernalia, but a lovely looking turntable? :eek: ;)

What gives, dude? :scratch:

Marco.

Rothchild
28-05-2013, 18:36
He's using science to make it sound better, that's not allowed! He should only use instinct and his ears!

;-)

Marco
28-05-2013, 18:41
Lol!

Marco.

Tim
28-05-2013, 18:53
are you one of those 'minimalist'-type chaps, who doesn't like 'clutter'?
I am Marco, I don't like bare sterile rooms that are just white walls and floorboards, which is a great look but not for me, I certainly don't like clutter though - tranquil and relaxing ;)

This is kinda what I mean;

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w63/greatgig/hero_room2_zps96da4b60.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w63/greatgig/Music-room-decor-ideas4_zpsbe6d5882.jpg (http://s173.photobucket.com/user/greatgig/media/Music-room-decor-ideas4_zpsbe6d5882.jpg.html)

Take a cross between the two, the layout of the top and colours of the second with tasteful artwork and album covers on the walls. Both are far too cluttered though :lol:

And this is post number 5,000!

Marco
28-05-2013, 19:11
Ya, I see where you're coming from... The top room is aesthetically more pleasing for me (don't like wooden floors, as they're too 'cold', especially with our horrid climate!) Carpets make a room much cosier, and they don't need to be thick. I also hate spotlights, out with of a kitchen or bathroom. Subtle 'mood' lighting, with table lamps, placed in corners, as in the first pic, is much nicer and more relaxing/intimate.

I really like the top room - ticks lots of boxes for me (as do the speakers ;)), so if you end up with something like that, you'll be sorted... However, it would still look cool with a nice wooden-plinthed T/T sat there!! :eyebrows:

Marco.

P.S Happy 5000th post. May the next 5000 be similarly as daft! :lol:

MartinT
28-05-2013, 19:32
Whoa, I'm not letting that one pass - something you haven't told us Martin?

Also, as Tim's hinted at, do I detect marriage in the air? ;)

LOL - just a tiny slip of the keyboard :)

It's no secret that Ruth and I plan on throwing our lot together when the time is right, which is largely dictated by the number of years of school her daughter has left (we have to keep her within school bus distance).

As for marriage, how very establishment! Having had one beautiful one and one absolute horror, I will only go through with it a third time if it feels absolutely right ;)

Marco
28-05-2013, 19:57
Lol.... Gotcha! Marriage? Well, hey, I'm an old-fashioned guy.... ;)

Anyway, whatever you guys decide, I hope it works out and makes you both very happy forever :cool:

Marco.

Tim
28-05-2013, 19:58
May the next 5000 be similarly as daft! :lol:
Oh, you can count on that ;)

Do you still have my address for the case of champagne?

Marco
28-05-2013, 20:19
Aye, it's that old folks sheltered housing complex, innit? :D

:lol:

;)

Marco.

Tim
28-05-2013, 22:01
That's the one . . . ask the driver not to make too much noise and watch out for all the motability scooters :wheniwasaboy:

MartinT
29-05-2013, 06:03
Anyway, whatever you guys decide, I hope it works out and makes you both very happy forever :cool:

Thanks, Marco :)

MartinT
29-05-2013, 06:05
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w63/greatgig/hero_room2_zps96da4b60.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w63/greatgig/Music-room-decor-ideas4_zpsbe6d5882.jpg (http://s173.photobucket.com/user/greatgig/media/Music-room-decor-ideas4_zpsbe6d5882.jpg.html)

I like the minimalism of the first room and the colour scheme of the second. However, the second room's layout for music is odd, to say the least.

What are the angular wooden pods in the second?

Rare Bird
29-05-2013, 12:27
The bottom one is a tad modern Recording studio suite-ish.. & that lamp i could not live with the glare 'Vee haves vays orft makin yew talk'

Tim
29-05-2013, 19:46
I like the minimalism of the first room and the colour scheme of the second. However, the second room's layout for music is odd, to say the least.

What are the angular wooden pods in the second?
Yeah, I don't actually like the second room, it was just to illustrate the tonal balance and what I would like in room one. I do like wood floors and intend to have them around the house, but not in the music room. That needs to be acoustically dead and very relaxing - a little sanctuary away from the world ;)

I think those wooden pods are just funky side tables.

:lol:, yeah that lamp would freak me out too André

MartinT
14-06-2013, 05:45
E33LzO5UknA

MartinT
14-06-2013, 05:46
Ck-fZJvf39M

MartinT
14-06-2013, 05:48
CMrXv3K9pr8

MartinT
14-06-2013, 05:49
rsroD57FZnA

MartinT
14-06-2013, 05:50
u-THnT8LGY8

MartinT
14-06-2013, 05:52
So, only three Power Plant P10s to power the whole system! Those speakers are seriously desirable, I'm just not quite sure where I'd put them. They make my speakers look like babies.

realysm42
14-06-2013, 07:15
Are those the old infinitys?

Can't view content on mobile devices...

The Grand Wazoo
14-06-2013, 07:24
Yes, Infinity IRS.....with their 70-odd tweeters and 12 x 12" woofers!

realysm42
14-06-2013, 07:31
They look incredible, they must take some driving?

The Grand Wazoo
14-06-2013, 07:36
Well........they did come with a 1,500 watt amp for the bass towers which must help a bit! The last version (Mk4 or 5, I can't remember which) had a 2,000 watt beastie up it's jacksie.

MikeMusic
14-06-2013, 07:50
u-THnT8LGY8

!

I thought I knew what big was until now

MartinT
16-08-2013, 11:00
In the first video showing PS Audio attempting to tune their music room, they come across some serious hitches involving the Helmholtz Resonators they had built in to the room. It's a refreshingly honest portrayal, explaining what happened, and shows that even the professionals can get it wrong.

H0zBAACSmI8

WOStantonCS100
16-08-2013, 19:10
In the first video showing PS Audio attempting to tune their music room, they come across some serious hitches involving the Helmholtz Resonators they had built in to the room. It's a refreshingly honest portrayal, explaining what happened, and shows that even the professionals can get it wrong.

H0zBAACSmI8

Ouch... that's gotta suck. I hope they're able to figure out what's going on without tearing into the walls! His honesty is much appreciated. Although, now I'm a bit nervous about transforming my garage into a listening room.

Rothchild
16-08-2013, 23:26

I have to say when he said, in the earlier edition, that they were building a trap that was going to work at 25Hz I was sceptical, that's damn low (I still love their idea of building it with plugable holes to tune it though, super tidy!).

A 25Hz wave is 13.7 meters long. I think for such a low frequency they may have been better off going with the idea of using the roof space as the trap rather than corner traps. Of course the other thing they could have done (seeing as the listening room is in a much bigger 'warehouse' space was make the listening room that much bigger so that the nodes were even further down and unlikely to be reproduced / get in the way).

MartinT
18-08-2013, 21:51
I think with such large bass towers just asking to excite a low frequency room node, they may have to use room correction (much as it would pain me to insert unnecessary digital filtering into the signal path). The only other possibility, but would require some serious design work, would be to compensate in their crossovers. Of course, if there is larger warehouse space around that room, they could open out the resonators into that air space.

MartinT
31-12-2013, 08:49
They seem to have finally cracked it. Last in the series...

NPazywXrqJo

MartinT
31-12-2013, 09:03
I so wanted my partner's son to select the University of Boulder for his placement year so that I could drop in and hear Paul's magnificent IRS system. Unfortunately, he chose the George Washington University in DC! Ah well, I shall plan and plot to somehow hear these speakers again before I die. Perhaps I should treat myself to going to the Rocky Mountain show one year?

MikeMusic
31-12-2013, 09:22
They seem to have finally cracked it. Last in the series...

This is real hifi

MikeMusic
31-12-2013, 09:23
I so wanted my partner's son to select the University of Boulder for his placement year so that I could drop in and hear Paul's magnificent IRS system. Unfortunately, he chose the George Washington University in DC! Ah well, I shall plan and plot to somehow hear these speakers again before I die. Perhaps I should treat myself to going to the Rocky Mountain show one year?
Mixed blessing to hear them and then want them so much ?

John
31-12-2013, 09:25
Would love to hear a system like this. Maybe one day I will visit