PDA

View Full Version : Apologies for the downtime!

Marco
16-05-2013, 12:02
Hi folks,

Please accept our apologies for the recent downtime, which was due to technical faults, out with of our control, in relation with our forum hosts, Global Gold.

What's basically been happening is that we're soon going to be upgrading the forum software to the latest version of vB4 (from vBulletin), for a number of reasons (improvements and refinements to the existing system for our members), but essentially because our current software, vBulletin 3.8.7, is not properly supported by the system used by Global Gold, who provide the hosting for the forum, and so when automatic updates to our database were being applied, it was causing the database to crash and produce errors (the reason for the previous downtime of some 50 hours+, until we got it fixed). Therefore, we need to upgrade to vB4, as a matter of urgency, in order that the (essential) automatic updates can continue as normal.

However, before we do so, we're running a test site, on vB4 (viewable only to mods and admin), in conjunction with the current main site, in order that we can customise the vB4 template to our requirements, namely in terms of its aesthetics (and some other elements in relation to functionality), as the stock vB4 forum template is dreadful and totally 'soulless', especially for AoS. Being the ART of sound, we insist that the look of the forum has an 'arty' feel to it, including our banner, etc, which complies with our established visual image and colour scheme.

If anyone wants to see how drab the stock vB4 template looks (apart from some light tweaking and the instalment of their banner), take a look at Wigwam..... (Sorry Wammers, but IMO, the layout of your site and aesthetics, governed by the stock VB4 template, is dreadful). Anyway, once we're happy with the layout and iron out some minor technicalities, on the test site, the new site will go live. We expect this to happen within the next week.

However, what we didn't realise (and indeed at the time were not informed by Global Gold) is that effectively running two sites at once on the server would use up all of our allocated bandwidth and cause the site to crash, which is exactly what happened and why the forum has been down since Tuesday evening (along with more than a little ineptitude from GG, in terms of resolving the matter quickly)! We've now increased our available bandwidth to cope with running the test site, alongside the main site, so that system crashes will not occur.

We've now also taken steps to ensure that in future, the forum, in the event of a problem (barring a major general outage), should not go down for long periods of time, by upgrading the package of support we receive from GG to 'fully managed'. This basically means that, in the event of a problem, we've now been promised to have someone specifically assigned to dealing with our ticket, and to receive a reply from the GG technical department within an hour, 24/7. That was not the case before, as when report tickets were being raised, we were sometimes having to wait 7 hours (or more) until matters were being looked into (essentially until GG had cleared their backlog of tickets raised by 'priority customers', of which we are now one), especially if problems occurred outside of normal working hours (Mon-Fri 9am-5.30pm).

Anyway, basically everything is now sorted! :)

Once again, please accept our apologies for the recent spates of downtime, which were totally unacceptable and also very frustrating for all of us. However, once the vB4 template has been customised to our satisfaction, and the new site goes live, we can promise you a much improved user experience on AoS, as the forum will have an enhanced, more professional look, together with some very useful added functions.

We'll let you all know well in advance when the new site is going live. Cheers! :cool:

Marco.

Tarzan
16-05-2013, 12:07
No probs Marco , just glad you are back!:):cool:

Gordon Steadman
16-05-2013, 12:23
Its good that you are back as it means having to look elsewhere for non musical audio entertainment.

As you say, Wam is a bit daunting and unattractive. I have visited those nice people at Subjective (if I'm allowed to mention the place) but found there was rather more going on about certain other forums than talk about hi-fi and music.

It all seems so unnecessary. We all understand the realities of this world and suspect some folk would like to live in a little cocoon somewhere protected from real life. I expect the injection of some kind of commercial interest (things need paying for) and I'm sure most of us can see the wood for the trees without having a chunk shoved down our throats.:scratch:

Anyway, welcome back.

Gordon Steadman
16-05-2013, 12:24
PS to last post, I keep getting told I can't post on this server. Try again and it lets me in:scratch:

AlanS
16-05-2013, 12:36
I awoke to a system that I wrote not working this AM. Thankfully the server support guys were great and ID'd the problem on their box and it was working in the hour.

Good support is invaluable especially when you need it.

My sympathies were with you. Good to have the forum back.

Marco
16-05-2013, 15:53
I have visited those nice people at Subjective (if I'm allowed to mention the place) but found there was rather more going on about certain other forums than talk about hi-fi and music.

:exactly:

An astute observation, Gordon.

Anyway, welcome back.

Cheers. It's good to be missed...! ;)

Marco.

Beechwoods
16-05-2013, 16:29
PS to last post, I keep getting told I can't post on this server. Try again and it lets me in:scratch:

There was a repair tables maintenance job running immediately after we came back which probably caused some intermittent issues while it was underway. Hope all is good now.

Fi-Wi
16-05-2013, 16:37
It made my dark day even darker, welcome back. :eyebrows:

istari_knight
16-05-2013, 16:44
You da man Nick :youtheman:

Gordon Steadman
16-05-2013, 16:54
Wow,

Sorry to disappoint you all here but I'm an idiot. My welcome back message has been quoted in full by those nice people over at Subjective and I have been called an idiot for being ripped off. By whom, I am not sure as all I ever get from here is chat, opinions and advice. All of which I am quite capable of sifting as with everything else in life.

I think you should be proud of the fact that there are more posts (and 211 pages of unnecessary comments) about this site than there are about what we are all here for - music and hi-fi.

You are under observation 24 hours a day apparently. What a sad way to spend your time but it obviously keeps some people amused. Presumably disappointed with the way its all turned out but surely they must have something better to do with their time.

synsei
16-05-2013, 17:05
HiFi Subjectivist was born out of Richard Dunn's inability to control himself on various hifi forums. He has managed to get himself banned from just about all of them so he created his forum as a vehicle to insult people and the industry as a whole.

walpurgis
16-05-2013, 18:56
I'm not going to bother looking at 'the other place'.

I've seen strange ramblings there previously. It has been odd to say the least, almost paranoid with a bit of psycopathy thrown in.

Gordon Steadman
16-05-2013, 19:08
I'm not going to bother looking at 'the other place'.

I've seen strange ramblings there previously. It has been odd to say the least, almost paranoid with a bit of psycopathy thrown in.

It was only desperation that led me there in the first place. AOS must manage to keep up!!

pjdowns
16-05-2013, 22:00
It was only desperation that led me there in the first place. AOS must manage to keep up!!

I am not going anywhere guys, love this place. IMHO it is easily the best HiFi forum by quite some margin.

Glad it's back up and running :)

P.

wiicrackpot
16-05-2013, 22:26
Marco,

Can i be cheeky to suggest to you and team do something about the theme and colour scheme of the heading?,
i have never been a fan of the colour and the wording ''the art of sound'' lack impact/definition, it's too wishey washey colour wise and dated looking,
it's only my view of course but since you mentioned in your opening post that you are playing about with it in the background, i'd get my suggestion in,
if i am talking shite, just tell me so but don't give me a silent ''Fuck Off'' and don't answer my future posts. :D

southall-1998
16-05-2013, 22:28
Marco,

Can i be cheeky to suggest to you and team do something about the theme and colour scheme of the heading?,
i have never been a fan of the colour and the wording ''the art of sound'' lack impact/definition, it's too wishey washey colour wise and dated looking,
it's only my view of course but since you mentioned in your opening post that you are playing about with it in the background, i'd get my suggestion in,
if i am talking shite, just tell me so but don't give me a silent ''Fuck Off'' and don't answer my future posts. :D

Cheek:D

wiicrackpot
16-05-2013, 22:51
Cheek:D
Takes all kinds in here and......... i am very unconventional, :eyebrows:
are you swimming against the tide with me on this Shane ?. :D

twickers
16-05-2013, 23:03
Takes all kinds in here and......... i am very unconventional, :eyebrows:
are you swimming against the tide with me on this Shane ?. :D

Sounds like a rebellion. Are you recruiting?

wiicrackpot
16-05-2013, 23:11
Sounds like a rebellion. Are you recruiting?
No..there's too much love round here, just needed some go faster stripes on the banner to jazz things up. :D

The Grand Wazoo
16-05-2013, 23:29
Go faster stripes?
Like this?

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/686/gofasteraos.jpg

wiicrackpot
17-05-2013, 00:12
Sort of Chris, one i like is the Audiokarma banner.

Andrei
17-05-2013, 01:37
Oh I see, and I thought the site was down because there were too many Cable threads.

Anti Meep
17-05-2013, 06:18
Wow,

Sorry to disappoint you all here but I'm an idiot. My welcome back message has been quoted in full by those nice people over at Subjective and I have been called an idiot for being ripped off. By whom, I am not sure as all I ever get from here is chat, opinions and advice. All of which I am quite capable of sifting as with everything else in life.

I think you should be proud of the fact that there are more posts (and 211 pages of unnecessary comments) about this site than there are about what we are all here for - music and hi-fi.

You are under observation 24 hours a day apparently. What a sad way to spend your time but it obviously keeps some people amused. Presumably disappointed
with the way its all turned out but surely they must have something better to do with their time.

Plus one here.:) had a brief look there and thought I'd ban myself before joining:lol:
This is a Perdy cool forum. Quite relaxed and friendly. Long may it last. Thanks to all who contribute.:cool:
Craig.

The Grand Wazoo
17-05-2013, 06:24
How about some flames...........ooh and maybe some furry dice,too!

MikeMusic
17-05-2013, 06:45
Thanks Marco

Computers and software -
:rolleyes:

MikeMusic
17-05-2013, 06:49
Go faster stripes?
Like this?

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/686/gofasteraos.jpg

Help !

WOStantonCS100
17-05-2013, 06:55

:eek: Egads, please, no. If this forum starts looking towards Audiokarma for ways to improve... it is doomed. Might as well throw in the towel, now. Yes, I know. You were only talking about the banner; but, I couldn't stand to be reminded of that forum every time I came here.

Marco
17-05-2013, 07:25
Agreed, lol... It's so interesting how our tastes differ! :eek:

Andy, your point about the banner is noted, and it is indeed due for a revamp, but mainly with a view to updating the images inside, as the kit shown has been changed by its owners, since the pics were originally provided.

However, that work has not been scheduled to happen yet. It's more likely to happen towards the end of the year, as the Christmas banner is due for a change, so we'll likely do both at the same time.

We *may* look at altering the font on the main banner, and that's about it (along with the image changes) but any alterations made will not be done to emulate the look of any other forum. We don't copy anyone else on AoS - we will always seek to be different and stand out from the crowd!

Marco.

YNWaN
17-05-2013, 07:42

To be honest, I'm not very keen on the colour scheme either and really don't like the banner at all. However, I doubt that anyone but the most superficial choose to use a forum for either of those reasons.

Marco
17-05-2013, 08:01
Out of interest, Mark, what would be your suggestion for an appropriate banner, given that you obviously have a flair for design, and I would like to think, since the length of time you've been here, a good inkling of what AoS is about and therefore what design would be sympathetic to our requirements?

There's no reason why, if you wanted, you couldn't work with Nick on the design of a new banner. We're always looking for constructive feedback from our members and to take their ideas on board if they are any good! :)

Marco.

wiicrackpot
17-05-2013, 08:25
How about some flames...........ooh and maybe some furry dice,too!
Yes chris, one says 'Marco' and the other 'gang love'. :sofa:

Help !
Dial NHS24 for Help!!, :D take it you're happy the way it is then Mike. :)

:eek: Egads, please, no. If this forum starts looking towards Audiokarma for ways to improve... it is doomed. Might as well throw in the towel, now. Yes, I know. You were only talking about the banner; but, I couldn't stand to be reminded of that forum every time I came here.
I am not a member there but the times i have researched for hifi related info, it seems to get thrown up by Google search engine a lot and i quite like the colour scheme, certainly easier on the eye i thought.

Andy, your point about the banner is noted, and it is indeed due for a revamp, but mainly with a view to updating the images inside, as the kit shown has been changed by its owners, since the pics were originally provided.

However, that work has not been scheduled to happen yet. It's more likely to happen towards the end of the year, as the Christmas banner is due for a change, so we'll likely do both at the same time.

We *may* look at altering the font on the main banner, and that's about it (along with the image changes) but any alterations made will not be done to emulate the look of any other forum. We don't copy anyone else on AoS - we will always seek to be different and stand out from the crowd!

Marco.
Just thought i'd throw that in while you, Nick and team are sorting out the new server, kill 2 birds with the one stone. :)
i am not for a minute advocating Andy Warhol kinda a transformation, a subtle 'arty' change would be nice, after all we are the ART of sound,
oh..while we're at it take that eye sore Dyna arm from the pics. :vomfest:

To be honest, I'm not very keen on the colour scheme either and really don't like the banner at all. However, I doubt that anyone but the most superficial choose to use a forum for either of those reasons.
Mark, glad you agree about the colour scheme. ;)

YNWaN
17-05-2013, 08:50
Andy, I feel I should add that the 'superficial' comment was not aimed at you (or anyone in particular) - I just meant that it is a side issue in terms of forum use/demographic etc (in my opinion).

wiicrackpot
17-05-2013, 08:58
No sweat Mark, i got what you meant right away. :)

On a side note, i think Marco's suggestion of input from you is a wise move, you obviously have an eye for detail,
i think your Audioflat logo on your signature is smart.....like your TT. :cool:

Gordon Steadman
17-05-2013, 09:06
Not much wrong with it as it is I reckon. I like the images but a change of colour and font would make a difference. Script fonts just don't do it for display. Nor do serifs really but it shows the difference in look.

MikeMusic
17-05-2013, 09:08
Dial NHS24 for Help!!, :D take it you're happy the way it is then Mike. :)

I like cream as the background.
The red go take a step back in shade and be lighter I think although a dark red could be just right

Think the AoS header needs to be clearer, "Art of Sound" in white space at the very top, pics less square. Maybe more 'interesting' pics, but of what ?!

wiicrackpot
17-05-2013, 09:15
Not much wrong with it as it is I reckon. I like the images but a change of colour and font would make a difference. Script fonts just don't do it for display. Nor do serifs really but it shows the difference in look.
Your thumbnail is a improvement already. :)

I like cream as the background.
The red go take a step back in shade and be lighter I think although a dark red could be just right

Think the AoS header needs to be clearer, "Art of Sound" in white space at the very top, pics less square. Maybe more 'interesting' pics, but of what ?!
Exactly what i am getting at, can the pics not be made into a slide show from pics in the Gallery?, would that eat up too much of allocated space?.

Marco
17-05-2013, 09:17
Andy, I feel I should add that the 'superficial' comment was not aimed at you (or anyone in particular) - I just meant that it is a side issue in terms of forum use/demographic etc (in my opinion).

Any views on my suggestion, Mark? :)

Marco.

walpurgis
17-05-2013, 09:29
I rather like the appearance of AOS, it is comfortable and not garish. It has something of the feel of an old country house living room fireside or traditional pub saloon bar.

Alternative 'skins' I suppose could be offered, to brighten up the lives of those who seek something more vivid.

As for the banner, it works for me, but so may something else.

Marco
17-05-2013, 09:29
Your thumbnail is a improvement already. :)

Lol, in your opinion maybe!

I understand where Gordon's coming from, but I dislike the green. One of the reasons why burgundy and cream/mustard were chosen (along with the fact that no other audio site we knew of used those colours) was that they are rich, 'warm', 'friendly and inviting' colours, and so were easy on the eye. Green, and especially blue, don't do that, and contribute towards a stark and cold looking aesthetic, precisely the opposite of what we want.

I hate that soulless 'corporate/IT' look with a vengeance, which is why I detest the stock vB4 template! :spew:

The font, I agree, could be worked on (although I don't like anything that looks too 'square'), as could the overall design of the banner and its content, but the current colour scheme will be staying put.

Exactly what i am getting at, can the pics not be made into a slide show?, would that eat up too much of allocated space?.

Great idea, and one which I'm sure could be implemented. The problem, however, is that it's Nick who would be putting into fruition all these wonderful ideas, and he's got more than enough to do as it is! ;)

Marco.

wiicrackpot
17-05-2013, 09:39
I rather like the appearance of AOS, it is comfortable and not garish. It has something of the feel of an old country house living room fireside or traditional pub saloon bar.
Yes, to a Tannoy user maybe. :D

Lol, in your opinion maybe!

The font, I agree, could be worked on (although I don't like anything that looks too 'square'), as could the overall design of the banner, but the overall colour scheme will be staying put.

Great idea, and one which I'm sure could be implemented. The problem, however, is that it's Nick who would be putting into fruition all these wonderful ideas, and he's got more than enough to do as it is! ;)

Marco.
1 ~ Of course. :D

2 ~ thats worrying, my opinion again. :lol:

3 ~ Yeah, if it can be accomplished, i've altered my last post to say the slide show would be made up of poster's system in the Gallery,
there's some crackers there. :cool:

I'll pop out this room now so others can chip in, feel i am hogging the thread.

Marco
17-05-2013, 09:45

Alternative 'skins' I suppose could be offered, to brighten up the lives of those who seek something more vivid.

As for the banner, it works for me, but so may something else.

Whilst we don't wish to appear as stuffy old luddites, the 'cosy feel' you infer is entirely intentional and a core part of AoS.

Marco.

YNWaN
17-05-2013, 09:46
Sorry Marco, do you mean this?

Marco.

Well, as you say, it's all a personal taste thing; none of it is really 'for me' - but I realise the chosen font and colour scheme was a definite choice you made and that's fair enough. I don't, as such, have an issue with the collage banner idea either - but it's a rather clumsy (aesthetically speaking) construction for me - clashing shapes, colours and simplistic tile format.

If you like, I will try an alternative (it may well not be any better though)? - the more choice you have the more informed your decision process will be.

Marco
17-05-2013, 09:48
No, Mark, I meant this:

Out of interest, Mark, what would be your suggestion for an appropriate banner, given that you obviously have a flair for design, and I would like to think, since the length of time you've been here, a good inkling of what AoS is about and therefore what design would be sympathetic to our requirements?

There's no reason why, if you wanted, you couldn't work with Nick on the design of a new banner. We're always looking for constructive feedback from our members and to take their ideas on board if they are any good!

Constructive (and especially skilled) input is always very welcome :)

Marco.

YNWaN
17-05-2013, 10:05
Oh sorry, I hadn't even seen that (not sure how)!

Presumably you want to retain the colour scheme and font (or similar) though?

The whole 'cosy pub' imagery isn't really my thing though so I may be less use than you may think.

Gordon Steadman
17-05-2013, 10:06
Gawd,

Cosy he wants. Here's me with my all white minimalist plans for the lounge. The red cheeks on the Quads will look great. Still, I'm only 66, I suppose when I'm older I will settle for the pipe and slippers:lol::ner:

Marco
17-05-2013, 10:21
Gawd,

Cosy he wants. Here's me with my all white minimalist plans for the lounge. The red cheeks on the Quads will look great. Still, I'm only 66, I suppose when I'm older I will settle for the pipe and slippers...

Lol - the top one is quite good, but it needs the same colour shading implemented, as per the current font... I dislike emboldened text, as it looks 'shouty'. Keep up the good work! ;)

Marco.

Marco
17-05-2013, 10:23
Oh sorry, I hadn't even seen that (not sure how)!

Presumably you want to retain the colour scheme and font (or similar) though?

The whole 'cosy pub' imagery isn't really my thing though so I may be less use than you may think.

Your suggestions would be welcome. It's not so much about the 'cosy pub' thing, but rather something that looks rich, classy, easy on the eye, and the complete opposite of cold and stark.

Easy-peasy for a man of your calibre! :D

Marco.

JazzBones
17-05-2013, 10:23
No, Mark, I meant this:

Constructive (and especially skilled) input is always very welcome :)

Marco.

Well in that case howza about a cartoon (love 'em) of a chubby little fellow in a ninja outfit beating himself up over The Aos? :eyebrows:

Marco
17-05-2013, 10:26
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Fookin' hilarious!!!

Feel free to post some suggestions :D

Marco.

freefallrob
17-05-2013, 10:30
Nice to see your back up and running guys, there was me thinking I'd been banned or something:D

Alex_UK
17-05-2013, 10:40
I must admit, when I first came here I hated the colours (sorry Marco... ;)) - but I think "cosy" is the right word, and I do think it conveys that.

Fonts are a very personal thing - as is embolding, capitals and italics - I quite liked a couple of Gordon's suggestions but I wouldn't go all capitals personally. Thanks for the suggestions though! :)

Marco
17-05-2013, 11:40
Lol... No worries, Alex. As they say, it's impossible to please all of the people all of the time! The main thing is that what we created in the early days (and here I would refer to Rob (Filterlab) and me, and to an extent, Steve Toy), visually, works.

'Cosy' I will always settle for, over stark and clinical. It also proves that, in some ways, substance has triumphed over style! ;)

Marco.

YNWaN
17-05-2013, 11:48
cold and stark.

But I feel at home with cold and stark...

(I'll have a go this weekend if I have some free time)

Marco
17-05-2013, 11:51
Well, your house isn't cold and stark... ;)

Marco.

Gordon Steadman
17-05-2013, 11:57
I like the bottom font in my last grab best..........its called 'cracked':lol:

Marco
17-05-2013, 11:57
Too 'chavvy', I'm afraid! We value elegance and class on AoS, except for Alex's taste in curtains! :D

Marco.

Gordon Steadman
17-05-2013, 12:08
Your wish is my command my Lord.

Marco
17-05-2013, 14:54
Lol, God loves a trier!! :eyebrows:

Marco.

Gordon Steadman
17-05-2013, 16:58
Lol, God loves a trier!! :eyebrows:

Marco.

You have no idea how trying I can be:mental:

YNWaN
17-05-2013, 20:07
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/markemark_2006/AoSbanner1_zps9c42ff0a.jpg

synsei
17-05-2013, 20:12
That's cool H. How about tweaking it with a nod towards the current colour scheme in regards to the text and musical staves ;)

YNWaN
17-05-2013, 20:14
I'm quite pleased with the above as a start -I want to do the AoS letterig as an aged reflective gold look and work on the border, increase the res and possibly add some icons to imply chat, info, CD, LP, download.

YNWaN
17-05-2013, 20:19
That's cool H. How about tweaking it with a nod towards the current colour scheme in regards to the text and musical staves ;)

To be honest, I would want to tweak the current colour tones to match the banner better, more subtle and less vivid - still mustard and red, but more subdued, although not overtly refereed to in the banner the colours would support what was there,

Marco
18-05-2013, 04:13
Hi Mark,

I would agree - it's a good effort, though! There are elements about your design that I really like. It would be good to see in practice what Dave has suggested.

However, I should add that I'm pretty sold on the idea of having snapshots of equipment, owned by members, featured in the banner. The slideshow idea, mentioned earlier by Andy, in due course, is likely the way we will go :)

Marco.

Audio Al
18-05-2013, 05:47
Hi Mark,

I would agree - it's a good effort, though! There are elements about your design that I really like. It would be good to see in practice what Dave has suggested.

However, I should add that I'm pretty sold on the idea of having snapshots of equipment, owned by members, featured in the banner. The slideshow idea, mentioned earlier by Andy, in due course, is likely the way we will go :)

Marco.

I cant see any " Pishanto or Tat " mentioned :scratch:

:D

YNWaN
18-05-2013, 09:22
It would be good to see in practice what Dave has suggested.

I may have a go at implementing them - adding colours often confuses things though.

I'm pretty sold on the idea of having snapshots of equipment, owned by members, featured in the banner. The slideshow idea, mentioned earlier by Andy, in due course, is likely the way we will go :)

Obviously it is up to you, but I'm not keen on a slide-show banner:

1/ difficult to create any coherence - can easily look messy and a bit naff.
2/ uses up bandwidth - the banner is on every page - may not work very well on mobiles and slow the whole thing down.

There's nothing wrong with a slide-show of users equipment idea (assuming the site owns the copyright to the images) - but I would make it a separate section of the forum.

Gordon Steadman
18-05-2013, 09:27
I like the new banner idea, its classy without being TOO pipe and slippers. The man has flair.

I trained as a graphic artist in my youth. I was so good that I ended up making kitchens for a living:lol:

walpurgis
18-05-2013, 09:35
Yes, to a Tannoy user maybe. :D

The cheek of the man! ;)

Marco
18-05-2013, 10:23
I may have a go at implementing them - adding colours often confuses things though.

Obviously it is up to you, but I'm not keen on a slide-show banner:

1/ difficult to create any coherence - can easily look messy and a bit naff.
2/ uses up bandwidth - the banner is on every page - may not work very well on mobiles and slow the whole thing down.

There's nothing wrong with a slide-show of users equipment idea (assuming the site owns the copyright to the images) - but I would make it a separate section of the forum.

All fair points, Mark, and something that we'd have to consider. However, I would definitely want images of equipment, belonging to members, featured within the banner, even if it's not done as a slideshow, as for me, that's more interesting to look at than a wood-panelled wall, or whatever.

However, I do very much like the musical notes swirly thing.... I would lose the words 'Audio Forum', though, and just keep it as 'The Art of Sound'.

Therefore, perhaps you could work on the above ideas, experimenting mainly with fonts and colour schemes, whilst remaining sympathetic to the forum's established colour palette? :)

Marco.

Macca
18-05-2013, 11:10
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/markemark_2006/AoSbanner1_zps9c42ff0a.jpg

That is quite classy looking.

Marco I wouldn't get too hung up over keeping the equipment pictures - they are really too small and jammed together to create any impact - and I have a 50'' monitor.

Marco
18-05-2013, 11:29
Sure, Martin. Nothing here is written in stone. I'm open to suggestions, and when I see something better than using the images in question, I'll acknowledge it. So far, I haven't :)

Marco.

MikeMusic
18-05-2013, 11:42
That is quite classy looking.

Marco I wouldn't get too hung up over keeping the equipment pictures - they are really too small and jammed together to create any impact - and I have a 50'' monitor.

I quite like that

YNWaN
18-05-2013, 13:06
Sure, Martin. Nothing here is written in stone. I'm open to suggestions, and when I see something better than using the images in question, I'll acknowledge it. So far, I haven't :)

Marco.

Well then, I'm afraid it is unlikely you will be seeing it from me as I don't like 'the images in question' and can't see a way of incorporating them in a manner I would like. Using images of this nature, in any coherent manner, is very difficult - all different tonal palettes, backgrounds, image sizes etc. combining a large number of disparate elements often looks very amateurish.

You really have to define what it is that you want the banner to convey, and that message has to be a short and simple one. The purpose of the banner is (IMO) to support the text/title.

Also, by including the equipment of specific members you are (perhaps unintentionally) saying something about the importance of that equipment, and by inference, those forum members - also, those whose equipment is not shown.

Years ago I did a T-shirt design for a club and part of that design included the outline of two well known products. Some people in the club complained that to include these images was to indirectly promote those brands and effectively suggest that the club endorsed them. At the time I only included the images because they were graphically strong - but, in retrospect, I think they had a fair point.

synsei
18-05-2013, 13:23
IMHO the front page and banner are looking a little crusty and it sort of goes against our ethos. We are The Art Of Sound after all, not The Art Of HiFi. Just saying... :eyebrows:

Marco
18-05-2013, 14:20
Hi Mark,

The idea of the images on the banner is that each represents a different subject matter, all of which are popular and discussed regularly on the forum. For example, looking at the banner, from left to right: Vintage hifi > Cables > Computer Audio > Turntables > Amplifiers > Speakers > DIY projects > Tonearms and Cartridges.

Perhaps you hadn't considered that was the concept?

Furthermore, we thought it was a nice idea to feature some of the kit used by our members, as opposed to simply showing generic pictures of hi-fi equipment. The images were not chosen in order to reflect favouritism or bias, in any way, although I can see why some would think differently.

I think the main problem with the current images (although I know that you personally are not a fan, in any sense) is not necessarily the images themselves, but rather people are fed up looking at the same ones, and I sympathise with that. Ideally, they should be rotated frequently with other different images of kit belonging to our members.

The problem is that when we originally asked for people to forward pictures of their kit, to feature in the banner, we weren't exactly inundated with suitable examples. Although many liked the idea, actually doing something about it, and contributing, was too much like hard work.... :rolleyes:

Anyway, since I'd like your input and have been impressed with what you've produced so far let's, for the moment, leave aside images of equipment and have a look at what banner design you think would be good, based on the following criteria:

- Compliments our existing colour scheme

- Uses only the words 'The Art of Sound'

- Is classy looking, non-clinical in appearance, and reflects the ethos/vibe of the forum

Your previous example complied only with the last of the above. Therefore, let's see either what your design looks like when it complies with all of the above criteria, or perhaps just produce something altogether new! :)

Marco.

Marco
18-05-2013, 14:21
Dave, noted (as I've just outlined in my post) :)

Marco.

Gordon Steadman
18-05-2013, 16:25
Maybe its just me but I never see the images. I know they are there but I never look at them, its the name that matters and then it straight into subject matter.

Its pretty as it is but I'm not sure its particularly important. The title certainly is. The images I do like are behind the text at the mo, semi transparent. Perhaps you could go that way?

PS Just visited the Audioflat site and he's done his own banner that way - oops!

synsei
18-05-2013, 16:36
Dave, noted (as I've just outlined in my post) :)

Marco.

Noted too Marco. It is not that I am against the idea per se, it's that the banner is looking a little dated in its presentation. I like Mark's use of the musical staves in his design as I feel it says everything about us and our raison d'etre. Perhaps Mark could incorporate some images of equipment into his design but pushed into the background, subtly highlighting that the equipment is essential to reproduce recorded music in our homes ;)

keiths
18-05-2013, 17:16
Maybe an alternative would be to have a banner without the equipment images - such as the one designed by Mark - on each page, but on the 'home' page only, have the equipment images below the banner - either as a grid, slideshow or 'accordian' (for a nice jQuery accordian see Hamish's Real Photographers Forum http://www.realphotographersforum.com/ )

This would make it far easier to update the images regularly, allow them to create more impact and give the home page some function rather than just to house a 'click here to visit' link.

Having said this, as I use Tapatalk to view the forum most of the time, I rarely see the banner or colour scheme anyway!

YNWaN
18-05-2013, 17:31
Marco, you are quite right - the relevance of the imagery had completely escaped me. To be honest, whilst I think it's a clever idea, I also think it's a bit contrived and brings me back to my point about trying to say too much in a small space.

Barry
18-05-2013, 18:39
Oh Boy, the Mods are treading dangerous territory - last time it was suggested the Banner be changed (and in particular reduced in depth), all Hell broke loose!

Despite being radical in my politics, I’m usually quite conservative when it comes to the appearance of things: I don’t like changes. However AoS is now five years old and maybe it is a good time to reconsider the presentation of the Forum.

Let me start with the least contentious of possible design changes: the background and border colours. Having had a look at some other audio fora (PFM, HiFi Wigwam and Audiogon), I agree the cream/buttermilk background is easy on the eye and the maroon border compliments it well. The stark white background with blue border, as used by the Wigwam, is too stark and tiring to look at after a while. It is not a question of making the Forum look “cosy”; it is a question of making it “comfortable”. Not quite sure of the overall mustard coloured background, but at least it doesn’t ‘jar’.

Now we have got the easy bit out of the way (and anyway Marco has indicated his great reluctance to change the colours), we come to the Banner itself. Most of the criticism from members has concerned itself with either the font or on the use and choice of images. Not being a graphic designer, I can’t really comment on the choice of font, save to say that it could easily be made to look less dated. Whatever is chosen it ought to be ‘neutral’ in appearance; san-serif font looks modern, up-to-date and technical, but not necessarily ‘welcoming’.

I have always liked the images of items of equipment by which stored sound is realised. Such equipment is necessary and is part of “The Art of Sound” – good equipment design is both part science and part art. (Anyway I have always been interested in audio gear, but always as a means to an end.) One of the reasons I joined AoS was not only the style and character of the Forum, its members and the quality of their posts, it was seeing the image of Nick’s Nagra reel-to-reel tape machine – “Umm”, I thought, “these guys have some serious kit here. This looks like a forum worth joining”. However there has been some criticism of the images.

If they are to be retained I think it is time they were changed (and maybe the tail banner dispensed with). I like the idea of regularly changing them using images of member’s systems taken from the Gallery. This makes it inclusive and would reinforce the community spirit enjoyed in the Forum. I have no idea of the technical problems involved to realise this, but suspect they are not trivial.

A radical idea might be to dispense with the images altogether. How about having a single generic image (such as an old gramophone; similar to that used by HMV) with the title Art of Sound alongside? The use of a more abstract motif, such as music notes on a stave, as has been suggested, is nice but the “Art of Sound” is not only about music, it is also about the retrieval of those sounds from various storage media.

I also think the title page needs a redesign – especially clarifying the nature of the various ‘rooms’. And in that regard (and something with which I have some involvement) the various rooms in The Knowledge could do with some rationalisation.

walpurgis
18-05-2013, 18:53
No matter how OAS looks or ends up looking, there will be people who don't like it.

I bet if it changes, there will be those clamouring for a return to the status quo!

Thing Fish
18-05-2013, 18:55
Whatever is changed in whatever form there will always be naesayers. It's human nature.

I have to say I find everything most agreeable as I also abhor change...:)

Marco
18-05-2013, 18:57
Marco, you are quite right - the relevance of the imagery had completely escaped me. To be honest, whilst I think it's a clever idea, I also think it's a bit contrived and brings me back to my point about trying to say too much in a small space.

No worries, Mark - I know where you're coming from. Can we see then what your banner looks like when presented in sympathy with our existing colour scheme? :)

Marco.

P.S Barry, some good feedback there, as always!

istari_knight
18-05-2013, 19:03
What smartarse complained about it in the first place !? :D

To be honest I might have looked at the banner for 5 seconds on my first visit but don't even notice it now but will say that I haven't seen anything I would call an improvement yet.

As for the colour scheme ? I really disliked it at first but now it is "cosy" - You certainly don't confuse this board with any other :lol:

The Grand Wazoo
18-05-2013, 20:11
Don't forget chaps, as Marco said earlier, we don't expect to be doing this till the end of the year - let's not get carried away just yet. May to December is a hell of a lot of designing time!

Marco
18-05-2013, 20:16
Yup, but there's never a bad time to receive feedback from our members. Let's always remember that it is they who make AoS what it is! :)

Marco.

hifi_dave
18-05-2013, 20:37
I no longer look at the heading banner or below the last post on a page. Actually, I didn't even realise there was " tail banner" until Barry mentioned it.

The overall colouring is fine to my eyes as it doesn't jar or offend as some forums do and these become tiring after a while.

kininigin
18-05-2013, 21:07
I like the colour scheme,easy on the eyes and not a problem to look at for long periods or in the dark! I'm indifferent about the banners,they can stay or be changed,it wouldn't matter to me either way :)

Marco
18-05-2013, 21:17
I like the colour scheme,easy on the eyes and not a problem to look at for long periods or in the dark!

Aye, great when you've had the leccy cut off, eh? We aim to please! :D

Marco.

seoirse2002
18-05-2013, 21:30
Yup, but there's never a bad time to receive feedback from our members. Let's always remember that it is they who make AoS what it is! :)

Marco.

Which is getting to be a pain in the ar for me.....Im tired of all the IN jokes and funnies that. to me, are not funny at all....example.....bargains on ebay.....leave it at that.....I really dont want to scroll through all the crap...who had,who didnt etc....and no pointing out a bargain with an hour to go.....get a life,some of us dont spend all day checking out AOS....I am sure that the REAL bargains are never mentioned.....unless of course,someone on here is bragging about their latest buy...AFTER the event.....
I have enjoyed being a member here and indeed enjoyed all the help I have received from members,but it is being ruined for me now by all the crap I have to scroll thru......Im so tired of anecdotes,its getting boring.....by the way,did I tell you about my heliobactor pylori and the effect it had on my blah blah....but a massively expensive mains cable..any cable... solved it all for me.....LOL .....I can now hear the birds twittering in the trees outside on the day the recording was made,and the producer biting into a sandwich halfway through the song........and all for only the addition of a 2000 something or other......its just getting beyond a joke.....oops,I better go check my filter is feeding a clean feed into my psu which is also feeding a clean mains feed into my silver cabled interconnects which are feeding my thingamebob into my prenuptial agreement and outputting into my huge dynamic output devices and feeding my massive divorce settlement and ego.......you guessed it guys.....its been a hard days night...nuff said

Marco
18-05-2013, 21:34
Lol - hope you feel better after that now, George!

Marco.

Barry
18-05-2013, 21:44
Yes - do please tell us all about the stool test you had for helicobacter pylori. We're all ears! :eyebrows:

Marco
18-05-2013, 21:48
Mmm... Turdus Humungus Stenchitis....:eyebrows:

Marco.

Audio Al
18-05-2013, 23:20
Banner :scratch:

Its JUST a Banner :scratch:

Do people really spend time looking at it :scratch:

I dont , I tend to spend time looking at post that interest me

The only time I get pissed off is when I click on AOS and nothing happens

Come on people , its Just a BANNER ;)

walpurgis
18-05-2013, 23:43
nuff said

Cor, I'm glad you got that lot off your chest George.

I get the feeling you are just giving air to some frustration. Relax, we all have periods in life that are a pain. I've learned the hard way that getting wound up does not work (for me at least). :)

Audio Al
18-05-2013, 23:45

I get the feeling you are just giving air to some frustration. Relax, we all have periods in life that are a pain. I've learned the hard way that getting wound up does not work (for me at least). :)

I don't do wound up or stress Geoff ;)

Gordon Steadman
19-05-2013, 08:59
Which is getting to be a pain in the ar for me.....Im tired of all the IN jokes and funnies that. to me, are not funny at all....example.....bargains on ebay.....leave it at that.....I really dont want to scroll through all the crap...who had,who didnt etc....and no pointing out a bargain with an hour to go.....get a life,some of us dont spend all day checking out AOS....I am sure that the REAL bargains are never mentioned.....unless of course,someone on here is bragging about their latest buy...AFTER the event.....
I have enjoyed being a member here and indeed enjoyed all the help I have received from members,but it is being ruined for me now by all the crap I have to scroll thru......Im so tired of anecdotes,its getting boring.....by the way,did I tell you about my heliobactor pylori and the effect it had on my blah blah....but a massively expensive mains cable..any cable... solved it all for me.....LOL .....I can now hear the birds twittering in the trees outside on the day the recording was made,and the producer biting into a sandwich halfway through the song........and all for only the addition of a 2000 something or other......its just getting beyond a joke.....oops,I better go check my filter is feeding a clean feed into my psu which is also feeding a clean mains feed into my silver cabled interconnects which are feeding my thingamebob into my prenuptial agreement and outputting into my huge dynamic output devices and feeding my massive divorce settlement and ego.......you guessed it guys.....its been a hard days night...nuff said

WOW........ serious type? You obviously need a one track forum. Have you tried the subjective people? All they talk about is other forums rather than hi-fi though. Don't know if you are interested in that but at least it concentrates on the subject at hand:eyebrows:

Mr Kipling
19-05-2013, 09:25
Been slaving on my mobile all morning. Think I can safely say I've got the new banner sorted:

Alex_UK
19-05-2013, 09:50
Love it - get's my vote! :lol:

walpurgis
19-05-2013, 10:30
Love it - get's my vote! :lol:

No way! That guy's far too young.

Marco
19-05-2013, 10:31
Hi Mark,

Anyway, since I'd like your input and have been impressed with what you've produced so far let's, for the moment, leave aside images of equipment and have a look at what banner design you think would be good, based on the following criteria:

- Compliments our existing colour scheme

- Uses only the words 'The Art of Sound'

- Is classy looking, non-clinical in appearance, and reflects the ethos/vibe of the forum

Your previous example complied only with the last of the above. Therefore, let's see either what your design looks like when it complies with all of the above criteria, or perhaps just produce something altogether new!

Ahem, Marky-poo, have you got bored now or what? :D

Marco.

YNWaN
19-05-2013, 12:34
Unfortunately, I'm away from home this weekend and don't really have the time to commit to it. However, I did have a bit of a go last night but wasn't very happy with the results. I changed the colours, text, inserted some pictures - it just looked a bit of an incoherent jumble and juggling elements around didn't improve it.

You know what they say about a camel - it's a horse designed by committee.

I'll have to have a complete re-think of it, but nothing occurs to me at present.

Marco
19-05-2013, 16:09
No worries, dude. If you get any renewed inspiration, feel free to furnish it with us. We're always looking for new ideas :)

Marco.

YNWaN
19-05-2013, 17:08
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/markemark_2006/AoSbanner3a_zps6ae12f6b.jpg

Marco
19-05-2013, 17:13
Mmm... I quite like that! Could we try it without the red colouring around the lettering? :)

Marco.

Gordon Steadman
19-05-2013, 17:36
Mmm... I quite like that! Could we try it without the red colouring around the lettering? :)

Marco.

Perhaps I'm wrong but I assumed that Mark put that up to show how horrible it will look. The original looked smart and well balanced. The tonal qualities of the changed staves just fight the design.

As you say, maybe a slight change in the font might help:eek:

No accounting for taste is there?

YNWaN
19-05-2013, 17:45
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/markemark_2006/AoSbanner3b_zps881e57c9.jpg

Marco
19-05-2013, 17:47
Excellent - we might have something there! :)

Only thing we could try now, like Gordon says, is play around with the fonts...

Marco.

Rare Bird
19-05-2013, 17:47
Jesus Marco why not just put up the appology so no one could respond as in a notice?

Marco
19-05-2013, 17:48
Sorry, Andre, you've lost me there... :scratch:

Marco.

Rare Bird
19-05-2013, 17:50
Apologies for the downtime! turned into a full 12 pages of reply why? :)

Marco
19-05-2013, 17:51
Ah, right, I see... S'ok, I'm cool with that :)

The subject was addressed on the Noticeboard too, btw ;)

Marco.

YNWaN
19-05-2013, 18:19
Excellent - we might have something there! :)

Only thing we could try now, like Gordon says, is play around with the fonts...

Marco.

Hmm..must admit, I'm not that keen on it.

Messing about with the fonts could take eons as there are thousands (perhaps hundreds of thousands) of options. In addition, the AoS lettering used above is made from five (or six) individual layers and would take ages to do for a bunch of different fonts. Can't you be a bit more specific as what kind of font you are thinking of?

walpurgis
19-05-2013, 18:22
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/markemark_2006/AoSbanner3b_zps881e57c9.jpg

That's not bad at all. The colour balance is pleasant, but what's with the 'stately home' wood panelling background? Something of similar hue, but with perhaps some Hi-Fi equipment shown might be more appealling.

Gordon Steadman
19-05-2013, 18:30
Hmm..must admit, I'm not that keen on it.

Messing about with the fonts could take eons as there are thousands (perhaps hundreds of thousands) of options. In addition, the AoS lettering used above is made from five (or six) individual layers and would take ages to do for a bunch of different fonts. Can't you be a bit more specific as what kind of font you are thinking of?

Probably best just offer a font with a drop shadow or simple coloured outline. At least that way you could swap fonts without working for hours.

For me, its going backwards now. So often I find that the initial idea gets diluted the more you play.

Rare Bird
19-05-2013, 18:34
The colour balance is pleasant, but what's with the 'stately home' wood panelling background?
Stately Home wood panneling wouldnt be as tacky as that :lol:

YNWaN
19-05-2013, 18:41
Blimey, you certainly know how to put your size 13 in it Andre - great input though - cant wait to give your effort some worthwhile critique!

Marco, you asked before if I had lost interest. I must admit that it was waning - time to move on and let others take over I think.

Rare Bird
19-05-2013, 18:50
Blimey, you certainly know how to put your size 13 in it Andre - great input though - cant wait to give your effort some worthwhile critique!

You point out one instance where i pulled your efforts down?

Gordon Steadman
20-05-2013, 14:13
That's not bad at all. The colour balance is pleasant, but what's with the 'stately home' wood panelling background? Something of similar hue, but with perhaps some Hi-Fi equipment shown might be more appealling.

'Fraid I disagree. The colour balance is boring in the extreme. Absolutely flat, with nothing punching out to say "hey, this is us" Look at the contrast in the Audioflat banner, it announces its presence.

Barry
20-05-2013, 14:31
'Fraid I disagree. The colour balance is boring in the extreme. Absolutely flat, with nothing punching out to say "hey, this is us" Look at the contrast in the Audioflat banner, it announces its presence.

I have had a look at the Audioflat site, and I have to say the whole look of the website (and its banner in particular) is bland, bland, bland. Exactly the look AoS is wanting to avoid.

(That's not to say the posts aren't interesting to read - they are, but then many of them are written by members who are also members here! :eyebrows:)

Gordon Steadman
20-05-2013, 14:55
I have had a look at the Audioflat site, and I have to say the whole look of the website (and its banner in particular) is bland, bland, bland. Exactly the look AoS is wanting to avoid.

(That's not to say the posts aren't interesting to read - they are, but then many of them are written by members who are also members here! :eyebrows:)

I guess we have a very different set of values on aesthetics then. Graphic design is all about getting a message across. His site does that admirably. I have no problem with the existing banner but I find it unexciting and bland.

Different folks:)

Marco
20-05-2013, 15:27
I *really* like the 'banner' in Mark's signature here, which for me, is all the things that Gordon says about the one on the Audioflat forum, but which for me (I'm sorry) does look bland and boring, along with the site's rather insipid grey colour palette.

However, as has rightly been said, it's all about personal taste. Clearly, Mark and I have different tastes, in that respect, as well as different goals for the impact on visitors of our respective websites, which is cool :)

I'm surprised, however, that the 'banner' in Mark's signature on AoS doesn't also double as the banner on the Audioflat site; indeed that is what I was expecting to find. All that would need to be done would be to make it bigger. IMHO, the one on Mark's signature here is far more creative and effective.

Marco.

YNWaN
20-05-2013, 16:07
Umm...perhaps a bit of clarification is in order.

Regarding the AudioFlat forum 'header' banner (which I would like to point out has never been mentioned by me), the banner is rather intentionally stark and minimal - as is the look of the whole template. My own design tends to lean toward the minimal and 'cut down' - I have no problem with other styles, but they aren't what I personally lean towards; one persons boring is another persons restrained and subtle etc.

The banner that is my signature on this forum represents my own logo and design (although the AudioFlat logo is also present as I am also associated with that company). Likewise, my avatar represents myself and not AudioFlat. To use my Avatar or my signature banner for the AudioFlat forum would, in my opinion, be inappropriate.

Beechwoods
20-05-2013, 16:17
I tell you, it's a bloody hard job creating a banner that everyone is happy with... and keeping the energy up while catering for everyone's input and sometimes their criticism, that's tough, especially when you don't have the luxury of being able to throw in the towel!

A banner has to make a statement, but not be a statement - it has to coexist with the rest of the forum and not lead the eye away from it. It also needs to fit within the space and work for people on laptops at 1024 width as well as people with humongous desktops.

I'd be happy for someone with design skills to bring their touch to a new banner. I think the colours are part of our identity - they've been like this since day one and as marketeers know, you don't rebrand the basics unless you want to confuse people.

If you don't like the main colour scheme check out the 'Evening Style' via the Style Chooser at the bottom left. It was designed for night-time viewing.

When we move to VB4 the Evening Style may be unavailable for a week or two as it needs to be reworked for the new version, but it gives you all a choice if you find the standard one too bright.

Gordon Steadman
20-05-2013, 16:38
I tell you, it's a bloody hard job creating a banner that everyone is happy with... and keeping the energy up while catering for everyone's input and sometimes their criticism, that's tough, especially when you don't have the luxury of being able to throw in the towel!

A banner has to make a statement, but not be a statement - it has to coexist with the rest of the forum and not lead the eye away from it. It also needs to fit within the space and work for people on laptops at 1024 width as well as people with humongous desktops.

I'd be happy for someone with design skills to bring their touch to a new banner. I think the colours are part of our identity - they've been like this since day one and as marketeers know, you don't rebrand the basics unless you want to confuse people.

If you don't like the main colour scheme check out the 'Evening Style' via the Style Chooser at the bottom left. It was designed for night-time viewing.

When we move to VB4 the Evening Style may be unavailable for a week or two as it needs to be reworked for the new version, but it gives you all a choice if you find the standard one too bright.

Ye gods,

I just tried the night setting:eek: Strange. However I do much prefer the banner against the blue background as it makes it stand out much better.

Anyway as said, when it comes down to it, tastes are different. Mine is more in line with Mark's. I prefer sleek and modern rather than ....er how can I put this?..... safe and traditional;)

Marco
20-05-2013, 16:58
Lol... You see, I don't consider the visual style of AoS as "safe and traditional", but rather as elegant and distinctive. The design, IMO, has more than a little panache. If we wanted 'safe', the whole site would simply be in black and white! ;)

Anyway, everyone agreeing on this type of thing would be akin to consulting the whole forum as to how best to decorate the interior of one's house, and expecting all answers to be the same!! :eek:

And in that respect, I'd always go for 'relaxing and cosy' (sitting in front of a roaring log fire in a period-style lodge with nice thick curtains and comfy chairs), than 'stark and clinical' (sitting in an uber-modern, minimalist-decorated city cente penthouse). That'll probably be why I live in the former, not the latter! :lol:

Mark, thanks for the clarification. I had no idea that the logo you used here represented yourself, not Audioflat. I considered the two as intrinsically linked. However, as I've said, I much prefer the design of your personal logo, which for me, by far shows the greater level of creativity.

Marco.

seoirse2002
20-05-2013, 17:07
Yes - do please tell us all about the stool test you had for helicobacter pylori. We're all ears! :eyebrows:

Hi Barry,
Didnt need it after all...but the endoscopy wasnt nice...:cool:....oops..its only red wine from now on

seoirse2002
20-05-2013, 17:13
Lol - hope you feel better after that now, George!

Marco.

I certainly do Marco,....thankyou for your thoughts....I think the tablets produce mood swings

seoirse2002
20-05-2013, 17:18

Never worked for me either...thanks for your thoughts though......
the annoying thing is...I cant find my silver interconnects

Marco
20-05-2013, 17:20
I certainly do Marco,....thankyou for your thoughts....I think the tablets produce mood swings

Lol... I know all about that, having once been on very strong steroids, after having had a spinal tumour removed. Anyway, this place is full of moody old bastards, so you'll feel well at home! :D

Marco.

kininigin
20-05-2013, 17:37
Aye, great when you've had the leccy cut off, eh? We aim to please! :D

Marco.

Not really,i need the leccy to power the pc! :ner:

Gordon Steadman
20-05-2013, 18:58
And in that respect, I'd always go for 'relaxing and cosy' (sitting in front of a roaring log fire in a period-style lodge with nice thick curtains and comfy chairs), than 'stark and clinical' (sitting in an uber-modern, minimalist-decorated city cente penthouse). That'll probably be why I live in the former, not the latter! :lol:

Marco.

Ah but one can have both. We have a nice snug with a roaring fire and the cosy chairs. This is for comfort on these 'orrible rainy cold days.

Then again, in a traditional old French house, we have a super smooth modern kitchen with all the bits.

As you say, no matter what you do, you can't please them all so we will have to agree to disagree:fence:

When it comes to it of course, its the content of AOS we are here for and I don't give a monkey's about the header. I just want to be able to read the text clearly. Its fine as it is, just stay available....please:please:

Barry
20-05-2013, 21:52
Hi Barry,
Didnt need it after all...but the endoscopy wasn't nice...:cool:....oops..its only red wine from now on

That's good news George.

However, I had assumed that the medical reference was simply used as an example of what you regard as the extraneous and irrelevent news, sometimes mentioned by members in their posts. I was so taken aback by your diatribe, that my response was rather sarcastic.

Had I known that you were actually having medical tests, I wouldn't have posted the reply that I did. No offense was intended, and my apologies if any was created.

MartinT
20-05-2013, 22:03
oh..while we're at it take that eye sore Dyna arm from the pics. :vomfest:

One person's eyesore is another's beauty. You should see it in the flesh, a gorgeous piece of highly performance-focussed engineering.

Marco
20-05-2013, 22:08
Ah but one can have both. We have a nice snug with a roaring fire and the cosy chairs. This is for comfort on these 'orrible rainy cold days.

Then again, in a traditional old French house, we have a super smooth modern kitchen with all the bits.

Yeah, but no nice kitchen, for me, would be complete without an Aga, a proper (walk-in) larder, and a big old Belfast sink! You can keep yer uber-modern pish ;)

As you say, no matter what you do, you can't please them all so we will have to agree to disagree:fence:

Yup, although I suspect that in other areas we agree more than we disagree!

When it comes to it of course, its the content of AOS we are here for and I don't give a monkey's about the header. I just want to be able to read the text clearly. Its fine as it is, just stay available....please:please:

I think you'll be fine on that score from now on :cool:

Marco.

seoirse2002
21-05-2013, 00:56
That's good news George.

However, I had assumed that the medical reference was simply used as an example of what you regard as the extraneous and irrelevent news, sometimes mentioned by members in their posts. I was so taken aback by your diatribe, that my response was rather sarcastic.

Had I known that you were actually having medical tests, I wouldn't have posted the reply that I did. No offense was intended, and my apologies if any was created.

No offense taken Barry....in fact Im glad it was only H Pylori in the grand scale of things

Marco
21-05-2013, 01:58
I think the colours are part of our identity - they've been like this since day one and as marketeers know, you don't rebrand the basics unless you want to confuse people.

Prezactly :)

Marco.

MartinT
21-05-2013, 06:19
I would separate out discussion of the site's colour scheme (very important indeed, just try the Evening Style if you don't believe a colour scheme can wildly influence your perception of a forum) from the banner, which is only noticed fleetingly after the first sighting.

To me, the colour scheme is critical and we don't want to play with it lightly.
The banner can be trialled and changed if not effective, although we don't want to end up with a British Airways branding fiasco...

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Arts/Arts_/Pictures/2011/8/31/1314813107752/John-Sorrell-s-tail-fin-d-007.jpg

wiicrackpot
21-05-2013, 08:07
One person's eyesore is another's beauty. You should see it in the flesh, a gorgeous piece of highly performance-focussed engineering.
Oh i am sorry Martin, didn't realise it's yours till i read your post and checked your kit list, i thought it was a stock photo from the net,
please feel free to to criticise my SME IV to equalise things.

I am on my kness and say once again please forgive me. :o

MartinT
21-05-2013, 08:47
Don't worry, I used to have an SME IV and liked it too. The Dyna is better, though ;)

Gordon Steadman
21-05-2013, 19:45
Yeah, but no nice kitchen, for me, would be complete without an Aga, a proper (walk-in) larder, and a big old Belfast sink! You can keep yer uber-modern pish ;)

Marco.

Well just because the kitchen units are a bit smooth doesn't mean we don't have a proper woodburning stove (can't afford the Aga yet), a HUGE walk in food store and a belfast (ish... its a steel one) in the utility. The main sink is one of those horrible SS Franke things that cost more than the car.
'orses for courses.:)

wiicrackpot
21-05-2013, 20:01
Don't worry, I used to have an SME IV and liked it too. The Dyna is better, though ;)
:) Shoulda known better, it is the world wide web you know, tis the nature of the beast, out of character for me too, i don't normally diss others kit,
must say though it must sound good, but i am threatened by the complexity to get it dialled in. :cool:

Marco
22-05-2013, 06:53
Well just because the kitchen units are a bit smooth doesn't mean we don't have a proper woodburning stove (can't afford the Aga yet), a HUGE walk in food store and a belfast (ish... its a steel one) in the utility. The main sink is one of those horrible SS Franke things that cost more than the car.
'orses for courses.:)

Sounds great, Gordon. Honestly, as long as your fridge is adequately good to chill the Pineau, and accompany the pre-dinner canapés, your cooker has the requisite ability to cook the filet mignon to perfection, and the wine cellar is stocked up with Petrus, in time for my arrival, I don't give a shit! :lol:

;)

Marco.

Gordon Steadman
22-05-2013, 08:35
Sounds great, Gordon. Honestly, as long as your fridge is adequately good to chill the Pineau, and accompany the pre-dinner canapés, your cooker has the requisite ability to cook the filet mignon to perfection, and the wine cellar is stocked up with Petrus, in time for my arrival, I don't give a shit! :lol:

;)

Marco.

This is good 'cos most of the house is shit:lol:

Its French init. We have a way to go:eek:

wiicrackpot
22-05-2013, 12:19
This is good 'cos most of the house is shit:lol:

Its French init. We have a way to go:eek:
Don't know about French houses but the sockets are shit, give me good old U.K. 3 pin any day. :lol:

Gordon Steadman
22-05-2013, 12:35
Don't know about French houses but the sockets are shit, give me good old U.K. 3 pin any day. :lol:

I thought that to start with but now prefer the French way. Apart from anything else, I understand those little screwed connecting blocks they use better than complex stuff. Give me a small screwdriver and I can wire the whole house.