PDA

View Full Version : Townshend Rock Reference Photos.

southall-1998
27-05-2013, 22:39
I've always liked the look of the ''original'' Townshend Rock Reference Turntable!! Pity, I've never heard one though :( Oh well, at least I have an Elite Rock!!

Any 'ex' Rock Reference owners on here that has still kept pics? If so, please post them on this thread.

:cool:

Andrew B
27-05-2013, 22:56
I wish I'd bought one. Had a few Rocks over the years and heard the Reference. You hardly see them now. When I get the chance, I'll probably seek out a Roksan TMS. I'm used to the Roksan sound now.

southall-1998
27-05-2013, 22:57
I wish I'd bought one. Had a few Rocks over the years and heard the Reference. You hardly see them now. When I get the chance, I'll probably seek out a Roksan TMS. I'm used to the Roksan sound now.

What did you think of the Reference at the time?

Andrew B
27-05-2013, 23:11
It was a bit better than the standard Rock, but only a bit. Both had Excalibur arms and OC9 carts. The ordinary Rock had the Merlin PSU too. It just sounded a little bit more solid and a tiny bit more stable. The noise floor was very low on both decks. In spite of the trough, I always found the Rock to be very sensitive to arm changes. I've used a couple of Helius arms, A Rega RB300 and an Alphason Xenon MCS. All were hugely different. Never had an Excalibur but still feel the urge when I see one :)

southall-1998
27-05-2013, 23:14
Yeah, the little Rock IMO is good value!!!