PDA

View Full Version : Tannoy Monitor gold 15"

Wakefield Turntables
09-05-2013, 22:51
Oh dear, I'm not impressed with these. The ATC's I own piddle all over them. Maybe I need a little more time with them.

Alex_UK
09-05-2013, 22:57
Well, in my experience, you never get a second chance to make a first impression... :(

I pretty much know within 30 seconds if I like something or not. Tannoy's divide opinion - maybe they're just not for you - no need to feel ashamed! ;)

Wakefield Turntables
09-05-2013, 23:06
no need to feel ashamed! ;)

I never said I did !!!! :ner:

Alex_UK
09-05-2013, 23:09
That's why the ;) smiley was there! ;) :lol:

Wakefield Turntables
10-05-2013, 09:53
Right, I'm off to do some research on the old Wardrobes to see what I can do to improve things. I think I need to get used to the Tannoy sound, I must admit that compare to the precision of ATC the Tannoy's sound bloated and lacking in clarity. Right lets see what I can dig out on the net!

Ali Tait
10-05-2013, 10:52
What state are the crossovers in?

Marco
10-05-2013, 13:15
Hi Andrew,

"Bloated and lacking in clarity" is exactly what you'll get when original crossovers are used and, shall we say, less than optimal cabinets. What cabs and crossovers are you using with the 15 MGs?

However, regardless of that, you may just not like the vintage Tannoy DC sound - so worry not, it's all personal taste :)

Marco.

Wakefield Turntables
10-05-2013, 14:18
Original x-o and lancaster cabs. I've made some temporary stands to get them off the floor, they are 12" of the ground and the soundstage has already "come together". Having a dodgy binding post dosen't help :rolleyes: I'm gonna have a play with positioning and cables. One step at a time me thinks! I need to get used to the Tannoy sound as well.

Macca
11-05-2013, 11:25
I can't believe that you are surprised that your ATC are way better than some old Tannoys. Not to say the Tannoys can't be fettled. All the original ones I have heard were not up to much at all, the fettled ones or the modern prestige range are impressive though. However if I had your ATCs I'm sure I would never even think about changing 'speakers (or amps) ever again :)

Wakefield Turntables
11-05-2013, 11:50
I can't believe that you are surprised that your ATC are way better than some old Tannoys. Not to say the Tannoys can't be fettled. All the original ones I have heard were not up to much at all, the fettled ones or the modern prestige range are impressive though. However if I had your ATCs I'm sure I would never even think about changing 'speakers (or amps) ever again :)

The atc's were bought because I had experimented biamping with quad 77 power amps and loved the sounds so the next stag up was tri amping hence the speakers I bought. The tannoys were bought for my valve setup as I wanted something to match the era of my other kit. The tannoys are actually bedding down and I've been fiddling about with bits of kit, cables, speaker position etc and I can report back and say that things are getting better :cool: a good example being listening to the super cut version of holst's planet suite, the old favourite MARS nearly blow my bloody head off it was so massively loud and wide in soundscape. As you know I like to tweek and I think the tannoys are going to be another neat project, probably quite costly but it's what I love doing. I will keep you all updated as my journey continues.

walpurgis
11-05-2013, 17:55
A friend of mine had the ATC SCM50A speakers with a Mark Levinson pre-amp processor and CD player and it was a seriously fine sound, but I would not say I preferred it over a good Tannoy based system.

Marco
11-05-2013, 19:17
They're just different types of sound... ATCs will always sound more clinically 'correct', in a hi-fi sense, whereas big Tannoy DCs, done well, will sound more like real music :)

The biggest factor, for me, is the effect of the ATC amp packs (active ATCs are the only 'proper' ones), which compared with a top-notch valve amp, aren't the most musically convincing things in the world, which is where 15MGs, driven accordingly with said top-notch valve amp, should sail away into the sunset, if one gets off on experiencing genuine musical realism, as opposed to merely 'impressive hi-fi sounds'.

Marco.

Reffc
11-05-2013, 20:13
Andrew

fear not. The difference between old, tired crossovers and the (frankly) terrible Lancaster cabs to some fettled cabs and fresh crossovers is so great, it beggars belief.

Those crossovers need removing, liberal amounts of switch cleaner applying to both switches, the 4 pin connectors de-oxidised and coated with electrical lube, the caps replaced (Claritycaps are good) before you can begin to gauge what they're capable of. The cabs are only a half the volume they need to be to hear those speakers deliver what they're capable of but for starters, there needs to be braces added and additional wadding placed behind the driver (only).

Those tweaks alone will yield some seriously impressive improvements. Better still, have some custom crossovers built (to the electrically flat settings minus all the switches) and build yourself some custom 200 litre ported cabs.

I wouldn't go that far though until you've freshened the crossovers up and braced the existing cabs so you can at least guage whther you like the Tannoy sound. As you're hearing them now, you're probably not getting close to what they are capable of.

Marco
11-05-2013, 20:24
+51! :D

Marco.

Rare Bird
11-05-2013, 20:59
I'm a big fan ;)

Marco
11-05-2013, 21:14
Aye, as much as you are of herpes! :lol:

Marco.

Rare Bird
11-05-2013, 21:16
:lolsign:

Wakefield Turntables
12-05-2013, 08:04
Andrew

fear not. The difference between old, tired crossovers and the (frankly) terrible Lancaster cabs to some fettled cabs and fresh crossovers is so great, it beggars belief.

Those crossovers need removing, liberal amounts of switch cleaner applying to both switches, the 4 pin connectors de-oxidised and coated with electrical lube, the caps replaced (Claritycaps are good) before you can begin to gauge what they're capable of. The cabs are only a half the volume they need to be to hear those speakers deliver what they're capable of but for starters, there needs to be braces added and additional wadding placed behind the driver (only).

Those tweaks alone will yield some seriously impressive improvements. Better still, have some custom crossovers built (to the electrically flat settings minus all the switches) and build yourself some custom 200 litre ported cabs.

I wouldn't go that far though until you've freshened the crossovers up and braced the existing cabs so you can at least guage whther you like the Tannoy sound. As you're hearing them now, you're probably not getting close to what they are capable of.

Thanks! I must admit the x-o are original and the Lancaster cabs are pretty small. Your not the first person to say dump the Lanc's! For the time being I'll be fettling the x-o. I'll probably seek out some old lockwood cabs. e-Bay usually throughs up the odd pair. Just out of interest how far from the walls should they be kept and how far apart should the speakers be kept. I appreciate each room is different but some ideas would be nice. :)

Reffc
12-05-2013, 09:27
Thanks! I must admit the x-o are original and the Lancaster cabs are pretty small. Your not the first person to say dump the Lanc's! For the time being I'll be fettling the x-o. I'll probably seek out some old lockwood cabs. e-Bay usually throughs up the odd pair. Just out of interest how far from the walls should they be kept and how far apart should the speakers be kept. I appreciate each room is different but some ideas would be nice. :)

Tannoys of this era seem to be very unfussy about placement. You can use them near-field due to the dual concentric drivers or if sitting further back, just have them as wide apart as you are from them. They can be slightly closer together as they throw a wide soundstage.

As with most speakers, for bass reinforcement, place them closer to rear walls. Anything under 1m from the front baffle to front wall should see +6dB gain depending on where you sit.

Don't space them equidistant from front/side walls unless you want problems with boom as this will set up corner standing waves. Best in theory not to have the distance from the side walls and front wall either equal or as equal multiples of one another (ie 1m to the front baffle and say 1.4m from side wall to centre of speaker should be fine). I find a slight toe in helps.

The Lancs don't deliver very much bass response and have a very resonant front baffle (in fact the whole cab is pretty resonant). I've known people to remove the rear panel and introduce three or 4 braces (watch the spacing as is shouldn't be equal) with a central "chamber" created by placing bracing just above and just below the driver. The rear of this chamber section needs at least 3 inches of acoustic wadding applied to it, ditto the sides here, top and base sections. Nothing else needs much padding. You can stiffen the rear up by laminating it with 12mm mdf or ply on the inside so you keep the outside looking original. That and some fresh crossovers will transform them but ultimately they'll be limited in bass response. Later Mansfield cabinets are slightly better (and heavier built) but still not large enough volume-wise for full range duties. Some people remain perfectly happy with the response Mansfields and Lancs give though (50 to 60Hz upwards), so horses for courses. Fettling the Lancs would be where I'd start.

Wakefield Turntables
12-05-2013, 14:09
Hmmmm, whilst I'm not skint I do like the idea of minimising what I spend so I can buy other projects in the future. I'd sooner spend once and get the job done, so it sounds like from general consensus the lockwood cab is the way to go. I have a friend that has a cabinet makers as a contact so I may tap him and see what he can do. I just need to find a plan for the lockwood cabinet!

Reffc
12-05-2013, 15:52
Hmmmm, whilst I'm not skint I do like the idea of minimising what I spend so I can buy other projects in the future. I'd sooner spend once and get the job done, so it sounds like from general consensus the lockwood cab is the way to go. I have a friend that has a cabinet makers as a contact so I may tap him and see what he can do. I just need to find a plan for the lockwood cabinet!

Good luck with that. There aren't many (if any plans) out there unless someone with them is able to help you out. Don't discount the excellent Autograph or York cabinet designs either. Plans are available for those. If you want to consider curved cabs a la the RFC Tannoys, I can give you a few pointers towards design.