PDA

View Full Version : Spencer Davis. Is there a singles/hits album made properly ?

MikeMusic
14-05-2013, 14:53
Have you got a good sound quality album ?

There are loads of Greatest Hits and similar albums for Spencer Davis

I have a couple
One is without Steve Winwood and another is appalling quality
The Amazon reviews of "Best of" also refer to poor SQ
I've found one called "Gold" is that any good ?

I'm after the early singles with decent SQ. Anything else is a bonus

Mr Kipling
18-05-2013, 14:46
Afraid not!

I have 2 or 3 and the sound quality is a bit disappointing. All the early hits are in mono although I've found mp3s that have been in stereo which I think were US releases originally.

I never bothered with Youtube until I found some early appearances on German tv. I couldn't ever remember seing Stevie Winwood on tv when he was with them - and it was just great to see him. He was only about 17! Great performances from him. Even at such a young age he has that Guru quality about him. And the sound quality has a certain basic honesty about it. I downloaded them and really enjoy watching them.

MikeMusic
18-05-2013, 14:58
Rats
I think I have all the singles I want in 45
I'll dig them out and have a listen, maybe burn to CD !

Mr Kipling
18-05-2013, 15:23
The double cd Eight Gigs a Week gets very good reviews on Amazon and is an Island release. It's only about £8. Might get it.

Google Spencer Davis Group Stereo.

Have you got Stevie Winwoods first solo album? Love it!

MikeMusic
18-05-2013, 15:39
The double cd Eight Gigs a Week gets very good reviews on Amazon and is an Island release. It's only about £8. Might get it.

Google Spencer Davis Group Stereo.

Have you got Stevie Winwoods first solo album? Love it!

I researched a few Spencer Davis think I sampled this and heard it as poor quality.
I like his voice a lot, but find his albums promise but never deliver what you think and hope they will.
<looks>
Don't have Go but - Oh I have 6 !
Live Madison Square Garden with Eric was good on TV ad there is a CD I think

Mr Kipling
18-05-2013, 16:20
I know what you mean about his albums. I only have 4. My favourite is his first. Do a search for 'Hold On' and also 'Time is Running Out'.

Discogs have the lp for £1 + postage.

Macca
18-05-2013, 16:32
!
Live Madison Square Garden with Eric was good on TV ad there is a CD I think

There is and I have it - 2CD package split between the Clapton/Winwood material. Not the best live recording ever, despite it being quite recent, but enjoyable none the less.

Barry
18-05-2013, 21:56
I can't fault this:

The Best of Spencer Davis Group feat. Stevie Winwood

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61OXkFU3NBL._SY450_.jpg

Island 1967 Island 848 092-1 (vinyl) and 848 092-2 (CD)

I have it on both vinyl and CD; just love that 'screaming' Hammond organ. :)

Rare Bird
18-05-2013, 22:15
Not sure i understand the o/p but the Spencer Davis Group made three studio fuzzies with Steve Winwood onboard..

MikeMusic
19-05-2013, 14:14
I know what you mean about his albums. I only have 4. My favourite is his first. Do a search for 'Hold On' and also 'Time is Running Out'.

Discogs have the lp for £1 + postage.

Thanks
Seems ok, but can't be sure as streaming at home is patchy even for just audio.
Will play again tomorrow at work

MikeMusic
19-05-2013, 14:15
There is and I have it - 2CD package split between the Clapton/Winwood material. Not the best live recording ever, despite it being quite recent, but enjoyable none the less.

I particularly liked the Hendrix numbers. Thought they made it

MikeMusic
19-05-2013, 14:16
I can't fault this:

The Best of Spencer Davis Group feat. Stevie Winwood

I have it on both vinyl and CD; just love that 'screaming' Hammond organ. :)

Thanks
I either read somewhere it was poor or maybe sampled it
Sounds like one to go for

MikeMusic
19-05-2013, 14:20
Not sure i understand the o/p but the Spencer Davis Group made three studio fuzzies with Steve Winwood onboard..

I'm after the early singles. To hear if the promise of what I hope is there comes out on a good system