PDA

View Full Version : DC2000-Repair or Break

myles
09-05-2013, 16:18
So my good streak came to an end spectacularly with no HF emanating from one of my newly bought Tannoy DC2000s. I have hunted about for an HF unit to replace the one that is now open circuit and on my desk, to no avail. These things are like rocking horse laxative laced with unobtanium.

So, is it worth hanging on on the off-chance that a tweeter will become available, or bite the bullet and break them for spares? I'm sure I'll get my meagre investment back but I really need to know is it worth keeping them with a view to repair. Bear in mind also, I'll need to hump them down south when I move at the end of the month.

Yours,

Frustrated in Northumberland.

PaulStewart
09-05-2013, 16:38
The DC2000s are still a cracking speaker and the amount you are likely to get is way less than the cost of replacing them with something that equals their quality. Tghe cost of a repair will be less than replacement so why not contact Lockwood Audio, the official Tannoy repair and spares people? If you go to http://www.musicosis.co.uk/?p=797 There is a bit about Nick Potter and Lockwood and full contact details

Good luck

Paul S

myles
09-05-2013, 16:58
The DC2000s are still a cracking speaker and the amount you are likely to get is way less than the cost of replacing them with something that equals their quality. Tghe cost of a repair will be less than replacement so why not contact Lockwood Audio, the official Tannoy repair and spares people? If you go to http://www.musicosis.co.uk/?p=797 There is a bit about Nick Potter and Lockwood and full contact details

Good luck

Paul S

Cheers Paul,

I spoke to Lockwood and they have no spares and didnt suggest getting the tweeter repaired either.

PaulStewart
09-05-2013, 17:00
Cheers Paul,

I spoke to Lockwood and they have no spares and didnt suggest getting the tweeter repaired either.

Sorry about that, let me come back to you.

Paul S

myles
09-05-2013, 17:03
Paul, thanks for that. I had a good chat with them and they were very helpful but I can imagine its a heller of a job to fix a fiddly little unit like that, if even possible at all.

synsei
09-05-2013, 17:14
I found these (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lovely-pair-Tannoy-monitor-dual-concentric-8-speakers-type-2025-264060-/151026234436?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudio HiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item2329dd7444) on ebay Myles but you'd have to love these speakers very much to fork out for these drivers. Good seller though ;)

myles
09-05-2013, 17:25
Thanks, it really is a quandary wrapped up in a dilemma!

DSJR
09-05-2013, 18:02
What a great shame if Tannoy no longer stock spares for these. I thought they might still and the DC2000 and 3000 WAS a hugely fun speaker that could do some subtle as well as the bombastic!

Good luck, and it may be worth finding out what other models if any shared the same tweeter module.

myles
09-05-2013, 18:10
What a great shame if Tannoy no longer stock spares for these. I thought they might still and the DC2000 and 3000 WAS a hugely fun speaker that could do some subtle as well as the bombastic!

Good luck, and it may be worth finding out what other models if any shared the same tweeter module.

I spoke to Tannoy in Scotland, had a good chat with the guy in spares and service. He told me I was 18 months too late as the last one had gone then. Shame, but he did give me the number of the guys at Lockwood. As above, had a good chat and he said that another guy had asked the exact same question this morning!
It would be a shame, I dont want to break a set of speakers that could be revived but if there is no tweeter there is no tweeter! The plan was to re-cover them as the veneer is not brilliant but that plan is a long way down the road now.

Audio Al
09-05-2013, 18:17
If you are in no rush , why not put them on the back burner for a month or 2 and keep an eye out on ebay inc ebay USA

Maybe something will pop up ;)

myles
09-05-2013, 18:20
If you are in no rush , why not put them on the back burner for a month or 2 and keep an eye out on ebay inc ebay USA

Maybe something will pop up ;)

This is probably the best way, I bloody hope so. The only thing is that I paid a pittance for them and the condition reflects this. I dont want to spunk a load of cash on a tweeter for a set of speakers that probably will not better my Elas!
Grrr and fkkkkk, it truly is a dilemma encased in a problem surronded by a complex equation.

walpurgis
09-05-2013, 19:05
Yes eBay is the place to find a tweeter. The Tannoy ones crop up every now and then. I suspect the ferrofluid in yours may have dissipated or dried out allowing the coil to overheat and fuse.