PDA

View Full Version : The Dance Has Begun, Lets Usher In a New Era

Sand Dancin Donkey Walker
19-04-2009, 16:05
Well then where do I start,

After a chat with Dave I decided to travel down to Dartmouth and pick the Ushers up, including the packing cases. Set off Saturday and finally returned home about 03.15 Sunday morning. Taking us on a 794 Mile round trip in one go. My god was I goosed when I got home.

Well didn't get up until mid-day and then had to extract the huge packing cases that contained the speakers from the hire van ( which some kind person ran into with his toe bar while parked at a service station and drove off without telling me T**t ).

Speakers unpacked, what an effort that is, definitely a 2 man job. Plinths attached and put into an initial guess position. Connected up and powered up the kit.

Thought I had better give them a chance to acclimatise so put a CD on at low level and walked out the room to let them play nice and quietly for a while. No too sure how I managed to do that as I am as excited as a kid at Christmas. Daft sod I am :eyebrows:.

A couple of quick photo's below and a brief first thought of the speakers very first listen to.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll246/HyCoignitor/Audio%20Art%20of%20Sound/Usher1.jpg

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll246/HyCoignitor/Audio%20Art%20of%20Sound/Usher2.jpg

Flippin' Awesome.

Will post a more thoughtful review of sorts later when I have got to grips with them, but these beasts have made the selling of my Dali's suddenly disappear into the past. These are the way forward.

Andy - SDDW :gig:

P.S. Cheers to Mart for doing the driving for me.

Spectral Morn
19-04-2009, 16:13
Nice pictures Andy....I look forward to your write up. Thank you.:)

You can tell those are going to be a bit awkward to position and get out of their boxes...not much worse than gloss, cabinets to try and hold on to....you can't :lol:

I didn't know you had an Almarro amp. Whats it like...you can PM me or write a review :lol:

Regards D S D L

19-04-2009, 17:06
Hi Neil

I’ve had the Almarro 50125 for a couple of years now. It actually replaced a Krell FPB200, so it had to do things right.

How would I describe the sound;

·Power - 125W according to the manufacturer, personally I would say 80-90.
·Control – Keeps it all together, no overblown bass lines or bloating. Puts the music forward without overemphasizing any aspect of the music.
·Finesse – All the subtleties of the music are faithfully reproduced, the natural decay of instruments seem to be replicated correctly.

The amps are hand built to order and can be specified as Integrated, Power or Monoblock amps.

I’ve always been well pleased with it, and the true test, for me anyway, is I have no thoughts about replacement. Well apart from wondering what the monoblocks would do for me, reduced bank balance I would think.

Andy - SDDW

Beechwoods
19-04-2009, 17:08
Very tidy setup Andy. The Ushers look fantastic. Very much at home, they do!

19-04-2009, 17:17
Hi Nick

They do look, well permenant don't they, I have only given them a best guess placement initially. The Almarro is going to be pulled forward and the RHS speaker will move to the right a touch. With the space at the rear nice and open I can play with side wall and back wall boundry effects.

So far the imagery is spot on and Nnenna Freelons vocals are so soulful and emmotional it's unreal. Bass depth is, tight and deep. Sounds like it is emminating from the bowels of the earth.

Must depart as the PC is in a different room to the Ushers I need to listen to more, and more, and more, and more :).

Back soon

Andy - SDDW

John
19-04-2009, 17:18
Lovelly looking system and as Nick says the Ushers look fantastic and imagine they will be big step up
I look forward to your thoughts

Marco
19-04-2009, 17:46
Looking fantastic, Andy. I've always rated Ushers and those big babies look da bizzo!! :eek: :youtheman:

Enjoy (I know you will) ;)

Marco.

19-04-2009, 19:03
Hi Guys

I've been enjoying these Ushers for the last few hours and been just playing CD after CD. So far there is nothing that I through at these beauties that they can't handle.

They are just so enjoyable, a good pointer to just how much I am loving these is I have already stopped analysing them and just enjoying playing the music.

Been playing a few of my favorite guitarists Lee Ritenour, Larry Carlton, Ronny Jordan, Frank Gambale. The expression is they seem to be so much more 'articulate' in their playing now than they were before, hope you understand what I am trying to say there?

Back to music now guys. Currently playing Ronny Jordan - At Last with Crystal Lake on vocals. Mmmmmmmmm Nice

Andy - SDDW

Beechwoods
19-04-2009, 19:19
Ronny's Jordan's cover of 'So What' is funky as hell... enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JrVGWmwGjQ

John
19-04-2009, 19:26
Some really cool players Andy and great to hear you enjoying the music and no longer listening to the sound

19-04-2009, 19:39
Hi John

It has taken even me by surprise, I would normally sit and analyse the speakers for far longer, more likely days or weeks before just getting down to the music.

Just shows, there is a surprise everywhere in life. I do have the 'Stupid Grin' :) look about me at the moment.

Well, Well pleased

Nick - Which CD has the 'So What' track on, I have - At Last, A Brighter Day, Light to Dark and After 8.

Andy - SDDW

MartinT
19-04-2009, 19:48
Nice one Andy, from one Usher user to another. They will continue to improve for a while yet. Do yours have a compartment for lead shot?

Beechwoods
19-04-2009, 19:59
Nick - Which CD has the 'So What' track on, I have - At Last, A Brighter Day, Light to Dark and After 8.

I think his original version was on 'The Antidote'.

And there was a great slightly tweaked & reworked version on 'Bad Brothers' by Ronny Jordan and DJ Krush (great album by the way).

The 'Bad Brothers' version has the most groove, so if you can find it, get that album. The original is more straight acid-jazz... you takes your picks!

19-04-2009, 20:31
Hi Guys

Martin - I see you have the even more massive BE20's. If the BE20's are an even greater step forward than the 8571's then you must be in permenant Super Grin mode. The speakers have the mass loadable compartment, you remove the name plate at the front bottom of the speakers and place the extra mass (do you really need any more? ) in the bass of the speakers. How do you have you speakers positioned, did you add the extra mass to you speakers or are they left as standard.

John - Cheers for the recommendations, will get searching after I complete this post.

I've got to the point that I have so many CD's out ready to play I can't now decide which to play next. What a nice dilemma to be in :).

Andy - SDDW

MartinT
19-04-2009, 22:22
Andy

They are positioned as in the photo here:

http://www.mtc.nildram.co.uk/images/New System Big.jpg

I bought 60kg of lead shot and put 30kg into each speaker's compartment. There is room for even more. The speakers stand on the provided brass cones. The difference the lead shot made is in the depth and tightness of bass. I like the bass to be very tight and to have real clout without any woolliness or overhang. This they do to a frightening degree (Kraftwerk's The Man Machine from their live album has a visceral impact that brings a huge grin to my face). It is easier to tell the exact note being played with organ pedals such as the exceptional fundamentals from Widor's second movement of Symphony No. 6.

All of this is not to forget their supreme abilities in the mid and treble from those beautiful beryllium drivers.

20-04-2009, 07:16
Hi Martin

Great looking system, I bet it sound fine too. My speakers are not on the spikes yet, as it is far easier to move them about without snagging the carpet with the 5 spikes per speaker, though I am nearly happy enough with the position to fit them soon. Is that room treatment in the RH corner or just ornamental, again an area I will have to visit sometime to see what the benifits are for me, I know they can work very well done correctly

Will have to give the lead shot thing a bit of consideration, where did you get your from? or does anyone have an alternative suggestion. The speakers currently are firing to a position just behind the listeners head by about 2'. This seems about right at the moment.

Andy - SDDW

Marco
20-04-2009, 07:16
I like the bass to be very tight and to have real clout without any woolliness or overhang. This they do to a frightening degree (Kraftwerk's The Man Machine from their live album has a visceral impact that brings a huge grin to my face).

Hehehehe... Martin; me too - you are a man after my own heart! :eyebrows:

I know this track very well and the Spendors do the same trick in my room via their 12" drivers. You can't beat big speakers shifting lots of air for grin-inducing fun!

Have you got the 'Minimum Maximum' live box set from Kraftwerk - is this the live album you're referring to? That sounds absolutely awesome on a good system with big speakers. Try playing 'Dentaku' or 'Elektro Kardiogramm' (love the heavy breathing effect at the beginning, too) for viceral bass that will pin you to your seat as it pressurises the room. It makes me feel quite queasy!!! :gig:

Andy, your 8571s should be able to generate this sort of effect, too.

Marco.

20-04-2009, 07:27
Marco

I can confirm that they can do deep tight powerful bass and does it very well indeed.

Had an hour or so with Marcus Miller - The Ozell Tapes. A live recording done very well indeed.

Andy - SDDW

P.S. Strangely enough last night I only played CD's :scratch:. Tonight it's it the turn for the Feickert to make the Ushers sing, will report back later.

Marco
20-04-2009, 08:41
That should be a hoot! ;)

We expect a full 'blow-by-blow' account of the experience :eyebrows:

Marco.

MartinT
20-04-2009, 09:00
Marco - yes, it's the Minimum Maximum album I was referring to. Phenomenal live recording and, as you say, pins me to my seat!

Andy - I'm using TubeTrap room treatment in all four corners, plus a SubTrap out of picture (but no subwoofer) and PicturePanels, two of which you can see in the photo. My room is nice and dead with very little flutter echo which does wonders for clarity and inner detail.

I bought the lead shot from a recycler. Other sources are yacht suppliers (for keels).

21-04-2009, 09:22
Well Guys

Had my vinyl night last night (no did involve dressing up in rubber gear and gimp masks).

What can I say, but it just gets better and better, I was a little distracted as I had a mate round for a visit. but these Ushers are truly great speakers. They are just showing me greater insights to the music that is being played, I am hearing greater detail in the arrangements, bass lines are deeper and flow better, and guitars are more articulate.

It is not making the sound more Hi-Fi but just presents all the music to you, in a manner that I sure the original artiste would be happy with. But most importantly of all they are just so musical and enjoyable.

Will post some more later when I get some time to try and put something more articulate down on the PC.

Played last night;

· Al Di Meola – Splendido Hotel
· Larry Carlton – Alone / But Never Alone
· Miles David – Tutu
· Joan Armatrading- Self Titled
· AC/DC – If You Want Blood
· Bebop Deluxe – Live in the Air Age
· Robben Ford – Talk To Your Daughter
· Jamiroquai – Emergency On Planet Earth
· Pink Floyd – Wish You Were Here
· Jack Johnson – Sleep Through The Static
· Santana – Shaman

A good night had by me, another one tonight hopefully

Andy - SDDW

Spectral Morn
21-04-2009, 10:20
Well Guys

Had my vinyl night last night (no did involve dressing up in rubber gear and gimp masks).

What can I say, but it just gets better and better, I was a little distracted as I had a mate round for a visit. but these Ushers are truly great speakers. They are just showing me greater insights to the music that is being played, I am hearing greater detail in the arrangements, bass lines are deeper and flow better, and guitars are more articulate.

It is not making the sound more Hi-Fi but just presents all the music to you, in a manner that I sure the original artiste would be happy with. But most importantly of all they are just so musical and enjoyable.

Will post some more later when I get some time to try and put something more articulate down on the PC.

Played last night;

· Al Di Meola – Splendido Hotel
· Larry Carlton – Alone / But Never Alone
· Miles David – Tutu
· Joan Armatrading- Self Titled
· AC/DC – If You Want Blood
· Bebop Deluxe – Live in the Air Age
· Robben Ford – Talk To Your Daughter
· Jamiroquai – Emergency On Planet Earth
· Pink Floyd – Wish You Were Here
· Jack Johnson – Sleep Through The Static
· Santana – Shaman

A good night had by me, another one tonight hopefully

Andy - SDDW

All brilliant albums....great taste in music. Robben Ford Talk to your Daughter is amazing, I don't think he has bettered this album....excellent sound too.

Regards D S D L

John
21-04-2009, 15:29
Agree with Neil some great album choices

21-04-2009, 20:34
I'll post this in the 'Wot you playing now' section. but this is what I been spinnin' tonight. I still haven't found anything these speakers can not cope with.

A sort of description of their sound is they seperate all the various instruments and musicians and then present them back to you as cohesive individual artistes, no bluring or overlapping sounds, but in a fantastically musical manner.

All on vinyl;

Michael Hedges - Watching My Life Go By
Wynton Marsalis - Hot House Flowers
Donald Fagen - The Nightfly
Tony Bennet - Jazz with Herbie Hancock, Ralph Sharon, Chico Hamilton, Herbie Mann, Milt Jackson, Art Blakey, Elvin Jones
George Benson - In Flight
Phoebe Snow - ?
William Ackerman - Passage
Sarah McLachlan - Solace
Good Vibes - Pawn Shop Jazz
Bob James - Ivory Coast
The Yellowjackets - Mirage a Trois
Michael Hedges - Breakfast In The Field
Stephane Grappelli and MArtin Taylor - Reunion
Still grinning :).

Andy - SDDW

Marco
22-04-2009, 07:52
Glad you're lovin' it, Andy - they are great speakers :)

You've got a really good, varied, taste in music too, which is very similar to the sort if stuff I listen to. I can't stand playing the same genre of music all the time. You get some people who listen to the same bloody stuff day in day out (only classical, rock, pop or whatever) - that's total dullsville and would do my head in!

Music is a mood thing for me; therefore it dictates what I listen to at any given moment, so one needs a varied collection to facilitate the mood!! :gig:

Marco.

22-04-2009, 09:14
Hi Marco

I'm still enjoying the Ushers, it must have been after 1am this morning before I got to bed, had great fun :).

Last night was playing the 'Jazz at the Pawnshop – Good Vibes' LP. I think probably one of the most difficult instruments for a speaker to reproduce faithfully is the Vibraphone. On this LP, even when played hard the speakers coped with no anomalies with the ringing bell sound of the Vibraphone, I think a testament to their capabilities.

I agree with you, your mood can dictate what you will tend to listen to, or sometimes I have found I will start off with something quite delicate, acoustic stuff and progress through a bit of vocal to group Jazz and quite often finish with a progression through rock to metal. Just been giving that a bit of thought and I will quite regular end up playing AC/DC or Metalica towards the end of the night.

Have been putting together a sort of review, it's a bit disjointed at the moment but will probably post it today.

Andy - SDDW

MartinT
22-04-2009, 10:11
Andy & Marco

I totally agree about playing the right music for your mood and having a collection that can back it up. Last night I was playing the stupendous Philip Glass Violin Concerto, followed by Jennifer Warnes 20th Anniversary 'Famous Blue Raincoat' CD (wonderful sound), then a little Beverley Craven and finished up playing Beethoven 9th finale and Mahler 8th finale - because I was in the mood!

Needless to say, the Ushers take it all in their stride. I'm rather proud of the fact that I have a system that's universally good, not just good with rock or classical music.

22-04-2009, 10:30
Hi Martin

Think you have summed it up with that statement. I am a proud Usher owner. As daft as it seem, I forgot I also have the Usher 520's for my AV rig sat right next to their big brothers :).

Needless to say, the Ushers take it all in their stride. I'm rather proud of the fact that I have a system that's universally good, not just good with rock or classical music.

22-04-2009, 14:55
I think his original version was on 'The Antidote'.

And there was a great slightly tweaked & reworked version on 'Bad Brothers' by Ronny Jordan and DJ Krush (great album by the way).

The 'Bad Brothers' version has the most groove, so if you can find it, get that album. The original is more straight acid-jazz... you takes your picks!

Hi Nick

Just taken delivery of the Ronny Jordan - Bad Brothers on vinyl. Will be giving it a spin tonight, after a clean that is.

Just missed out on 'The Antidote' on vinyl but I'm sure one will turn up soon.

If you spot one on vinyl let me know :)

Andy - SDDW

Beechwoods
22-04-2009, 17:12
Hope you like it! I might just get my copy out and join you!

John
22-04-2009, 18:25
I tend to believe when you really get into music you ears become more open to different styles I know for me it was learning to play guitar and hearing players in other styles that really started to open my ears

22-04-2009, 18:58
Hi John

During my teenage years I played guitar in a band, made a bit of pocket money out of it too. Bought myself a Strat and most foolishly a Gibson SG, a truely horrid guitar, what was I thinking. I was quite good for my age but got to the point where I needed to put a constant hard effort into improving. Which I didn't do, regret that now though.

I think that is where my focus on guitarists comes from. A classic case of the 'I Wish' syndrome :)

Andy - SDDW

John
22-04-2009, 19:18
Hi John
I think that is where my focus on guitarists comes from. A classic case of the 'I Wish' syndrome :)

Andy - SDDW

Snap!!!

I would of probarly of sold my soul to the devil himself alas never really got there; but there was a time I could do a reaonable copies of a few Django tunes on guitar For some reason just loved playing in that style I think it was the combination of passion and the sensual
I wanted to be a cross between Hendrix meets Django with a metal edge!!!
Ny main problem was having to high expectations and not enough talent:lolsign:

Beechwoods
22-04-2009, 19:27
I wish I could play guitar too. I wish I had a musical bone in my body. Once when I roadied for a band I was asked to stop playing tambourine at a pub gig because my rhythm was so bad... so I live my fantasies through other people's musisc and I've come to accept my failings!

22-04-2009, 19:39
Snap!!!

My main problem was having to high expectations and not enough talent:lolsign:
Guys

That quote about describes me too.

I went from playing guitar to the roadie and behind the mixing desk at gigs for a good few years, only for mates bands, and dabbled a bit with musician mates with home recording stuff. Can never claim to be good at any of it, but was usually asked back to do stuff for them on a regular basis, so maybe not too bad after all.

I miss the fun on occassions, but can't imagine doing it now. You can just see it can't you, me behind a desk at a gig with smoking jacket, slippers and a mug of Horlicks saying;

'it's nearly my bed time now lads, can I go home please' :lol:

Andy - SDDW

Spectral Morn
22-04-2009, 19:51
SNAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP....

Hi guys

I too am a frustrated non-musician. I put bands together 15 years ago or so, and wrote song lyrics. The idea is they would play my songs lyrically anyway.

I could never find any musicians serious enough....oh we just want to drink and get in womens nickers. Fine I would say after you can play and hold a tune together...it never worked out.

The last band before I knocked it on the head was about 9 weeks into practicing we had already fallen out over a singer. I brought a girl who had a great rock voice who was not bad looking, but the bass player brought along a babe who could sing, but only in a studio. Her voice was not strong enough for live work. I suggested both girls that went down like a ton of bricks. Heart were big at the time and it was a melodic rock band so why not ? Any way I left the practice hall and came back sat outside in the car and listened I would have paid to hear two of the songs the rest was crap. A few weeks later it still was no good. It fell apart when two of the guys wanted to play heavier stuff.....it died not long after.

My fantasy instrument would be playing the keyboards and singing (I can do neither...I pity people who have to hear me sing)..oh well to dream :lol:

Regards D S D L

23-04-2009, 10:22
Hi Neil

Had the Ronny Jordan meets DJ Crush LP on last night. You made a good recommendation there, thourghly enjoyed it. The 'So What' track is great. Played the album completely twice.

Will have to source 'The Antidote' on vinyl too.

If anyone has it for sale or knows where I can find one let me know please.

Andy - SDDW

aquapiranha
24-04-2009, 22:40
Nice looking speakers, i bet they sound as good as they look too. nice Almarro also.

25-04-2009, 05:04
Hi Steve

I'm still enjoying these beauties, and just want to play more and more music through them.

They are fairly easy to dive and the Almarro can really get to grips with them, at 125W it should, and can cope with most speakers. They are just as happy being played at low levels as they are at being played at concert hall levels. The neighbours remark about 'Didn't know you were into AC/DC' are a testement to that one

The one thing I will have to try at some point, is the to see how the speakers sound on the different O/P taps on the amp. Will report back when I have tried the different combo's

Andy - SDDW

jandl100
28-04-2009, 06:39
Hi Andy

I'm really pleased that you're now happily settled after your "Martin Logan Nightmare". :) .... luckily, my own ML Experience continues to be a happy one - fingers crossed it continues that way!

The Usher room at the many Shows I have seen and heard them at is always an ocean of musicality, and a welcome respite from a lot of raucous or boring tat that is always shown elsewhere!

High end Ushers are definitely on my To Get list.

Have fun! :smoking:

28-04-2009, 10:43
Jerry

They come (from me anyway) highly recommended. They just play enjoyable music, and you just want more :smoking:.

Andy

MartinT
29-04-2009, 05:02
They come (from me anyway) highly recommended

Seconded. I've never had a pair of speakers that so disappear that I stop thinking about them. They just do their job impressively but without bringing attention to themselves. That is the sign of a great speaker.