PDA

View Full Version : headphone amp???

The Vinyl Adventure
16-04-2009, 23:34
im looking for a headphone amp for my main hifi
i use a beresford 7520 as a dac upstairs and i am aware of what people say about its qualitys as a headphone amp although i dont know my self as it seems i have broken the volume pot :doh:
its other advantage is the posibilitys of improvment in sound from my digi tuner and any multi media player i might chose to add to my system in the future
it is not the perfect solution for me though as it has only digi inputs and as such will not be able to use it with my record player and will have to take a digital out from the linn ds

second on my list and the more conventional option is the nva ap10p

can anyone else suggest anything in the £100-£250 range

John
17-04-2009, 04:44
Contact Stan I am sure he help with the volume pot I would first try the 7520 before you think of other heaphone amps According to Stan the AKG 701 works really well with it and that is a great pair of cans

The Vinyl Adventure
18-04-2009, 14:07
i agree the 7520 is prob a great option but that doesnt help my desire to waste time mooching the internet for info on products i wont end up buying

Krisbee
18-04-2009, 14:28
You haven't said what headphones you are using (or did I miss that?)

The usual suspects are:

Project Headbox SEII @ £179.99 inc vat
Creek OB21SE @ £250 inc vat (can be had for less)
Graham Slee Novo @ £200 + VAT

I've not heard any of them, but I'd start with the Graham Slee Novo.

There's a Meier Corda Arietta headphone amplifier on Ebay right now. The owner is selling because "I now have a DAC with an excellent built-in headphone amp". I wonder that DAC could be?

Hasn't Mr.B. said he is going to produce a standalone headphone amp?

The Vinyl Adventure
18-04-2009, 15:17
grado sr125...

has he indeed... he is a busy (mr.) B

that graham slee looks interesting. i can never find anywhere to demo this stuff?...

StanleyB
18-04-2009, 16:43
that graham slee looks interesting. i can never find anywhere to demo this stuff?...
There is someone on AoS who has a GS and tested it against the TC-7520/NE5532 combination. I recall that it was too close to call. I wonder if a
retest of TC-7520/THS4032 would change the situation. Might be worth asking on the forum.

Krisbee
18-04-2009, 17:03
Hamish,

I completely forgot that about Musical Fidelity X-can v2/3 headphone amps. Lots of info about these with various tweaks/upgrades at the "rock grotto" website.

Other headphone amps that interested were "Little Dot 3" ( a tube amp) and "Little Dot Mk V" (solod state). But these would have be imported.

Ali Tait
18-04-2009, 17:19
Was going to mention the Little Dot.Not heard one myself but read good things about it.Can be found on ebay,along with several other headamps.

The Vinyl Adventure
18-04-2009, 19:10
There is someone on AoS who has a GS and tested it against the TC-7520/NE5532 combination. I recall that it was too close to call. I wonder if a
retest of TC-7520/THS4032 would change the situation. Might be worth asking on the forum.

noted