PDA

View Full Version : Tarby fingered

Thing Fish
07-05-2013, 17:10
Hell fire! Tarby has just been arrested on child sex abuse charges.

Who the hell is next?

I bet all those in the media of a certain age must be crapping themselves...:uhho:

synsei
07-05-2013, 17:26
I have really mixed feelings about this. On the one hand I want to see sex offenders getting their dues, on the other I can't shake the feeling that this has become something of a witchhunt. Celebrities are super vulnerable to accusations of this kind and once made mud sticks, whether that celebrity is guilty or not. I'm not comfortable that the woman only recently came forward twenty years after the alleged abuse took place. I am not being judgemental here, I am just not comfortable with it.

Reffc
07-05-2013, 19:03
:stalks::stalks::stalks:

Pretty shocking really. Those that have something to fear and are guilty of such serious abuse ought to feel the full force of the law catching up with them, and hopefully justice will be done.

There does seem to be a little element of a witch hunt as Dave suggests though. Lets hope that the police have the good sense not to release details of ongoing investigations to the press. It ought to remain innocent unless proven guilty under our current judicial system, not the other way around. That goes for all such circumstances, not just those pertaining to celebrities.

Alex_UK
07-05-2013, 19:09
Well the Tarby allegations are that he abused a young boy - very different from the 'I thought she was over 16' drunken fumbles with girl groupies that some of these allegations have been, and whilst never right, the latter is more excusable than the former, IMO.

Thing Fish
07-05-2013, 23:09
Who's next? Brucy or Sir Cliff...:scratch:

synsei
08-05-2013, 00:23
I have been thinking about all this tonight and frankly I think we are on a hiding to nothing here. The outlook to life back in the 1960's and 70's was very different to what it is now, even for us 'normal' people. We had just come off of a period of Hippydom and free love and in general some younger members of this era were pretty free and easy when it came to relationships and sex. Put that into the mix with a Rock & Roll lifestyle and suddenly it all gets very heady indeed. Many of the screaming fans who trolled around following the likes of The Beatles and The Rolling Stones only had one thing on their minds, to get Mick Jagger and Paul McCartney into bed. Some of these girls were under the age of consent but it would not have stopped them given the opportunity, and I think we can safely say those opportunities must have arisen from time to time. That's not to say there weren't sections of the population who considered it to be very unsavoury, but generally it was put down to experience by the parties involved and treated very much as part of the Rock & Roll lifestyle.

Move on forty odd years and introduce a couple of historical sexual abuse cases which happen to concern some high profile celebrities from this era and all of a sudden we find ourselves at war with the free love culture of the 1960's and 70's. This is not an attempt to justify what Jimmy Saville et al did, for he in particular was clearly a sexual predator of the worst kind, but the danger here is that we risk demonising an historically and culturally important period of our history because a couple of it's minor celebrities went way too far.

I've not put that very well, I know and if I have offended anyone I am truly sorry but hopefully you get the gist of it.

As for the Tarby thing, you are right Alex, I got it all wrong. If the accusations are true then the man deserves to feel the full force of justice however, what happened to 'innocent until proven guilty'?

Firebottle
08-05-2013, 05:58
+1

I've not put that very well,
I think you have put that well Dave, always eloquent:)

:cool:Alan

morris_minor
08-05-2013, 08:13
Now 39 music teachers are under investigation (http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/may/07/manchester-music-schools-teachers-investigation). You have to wonder where this will ever stop?

synsei
08-05-2013, 08:26
Perhaps it is time to think the unthinkable and bring in legislation to limit the period within which such charges can be brought. I fully accept this will not be universally popular but once written into law, victims of such crimes will be aware that they have a set period of time to bring forth their allegations. In my view such legislation will be fairer on everybody.

Clive
08-05-2013, 09:03
I too feel uncomfortable with the witch hunt going back over so many years. Yes, no question for the likes of Saville but some of the rest? To go back so many years super-imposing today's morals on the 60s and 70s seems draconian. What next? Do you go after the film industry and their "casting couch"?

If there's an upside to this it might be that in 15 years we go back in time and jail today's corrupt bankers.

DaveK
08-05-2013, 09:06
IMO this whole scenario may be the inevitable result of the fracturing of the previous cosy relationship between politicians, police, media and celebs. Back scratching being replaced by score settling??

Dave.

Clive
08-05-2013, 09:11
The title of this thread was perhaps not the best choice.....

synsei
08-05-2013, 09:16
The UK will be bankrupt in 15 years Clive, mark my words. Because of the attendant anarchy this will surely spawn your banker bods may find themselves at the pointy end of a gun barrel by then..