PDA

View Full Version : Departure

Rare Bird
28-05-2013, 00:08
My patience is running out very quickly of late regarding vinyl. I'm getting sick to the back teeth of poor quality vinyl re-issues, neither do i have the time or energy for these issues..

I refuse to buy 2nd hand vinyl for reasons such as crazy prices, knackered packets & underlying damaged/ware & tare, compressed dull SQ etc..

Re-issues are technially the answer regarding better sound & of course a fresh record. but o no that's too easy, very seldom do i get a totally flat record, packet construction in most cases seems to be a forgotten art, noisy vinyl, pathetic label designs etc..

It costs me more money & arguments exchanging new vinyl these days..

Ive decided to compile a very short list of records i truly truly think are worth wasting more money on & be done with it all. These days i find myself moving more & more away from playing music.

CD's are probably the worse ever thing that i been involved in hence they are totally, well & truly history in our house..

Someone talk some sence into me as i honestly seen no way out of this corner i got myself into..

A superb example this morning & one that tipped me over the edge.

I bought a 2LP Edition of VDGG 'Least We Can Do', it took me around a month to locate this version, i was naturally excited when it arrived, played record one, it was so noisy on quiet passages it sounded like it was Ploughing through splines, yet record two was a silent, fuming was an understatment & i really cannot be arsed to send it back to recieve the same problem back :steam:

i just cannot get my breath with the amount of issues i find with new vinyl i buy.

synsei
28-05-2013, 00:17
It is a problem for sure André. I have stopped buying new vinyl for that reason. A reissue of Belle & Sebastian's Tigermilk was the last straw for me. The first copy was a horrendously noisy pressing so I sent it back and the replacement has been pressed off centre on side one. It isn't a subtle pressing fault either, it will throw the needle out of the groove on the first track. I gave up after that. All my subsequent purchases have been used vinyl and much of it is in a decent condition. I don't get upset about it anymore. If bought from ebay the seller will normally refund you and tell you to keep the record if it has an issue.

Rare Bird
28-05-2013, 00:46
To be honest Dave the influx of new vinyl was the sole reason i got back into it, i cannot live with old vinyl..seems i made a big mistake.

synsei
28-05-2013, 01:10
Its easy for me to say I know but it might pay to be patient. Vinyl is really beginning to take off now, the kids are into it. As sales grow the pressings will get better (they will have to or the kids won't buy) and hopefully we will see an improvement in the consistency of pressings. I would imagine that many of todays pressing plants are using salvaged gear which is many years old and has seen better days. The quality of raw vinyl will need to improve too I'm guessing.

Please don't give up André, you have invested so much of you into this that it would be a real shame if you gave it all up now, especially as your home built TT is really coming along :)

Gordon Steadman
28-05-2013, 07:50
I find this a bit strange!!

Whilst I appreciate the fun in buying new stuff, the whole point of the hi-fi is to enjoy music. What about all your existing music? Surely there is a vast store of great music on vinyl to sit and enjoy. Maybe its an age thing (I have no idea how old you are) but I've reached the age where the familiar is a greater comfort than the new and I still get lost in the old potboilers. Valves and vinyl still transport me into the music in a way that CD and SS can't, or at least rarely, do.

There is a huge amount of old vinyl out there. Most of which, lets face it, have only been played once or twice. Records can be cleaned and flattened (between two bits of glass in the sun - should it ever decide to re-visit) Apart from big scratches, I find that most can be made playable. Ask Audio Al if old records are fun:lol:

Maybe you are just into collecting but I'm here for the music. I still wonder why it is that so many musicians can 'get' the music on systems that we wouldn't give house room. Maybe something to do with the way their brains are wired.

AlanS
28-05-2013, 08:22
Someone talk some sence into me as i honestly seen no way out of this corner i got myself into..

Just stop thinking about it. Do something else. Don't expect others to do for you what only you can do.

Think about sick animals perhaps, victims of poverty?

Reffc
28-05-2013, 08:37
Patience is the key. I mostly buy used and only if described as "Mint" or "Near Mint" these days, returning anything that doesn't match the description. I am occasionally let down but for the most part have found little to complain about. I still buy lesser quality used if it's a title that's hard to find and all LPs are thoroughly cleaned on my DIY RCM.
The odd crackle of static or the odd scratch doesn't bother me as the perfromance is what matters most.

I haven't written CD off either although they're just as hit or miss, but I have weeded out the poorer ones as they're for the charity shop. A good CD I find every bit as good (or better) than a good LP.

I'd rather put up with the foibles of both than spend large amounts of cash to reconfigure the system for streaming or digital audio servers with all the transcription that would require.

The answer I guess depends on what you want from a system and whether you've already transcribed a lot to digital audio (which will continue to evolve so you'll probably end up wanting to upgrading down the line anyway, so my view is long term its just as much of a hassle!).

Enjoy the music. If the music comes first, minor issues disappear. Perfection comes at a price with hifi.

DSJR
28-05-2013, 09:19
Oh Andr'e, what are we going to do with you?

I play whatever medium I have to hand to listen to the MUSIC and in all honesty, I'm getting to the point that I have to accept that these recordings were made by PEOPLE with all the baggage that comes with it. Many UK vinyl records are still made on machinery that is very old, but it may come to pass that it'll become economic once again to rebuild this stuff, although new vinyl is still a tiny fraction of the amount of software sold, despite CD sales plummeting..

walpurgis
28-05-2013, 09:27
Andr'e, your annoyance at the quality of records may have something to do with your choice of cartridges.

MM types seem to be more prone to showing up surface noise than some MCs. I have found the Denon DL-160 and the ZYX R50 Bloom MCs reduce the amount of peceived surface noise considerably, almost to the point where it ceases to be noticeable.

seoirse2002
28-05-2013, 10:14
Andr'e, your annoyance at the quality of records may have something to do with your choice of cartridges.

MM types seem to be more prone to showing up surface noise than some MCs. I have found the Denon DL-160 and the ZYX R50 Bloom MCs reduce the amount of peceived surface noise considerably, almost to the point where it ceases to be noticeable.

I found something similar...when playing old vinyl,I find that my Saturn with the glanz L cartridge shows up everything,and the surface noise can be quite annoying,but lately I was trying out an old technics with original cart that I had in the garage,and it sounded far better and keeps me listening to the music instead of the system

NRG
28-05-2013, 10:53
....could be the capacitance loading of the cartridge is too high. Depending on the cart too high a loading will put a very large peak in the upper midrange or so of the response...

Rare Bird
28-05-2013, 10:57
I find this a bit strange!!

Whilst I appreciate the fun in buying new stuff, the whole point of the hi-fi is to enjoy music. What about all your existing music? Surely there is a vast store of great music on vinyl to sit and enjoy. Maybe its an age thing (I have no idea how old you are) but I've reached the age where the familiar is a greater comfort than the new and I still get lost in the old potboilers. Valves and vinyl still transport me into the music in a way that CD and SS can't, or at least rarely, do.

There is a huge amount of old vinyl out there. Most of which, lets face it, have only been played once or twice. Records can be cleaned and flattened (between two bits of glass in the sun - should it ever decide to re-visit) Apart from big scratches, I find that most can be made playable. Ask Audio Al if old records are fun:lol:

Maybe you are just into collecting but I'm here for the music. I still wonder why it is that so many musicians can 'get' the music on systems that we wouldn't give house room. Maybe something to do with the way their brains are wired.

Nothing strange about it. As you obviously don't know me or read any of my old posts i buy one type of music 'Prog/Psych', that music cost a fortune to source on old vinyl, i have to rely on Re-issues to get what i want at realistic prices. *I DO NOT BUY SECOND HAND RECORDS* I also find these original albums in most cases sound compressed & Dull, it's nothing to do with recordings of the day because that has been proven that the master tapes used for the likes of the present King Crimson, Genesis etc are superb.

Hi Geoff
That's nothing to do with it because as explained the latest double album fiasco: 'Record one was noisy', 'Record two was silent'.

Just stop thinking about it. Do something else. Don't expect others to do for you what only you can do.

Think about sick animals perhaps, victims of poverty?

Yeh very helpfull Alan :rolleyes:

I aint asked for being judged it would be intresting however if anyone else is in the same boat but maybe im not wired up properly! :rolleyes: However whats so hard about paying Ł25.00 & expecting a noise free record that plays the music i pay for without having to go thru the rigmarole of sending it back, im busy i don't have time for this crap nor do i intend escalating the cost of the item buy paying more to send said items back.

If no one's got anything constructive to say don't bother. :steam:

....could be the capacitance loading of the cartridge is too high. Depending on the cart too high a loading will put a very large peak in the upper midrange or so of the response...

No no no forget about the system they are being played..There's no problem with it.

Marco
28-05-2013, 11:08
I totally agree with Andre. Noisy new vinyl rips my knitting - and it's totally inexcusable, especially with the prices they're charging! :rolleyes:

Marco.

NRG
28-05-2013, 11:23
No no no forget about the system they are being played..There's no problem with it.

My response was to posts 9&10...

AlanS
28-05-2013, 12:11
Yeh very helpfull Alan :rolleyes:

I aint asked for being judged it would be intresting however if anyone else is in the same boat but maybe im not wired up properly! :rolleyes: However whats so hard about paying Ł25.00 & expecting a noise free record that plays the music i pay for without having to go thru the rigmarole of sending it back, im busy i don't have time for this crap nor do i intend escalating the cost of the item buy paying more to send said items back.

I wasn't judging you, though the statement that you feel judged is interesting in itself. Your wiring does seem a little different to some - the frantic unhappyness.

I leave you in the company of those who say thinks you want to hear. One last thought if you cannot do anything about what you don't like then learn to live with or move on. Simple

Rare Bird
28-05-2013, 12:17
Alan:

frantic unhappyness! so you would be over the moon buying expensive records to be faced with issues that should never be happening in the first place?

It's seem that the I could'nt care less about quality quality rears it's ugly head once again. I'm just waiting for input from some really fussy members on AOS that would loose sleep over the type of solder they use on joints, im sure they would buy a record with uncalled for surface noise & not moan about it..

AlanS
28-05-2013, 12:26
Alan:

frantic unhappyness! so you would be over the moon buying expensive records to be faced with issues that should never be happening in the first place?

It is how it is. You can do nothing about it - live with it or moan its your choice. You will not make a jot of different to the vinyl available. Should is a naive concept except in law and parenthood.

I do have vinyl of varying qualities. I buy it for the music, some new, some SH from a trusted shop (trusted to be OK not perfect).

Rare Bird
28-05-2013, 12:29
:lol:

I can see im clearly wasting my time with you Al.

Next please

AlanS
28-05-2013, 12:33
:lol:

I can see im clearly wasting my time with you Al.

Next please

You are indeed wasting your time (and with me as well). As I said a post or two ago I leave you with those who say what you want to hear.

Continue moaning - don't get real. Sorry no smilie

synsei
28-05-2013, 12:36
As both Dave (DSJR) and myself have mentioned André, you will need to be patient. As vinyl sales continue to grow it will become commercially viable for the owners of certain pressing plants to spend a bit of money on their machinery. Who knows, perhaps in the not too distant future some enterprising outfit will begin selling new record presses again? Until then my friend you have no choice but to work with what is available ;)

P.S. Take a look at my two most recent posts on What Are You Listening To Right Now Andre, they will put a smile on your face (I hope) :D

Rare Bird
28-05-2013, 12:43
Dave
Whats the explination for many unofficial (Bootlegs as some may call them) are better made & sound better than the commercial official releases?

I can't buy it Dave because i have some superb pressings, it's all down to quality control imho, if they got the 'can't careless', 'o it'll do' attitude off, pressings might be more acceptable.

Al seems to want me to stop moaning & just put up with it i'm afraid that's a big nein, it is possible to offer superb products with vintage production process.

At the end of the day i refuse to have brush marks in my Gloss paint, other are happy with them..

NRG
28-05-2013, 12:52
BTW, I sympathize with you Andre. I too find new pressings to be very mixed some with no or very little surface noise, others that are just not acceptable.

There may be a number of reasons for this as detailed in this Gear Slutz thread:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/mastering-forum/381089-colored-clear-vinyl-vs-standard-black.html

Post 10&12.

One point that stood out was this one; Many pressings are from small labels, they can't afford the cost of 'warming' the stampers during production so the first run of pressings are generally the worst but because of the cost they are sold anyhow...which makes it a lottery as to what you get...

synsei
28-05-2013, 12:54
Dave
Whats the explination for many unofficial (Bootlegs as some may call them) are better made & sound better than the commercial official releases?

My take would be that most bootleg issues are made by enthusiasts who care, and then there are those who are jumping on the bandwagon.

I can't buy it Dave because i have some superb pressings, it's all down to quality control imho, if they got the 'can't careless', 'o it'll do' attitude off, pressings might be more acceptable.

Al seems to want me to stop moaning & just put up with it i'm afraid that's a big nein, it is possible to offer superb products with vintage production process.

At the end of the day i refuse to have brush marks in my Gloss paint, other are happy with them..

Beautifully put and very concise ;)

Gordon Steadman
28-05-2013, 13:23
I didn't say I didn't approve, I said I didn't understand. Rather terse reply in the circumstances.

Anyway, not much chance I will understand considering I have never even heard of the music you are listening to:lol::lol:

Spectral Morn
28-05-2013, 13:35
My patience is running out very quickly of late regarding vinyl. I'm getting sick to the back teeth of poor quality vinyl re-issues, neither do i have the time or energy for these issues..

I refuse to buy 2nd hand vinyl for reasons such as crazy prices, knackered packets & underlying damaged/ware & tare, compressed dull SQ etc..

Re-issues are technially the answer regarding better sound & of course a fresh record. but o no that's too easy, very seldom do i get a totally flat record, packet construction in most cases seems to be a forgotten art, noisy vinyl, pathetic label designs etc..

It costs me more money & arguments exchanging new vinyl these days..

Ive decided to compile a very short list of records i truly truly think are worth wasting more money on & be done with it all. These days i find myself moving more & more away from playing music.

CD's are probably the worse ever thing that i been involved in hence they are totally, well & truly history in our house..

A superb example this morning & one that tipped me over the edge.

I bought a 2LP Edition of VDGG 'Least We Can Do', it took me around a month to locate this version, i was naturally excited when it arrived, played record one, it was so noisy on quiet passages it sounded like it was Ploughing through splines, yet record two was a silent, fuming was an understatment & i really cannot be arsed to send it back to recieve the same problem back :steam:

i just cannot get my breath with the amount of issues i find with new vinyl i buy.

Hi Andre

I understand where you are coming from exactly as once upon a time I actually had to steal myself (put of listening) to listen to a vinyl purchase be it new or S/H - each pop and click or crackle was a torture that ruined the music and like you I listen to lots of music with low level parts that any surface noise would ruin.

CD was great for that (mostly) but it lacked soul the flavour was missing.

However with better vinyl play back gear the issue while still a reality is now not a big issue for me but it does still annoy a bit (nowhere near how it once did though) because there is more life, depth, dimensionality in vinyl than most CD, though SACD and DVD A come munch closer.

I think though that at the heart of this issue is our individual outlook and how we want to interact with the world around us and it is that which generates the varying levels of frustration, dissatisfaction, annoyance etc. Yes it would be nice to have perfection with vinyl playback but even the best made, most expensive, pristine records will deteriorate (doesn't matter how expensive the playback gear is as this will occur eventually though better gear preserves the vinyl for longer) and start being noisy eventually, and I think we just have to accept that or move away to something that offers less noise or none at all.

I understand how any deviation from ideal can upset and ruin the listening experience but we must try to rise above that and to do so one has to accept that there will always be things that can get in the way. Its as simple as that but that can be easier said than done.

I missed out yesterday on something I would have loved to have, but wrong timing, wrong everything I didn't see it and thus missed out. I had a shit day yesterday and that made things worse - hence I commented on it, probably shouldn't have but I did - but you know what I wasn't mean't to have it simple as that and I have to accept that and shrug my shoulders and get on with it. Its the same with vinyl it is a fantastic medium in that it captures the essence/soul of music better than many other formats but its not perfect and like me shrugging my shoulders and moving on we all have to focus on the pluses and not let the minuses ruin the music and the pluses outweigh the negatives in my view.

And I am aware that is easier said than done and much harder for some than others.

I just wanted to say that I understand.

Regards Neil

Rare Bird
28-05-2013, 14:10
:thumbsup: Thanks very much Neil

Spectral Morn
28-05-2013, 14:30
:thumbsup: Thanks very much Neil

No worries :cool:

regards Neil

RobHolt
28-05-2013, 16:38
On what is this unsatisfactory vinyl being played?

Rob

Thing Fish
28-05-2013, 18:02
My expectations are pretty realistic when it comes to vinyl. I don't even mind the odd snap crackle and pop.

That said they have have been raised somewhat recently with the introduction of a vacuum RMC into Chez Fish.

I do however agree with you Andre that there really is no excuse for badly pressed vinyl...:steam:

I haven't had any yet which makes me believe either i'm very lucky or my ears are filled with cheese...:confused:

Haselsh1
28-05-2013, 18:26
If the market for vinyl is truly on the up then we all have a part to play in this rip off. It is our money and we ultimately decide what we bloody well do with it and who we trade it with. I buy secondhand vinyl but I accept that it is going to take me months of tracking down to get what I want. It is MY money and I shall only part with it when I am good and ready. I firmly believe that actions speak louder than words.

Haselsh1
28-05-2013, 18:28
My expectations are pretty realistic when it comes to vinyl. I don't even mind the odd snap crackle and pop.

That said they have have been raised somewhat recently with the introduction of a vacuum RMC into Che Fish.

I do however agree with you Andre that there really is no excuse for badly pressed vinyl...:steam:

I haven't had any yet which makes me believe either i'm very lucky or my ears are filled with cheese...:confused:

Oats cakes and Philadelphia with a good glass of Gewurtztraminer

;)

The Grand Wazoo
28-05-2013, 20:11
Personally, I think the theory that quality will get better is a load of old tosh. If you continue to buy it they will continue to churn out crap. If you stop buying it in protest, they'll stop making it. The market is too shaky for any real investment in quality - they're cashing in while they can on a little bubble before it goes pop.

I sympathise with you Andre but I don't know the answer to your dilemma because I'm happy to live with the odd imperfection. That means that my expectation of what is a reasonable price to pay is way lower than most people hear - used LPs and an RCM have always done me well. fifty quid for an LP? Not a chance! There are maybe ten titles on the planet that I'd consider shelling that out for. Ł25? Nope!

steveledzep
28-05-2013, 21:18
used LPs and an RCM have always done me well

Me too. I must have bought 100+ albums from eBay over the last 3 years or so. All used and selected carefully from ebayers with a good reputation selling used vinyl. I have had very few disappointments.

Andre, the records I have bought include Caravan, Family, Wishbone Ash etc.....mostly seventies stuff. Choose the seller carefully, be tolerant of the odd pop and click and enjoy the music. I certainly do !

Rare Bird
28-05-2013, 21:21
Thanks Chaps but absolutly no 2nd hand records.

The Grand Wazoo
28-05-2013, 21:23
Yeah I know that's what I meant by this bit......I sympathise with you Andre but I don't know the answer to your dilemma because I'm happy to live with the odd imperfection.

steveledzep
28-05-2013, 21:37
Thanks Chaps but absolutly no 2nd hand records.

You'll have to live with the imperfections of the new ones then.

I bought a copy of Crime of the Century, 180g super dooper re-issue (allegedly !), cost me Ł25 and not a patch on my original copy.

Can't help you !

Marco
28-05-2013, 22:21
Personally, I think the theory that quality will get better is a load of old tosh. If you continue to buy it they will continue to churn out crap. If you stop buying it in protest, they'll stop making it. The market is too shaky for any real investment in quality - they're cashing in while they can on a little bubble before it goes pop.

I would agree with that, especially the first bit! As Andre says, the crap quality of some of today's vinyl pressings is more about quality control and pride of workmanship (or rather a distinct lack of it), than anything to do with the use of inferior equipment.

However, in terms of the audiophile market/music connoisseurs (i.e. folks like us), I think that the resurgence in the popularity of vinyl is rather more than a "little bubble". It will never impact significantly on mainstream music buyers, but in 'our world', I could quite easily see vinyl eventually replacing CD in popularity, after music streaming - all the right signs are there! :)

I sympathise with you Andre but I don't know the answer to your dilemma because I'm happy to live with the odd imperfection. That means that my expectation of what is a reasonable price to pay is way lower than most people hear - used LPs and an RCM have always done me well. fifty quid for an LP? Not a chance! There are maybe ten titles on the planet that I'd consider shelling that out for. Ł25? Nope!

I totally getcha. However, with me, aside from the music aspect, I just ADORE items of quality and beauty, therefore, as well as enjoying listening to the music, I'd get just as much pleasure from admiring the whole package, of the likes of Pete Hutchison's Ł2.5k vinyl creations, as an art form in its own right, as I would an original painting or the timeless style of a fine wrist watch. I just love owning things that ooze class! :exactly:

Marco.

Rare Bird
28-05-2013, 22:23
Ok
A tad irrational maybe but i made a list of 12 Bands i feel are crucial to my listerning pleasure (within a certain time frame that is :eyebrows: ) & pretty much all i want to listern to these days. I will finish purchasing new vinyl for their studio output to complete, then that will be it buying vinyl. No more, ive had enough of it.. all my other stuff will be onto Reel To Reel.

Ive probably got around 80 LP's i'll be flogging at some point to make space..

The Grand Wazoo
28-05-2013, 22:28
I agree that a high quality item is nice to own, but the 1st pressing is the original painting, while the modern reissue all too commonly mastered from a digital copy is often a tacky facsimile being passed off as better than the real thing.

chelsea
28-05-2013, 22:30
yes would rather the first pressing over a reissue any day.

steveledzep
28-05-2013, 22:36
i made a list of 12 Bands i feel are crucial to my listerning pleasure

Who are they please ?

Marco
28-05-2013, 22:40
I agree that a high quality item is nice to own, but the 1st pressing is the original painting, while the modern reissue all too commonly mastered from a digital copy is often a tacky facsimile being passed off as better than the real thing.

Sure, but I don't think that Pete Hutchison's creations come into that category. His are all about striving for perfection and originality. For me, quality is worth paying for, as I love owning nice things, although I'm not saying I'd consider paying that much for a few records, no matter how nicely produced they were.

However, if it came down to it, I'd rather spend Ł2.5k on a gorgeous vinyl box set of superb music, than spending the same amount on some tacky holiday on a foreign beach somewhere, or on fags/boozing in a pub for a year, as some people do! ;)

Marco.

The Grand Wazoo
28-05-2013, 22:44
....spend Ł2.5k on a gorgeous vinyl box set of superb music, than spending the same amount on some tacky holiday on a foreign beach somewhere, or on fags/boozing in a pub for a year, as some people do!

I'd hang onto the cash in preference to any of those things!
(Actually rather than a couple of those things, I'd prefer to give the cash to a tramp!)

Rare Bird
28-05-2013, 22:45
Who are they please ?

Emerson, Lake & Palmer:
Emerson, Lake & Palmer*
Tarkus*
Pictures At An Exhibition*
Trilogy*
Brain Salad Surgery*

Focus:
In & Out Of*
Moving Waves*
3*
Hamburger Concherto*

Hawkwind:
Hawkwind*
In Search Of Space*
Doremi Fasol Latido*
Hall Of The Mountain Grill*
Warrior On The Edge Of Time*

King Crimson:
In The Court Of The Crimson King*
In The Wake Of Poseidon*
Lizard*
Islands
Lark's Tongues In Aspic
Starless & Bible Black
Red

Van Der Graaf Generator:
Aerosol Grey Machine*
The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other*
H To He, Who Am The Only One*
Pawn Hearts
Godbluff

Genesis:
Trespass*
Nursery Cryme
Foxtrot
Selling England By The Pound
The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
A Trick Of The Tail
Wind & Wuthering

The Beatles:
Revolver
Sgt Peppers*
Magical Mystery Tour*
Yellow Submarine*
White Album*
Abbey Road*
Let It Be

The Doors:
The Doors*
Strange Days*
Waiting For The Sun*
The Soft Parade*
Morisson Hotel*
LA Woman*

Pink Floyd:
The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn
A Saucerful Of Secrets
More
Ummagumma
Atom Heart Mother
Meddle
Obscured By Clouds
Dark Side Of The Moon

Gong:
Magick Brother
Camenbert Electrique
Continental Circus
Flying Teapot
Angel Egg
You

Yes:
Yes
Time & A Word
The Yes Album
Fragile
Close To The Edge*
Tales From Topographic Oceans
Relayer

Black Sabbath:
Black Sabbath
Paranoid
Master Of Reality
Vol.4
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Sabotage

Deep Purple:
Shades Of Deep Purple
The Book Of Taleisyn
Deep Purple
Concerto For Group & Orchestra
In Rock
Fireball
Machine Head
Who Do We Think We Are

*Already have on new Vinyl..

Marco
28-05-2013, 22:50
I'd hang onto the cash in preference to any of those things!
(Actually rather than a couple of those things, I'd prefer to give the cash to a tramp!)

Lol, yeah...

I'm not into hoarding money, though, and am certainly not a tight wad. Life is for living, so as long as it's your own money that you're spending, (and not that of the bank or the credit card company), I'd rather own some nice things, and enjoy them daily, than have a fat bank balance.

As they say, you're a long time dead, and you can't take it with you!! ;)

Marco.

Clive
28-05-2013, 22:53
Excellent list Andre.

steveledzep
28-05-2013, 22:58
Nice list !

Have some ELP, Genesis, PF, Yes, BS and DP off that list. Mostly bought new, but some s/h. Not keen on The Beatles though !

Thanks for listing, most used vinyl from that list, in excellent condition will be expensive.

Good listening.

Spur07
29-05-2013, 07:43

took the words out my mouth chris.

MartinT
29-05-2013, 08:27
I've had very few duds in my new vinyl purchases, although some have needed a go through the RCM to get the mould release agent out of the grooves and settle the high levels of static.

I would offer three suggestions:

1) a Record Cleaning Machine is a wise investment if you're going to collect vinyl.
2) the turntable and cartridge type, loading, preamp etc. play a major part in how much surface noise you hear.
3) use Nagaoka anti-static sleeves for all your records.

I know you've said that side 1 plays well, side 2 has problems etc. so I do understand that there is a real difference between pressing quality, but even so addressing points 1) and 2) above would make your listening pleasure much greater, and 3) keeps them sounding good.

synsei
29-05-2013, 18:42
Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo

So Chris, you think the resurgence in vinyl sales is just a temporary blip? I don't think that is the case myself so let's hope you are wrong, eh? :)

The Grand Wazoo
29-05-2013, 18:59
I hope I am wrong and I hope you're correct about the quality improving, but I'm not holding my breath. Whatever happens they'll keep notching the prices up.

Marco
29-05-2013, 22:37
Like I said before, it's CD that's on the way out, in both the audiophile and mainstream markets. However, in terms of the former, vinyl is rapidly replacing CD as the most popular music format, after computer music streaming.

For evidence of this in the audiophile market, just look at how many new turntables are being produced - more than ever, even compared to what was produced in vinyl's heyday! So, someone is obviously buying them (and the records to play on them)... ;)

Marco.

The Grand Wazoo
29-05-2013, 22:43
However, in terms of the former, vinyl is rapidly replacing CD as the most popular music format

I seriously doubt that Marco. I'd like to see the figures that prove it. Vinyl sales are going up (a bit) and CD sales are going down but that's not the same as 'rapidly replacing'.
'The kids' will move on to the next funky thing and that will be the bursting of the bubble.

Marco
29-05-2013, 23:04
In the audiophile market, Chris, I fully expect vinyl to replace CD, in terms of popularity. It's simply a matter of how quickly that happens, hence why the term 'rapidly' is subjective :)

The fact is, there are many more new turntables being made, than new CDPs, especially in the mid to high-end market, therefore those buyers will need to acquire more and more records to play on their T/Ts, which will boost sales of vinyl accordingly, at a time when CDs sales are dwindling.

Therefore, the current resurgence in vinyl sales, IMO, is not a 'bubble', but simply a true reflection of a growing trend.

There's no doubt in my mind that, in terms of the audiophile market (and that's all I care about), the main music formats of the future will be file-based and vinyl. What the kids do will have little or no effect on that.

Marco.

Thing Fish
29-05-2013, 23:07
I seriously doubt that Marco. I'd like to see the figures that prove it. Vinyl sales are going up (a bit) and CD sales are going down but that's not the same as 'rapidly replacing'.
'The kids' will move on to the next funky thing and that will be the bursting of the bubble.

Figures tends to agree with you Chris but what I see in the shops (I go in) leads me to believe otherwise.

I think vinyl has a longer life than we imagine and not because of the sound quality (whatever people may think of it) but because of the organic connection. People whatever their age still (imho) hanker after the touchy feely aspect regardless of their age.

CD does not offer this but vinyl does. mp3 serves a purpose but does not offer the human connection.

We are organic human ergo we are organic Vinyl...:)

The Grand Wazoo
29-05-2013, 23:08
Apart from a very, very few releases, I don't believe there is an audiophile record industry. There are lots of 180gr pressings, but that's a marketing device - the quality of what's being produced is not that of a premium product.
Good quality releases, such as they are, are fine for older music if that's your thing, but there haven't been many decent sounding DDA records, so where's the future for a long term, healthy audiophile record industry?
We'll have to see, eh!

Marco
30-05-2013, 08:59
You've misunderstood what I meant, dude. When I mentioned the 'audiophile market', I meant the audiophile hi-fi buying market: the real enthusiasts, such as 'us yins', on forums like this, not music (vinyl) produced in an audiophile way.

I'm pretty convinced that in 'our world', in the very near future, vinyl will overtake CD in popularity, as the primary music format of choice (along with file-based audio), as indeed is indicated in terms of the amount of new turntables being produced, which subsequently will have a knock-on effect (increase) on sales of vinyl :)

What happens, in terms of what 'Joe Bloggs' does in the High Street, doesn't concern me.

Marco.

Rare Bird
05-06-2013, 09:21
I'm off again
A load of records arrived today packed in a box twice the size needed with absolutly not packing inside. Three of the eight LP got badly bashed corner Regardless the lot are going back...

This is getting beyond a joke with these mail order companies. I think the best bet from now is dump the Vinyl thing in the water & move on.I'm sorry but it's just too expensive, the products are medicore (im never happy them), postage/packing situation redicularse tbh.. I think id rather put up with the CDee & be done. This hobby is dead in the water with me anyway, i have nothing to loose..

Im fuming like a mad bull today..

DSJR
05-06-2013, 11:40
The "Audiophile market in the UK is but a very few hundred older males I fear (with maybe a couple of mad laydeez thrown in for good measure :)) and possibly a very few thousand in the US. I don't see this declining trend changing any time soon. Despite this, there were around 60 odd million CD albums sold last year and around a million LP's all told IIRC, which is still a great sign that vinyl just won't die.

r100
05-06-2013, 11:51
The "Audiophile market in the UK is but a very few hundred older males I fear (with maybe a couple of mad laydeez thrown in for good measure :)) and possibly a very few thousand in the US. I don't see this declining trend changing any time soon. Despite this, there were around 60 odd million CD albums sold last year and around a million LP's all told IIRC, which is still a great sign that vinyl just won't die.

Love the quote about the demographics of the "Audiophile Market" ... that was my impression too a while ago.. :lol:

MartinT
05-06-2013, 14:22
I've never had any problems with deliveries from Diverse Vinyl. They know how to pack records.
Also, some labels like Speakers Corner lavish some real attention on their designs and the pressings and cover art are very often better than the originals.

Rare Bird
05-06-2013, 20:10
I have yet to try that company Martin..

Audioman
05-06-2013, 20:33
I'm off again
A load of records arrived today packed in a box twice the size needed with absolutly not packing inside. Three of the eight LP got badly bashed corner Regardless the lot are going back...

This is getting beyond a joke with these mail order companies. I think the best bet from now is dump the Vinyl thing in the water & move on.I'm sorry but it's just too expensive, the products are medicore (im never happy them), postage/packing situation redicularse tbh.. I think id rather put up with the CDee & be done. This hobby is dead in the water with me anyway, i have nothing to loose..

Im fuming like a mad bull today..

Sorry to hear this Andre. Even with the best packaging you get the occasional corner ding or split. If it is only minor and down to the courier I live with it. Sometimes impractical to return on economics (from USA). Also you cannot expect suppliers of sealed records to Unseal them so as to put the record outside the sleeve unless specifically requested to do so. In my experience Amazon have really pulled up their socks on LP packaging and now better than Diverse. Diverse have now reverted to a softer cardboard (change in supply?) which is prone to corner crushing if badly handled.

The most annoying thing about a lot of reissues is the lack of label info. Old records used to have all the publishing and songwriting credits on the label. Often this info is omitted where it was not on the original sleeve. Would have thought there is some breach in copyright in omitting this info. Frankly I only buy reissues from the companies I know do a proper job of sleeve reproduction. However judging by the new sleeves it is possible the art of manufacturing some textured finishes and proper laminating has been lost. At least it is now too costly for the bean counters. Remember sleeves started becoming more flimsy and less complicated in design over 30 years ago so this isn't just a recent occurrence.

synsei
05-06-2013, 20:41
I'm sorry but Vinyl will never get anywhere these days unless they get their act together. Record packet construction & finish is piss poor imho, this modern trend in labels where they print details on one side a pathetic section of the cover art on the other just looks crap imho, the labels don't even have a proper finish to them. I certainly do not think the cardboard is of adequate thickness to However the bug for me is the mail order situation, not all mail order companies are the same but a lot don't give a shit about your product you just handed your hard earned cash over for, they aint intrested if it gets to you in one piece or not, ive had some arrive in the most pathetic mailers, which are usless anyway imho even card stiffners included make no difference. Another thing that gets my goat & even when i try drilling it in their heads they still don't listern, when packing: ''You keep the vinyl record in the inner protective bag but remove from the main cover'' you must do this, it takes the stress caused by heavy vinyl away from the cover in transit, avoiding any record split through & crumpled corners, a light packet weight cuts the chance damage down considerably.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr

Spot on André :thumbsup:

chelsea
05-06-2013, 21:12
I'd personally call it a day if it is stressing you out that much.

If i didn't enjoy this hobby/passion i'd find something else.

Rare Bird
05-06-2013, 21:48
I can't it's an illness. As for Hi-Fi i'm afraid that passion has well gone with me..

sparrow
06-06-2013, 10:19
Been an interesting thread. I've been lucky with new vinyl purchases and s/h ones. back in dem ole 70's and 80's I never had to return any LP'sbecauseof faults. I usedto be very fussy and even paranoid aboutdefects and used to think there wassomething wrong when there wasn't i'ma bit more tolerant oof ticks n pops now. but get annoyed if it happens with new presses.

ceejaydee
06-06-2013, 11:01
I can't it's an illness. As for Hi-Fi i'm afraid that passion has well gone with me..

Don't sell yourself short André; If you really didn't care anymore then the quality (or lack of it) of your new vinyl purchases would not provoke such a passionate response... and would someone without passion even bother to post about their disappointment?

Like so many on here I fully empathise with you in regard to the act of listening to a new record hoping that it lives up to the expectations of such an item and is, as it should be, free from either visible or audible imperfections.
I expect covers on new records to be perfect and free from bends or creases too especially at the premium prices expected for vinyl records at the present time.

I don't have an answer for you but can only say that my music listening encompasses many styles in many formats and each has their strengths and weaknesses and one format will always be more in favour than the others at any given time. In some way this helps me to live with if not fully accept that no single format can tick all my boxes all the time.

datawireless
10-06-2013, 19:24
André,

I sit here and hurt for you. And don't know how to help because of course I can't.
I suppose it would be correct to say that the vinyl era is good and gone, technically and historically. You, I and our friends are not going to bring it back as we remember it but our passion will keep it alive. We are the guardians of something much more important than the poor quality of records these days or the criminal way in which they are shipped.

We are the senior authority and the guardians of a whole era of analogue transcription, and music that went with it. Let's not forget that we are all passionate or we wouldn't be online now, reading and writing these words.

Now, as a small token from me, your friend I hope, what would be your all time favorite record that you want to have and can't get? If it's in my collection, you shall have it, and if it isn't, I shall find it.

With regards,
Mike

MartinT
10-06-2013, 22:11
That's a very kind gesture, Mike.

Spectral Morn
10-06-2013, 22:29
André,

I sit here and hurt for you. And don't know how to help because of course I can't.
I suppose it would be correct to say that the vinyl era is good and gone, technically and historically. You, I and our friends are not going to bring it back as we remember it but our passion will keep it alive. We are the guardians of something much more important than the poor quality of records these days or the criminal way in which they are shipped.

We are the senior authority and the guardians of a whole era of analogue transcription, and music that went with it. Let's not forget that we are all passionate or we wouldn't be online now, reading and writing these words.

Now, as a small token from me, your friend I hope, what would be your all time favorite record that you want to have and can't get? If it's in my collection, you shall have it, and if it isn't, I shall find it.

With regards,
Mike

I agree with Martin

Lovely thing to offer to do :)

Regards Neil

Rare Bird
11-06-2013, 00:47
André,

Hi Mike
I will use the latest Beatles Vinyl offerings as an example to prove that fine Sound Quality, excellent pressings, excellent Sleeve construction & finish aswell as superb label quality are still all still possible without charging the earth. This is the frustrating part. The really angering part is the careless way LP's are packed in a fashion.. Most peoples hands are tied with mail order as some physically cannot buy them from a shop. Believe me i would support my local independant Record store if we had one!

André,

That is indeed very generous of you, as for an all time favorite record, i don't really have one, however i have all new Re-Issues of my favorite band in which i am happy with. As pointed out i don't buy used records but i do have a list of LP that's im sure will not get a re-issue which i will be of course forced to locate used. I could post that list up but i would never dream of just taking anything without payment.. Thanks again Mike..

:)

datawireless
11-06-2013, 09:38
Hey, André

That's what your friends are for. Let's have a look at that list.

Regards,
Mike

Rare Bird
11-06-2013, 19:35
Here goes :eyebrows:

Abstract Truth – Silver Trees (Parlophone Records'70)
Accolade (Columbia Records'70)
Apocalypse (Ariola Records'70)
Azitis – Help (Elco Records'71)
Battered Ornaments – Mantle-piece (Harvest Records'69)
B.B Blunder – Worker’s Playtime (United Artists Records'71)
Bob Downes – Electric City (Vertigo Records'70)
Bob Downes – Open Music (Philips Records'70)
Boffalongo (United Artists Records'68)
Brainchild – Healing Of The Lunatic Owl (A&M Records'70)
Brainstorm – Smile Awhile (Spiegelei Records'72)
Brainstorm – Second Smile (Spiegelei Records'73)
Caravan – If I Could Do It All Over Again (Decca Records'70)
Charisma – Beasts & Friends (Roulette Records'71)
Cleves (Infinity Records'71)
Clouds – Scrapbook (Island Records'69)
Clouds – Watercolour Days (Chrysalis Records'71)
CMU – Open Spaces (Transatlantic Records'71)
Coley – Goodbye Brains (Private Pressing'72)
Comfortable Chair, The (Ode Records'68)
Crimson Bridge (Myrrh Records'72)
Cynara (Capitol Records'70)
Demon Fuzz – Afreaka! (Dawn Records'70)
Demon Thor – Anno ’72 (United Artist'72)
Don Schinn – Departures (Colombia Records'69)
Don Schinn – Temples With Prophets (Colombia Records'69)
Dream, The – Get Dreamy (Polydor Records'69)
Dreams – Imagine My Suprise (Colombia Records'71)
Eclectic Mouse – Everything I’ve Got (Capitol Records'69)
Egg – Polite Force (Deram Records'71)
Elephants Memory (Buddah Records'69)
Elizabeth (Vanguard Records'68)
Eiliff (Philips Records'71)
Evolution (Ekipo Records'70)
Eyes Of Blue – In Fields Of Ardath (Mercury Records'69)
Fat Mattress (Polydor Records'69)
Fat Mattress – II (Polydor Records'70)
Ford Theatre - Trilogy For The Masses (ABC Records'68)
Fox – For Fox Sake (Fontana Records'70)
Foxx – The Revolt Of Emily Young (Decca Records'70)
Freeborne, The – Peak Impressions (Monitor Records'68)
Freedoms Children – Battle Hymn Of The Broken Hearted (Parlopone Records'68)
Freedoms Children – Astra (Parlophone Records'70)
Fusion – Border Town (Atco Records'69)
Gentle Giant – Octopus (Vertigo Records'72)
Giles, Giles & Fripp – The Cheerful Insanity Of (Deram Records'68)
Ginger Bakers Airforce (Polydor Records'70)
Ginger Bakers Airforce – 2 (Polydor Records'70)
Gods, The – To Samuel A Son (Colombia Records'69)
Gomorrha – Trauma (BASF Records'71)
Graham Bond – Mighty Graham Bond (Pulsar Records'68)
Graham Bond – Love Is The Law (Pulsar Records'68)
Graham Bond – We Put Our Magick On You (Vertigo Records'71)
Greatest Show On Earth, The – Horizons (Harvest Records'70)
Greatest Show On Earth, The – The Going Is Easy (Harvest Records'70)
Hassles, The (United Artists'67)
Hassles, The – Hour Of The Wolf (United Artist'69)
Head Shop, The (Epic Records'69)
Hungry Wolf (Philips Records'70)
Ian Carr + Nucleus – Solor Plexus (Vertigo Records'71)
Ian Carr + Nucleus – Belladonna (Vertigo Records'72)
I.D Company (Hör Zu Black Records'71)
IF – 3 (United Artists Records'71)
Ikarus (+Plus+ Records'71)
Invaders – There’s A Light There’s A Way (MvM Records’70)
Iron Butterfly – Ball (Atco Records’69)
Iron Butterfly – Heavy (Atco Records’68)
J.K & Co - Suddenly One Summer (White Whale Records’68)
Jody Grind – Far Canal (Transatlantic Records’70)
Jon Lord – Gemini Suite (Purple Records’71)
Jonesy – Keeping Up (Dawn Records’73)
Joy Unlimited – Schmelinge (Pilz Records’71)
Joy Unlimited – Reflections (BASF Records ’73)
Julie Driscol, Brian Augur & The Trinity – Street Noise (Marmalade Records’69)
Junior’s Eyes – Battersea Power Station (Regal Zonophone Records’69)
Junipher Greene – Friendship (Sonet Records’71)
Die Anderen – Kannibal Kommix (Ariola Records’68)
Kayak – See See The Sun (Harvest Records’73)
Keith Tippett Group – Blueprint (RCA Records’72)
Keith Tippett Group – You Are Here..I Am There (Polydor’70)
Light – The Story Of Moses (Brain Records’72)
Linkin’ Lousiana Pepe – Blues Connection (Gazell Records ’68)
Locomotive – We Are Everything You See (Parlophone Records’70)
Machine (Polydor Records’70)
Mainhorse (Polydor Records’71)
Man – Revelation (Pye Records’69)
Mandrake Memorial, The (Poppy Records’68)
Mandrake Memorial, The – Puzzle (Poppy Records’69)
Maquina – Why? (Diabalo Records’70)
Malachi (UK) (EMI Records’72)
Manfred Mann Chapter Three (Vertigo Records’69)
Manfred Mann Chapter Three – Volume.Two (Vertigo Records’70)
Melissa – Midnight Trampolin (Banner Records’71)
Metropolis (Pan Records’74)
McLuhan – Anomaly (Bellaphon Records’72)
Mike Westbrook –Metropolis (Neon Records’71)
Midnight Sun – Walking Circles (Sonet Records’72)
Miles Davis – Miles In The Sky (Colombia Records’68)
Mythos (OHR Records’72)
Mythos – Dreamlab (Kosmische Musik’75)
Neptunes Empire (Polymax Records’71)
Nirvana – Local Anesthetic (Vertigo Records’71)
Norman Haines Band – Den Of Iniquity (Parlophone Records’71)
Nucleus – We’ll Talk About It Later (Vertigo Records’71)
Nucleus – Labyrinth (Vertigo Records’73)
Omnibus (United Artists Records’70)
Orpheus (MGM Records’68)
Osmosis (RCA Victor Records’70)
Pacific Drift – Feelin’ Free (Deram Records’70)
Paupers, The – Ellis Island (Verve Forcast Records’68)
Peanut Butter Conspiracy, The – The Great Conspiracy (CBS Records’67)
Pesky Gee – Exclamation Mark (Pye Records’69)
Peter Wyngarde (RCA Records’70)
Pinguin – Der Grosse Rote Vogel (Zebra Records’72)
Pleasure Fair, The (Uni Records’67)
Plus – Seven Deadly Sins (Probe Records’70)
Principle Edwards – Soundtrack (Dandelion Records’69)
Principle Edwards – The Asmoto Running Band (Dandelion Records’71)
Rainbow Band, The (Sonet Records’70)
Ramases – Glass Top Coffin (Vertigo Records’75)
Recreation (Triangle Records’70)
Recreation – Music Or Not Music (Barclay Records’72)
Ricotti & Albuquerque – First Wind (Pegasus Records’71)
Round House – Scuse Me (Harvest Records’72)
Round House – Down To Earth (Harvest Records’72)
Royal Servants – We (Elite Special Records’70)
Rugby’s, The – Hot Cargo (Amazon Records’69)
Rypdal Terje (Polydor Records’68)
Rypdal Terje – Bleak House (ECM Records’71)
Samson – Are You Samson (Instant Records’69)
Satisfaction (Decca Records’71)
Shampoo – Volume 1 (Motors Records’71)
Solution (Catfish Records’71)
Spooky Tooth & Pierre Henry – Ceremony (Island Records’70)
Sounds Nice – Love At First Sight (Parlophone Records’70)
Strawberry Alarm Clock – Wake Up Its Tomorrow (Uni Records’68)
Stone The Crows (Polydor Records’70)
Stone The Crows – Ode To John Law (Polydor Records’70)
Summerhill (Tetragrammaton Records’69)
Suprise Package – Free Up (LHI Records’68)
Sweet Smoke – Just A Poke (Catfish Records’70)
Swegas – Beyond The Ox (BASF Records’70)
Swegas – Child Of Light (Trend Records’71)
Syrius – Devil’s Masquerade (Pepita Records’72)
Third Eye – Searching (Polydor Records’69)
Third Eye – Awakening (Polydor Records’69)
Thrice Mice (Philips Records’70)
Trifle – First Meeting (Dawn Records’70)
Vanilla Fudge – Renaissance (Atlantic Records’68)
Vanilla Fudge – The Beat Goes On (Atlantic Records’68)
Velvet Night (Metromedia Records’69)
Virus – Revelation (BASF Records’71)
Virus – Thoughts (Pilz Records’71)
Walrus (Deram Records’70)
Warm Dust – Peace For Our Time (Trend Records’71)
Warm Dust – And It Came To Pass (Trend Records’70)
Web – Fully Interlocking (Deram Records’68)
Xhol Caravan – Electrip (Hansa Records’69)

datawireless
11-06-2013, 20:22
WOW!!!

I haven't got a single one of these. I've got to go through it again - this can't be right.
Mike

gariusmacus
11-06-2013, 20:42
WOW!!!

I haven't got a single one of these. I've got to go through it again - this can't be right.
Mike

+1

Audioman
11-06-2013, 21:28
Here goes :eyebrows:

Abstract Truth – Silver Trees (Parlophone Records'70)
Accolade (Columbia Records'70)
Apocalypse (Ariola Records'70)
Azitis – Help (Elco Records'71)
Battered Ornaments – Mantle-piece (Harvest Records'69)
B.B Blunder – Worker’s Playtime (United Artists Records'71)
Bob Downes – Electric City (Vertigo Records'70)
Bob Downes – Open Music (Philips Records'70)
Boffalongo (United Artists Records'68)
Brainchild – Healing Of The Lunatic Owl (A&M Records'70)
Brainstorm – Smile Awhile (Spiegelei Records'72)
Brainstorm – Second Smile (Spiegelei Records'73)
Caravan – If I Could Do It All Over Again (Decca Records'70)
Charisma – Beasts & Friends (Roulette Records'71)
Cleves (Infinity Records'71)
Clouds – Scrapbook (Island Records'69)
Clouds – Watercolour Days (Chrysalis Records'71)
CMU – Open Spaces (Transatlantic Records'71)
Coley – Goodbye Brains (Private Pressing'72)
Comfortable Chair, The (Ode Records'68)
Crimson Bridge (Myrrh Records'72)
Cynara (Capitol Records'70)
Demon Fuzz – Afreaka! (Dawn Records'70)
Demon Thor – Anno ’72 (United Artist'72)
Don Schinn – Departures (Colombia Records'69)
Don Schinn – Temples With Prophets (Colombia Records'69)
Dream, The – Get Dreamy (Polydor Records'69)
Dreams – Imagine My Suprise (Colombia Records'71)
Eclectic Mouse – Everything I’ve Got (Capitol Records'69)
Egg – Polite Force (Deram Records'71)
Elephants Memory (Buddah Records'69)
Elizabeth (Vanguard Records'68)
Eiliff (Philips Records'71)
Evolution (Ekipo Records'70)
Eyes Of Blue – In Fields Of Ardath (Mercury Records'69)
Fat Mattress (Polydor Records'69)
Fat Mattress – II (Polydor Records'70)
Ford Theatre - Trilogy For The Masses (ABC Records'68)
Fox – For Fox Sake (Fontana Records'70)
Foxx – The Revolt Of Emily Young (Decca Records'70)
Freeborne, The – Peak Impressions (Monitor Records'68)
Freedoms Children – Battle Hymn Of The Broken Hearted (Parlopone Records'68)
Freedoms Children – Astra (Parlophone Records'70)
Fusion – Border Town (Atco Records'69)
Gentle Giant – Octopus (Vertigo Records'72)
Giles, Giles & Fripp – The Cheerful Insanity Of (Deram Records'68)
Ginger Bakers Airforce (Polydor Records'70)
Ginger Bakers Airforce – 2 (Polydor Records'70)
Gods, The – To Samuel A Son (Colombia Records'69)
Gomorrha – Trauma (BASF Records'71)
Graham Bond – Mighty Graham Bond (Pulsar Records'68)
Graham Bond – Love Is The Law (Pulsar Records'68)
Graham Bond – We Put Our Magick On You (Vertigo Records'71)
Greatest Show On Earth, The – Horizons (Harvest Records'70)
Greatest Show On Earth, The – The Going Is Easy (Harvest Records'70)
Hassles, The (United Artists'67)
Hassles, The – Hour Of The Wolf (United Artist'69)
Head Shop, The (Epic Records'69)
Hungry Wolf (Philips Records'70)
Ian Carr + Nucleus – Solor Plexus (Vertigo Records'71)
Ian Carr + Nucleus – Belladonna (Vertigo Records'72)
I.D Company (Hör Zu Black Records'71)
IF – 3 (United Artists Records'71)
Ikarus (+Plus+ Records'71)
Invaders – There’s A Light There’s A Way (MvM Records’70)
Iron Butterfly – Ball (Atco Records’69)
Iron Butterfly – Heavy (Atco Records’68)
J.K & Co - Suddenly One Summer (White Whale Records’68)
Jody Grind – Far Canal (Transatlantic Records’70)
Jon Lord – Gemini Suite (Purple Records’71)
Jonesy – Keeping Up (Dawn Records’73)
Joy Unlimited – Schmelinge (Pilz Records’71)
Joy Unlimited – Reflections (BASF Records ’73)
Julie Driscol, Brian Augur & The Trinity – Street Noise (Marmalade Records’69)
Junior’s Eyes – Battersea Power Station (Regal Zonophone Records’69)
Junipher Greene – Friendship (Sonet Records’71)
Die Anderen – Kannibal Kommix (Ariola Records’68)
Kayak – See See The Sun (Harvest Records’73)
Keith Tippett Group – Blueprint (RCA Records’72)
Keith Tippett Group – You Are Here..I Am There (Polydor’70)
Light – The Story Of Moses (Brain Records’72)
Linkin’ Lousiana Pepe – Blues Connection (Gazell Records ’68)
Locomotive – We Are Everything You See (Parlophone Records’70)
Machine (Polydor Records’70)
Mainhorse (Polydor Records’71)
Man – Revelation (Pye Records’69)
Mandrake Memorial, The (Poppy Records’68)
Mandrake Memorial, The – Puzzle (Poppy Records’69)
Maquina – Why? (Diabalo Records’70)
Malachi (UK) (EMI Records’72)
Manfred Mann Chapter Three (Vertigo Records’69)
Manfred Mann Chapter Three – Volume.Two (Vertigo Records’70)
Melissa – Midnight Trampolin (Banner Records’71)
Metropolis (Pan Records’74)
McLuhan – Anomaly (Bellaphon Records’72)
Mike Westbrook –Metropolis (Neon Records’71)
Midnight Sun – Walking Circles (Sonet Records’72)
Miles Davis – Miles In The Sky (Colombia Records’68)
Mythos (OHR Records’72)
Mythos – Dreamlab (Kosmische Musik’75)
Neptunes Empire (Polymax Records’71)
Nirvana – Local Anesthetic (Vertigo Records’71)
Norman Haines Band – Den Of Iniquity (Parlophone Records’71)
Nucleus – We’ll Talk About It Later (Vertigo Records’71)
Nucleus – Labyrinth (Vertigo Records’73)
Omnibus (United Artists Records’70)
Orpheus (MGM Records’68)
Osmosis (RCA Victor Records’70)
Pacific Drift – Feelin’ Free (Deram Records’70)
Paupers, The – Ellis Island (Verve Forcast Records’68)
Peanut Butter Conspiracy, The – The Great Conspiracy (CBS Records’67)
Pesky Gee – Exclamation Mark (Pye Records’69)
Peter Wyngarde (RCA Records’70)
Pinguin – Der Grosse Rote Vogel (Zebra Records’72)
Pleasure Fair, The (Uni Records’67)
Plus – Seven Deadly Sins (Probe Records’70)
Principle Edwards – Soundtrack (Dandelion Records’69)
Principle Edwards – The Asmoto Running Band (Dandelion Records’71)
Rainbow Band, The (Sonet Records’70)
Ramases – Glass Top Coffin (Vertigo Records’75)
Recreation (Triangle Records’70)
Recreation – Music Or Not Music (Barclay Records’72)
Ricotti & Albuquerque – First Wind (Pegasus Records’71)
Round House – Scuse Me (Harvest Records’72)
Round House – Down To Earth (Harvest Records’72)
Royal Servants – We (Elite Special Records’70)
Rugby’s, The – Hot Cargo (Amazon Records’69)
Rypdal Terje (Polydor Records’68)
Rypdal Terje – Bleak House (ECM Records’71)
Samson – Are You Samson (Instant Records’69)
Satisfaction (Decca Records’71)
Shampoo – Volume 1 (Motors Records’71)
Solution (Catfish Records’71)
Spooky Tooth & Pierre Henry – Ceremony (Island Records’70)
Sounds Nice – Love At First Sight (Parlophone Records’70)
Strawberry Alarm Clock – Wake Up Its Tomorrow (Uni Records’68)
Stone The Crows (Polydor Records’70)
Stone The Crows – Ode To John Law (Polydor Records’70)
Summerhill (Tetragrammaton Records’69)
Suprise Package – Free Up (LHI Records’68)
Sweet Smoke – Just A Poke (Catfish Records’70)
Swegas – Beyond The Ox (BASF Records’70)
Swegas – Child Of Light (Trend Records’71)
Syrius – Devil’s Masquerade (Pepita Records’72)
Third Eye – Searching (Polydor Records’69)
Third Eye – Awakening (Polydor Records’69)
Thrice Mice (Philips Records’70)
Trifle – First Meeting (Dawn Records’70)
Vanilla Fudge – Renaissance (Atlantic Records’68)
Vanilla Fudge – The Beat Goes On (Atlantic Records’68)
Velvet Night (Metromedia Records’69)
Virus – Revelation (BASF Records’71)
Virus – Thoughts (Pilz Records’71)
Walrus (Deram Records’70)
Warm Dust – Peace For Our Time (Trend Records’71)
Warm Dust – And It Came To Pass (Trend Records’70)
Web – Fully Interlocking (Deram Records’68)
Xhol Caravan – Electrip (Hansa Records’69)

Andre.

Street Noise (Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger) I have on an Earmark Reissue from a few years back - might be still obtainable. Sounds Ok to me but not heard an original. Might be copies still around.

Cheerful Insanity of Giles Giles and Fripp was reissued on Tapestry in 2007. Some Tapestry titles have resurfaced occasionally.

Caravan, Egg, Stone the Crows and Ginger Baker should be reasonably obtainable at a price. Most of your list are rare as Hen's Teeth and many I have never even heard off - so good luck finding them.

Paul.

Rare Bird
11-06-2013, 23:18
Hi Paul
Yeh i used to have 'Street Noise' & the Pesky Gee 'Exclamation mark on that Earmark label, they were good & excellent cover consruction too. Id love them again if they are obtainable. That list is just the albums i thought hadnt had a recent reisshew, i have a list of another 700 or so i think i can locate on re-issue :eyebrows: Back to the Earmark/Get Back, i had the Gong Trilogy too, they were again supurb re-issues, wish i could locate those aswell.

datawireless
17-06-2013, 23:18
Hi Paul
Yeh i used to have 'Street Noise' & the Pesky Gee 'Exclamation mark on that Earmark label, they were good & excellent cover consruction too. Id love them again if they are obtainable. That list is just the albums i thought hadnt had a recent reisshew, i have a list of another 700 or so i think i can locate on re-issue :eyebrows: Back to the Earmark/Get Back, i had the Gong Trilogy too, they were again supurb re-issues, wish i could locate those aswell.

I have tracked down one of your records, the Syrius – Devil’s Masquerade (Pepita Records’72), on the Hungarian recording which I believe was the original recording. Near mint, both the vinyl media and the cover. These ship out of Poland and I believe they will pack well. Interested?

Regards,
Mike

Qwin
17-06-2013, 23:42
Hi And'e,

"I will use the latest Beatles Vinyl offerings as an example to prove that fine Sound Quality, excellent pressings, excellent Sleeve construction & finish aswell as superb label quality are still all still possible without charging the earth."

Can't agree with you there mate, have you not seen the multiple threads complaining about the quality of these pressings.
Some folks have had to return 4 or 5 copies and still have faulty pressings and with different faults on each copy.

If you got a good copy it seems you are one of the lucky ones. ;)

Rare Bird
17-06-2013, 23:43
Mike:
I located a NOS re-issue in Germany of 'Az Ördög Álarcosbálja' (Devil’s Masquerade) on the Krem label..at a good price..

Rare Bird
17-06-2013, 23:45
Hi And'e,

"I will use the latest Beatles Vinyl offerings as an example to prove that fine Sound Quality, excellent pressings, excellent Sleeve construction & finish aswell as superb label quality are still all still possible without charging the earth."

Can't agree with you there mate, have you not seen the multiple threads complaining about the quality of these pressings.
Some folks have had to return 4 or 5 copies and still have faulty pressings and with different faults on each copy.

If you got a good copy it seems you are one of the lucky ones. ;)

No not me i never complained about them infact ive played em all twice they sound fine to me! Got the last one i needed the other day ('Revolver') sounds brilliant..

Marco
19-06-2013, 21:28
Not me either... I've got about six of the new ones and they're all perfect in every way! :)

Marco.