PDA

View Full Version : Linkedin - what is it (good) for ?

MikeMusic
20-05-2013, 14:02
to the tune of War - altogether now

Is anyone using Linkedin and getting anything out of it ?
I've either missed the point, the boat or .... what ?

freefallrob
20-05-2013, 14:11
Just getting in to this myself, been on facebook a while (though I don't really use it very often at all) Linkedin seems like a 'professional' version of it.

I've just put my picture up (to scare away folks!), and filled in my name etc, but i've yet to fill out the other stuff and go hunting for heads etc....

MikeMusic
20-05-2013, 14:13
Just getting in to this myself, been on facebook a while (though I don't really use it very often at all) Linkedin seems like a 'professional' version of it.

I've just put my picture up (to scare away folks!), and filled in my name etc, but i've yet to fill out the other stuff and go hunting for heads etc....

It seems like it could be good.........

Clive
20-05-2013, 14:23
I get loads of recruitment people contacting me due to my profile entry on LinkedIn. Some people use it to give themselves a higher profile by posting industry info.

Covenant
20-05-2013, 19:08
It is useful for the group forums. It was very useful to me two weeks ago when a former colleague contacted me regarding a job........

MikeMusic
21-05-2013, 08:49
I get loads of recruitment people contacting me due to my profile entry on LinkedIn. Some people use it to give themselves a higher profile by posting industry info.

Is that good ?
Are you a contractor ?

MikeMusic
21-05-2013, 08:50
It is useful for the group forums. It was very useful to me two weeks ago when a former colleague contacted me regarding a job........

Seems to be working on a personal level then
Anyone using it in business / for their company ?

MartinT
21-05-2013, 08:58
LinkedIn is good for keeping in contact with work colleagues. Some of the groups are useful and we are just setting up the company page to be more useful to us. I've been on it for a while now and I like it for finding and keeping in touch with old colleagues and it's also a useful resource for people who get things done that you might have used before.

Clive
21-05-2013, 09:17
Seems to be working on a personal level then
Anyone using it in business / for their company ?
I use LinkedIn if we are hiring.

I use LinkedIn for researching the background of people I will be meeting.

As for being a contractor, no I am not a contractor. I use LinkedIn to maintain a network of recruiters should I need them. I prefer to keep my CV reasonably up to date and I find it useful to have at least one serious job move discussion per year. There might be something I want to move to but mostly this simply helps keep me current about what's happening in my area of the job market. For this to work you need to have your profile setup in a way that catches the recruiters eyes.

walpurgis
21-05-2013, 09:21
Fairly sure I used to be on there via the business I was in, I know some of my former colleagues are. Retired now, so it doesn't matter!

MikeMusic
21-05-2013, 09:25
LinkedIn is good for keeping in contact with work colleagues. Some of the groups are useful and we are just setting up the company page to be more useful to us. I've been on it for a while now and I like it for finding and keeping in touch with old colleagues and it's also a useful resource for people who get things done that you might have used before.
How is it better than say email ?

MikeMusic
21-05-2013, 09:28
I use LindedIn if we are hiring.

I use LinkedIn for researching the background of people I will be meeting.

As for being a contractor, no I am not a contractor. I use LinkedIn to maintain a network of recruiters should I need them. I prefer to keep my CV reasonably up to date and I find it useful to have at least one serious job move discussion per year. There might be something I want to move to but mostly this simply helps keep me current about what's happening in my area of the job market. For this to work you need to have your profile setup in a way that catches the recruiters eyes.
Thanks
I have one guy trying to persuade me that he can put me direct in touch with Linkedin groups in the Pharma industry who we do a lot of work with.
They sign up to the group but I'm apprehensive as I could be seen as spamming

MartinT
21-05-2013, 09:57
How is it better than say email ?

What if you don't have their e-mail address or they moved companies? LinkedIn sends you updates whenever a Connection makes an amendment, or you can just look them up and send a message directly. You can also find people from vague clues like a first name and the company and then add them to your Connections.

MikeMusic
21-05-2013, 10:33
What if you don't have their e-mail address or they moved companies? LinkedIn sends you updates whenever a Connection makes an amendment, or you can just look them up and send a message directly. You can also find people from vague clues like a first name and the company and then add them to your Connections.

Ah. Longer term that would be good, maybe essential.
I've had people I've never heard of wanting to connect with me. I checked their profile just in case. No idea who they are.
There are others who want to connect who would appear to want to sell me something
Is this because Linkedin is relatively new thing developing with growing pains and/or adjusting itself as it grows ?

Markiii
21-05-2013, 10:38
its (theoretically) good for changing jobs, and finding contacts in companies that you need

but as its mainly one big cv 99% of what people put on their profile is bullshit

Clive
21-05-2013, 10:39
Ah. Longer term that would be good, maybe essential.
I've had people I've never heard of wanting to connect with me. I checked their profile just in case. No idea who they are.
There are others who want to connect who would appear to want to sell me something
Is this because Linkedin is relatively new thing developing with growing pains and/or adjusting itself as it grows ?
LinkedIn is not new, it was launched 10 years ago! I was on it before I was on Facebook and I use it more than Facebook.

Clive
21-05-2013, 10:54
its (theoretically) good for changing jobs, and finding contacts in companies that you need

but as its mainly one big cv 99% of what people put on their profile is bullshit
I can't speak for others but 99% being bs might be extreme. It's not like people in your company can't see your profile. I certainly don't lie and if I did with my employer's name against it I could be disciplined, we have very strong policies about how we publicly represent our company.

MartinT
21-05-2013, 11:28
Yes Clive, me too. In fact if we spot a piece of bullshit from a current colleague we find ways of highlighting it and getting it amended ;)

MikeMusic
21-05-2013, 11:35

I suppose I should think of the marketing aspects like 'change management' and other but "running printing company for 34 years" is about it
:)

the ability to type seems to be beyond me though !

MikeMusic
21-05-2013, 11:45
LinkedIn is not new, it was launched 10 years ago! I was on it before I was on Facebook and I use it more than Facebook.

I've been on it a few years
Seems as if it may be more useful than before
I'm on Facebook and Twitter but haven't been in there for months as I cannot see what good either of them are to me. Time thieves no doubt

MikeMusic
21-05-2013, 11:46
Yes Clive, me too. In fact if we spot a piece of bullshit from a current colleague we find ways of highlighting it and getting it amended ;)

I'd have me to answer to

Markiii
21-05-2013, 16:54
depends on what you define as bullshit

the job title, true, the company, true the times, true

the description of what they did and what skills they have, that's where it gets entertaining, likewise it becomes a mutual endorsement club of people that make each other look good when none of them are

its great for networking and getting introductions but thats about it

MikeMusic
22-05-2013, 07:00

the description of what they did and what skills they have, that's where it gets entertaining, likewise it becomes a mutual endorsement club of people that make each other look good when none of them are

I'm talking to a customer/friend in the US who uses it a lot
Top 5% of traffic
Hope to get more info soon

Clive
22-05-2013, 07:38

I agree that the latest endorsement suggestions you are given encourage people to spray them around. LinkedIn is as you say great for networking and introductions, that's my main expectation of it and has been since it was launched. I wouldn't hire someone purely on any written evidence. CVs are even less reliable as they are more confidential.

Alex_UK
22-05-2013, 21:54
likewise it becomes a mutual endorsement club of people that make each other look good when none of them are

Not sure I would agree with this personally - I have given lots of endorsements/recommendations to people who deserve them, but refrain if they don't - I might be in a rather unique position, I'd accept - but I'm not so sure...

As to what I get out of it - not much, if I'm honest - as an "early adopter" who has been on a while, and a member of several groups, and whilst not seeking attention of recruiters I get plenty of it! That said, it is good to keep in touch with ex-colleagues and suppliers, so I'm fairly agnostic about it. A bit like Facebook, I think some people see the number of "Connections" as a trophy and something to brag about, but I doubt many people are really that impressed! ;)

MartinT
22-05-2013, 22:47
I also strictly endorse only those skills I know the person to have.

Markiii
22-05-2013, 22:51
Me too but not convinced its the norm

MartinT
22-05-2013, 23:10
It isn't - someone endorsed me the other day for Microsoft Exchange, a product I know well. Nothing wrong with that, then? Only that she could have no clue whatsoever whether I have that skill or not.

UV101
23-05-2013, 06:05
It was an excellent tool for professionals, its now trying to be Facebook and loosing its credibility.

The endorse thing is a joke

MikeMusic
23-05-2013, 07:31
It isn't - someone endorsed me the other day for Microsoft Exchange, a product I know well. Nothing wrong with that, then? Only that she could have no clue whatsoever whether I have that skill or not.

I was just endorsed (by someone we both know) for "variable data printing"
That's an odd one as we do variable data - but how did he know ?
I'll have to ask him
Made me realise there are many things I could put down quite legitimately that hadn't even crossed my mind before now

Mark Grant
23-05-2013, 08:34
Thanks
I have one guy trying to persuade me that he can put me direct in touch with Linkedin groups in the Pharma industry who we do a lot of work with.
They sign up to the group but I'm apprehensive as I could be seen as spamming

It would be a bit spammy to pay someone to spam for you :)

I dont see the point in anything spammy if you have a reputable business.
OK for short term business if you are going to sell lots of crap then disappear but not good for the long term, ( in my opinion)

MikeMusic
23-05-2013, 08:38
It would be a bit spammy to pay someone to spam for you :)

I dont see the point in anything spammy if you have a reputable business.
OK for short term business if you are going to sell lots of crap then disappear but not good for the long term, ( in my opinion)
Thanks
He holds the list and I get to use it to send one email to each.
We usually hang onto customers once they have found us so hopefully wouldn't need to do it much !

Effem
23-05-2013, 11:42
Far too many poseurs and willy wavers on there to be honest :mental:

And as for any recruitment agencies contacting me for business, I have a "special" reply ready prepared for them.

MikeMusic
23-05-2013, 12:08
Far too many poseurs and willy wavers on there to be honest :mental:

Like mobile phone users in the 80s

Macca
23-05-2013, 17:33
It was an excellent tool for professionals, its now trying to be Facebook and loosing its credibility.

The endorse thing is a joke

I very much agree. It was actually getting to the point of being very credible before they introduced that. there is a lot of business being transacted through that site, they are in danger of blowing it in an effort to catch Facebook and it's 2 billion or whatever users. A lot of people joined (including me) because it was NOT Facebook or anything similar, but a very useful business tool.