PDA

View Full Version : Posting Vinyl -New Package Charges.

Audioman
04-05-2013, 09:04
The Post Office have recently split packets into different sizes. The result is the safe vinyl packaging that Diverse and some others use (that protect from corner bumps) are about a cm too wide and are charged as a medium packet rather than small packet. :steam:

Rare Bird
05-05-2013, 19:36
Id rather pay that bit more tho Paul..

Audioman
05-05-2013, 23:35
Id rather pay that bit more tho Paul..

£6.50 for 2nd class recorded ! This will mean Ebay sellers jacking their postage charges up considerably.

Rare Bird
06-05-2013, 07:03
Other than that I'm trying my best to source sellers other than the Auction place..If the prices are getting that high it maybe better to import from Europe?

rusty bearing
06-05-2013, 07:39
Fortunately we have a 'cave of delights' in Chorley! I've gone off relying on descriptions of condition that vary from scrupulously accurate to award winning fiction.....
A rise in postage like that would have put me right off online buying as well.

Audioman
06-05-2013, 09:10
You can get round it by skimpy packaging, Bought a record that had £2.60 second class postage on it recently - bloody seller was charging £4.50. You just need to keep the packaging just larger than an LP and it saves around £2 on postage which means trimming the protection a bit on some of the better oversize cartons. Check out overseas postage - it's generally much higher. US postage rates have virtually doubled which now makes buying from US ebay sellers too expensive. In many cases postage as much as the LP.

Rare Bird
06-05-2013, 10:55
I buy records from Germany seller ive used for years, he charges Two Euro shipping, never had an ounce of trouble packing wise..

Audioman
06-05-2013, 11:16
I buy records from Germany seller ive used for years, he charges Two Euro shipping, never had an ounce of trouble packing wise..

He's absorbing the shipping into the album cost then. Offering low shipping gets more sales as buyers don't like to think that they are paying extra. Also on Ebay you have to send everything tracked if you have sense. This insures against bogus claims for non delivery.

Rare Bird
06-05-2013, 11:26
No he's not absorbing cost into Vinyl either.

Rare Bird
06-05-2013, 18:19
So how much is this higer postage with additional insurance. as i presently have someone trying to take the pishanti at £9 post for a single gatefold fuzz? ..

synsei
06-05-2013, 19:02
My Hermes might be the answer here. Although it isn't the speediest, the company is now the cheapest for shipping small parcels thanks to Royal Mails ill informed changes.

Audioman
06-05-2013, 20:03
So how much is this higer postage with additional insurance. as i presently have someone trying to take the pishanti at £9 post for a single gatefold fuzz? ..

If it's sent in a standard size mailer I guess around £4.50 to £6.00 recorded depending on 1st or 2nd class. I suppose he can charge extra for packaging but don't see how £9 is justified.

MikeMusic
07-05-2013, 08:00
The Post Office have recently split packets into different sizes. The result is the safe vinyl packaging that Diverse and some others use (that protect from corner bumps) are about a cm too wide and are charged as a medium packet rather than small packet. :steam:
If you can piggy back onto a company account - the franking price is much less
There is now Vat on stamps, so another 20%, brought about by TNT complaining I was told

daytona600
07-05-2013, 09:38
If it helps anybody i only charge £5.00 for Any qty of Vinyl , with tracking & signature

Audioman
12-05-2013, 11:14
Looks like my local Postmistress doesn't understand the new sizes. I was overcharged. Max for small parcel is 45x35x8 cm. She thinks it's 35X35. Will be having a word when I go there tomorrow. :steam: No record mailer should be charged more than small parcel rate.

Audio Al
12-05-2013, 13:29
I posted a single LP the other day , It was classed as a small parcel

1st class £3.00
2nd class £2.60

I went for 1st class ,

It was sent from London to Scotland and arrived the following day