PDA

View Full Version : Stanton 680E Cartridge ?

Audio Al
20-05-2013, 06:20
Stanton 680E Cartridge , anyone have or has had one are they any good ? :)
cheers

Rare Bird
20-05-2013, 07:05
Um dunno I've got a '681'

DSJR
20-05-2013, 12:02
I can't remember - damn - but there was an identical but "un-calibrated" version of the 681EEE. I'm not sure if it's this one or the "EE" version...

The treble on the EEE models is smooth and slightly restrained to me. It's all there, but not projected out as in many modern cartridges. Bass is tuneful but possibly ever-so-slightly-soft perhaps? Midrange is lovely!

The Pickering XV15/625 is possibly one of the most endearing US made cartridges (apologies, but I really can't remember the exaqct Stanton equivalent - you'll have to look it up on VE I think, as shall I!). 1.8g tracking and a great all-round but again slightly restrained performance. This latter one works in all manner of tonearms. There's a very punchy "DJ" version of this one as well, which is perfect for old Lenco GL70's with tank-like headshell or Garrard A70's, 4HF's and so on, which need a quality 3 - 4g tracker to work at their best...

Hope this sort-of helps...

P.S. Just looked on VE and the current 680E V3 is a 2 - 5g tracker... previous models may not have been - so long ago now - damn my memory!!!!!!!

OneyedK
20-05-2013, 12:30
Stanton 680E Cartridge , anyone have or has had one are they any good ? :)
I'm still using the 681SE (same body, calibrated 680) with a NOS SE (low compliance) needle.

Problem with most Stantons are the bad styli of today.
IF you find a good/great stylus, the cart sounds great, tight bass, smooth high definition low mid, neutral high mid and slightly rolling off highs.
Channel separation is very good, I like the sound imaging of the cart too.
680 = 681 = Pickering XV15
Some people had great results with a Pickering NOS stylus on a 681 body.

All in all a great cartridge, often used by European FM broadcasters, but finding a good (non sibliant) stylus can be a PITA.

Rare Bird
20-05-2013, 12:34
Now ive sorted the slight hum out (Which was nothing to do with the cartridge) im very happy with the '681'..

DSJR
20-05-2013, 15:26
Back in the day, I "selected" the EEE styli that tracked at 1g. In fact, they ALL (of this model) seemed to prefer 1.2g or so for secure tracking of all but the most testing records, which would tax a Shure V15 on occasion...

If you're not sure what stylus to use and you have a 680 body, I'd just buy a Pickering XV15/625 stylus for it (same body, different colour I believe) and use this at 1.8g...

Audio Al
20-05-2013, 15:29
Ok

Thanks for the advice :)