View Full Version : Jazz anyone ?

Audio Al
07-05-2013, 18:05
So who like Jazz :D

I am currently listening to an LP

Newport 1958 by

The Dave Brubeck Quartet

Love a Sax , Clarinet , Double Bass , Jazz piano and a crisp sharp Trumpet

and the drums with the ?? " not drumsticks " they have lots of little hair type things :scratch: and make a shhhh sound when rubbed on the drum , Crap description sorry

I like Jazz to a point but the far out arrangements are a bit like a car crash , not welcome :doh:

Ali Tait
07-05-2013, 18:19
Yep, bit of a Jazz fan myself.

vinylspinner
07-05-2013, 18:24
Jazz..............nice.

Nigel

Ali Tait
07-05-2013, 18:29
Prefer the more trad side of things myself, like swing too.

The Grand Wazoo
07-05-2013, 18:29
Even in the wacky world of jazz, a straight stick-like thing with fluff on the end is called a brush Al!

UAtcZPQfg44

Brubeck is great, but sometimes a bit.....well....polite! Sometimes you can't beat a bit of honkin' n' parpin'!

E5zQ08biHew

Thing Fish
07-05-2013, 18:33
Just recently dipped my toe into the jazz pool myself.

Bought all the classics and have been listening steadily ever since.

The only downside thus far has been that after listening to the complexities of Miles et al in full bebop mode I find listening to normal music a bit boring and uninvolving...:scratch:

The upside is that there is loads to discover...:)

Alex_UK
07-05-2013, 18:41
When I wanted to get a bit more seriously into jazz, I started with this resource (http://www.thejazzresource.com/top_25_jazz_albums.html) and listened to all of these 25 albums - I think I ended up buying 90% of them, and there are some seriously good albums here!

I then started exploring other albums from these artists, although to be fair I already had a lot of Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Herbie Hancock, and Sonny Rollins - and a smattering of the others.

I must admit though that I'm generally not a big fan of the improvised or experimental side of jazz that goes on forever... and in any case, jazz is such a fluffy genre description - all sorts of stuff gets lumped under the "jazz" banner that is probably impossible to not like at least some jazz!

I'd recommend some Kenny G for the pishanto collection, Al! ;)

Wakefield Turntables
07-05-2013, 18:44
Yep+1 for Jazz. Even though I'm a complete thrash metal/prog head I love listening to jazz every so often!

The Grand Wazoo
07-05-2013, 18:47
Yes, that's a pretty good list for getting going - plenty of scope for exploring what interests you around those albums.
This box (http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Perfect-Jazz-Collection-Original/dp/B003IY49S4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367952290&sr=8-1&keywords=jazz+box+set) of 25 albums is pretty good value too

The following albums for £35:

1. Louis Armstrong - Plays W.C. Handy: Original Jazz Classics
2. Sarah Vaughan - Sarah Vaughan In Hi-Fi
3. Art Blakey - The Jazz Messengers
4. Billie Holiday - Lady In Satin
5. Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue
6. Dave Brubeck Quartet - TIME OUT
7. Duke Ellingtont meets Count Basie [1999 Remaster]
8. Helen_Merrill & Piero Umiliani Orchestra - Parole E Musica
9. Charlie Mingus - Tijuana Moods
10. Chet Baker - Chet Is Back!
11. Thelonious Monk - Monk's Dream
12. Sonny Rollins - Sonny meets Hawk!
13. Martial Solal - Newport '63
14. Paul Desmond & Gerry Mulligan - Two of a Mind
15. Benny Goodman Quartet - Together Again
16. George Benson & Quartet - It's Uptown
17. Nina Simone - Sings the Blues
18. Art Tatum - Piano Starts Here
19. Erroll Garner - Concert by the Sea + Seattle 1963
20. Herbie Hancock - Head Hunters
21. Stan Getz - The Best Of Two Worlds
22. Jaco Pastorius - Jaco Pastorius
23. Weather Report - Heavy Weather
24. Wynton Marsalis - Marsalis Standard Time
25. Charlie Parker, Monty Alexander, Ray Brown, John Guerin - Bird

Alex_UK
07-05-2013, 18:52
Amazing value! Volume 2 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Perfect-Jazz-Collection-Box/dp/B004Q9SO0O/ref=pd_sim_m_h__1) looks good as well!

The Grand Wazoo
07-05-2013, 18:53
Yes, pretty good, eh?

Rare Bird
07-05-2013, 18:56
Only do late 60's/Early 70's Progressive Jazz

JazzBones
07-05-2013, 21:47
As my moniker indicates I'm very much into Jazz and played drums professionally in this genre many years ago. Used brushes alot too with smaller combos. Dave Brubeck's drummer, Joe Morello, is an idol of mine and I've seen him play live, he could get more rhythms and counter beats using just the standard kit, bass drum, snare, small tom and floor tom, hi hats, ride cymbal and crash than alot of todays drummers using countless drums etc. Have a listen to 'Castillian drums' with Brubeck's quartet. Another influence was Shelly Manne and of course the great Buddy Rich, Louis Belson (Skin Deep), seen them live too. They could really boot a band on. Ah memories are made of this :D

Alex_UK
07-05-2013, 22:01
Al - get Dave Bruebeck's "Take Five" playing through those RAMs - Ron will remember how good mine were with the drums on that track at Scalford last year in the CAC system! :)

Barry
07-05-2013, 22:03
Whoa! Ornette Coleman is not for the noviciate! I listened to 'Free Jazz' over forty years ago - bought a copy- and forty years later I'm still trying to fully appreciate it.

How about some John Handy? 'New View' is a good place to start.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41CswGQyL1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

so is ‘Projections’

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51K9ACjeKkL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

as is his 2nd album:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51n3YDJjloL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The Grand Wazoo
10-05-2013, 17:52
Here you go Al - tonight, the BBC4 schedule (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showpost.php?p=443314&postcount=210) is just for you.

morris_minor
10-05-2013, 18:08
Those jazz sets look awesome!

I'm well into '60s Blue Note and Verve, and have a particular liking for Gerry Mulligan - the ultimate baritone player, and Thelonius Monk. Jim Hall, too, is a favourite along with Paul Desmond - their collaboration on Hall's Concierto (d'Aranjuez) is stunning (but get this on vinyl - the CD sound is dull as ditchwater . .).

Thing Fish
10-05-2013, 18:41
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-iTXO04PmG3E/UY0_ReS6AXI/AAAAAAAAB4U/TSV5_8wNE-M/w250-h249-no/zappa-jazz-is-not-dead-it-just-smells-funny.jpg

Mr Kipling
10-05-2013, 19:33
Saxophonist recommendations wanted.

The sound I'm looking for is the sort of thing that you would hear on early '60s black and white British films accompanying a scene of abandondment/lost love/hopeless situation/rainy afternoon in a grim grey depressed Northern region - that sort of thing.

I have tried a few downloads but not found what I'm looking for. I suppose the nearest I've found is Wes Burden but would like something a bit more vintage-sounding. Somewhat different in style is Sam Butera. Like his fruity raspy sound and collaborations with Louis Prima.

The Grand Wazoo
10-05-2013, 19:44
When I want that sound, I go for Chet Baker's trumpet rather than a sax.
But, for me, Dexter Gordon's ballad interpretations take some beating.

KSUaAkdwC8A

Audio Al
10-05-2013, 19:49
Here you go Al - tonight, the BBC4 schedule (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showpost.php?p=443314&postcount=210) is just for you.

Only just got in so missed half the Dave Brubeck :doh:

Thanks for the heads up :D

Mr Kipling
10-05-2013, 20:05
Thanks Chris. I have tried a few Chet Baker tracks. I remember his albums being reviewed in Hi-Fi Answers. What I've heard though hasn't done it for me. Same with Dexter Gordon. Maybe I've just been unlucky so far. This has taken me back to listening to Alan Dell's show on Radio 2 years ago. He had a really nice presentation style and voice to match.

The Grand Wazoo
10-05-2013, 20:17
How about some Ben Webster then?

VihgeOi0Rn8

Mr Kipling
10-05-2013, 20:23
No. Haven't tried BW. See what I can find. Thanks

The Grand Wazoo
10-05-2013, 20:25
He did some great stuff with Oscar Peterson & Coleman Hawkins.

Barry
10-05-2013, 20:33
How about some Ben Webster then?

VihgeOi0Rn8

Ben Webster -Smoooooooooth, very smooth!

His collaboration with Stan Tracy on 'Soho Nights' is well worth checking out:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51uVU54oU9L._AA160_.jpg http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/516LQ5mbnaL._AA160_.jpg

Tarzan
10-05-2013, 20:40
So who like Jazz :D

I am currently listening to an LP

Newport 1958 by

The Dave Brubeck Quartet

Love a Sax , Clarinet , Double Bass , Jazz piano and a crisp sharp Trumpet

and the drums with the ?? " not drumsticks " they have lots of little hair type things :scratch: and make a shhhh sound when rubbed on the drum , Crap description sorry

I like Jazz to a point but the far out arrangements are a bit like a car crash , not welcome :doh:

A bit strange Al. as enjoyed the " far out" arrangements of The Thirteenth Floor Elavators so much round mine:scratch:

Audio Al
10-05-2013, 20:49
A bit strange Al. as enjoyed the " far out" arrangements of The Thirteenth Floor Elevators so much round mine:scratch:

Did I :scratch: maybe I need another session with 13 F E

Audio Al
11-05-2013, 01:17
Yes, that's a pretty good list for getting going - plenty of scope for exploring what interests you around those albums.
This box (http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Perfect-Jazz-Collection-Original/dp/B003IY49S4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367952290&sr=8-1&keywords=jazz+box+set) of 25 albums is pretty good value too

The following albums for £35:

1. Louis Armstrong - Plays W.C. Handy: Original Jazz Classics
2. Sarah Vaughan - Sarah Vaughan In Hi-Fi
3. Art Blakey - The Jazz Messengers
4. Billie Holiday - Lady In Satin
5. Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue
6. Dave Brubeck Quartet - TIME OUT
7. Duke Ellingtont meets Count Basie [1999 Remaster]
8. Helen_Merrill & Piero Umiliani Orchestra - Parole E Musica
9. Charlie Mingus - Tijuana Moods
10. Chet Baker - Chet Is Back!
11. Thelonious Monk - Monk's Dream
12. Sonny Rollins - Sonny meets Hawk!
13. Martial Solal - Newport '63
14. Paul Desmond & Gerry Mulligan - Two of a Mind
15. Benny Goodman Quartet - Together Again
16. George Benson & Quartet - It's Uptown
17. Nina Simone - Sings the Blues
18. Art Tatum - Piano Starts Here
19. Erroll Garner - Concert by the Sea + Seattle 1963
20. Herbie Hancock - Head Hunters
21. Stan Getz - The Best Of Two Worlds
22. Jaco Pastorius - Jaco Pastorius
23. Weather Report - Heavy Weather
24. Wynton Marsalis - Marsalis Standard Time
25. Charlie Parker, Monty Alexander, Ray Brown, John Guerin - Bird

Looks like I will be going in a new direction with my music
Buying new :eek: any pointer how to do this , do you have to get up at 5am :lol: to do it
Maybe I need to Google " Buying New " :)

WOStantonCS100
11-05-2013, 04:16
Much like classical, I would not even know where to begin; been listening to it all my life. :scratch:

I just got through listening to George Cables - Cables' Vision.

Top three would be:
The Essential Charlie Parker
Return to Forever - Romantic Warrior
Herbie Hancock - Thrust

Then in no particular order and non-exhaustive:
The Astrud Gilberto Album (& The Shadow of Your Smile)
Bob James - One (& Two)
Grant Green - Visions
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew (& Seven Steps to Heaven)
John Coltrane - Black Pearls (& Traneing In / Om "don't even look at this if you don't really want a challenge")
Earl Klugh - Heart String (& Magic In Your Eyes)
Flora Purim - Butterfly Dreams (& Stories to Tell)
George Benson - The Other Side of Abbey Road (& The Shape of Things to Come)
Bill Evans Trio - Sunday at the Village Vanguard (& Waltz for Debby)
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire (& The Inner Mounting Flame)
Donald Byrd Band & Voices - A New Perspective (& Street Lady)
Roy Ayers Ubiquity - Red, Black and Green (& Virgo Vibes)
Joe Pass - Portraits of Duke Ellington
The Manhattan Transfer - Vocalese (& The Spirit of St. Louis)
Jon Hendricks - ¡Salud! João Gilberto, Originator of the Bossa Nova (& Evolution of the Blues Song)
Eliane Elias - So Far, So Close (& Illusions)
Michael Brecker - Don't Try This At Home (& Pilgrimage)
Eddie Harris - Plug Me In (& The Electrifying...)
Jean-Luc Ponty plays the music of Frank Zappa: King Kong (& Enigmatic Ocean)

etc. etc.

More obscure groups/artists:
Wayne Horvitz & Zony Mash
Sex Mob
Dave Fiuczynski
Aquarium Rescue Unit
Wayne Krantz

etc. etc.

I'm gettin' all giggly just typing all this stuff. Time to go back and do more listening. :)

Anti Meep
19-05-2013, 20:51
My two favourite Miles albums so far are Round About Midnight and Tribute to Jack Johnson.
Art Pepper's Among Friends and Meets The Rhythm Section are both great.
Quite like Esperanza Spaldings first release Junjo.
Don Cherry and John Coltrane's Avant Guard is a cracker.
We have a pretty good Jazz show on the local student radio station 95bFm. Pretty sure they stream too. Sundays from midday till two.
Some days I can just play Jazz all day.
Live Jazz is a real treat if its the type of jazz you are into.

Thing Fish
19-05-2013, 22:34
I have just bought -

Charlie Mingus - the black saint and the sinner lady (original vinyl)
Thelonious monk - brilliant corners (70s Japanese pressing)

They are both excellent albums.

You can't go wrong with mingus & monk...:eyebrows:

The Grand Wazoo
19-05-2013, 22:51
You can't ever go wrong with a guy who has an album called 'There's a Mingus Among Us'!

WOStantonCS100
20-05-2013, 01:20

That's a real deep one. I'd almost suggest it for classical music fans, as well. Certainly, might not sit well with "bubble gum jazz" fans, if you know what I mean. Not that there's anything wrong with "bubble gum jazz, per se... ;)

morris_minor
20-05-2013, 08:34
Am a fan of Dave O'Higgins . .

NEX20sshULU

Rare Bird
20-05-2013, 08:49
We seem to have a broad spectrum of Jazz music within these postings...I can't be doing with the older Jazz music.. im only into the Free form/Experimental Progressive Jazz clobber of the late 60's/Early 70's.. Psych/Jazz, Jazz/Rock or what ever pigeon hole you wanna stick it in., but at the end of the day this form of Jazz is all part & parcel of the Progressive Scene back then :eyebrows:

Thing Fish
20-05-2013, 17:41
That's a real deep one. I'd almost suggest it for classical music fans, as well. Certainly, might not sit well with "bubble gum jazz" fans, if you know what I mean. Not that there's anything wrong with "bubble gum jazz, per se... ;)

I played this album 3 times in a row tonight (Black saint and the sinner lady). I just can't seem to get enough of it.

Wonderful sound and arrangements..:)

daytona600
20-05-2013, 21:46
Bit late in life before i finally Got Jazz myself , listen to most of the new ones i get in for stock. Always liked miles davis but the list is growing all the time
listening to a bit of mingus at present on 45rpm 200g " Nice "

Have some very limited editions due in shortly
sketches of spain & waltz with debbie due next month 45rpm DMM 180g £ 19

+ mosaic , blue note , music matters , analogue productions & speakers corners

Thing Fish
21-05-2013, 03:15
Have some very limited editions due in shortly
sketches of spain & waltz with debbie due next month 45rpm DMM 180g £ 19

+ mosaic , blue note , music matters , analogue productions & speakers corners

Hi Scott, I love Music Matters/Analogue productions and Speakers corner records it's just getting up every 10 minuets to change the record over that bothers me...:lol:

They do put out brilliant quality records though...:D The sleeves are to die for...:stalks:

Alex_UK
21-06-2013, 23:12
My Father's Day presents included the two box-sets referred to above (thanks TGW Chris) - and I must say they look amazing in their card sleeve LP replicas - just finished ripping all 50 of them, will be interesting to explore some new albums and seeing if there is any difference between those that I already own. :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Perfect-Jazz-Collection-Original/dp/B003IY49S4/ref=pd_sim_m_h__1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Perfect-Jazz-Collection-Box/dp/B004Q9SO0O/ref=pd_sim_m_h__1

Kember
21-06-2013, 23:32
I have just bought -

Thelonious monk - brilliant corners (70s Japanese pressing)

They are both excellent albums.

You can't go wrong with mingus & monk...:eyebrows:

+1.

And don't forget Curtis Counce! The wildly inappropriate (for the late 50s) album cover contains an excellent album:

http://assets.boomkat.com/images/451323/333.jpg

P

John
22-06-2013, 05:14
I quite like Jazz and been to a few jazz concerts. At the moment I am discovering Sonny Rollins The guy is a master of his craft.
I got into Jazz from learning to play guitar, probably my biggest influence has been Django. Unfortunately his music is badly recorded but I just love how he plays and with only two fingers. I been fortunate enough to see some of the truly greats of jazz guitar
I guess I tend to listen more to Jazz rock, World Fusion and world Jazz. I do have some trad Jazz Be bop and even some Avant garde like John Zorn
Some of my favourite Jazz gigs
Bireli Lagrene at South Bank
Al Di Meola at the Jazz café
Surinder Sandhu at Pizza express
Larry Carlton at Leicester Sq
Mike Stern Bob Berg Marcus Millar and Dennis Chambers Bloody tight band Town and Country
Tommy Tedesco at Pizza express
Martin Taylor doing a tribute to Django
John Maclughlin Al Dimeola and Paco Just awesome
Nyguyen Lee doing his Hendrix tribute

electric beach
22-06-2013, 09:58
I never could get into the widdly widdly stuff but recently I'm thoroughly hooked on some modern chilled jazz. Awesome recording quality and melodies that just get under your skin and haunt you:

Tord Gustavsen - Being There & Changing Places

Ferenc Snetberger - Nomad

Anouar Brahem - The Astounding Eyes of Rita

JazzBones
22-06-2013, 10:19
So glad that you guys came along. Up until now, l felt kind of lonely and thought I was the only bod on here who liked Jazz, this being a rock world nowadays, no probs with that just don't get some of it :scratch:

To me, somehow or other vinyl on Jazz just go together like salt and vinegar on fish'n'chips :)