PDA

View Full Version : Is the forum slow today?

walpurgis
25-05-2013, 15:37
Since 'tuning in' this PM, I've noticed that the forum seems to be slowing down on and off. My other internet stuff is zipping along at its normal speed, so I assume this must just be affecting AOS.

synsei
25-05-2013, 15:37
There is a fault apparently Geoff, the backroom staff are working on it ;)

Beechwoods
25-05-2013, 15:38
Yes, there was an intermittent issue this afternoon from around 2.30-4.30pm UK Time which caused extremely slow running / forum offline time. This appears to have been resolved now. We will be monitoring the situation.

WOStantonCS100
25-05-2013, 15:50
Yes, there was an intermittent issue this afternoon from around 2.30-4.30pm UK Time which caused extremely slow running / forum offline time. This appears to have been resolved now. We will be monitoring the situation.

Sure, sure... put the doughnut down, get back on the bike and keep pedaling and there's no problem, now is there, Nick. :D

...kidding... I'm sure you're on top of it. :)

Spectral Morn
25-05-2013, 15:55
Terrible at the minute.

synsei
25-05-2013, 18:13
Right, I have had enough. Attempting to wade through all this treacle is becoming very frustrating. May I respectfully suggest that you guys find a new hosting company because we've had more downtime in the last couple of months than I remember in my previous three years of membership. I will be back when everything is up and running properly :cool:

AlanS
25-05-2013, 18:24
Right, I have had enough. Attempting to wade through all this treacle is becoming very frustrating. May I respectfully suggest that you guys find a new hosting company because we've had more downtime in the last couple of months than I remember in my previous three years of membership. I will be back when everything is up and running properly :cool:

How will you know?
Where will you go?

Thats a bit shallow.

Beechwoods
25-05-2013, 18:31
I think there is a network issue here. The server load / memory usage looks OK. Even images like the banner are taking time to download on the very front index page. We are as frustrated as all you are.

synsei
25-05-2013, 18:36
I noticed images were taking an age to load Nick, even members avatars were taking their sweet time.

Alan, I don't want to get into a fight with you, my points were valid mate.

Marco
25-05-2013, 18:41
It's not the same problem as the last time, because the forum is up, just running very slow. We suspect that it's a network issue. As soon as we get any info, we'll update everyone.

In the meantime, it's a nice sunny night, so go and get some fresh air in the garden, instead of moaning like big girls! ;)

{Edit: Ah, Nick beat me to it!}

Marco.

kenworthy100
25-05-2013, 18:45
It's not the same problem as the last time, because the forum is up, just running very slow. We suspect that it's a network thing. As soon as we get any info, we'll update everyone.

In the meantime, it's a nice sunny night, so go and get some fresh air in the garden! ;)

Marco.

nice bottle of red and some cool tunes for me

Marco
25-05-2013, 18:47
Excellent, John. We've got the barby going and have just cracked open a nice bottle of Rioja Gran Reserva! :cheers:

Marco.

Marco
25-05-2013, 18:57
All seems normal now!! :yay:

Marco.

walpurgis
25-05-2013, 19:03
All seems normal now!! :yay:

Marco.

Yes, compared to half an hour ago. It seems to be OK now.

Tim
25-05-2013, 19:19
Since 'tuning in' this PM, I've noticed that the forum seems to be slowing down on and off. My other internet stuff is zipping along at its normal speed, so I assume this must just be affecting AOS.
You need to get out more Geoff ;)

walpurgis
25-05-2013, 19:37
You need to get out more Geoff ;)

Never let it be said I have no sense of humour. Even if I haven't! :ner:

Barry
27-05-2013, 13:35
Excellent, John. We've got the barby going and have just cracked open a nice bottle of Rioja Gran Reserva! :cheers:

Marco.

Sounds good to me! :)

Spectral Morn
29-05-2013, 19:09
Having problems at the minute, pages not loading, warning you don't have access to this page messages and data missing of the pages :(

'Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /forum/newreply.php on this server.

Apache/2.2.3 (CentOS) Server at theartofsound.net Port 80'

Regards Neil

walpurgis
29-05-2013, 19:11
Yup, same here "you do not have access on this server" message.

Spectral Morn
29-05-2013, 19:12
Yup, same here "you do not have access on this server" message.

It seems to be getting worse at the minute :(

Regards Neil

RichB
29-05-2013, 19:13
Same here, repeated forbidden pages, no access on the server.

As an aside I notice HFS has gone down and is showing a server test page. Wtf is going on with the forums lately?

synsei
29-05-2013, 19:16
Is anyone else having problems with the forum this evening? When switching between sections I am regularly presented with an Apache Server alert screen telling me I am forbidden from accessing the server. Also I have noticed icons failing to load on various screens :eyebrows:

synsei
29-05-2013, 19:17
Apologies guys, took me nearly 7 mins to post the above so didn't see your messages :eyebrows:

Spectral Morn
29-05-2013, 19:17
Is anyone else having problems with the forum this evening? When switching between sections I am regularly presented with an Apache Server alert screen telling me I am forbidden from accessing the server. Also I have noticed icons failing to load on various screens :eyebrows:

Yes + various sections of the forum being missing, avatars, function buttons and a minute ago the entire AOS header was missing.

Regards Neil

walpurgis
29-05-2013, 19:18
I'm giving up for now. The forum is virtually unusable.

synsei
29-05-2013, 19:32
Seems to be working for now, how weird? :scratch:

As an aside I notice HFS has gone down and is showing a server test page. Wtf is going on with the forums lately?

It's been down all day Rich, very odd indeed... :eyebrows:

MartinT
29-05-2013, 19:32
Guys - the forum is suffering tonight. Not sure I can post this, but I'll try.

synsei
29-05-2013, 19:34
Ignore my PM Martin, it has been answered... ;)

EDIT: Can't be sure as yet but I don't think the New Posts button is doing its thing either...

MartinT
29-05-2013, 20:05
Yes, sorry Dave, I simply couldn't PM you! Things are still a bit dodgy and I'm getting error pages on various actions. Nick will be investigating in due course.

synsei
29-05-2013, 20:10
Yes, sorry Dave, I simply couldn't PM you! Things are still a bit dodgy and I'm getting error pages on various actions. Nick will be investigating in due course.

No worries Martin I had the same issue trying to send the PM. Lots of page refreshing worked in the end but it took a while :lol:

Glad to hear Nick is on the case :)

Ninanina
29-05-2013, 20:15
Glad to hear Nick is on the case :)

Go for it Nick, it's defo got a few problems tonight....poor thing that it is :D

walpurgis
01-06-2013, 11:43
Just picked up another AVG LinkScanner threat advisory.

[img=http://s10.postimg.org/4jpfeqxqt/Screen_Shot001.jpg] (http://postimg.org/image/4jpfeqxqt/)

MartinT
01-06-2013, 12:12
I haven't had any warnings in the last week. No matter, the migration on Monday to VB4 should finally kill it.

Tim
01-06-2013, 12:15
I haven't had any warnings in the last week. No matter, the migration on Monday to VB4 should finally kill it.
I've never had any Martin . . . period, not one ever, but then I know how to use a computer, have a modern O/S and don't use that crock AVG :lol:

synsei
01-06-2013, 12:18
I agree with Tim regarding AVG. I used to use it myself but got fed up with the number of false alerts it would throw up. I use MSE now which is a vast improvement.

Tim
01-06-2013, 12:20
I use MSE now which is a vast improvement.
:thumbsup:

MartinT
01-06-2013, 12:23
We've migrated at work to SCEP (Systems Center Endpoint Protection) which is the corporate version of MSE and is equally excellent.

synsei
01-06-2013, 12:28
MS have come a long way since Windows Defender, it used to drive me to distraction. They have really got their act together with MSE though. It is so easy to use and does exactly what it says on the tin without any fuss. It is good to hear the commercial version is excellent too Martin :)

MartinT
01-06-2013, 12:32
Don't confuse old Defender with new. The version built-in to W8 is full MSE. Nice!

walpurgis
01-06-2013, 12:47
I've never had any Martin . . . period, not one ever, but then I know how to use a computer, have a modern O/S and don't use that crock AVG :lol:

I don't use AVG antivirus, just the separate LinkScanner. My AV is a combination of Kingsoft Antivirus and PC Tools Threatfire AV working together very nicely, with Spyware Expert ticking over in the background! ;)

DSJR
01-06-2013, 13:57
Tim, my PC's are reather old and run XP, but after a general history cleanup, when logging on to AOS, I have either an MSE cleaning window pop up (something to do with Java) and even SuperAntiSpyware has picked up on something occasionally - and yep, I've done complete scans.

I don't get any issues anywhere else and things go barmy when receiving and viewing PM's are concerned :scratch:

Tim
02-06-2013, 11:24
I don't use AVG antivirus, just the separate LinkScanner. My AV is a combination of Kingsoft Antivirus and PC Tools Threatfire AV working together very nicely, with Spyware Expert ticking over in the background!
:stalks: what the heck do you do on your computer that makes you think you need all that Geoff. It must be like wading through treacle :scratch:

If there's any advice I can give you and take it or leave it, its up to you, but you need to move away from Windows XP - its no longer going to be supported from April anyway, so you are going to have to bite the bullet at some point, if you want to remain a Windows user and stay safe on the internet. You can it seems install an O/S as you have just done it, so that should be OK.

Windows 8 is the natural choice, but if you really don't like the sound of it get 7, but I would strongly advise 8. Even on old hardware Windows 8 flies and you will feel like you have a new computer. When you get either 7 or 8, install Microsoft Security Essentials (http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/security/pc-security/mse.aspx), its really all you need - its free, it works and its 100% guaranteed to be compatible with a Windows O/S and don't click on things without reading what they say first ... in fact just don't click on things anyway - then you won't need all that third party nonsense, which is doing who knows what to your machine and throwing up needless spurious messages ;)

MartinT
02-06-2013, 12:08
Seconded, only with W8 you don't install MSE, you just go into Control Panel and turn on Defender (which is MSE built-in).

walpurgis
02-06-2013, 13:52
:stalks: what the heck do you do on your computer that makes you think you need all that Geoff. It must be like wading through treacle :scratch:

No, Kingsoft AV has no more noticeable effect than using any other regular single definitions based AV setup, it certainly does not seem as resource hungry as Norton or McAfee (or AVG) for instance. The PC is quick. The additional Threatfire is behaviour based and does not have any noticeable impact on speed, it is designed to run alongside other AVs without snags. Why not be better protected? After all, MSE failed to catch the bug (from this site) that destroyed my previous OS installation.

I'm happy to leave the AVG LinkScanner on the computer as it does catch stuff. Even if some may be false alerts, at least it's definitely doing something. It's only a small application anyway.

Spyware Expert digs deeper than Spybot and Adaware, etc. It finds bugs the others miss. It often seems to catch the well known 'waledec' trojan, the others don't.

I'm aware that XP support from Microsoft ends soon. But that will not render it immediately unusable. Possibly alternative patches etc., will be offered elsewhere.

I was considering installing Windows 7, but I'd have to bump up the RAM first, but the processor should be OK. I've also been thinking about trying a Linux distro. There seem to be some well sorted, properly user friendly options these days. They even look nice now.

Of course, I may just get another, newer PC. But I'd still have some extra security software on it.

walpurgis
02-06-2013, 22:05
I see Windows 8.1 is due out. With 8.2 along with Windows 9 being released next year.

Lets face it, 8 has not been hugely popular, as has been reflected in the sale of new desktop PCs with 8 on board. I gather 7 still outsells it. The situation may be different with laptops.

MartinT
02-06-2013, 22:11
Lets face it, 8 has not been hugely popular

Mostly with others expressing similar opinions who haven't actually used it.

walpurgis
04-06-2013, 11:43
Would an alternative "opinion" be one that says 8 is popular and if so would that be correct?

It has been avoided by many PC buyers since release, nowt to do with me :eyebrows:

Reffc
04-06-2013, 11:52
I've used Windows 8 and windows 7.

Windows 8 is the most ill thought out, unfinished and user unfriendly windows interface (imho) that microsoft have ever released, and which I have ever had the misfortune to use.

It takes a heck of a lot of trial and error getting used to it and if you are used to a more intuitive OS like widows 7, you may be better waiting for the windows 9 version to be released. Once used to windows 8, it does work well and is pretty fast but personally, I loathe it.

MartinT
04-06-2013, 12:04
It seems to generate a very Marmite response. For all the 'ill thought out' opinions out there, there are those (like me) who see a beauty of design, swiftness and productivity. I don't use it on all my machines (work and home) for nothing!

However, I accept that not everyone gets on with it.

Tim
04-06-2013, 18:18
The speed of it is just wonderful and it doesn't take too long to adapt to it - I remember the switch from 98SE to XP - people hated XP, I mean hated it, but low and behold it became (and still is for many) MS's most favoured O/S :lol:

MartinT
04-06-2013, 21:56
XP is a classic and became a highly stable OS. It should be revered, but put to pasture now. It is four generations old and really shows its age (I have one test machine running XP and it's slow)!

walpurgis
04-06-2013, 23:18
XP is a classic and became a highly stable OS. It should be revered, but put to pasture now. It is four generations old and really shows its age (I have one test machine running XP and it's slow)!

Yeah, but I'm older than XP and it's faster than me! :)

Stratmangler
04-06-2013, 23:35
I remember the switch from 98SE to XP - people hated XP, I mean hated it ...

That's because it was shite when it came out.
Microsoft spent more than a few hours burning Midnight Oil to get it right, but when they got it right it was excellent.

Stratmangler
04-06-2013, 23:38
XP is a classic and became a highly stable OS ...

And became is the operative word, and also backs up my previous post.
However, time stops for nobody, and I'm generally quite happy with Win7.

Tim
05-06-2013, 10:09
I just noticed your signature Chris, very funny :lol:

Marco
05-06-2013, 10:14
What I find funniest of all are people who get all 'het up' about that kind of bullshite!! :mental:

:lol:

Marco.

Gordon Steadman
05-06-2013, 10:23
What I find funniest of all are people who get all 'het up' about that kind of bullshite!! :mental:

Marco.

Indeed, I get fed up to the back teeth with the constant sniping by one side at the other. I don't laugh at you using an ancient pair of speakers, some pimped up Japanese TT and a German car so why do people make so much of other people's choices in life.

Lets start a 'laugh at someone's choice of dishwasher' thread. Should be just as entertaining.

Marco
05-06-2013, 10:30
Indeed... Quite simply, when it comes to computers and/or their achingly boring and banal operating systems, I expend about as much emotion towards those (i.e. none) as I do towards politics! ;)

Nothing bores me more than a bunch of computer geeks wetting their panties over Windoze or their Apple Strudels.... <YAWN>

Marco.

MartinT
05-06-2013, 13:04
For some of us, it's a career. I'm paid to care about it and make the right strategy!

Gordon Steadman
05-06-2013, 13:20
I understand that but why is it necessary to knock and mock other people's choices??

The reason I use a Mac is that when I was looking for a computer in 1985, the first dealer I walked into had just got the first MacPlus in and I bought it on the spot £2500 or no. Nowadays, they all work the same way more or less and like all things in life, its the small differences we pick up on as suiting us or not. I can use both Windoze and MacOs, but I prefer the look and feel of one over the other. But then I prefer Alfas to BMWs and Mercedes and valve amps over SS and ESLs over coils. Its just the way I am, why should it be a case for argument or put down?

MartinT
05-06-2013, 14:30
Who is knocking other people's choices? I think you'll find that all we've had is a bit of light-hearted banter, initially started by another user's put-down in his signature!!

Marco
05-06-2013, 14:32
For some of us, it's a career. I'm paid to care about it and make the right strategy!

Indeed... But perhaps there's a case for 'switching off' after working hours and leaving one's work where it belongs? Whatever tickles your fancy, Martin, but if I were working with computers all day long, the last thing I'd be interested in discussing, in my personal time, on a forum or anywhere else, would be computers! ;)

I'm not saying you do that, incidentally. However, the same would apply with any duty one were involved in performing at work. When I've finished framing 300-odd pictures for a nursing home, the last thing I'd feel like doing would be discussing or going through that process with someone else later..... :eek:

Anyway, we're all different! :)

Marco.

Gordon Steadman
05-06-2013, 14:45
The problem with light hearted banter in this connection is that it isn't. Putting a comment like that in a signature is a direct aim at someone's choices. I know its easy to be super sensitive and all that but its just unnecessary. I feel exactly the same about Mac users who have a sense of superiority just because of the computer they use.

It bothers me not at all but I know some folks who take this sort of thing personally and I tire of telling them to 'chill out', relax and listen to the music.

Marco
05-06-2013, 15:02
Sure, but like I said, Gordon, I don't get how anyone can get 'upset' about someone mocking their choice of computer... The very notion makes me titter. I couldn't give a flying f*ck if someone called me a 'sweaty Windows 7-using homo', because to be annoyed by something like that would be ridiculous! :lol:

The same would apply if someone said that I was 'a deaf Tannoyista with a penchant for using over-hyped plastic DJ decks'!! I guess that some delicate little wallflowers are too sensitive for their own good. Me? For pish like that, I have a hide like a rhino ;)

Marco.

Tim
05-06-2013, 15:20
:popcorn:

Gordon Steadman
05-06-2013, 15:40
Aha but how can anyone get upset about their choice of football club or religion. Nasty deeds are done in the name of both. You may say they are more important but I would say they are less so.

Me, I'm a wallflower of course and sensitive is my middle name.

Marco
05-06-2013, 15:52
Aha but how can anyone get upset about their choice of football club or religion. Nasty deeds are done in the name of both.

Yup - by utter scumbags, who don't deserve the title of human being... I've yet to hear of anyone, however, who was killed because they upset someone over their choice of computer, although no doubt some idiot will alter that situation at some point! :doh:

Me, I'm a wallflower of course and sensitive is my middle name.

Yes, I'm a delicate little soul, too - a real shy and retiring type! Can't you tell? :eyebrows:

Marco.

Spectral Morn
05-06-2013, 19:50
Things were a bit up the left a little while ago - very slow loading - I gave up.

Regards Neil

Beechwoods
05-06-2013, 19:52
Yep, it was shit for a while - network issues which our server will be hearing about tomorrow. Unacceptable :steam:

Barry
05-06-2013, 20:14
Things were a bit up the left a little while ago - very slow loading - I gave up.

Regards Neil

Me too - ten minutes between logging in and making a post (which failed)!

MartinT
05-06-2013, 20:15
which our server will be hearing about tomorrow

Will you be giving it a dressing down in C, Nick? :lol:

Marco
05-06-2013, 20:18
Hehehehe....

Marco.

synsei
05-06-2013, 20:23
I have a vision of Nick standing in front of the server wagging his finger at it whilst giving it a stern ticking off... :lol:

Alex_UK
05-06-2013, 20:26
I have a vision of Nick standing in front of the server wagging his finger at it whilst giving it a stern ticking off... :lol:

I think he's probably kicking it vigorously in the C... CPU. ;)

Beechwoods
05-06-2013, 20:39

Server *Host* :ner: You naughty people!

Spectral Morn
05-06-2013, 20:43
Cat of nine tails might work ;) :whippin:

Gordon Steadman
06-06-2013, 10:08
Yup - by utter scumbags, who don't deserve the title of human being... I've yet to hear of anyone, however, who was killed because they upset someone over their choice of computer, although no doubt some idiot will alter that situation at some point! :doh:

Yes, I'm a delicate little soul, too - a real shy and retiring type! Can't you tell? :eyebrows:

Marco.

How can I believe that a personage of Italian extraction actually has a soul when he drives a Merc instead of a proper car? Hmmm...... what was that about lifestyle choices:eyebrows:

Mind you, I suffer the fires of hell having to drive an old Ford when I used to own seven Alfas - all at the same time of course. Life is so unfair, don't know how I survive:(

walpurgis
08-06-2013, 08:54
A minute or so ago, I closed my browser whilst on this site and my PC immediately shut down and rebooted, then giving me a message saying the system had recovered from a serious error. Whether this had anything to do with the AOS site, who knows, but it's never happened before.

Tim
08-06-2013, 09:11
That was me Geoff, I put a remote access bot in there recently to see if I could help with all your computer issues and just clicked the wrong button, sorry :o

walpurgis
08-06-2013, 09:22
That was me Geoff, I put a remote access bot in there recently to see if I could help with all your computer issues and just clicked the wrong button, sorry :o

I knew it! You cheeky sod. :lol:

The Grand Wazoo
08-06-2013, 09:53
Geoff,
Your PC has problems, and I sympathise with you for that, but you really can't attribute them to AoS. You're obviously not able to sort this yourself, so perhaps you need to get someone to check things out for you, but all of these negative associations to AoS are beginning to be damaging.

struth
08-06-2013, 10:43
certainly won't have happened due to browsing a site..
I used to get that occasionally and it was a glitch in the hard drive where the operating system was stored.
that was because I had a new drive installed and the old one cloned in.

nothi g to worry about, especially if your using vista...like I was ...doh......now got win 8 and I love it by the way...

Marco
08-06-2013, 11:05
Geoff,
Your PC has problems, and I sympathise with you for that, but you really can't attribute them to AoS. You're obviously not able to sort this yourself, so perhaps you need to get someone to check things out for you, but all of these negative associations to AoS are beginning to be damaging.

Indeed.

Geoff, I also sympathise with your PC problems, but I must ask now that you give it a rest with these reports, as they're not doing anyone any favours, least of all you. It's a lovely sunny day, mate, so I suggest that you switch off your computer for a while and go out and enjoy the nice weather.

Cheers! :cool:

Marco.

walpurgis
08-06-2013, 14:20
Geoff,

Not sure what you're saying Chris.

I attributed nothing to AOS. My PC runs flawlessly as a rule, I just stated what happened. As for "Damaging", that's a bit of a leap. I'm not sure anybody would make such an association.

But, if it pisses you off my saying anything about computers, I'll stop.

(Cor, talk about censorship! mutter, mutter, mutter. :scratch:)

MartinT
08-06-2013, 20:16
How does...

I attributed nothing to AOS

...tally with...

I'm pretty sure the bug that wiped out my O/S came from here

?

Now we know that members here have all manner of computer savviness and we cast no aspersions on anyone, but even if AoS on VB3 had a java-related Trojan - and it was by no means proved that it resided here rather than came from a Google Ad or from a dodgy link - people in the know will tell you that the purpose of a Trojan is not to wipe out an O/S. As Chris said, it is extremely unlikely that anything on AoS was responsible for causing your computer problems and much more likely that your installation was unstable. Just to set the record straight.

Tim
08-06-2013, 20:47
Geoff I have gone through this with you previously and I'll try to assist one last time - IMHO (which is based on a little experience) your installation is at fault, be it software conflicts or a hardware problem, I suspect its hardware related, most likely your hard drive if you are getting blue screens, but hard to diagnose remotely. With all that third party rubbish you have running on your computer and a frankly out of date O/S you WILL experience problems, things have moved on and XP is not as stable as it used to be, especially if you install third party software and use the internet. To minimise this and to try and identify your issue I would advise you reinstall XP (if you must) and do a clean install, i.e format your drive during the process, update to SP3 put all recent updates on and install MSE and NOTHING ELSE, no scanner this, checker that, spybot blah, blah, blah. Its rubbish and you don't need it with MSE. I have no idea what you are doing on the net and frankly don't want to, if its dodgy then use a Virtual Machine and VM Player is free, then you can protect your host if you run into problems. Keep a backup of your Virtual Machine elsewhere, then just bin it after whatever you have done and use a fresh one, then you are pretty much bullet proof if you hit a bug on-line.

If you do the above and you still get issues, its more likely hardware related and ageing laptop hard drives are susceptible due to the heat they have to contend with and when they get too hot, they can cause blue screen errors. Check to see what your hard drive temp is whilst running under load, there are lots of apps available, Speccy is a good tool or Active Hard Disk Monitor - Google will find them all for you.

But the best advice I can give you is ditch XP, get a modern O/S and don't use third party 'free' software, its free for a reason . . . .

AlanS
08-06-2013, 20:48
people in the know will tell you that the purpose of a Trojan is not to wipe out an O/S.

Err the purpose of a trojan would be whatever its author want it to be. This in no way precludes damaging the O/S.
You may not welcome Geoffs posts but no need to bend things.

walpurgis
08-06-2013, 20:53
Martin, I was hoping to say no more,

but quoting a months old post, totally unrelated to today's post about the PC occurrence I experienced today is not really playing the game.

If you're poking through all my old posts, you'll be aware that I have a new OS installation and any bugs that may have been present months ago would be long gone.

Nuff said (on my part anyway).

MartinT
08-06-2013, 20:54
Alan - the kinds of malware designed to trash systems died in the dark ages. These days Trojans are highly clever pieces of software written by teams and designed to reward them with a backdoor into the system, usually to recruit the machine into a botnet or to lure the user into paying money to 'unlock' the system.

Tim
08-06-2013, 20:55
Err the purpose of a trojan would be whatever its author want it to be. This in no way precludes damaging the O/S.
I would agree Alan, but Trojans are primarily written to either control or harvest information from a remote computer - the net result may be a corrupt O/S, but Trojans are written for gain not pain ;)

struth
08-06-2013, 21:17
If you feel you have a trojan or the like then download and use HITMAN PRO.....if it is there it will find it....you an get a free trial.

by and by it is a cloud based on demand scanner and wont upset any other anti virus programs

AlanS
08-06-2013, 21:17
All you guys writing the rules? Software does what its author intends not what you want to state it does or doesn't do.

Dont clutch at the Trojan word/current concept.

Marco
08-06-2013, 21:23
Guys,

Can we wrap this up now, as I'm really not liking the vibe... All points have been eloquently expressed by the relevant 'protagonists' and I can't see further discussion going anywhere positive.

I therefore declare this thread dead... :deceased: and....

:sucks:

Marco.

P.S Please don't make me lock it!