PDA

View Full Version : Fake Britain features fake vinyl pressings.

Audioman
10-05-2013, 16:43
The vinyl resurgence has now reached such a level that the bootleg vinyl industry has grabbed the BBC's attention.

This morning's Fake Britain (which may be a repeat?) investigated the many editions of rare vinyl titles being sold. Of course as many know the give away is the multiple colours on offer. Obviously a lot of Numpty collectors are being fooled or do some people just like collecting fakes? Let's face it I am getting more convinced that most people paying large sums for those not so mint 'rare' pressings don't actually listen to them or have equipment that reveals how bad they sound.

Rare Bird
10-05-2013, 18:52
Please explain more Paul. Fakes or unofficial issues of stuff that's not been available since they were first issued 40+ years ago?

Audioman
10-05-2013, 19:22
Please explain more Paul. Fakes or unofficial issues of stuff that's not been available since they were first issued 40+ years ago?

Both actually. Examples: U2 singles set = fake. Bowie Scary Monsters picture disc = Unofficial reissue. Also some people probably can't tell the difference anyway. A DJ was fooled that some rare acid house reissues were genuine. Market stalls had the usual array of coloured 'reissues' inc Piper At The Gates Of Dawn. It's recent stuff as well as 40 year old titles.

Frankly with these Classic Rock reissues record companies have themselves to blame. I don't see the barrier to reissuing the entire PF catalogue from analogue sources since there is a huge demand out there. While they are obsessed by drip feeding digitally remastered titles the originals will get more expensive and this illegal market will persist.

Barry
10-05-2013, 20:16
Reminds me of a sign I saw in Turkey a few years ago:

http://i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy88/barrydhunt/045_zpsb65f18f3.jpg

At least they were being honest; unlike the traders of counterfeit goods in Thailand.