PDA

View Full Version : How do you use AoS?

The Grand Wazoo
01-05-2013, 23:38
For no reason other than the fact that I'm curious, I wonder how other people use the forum?
When I log on, I check what's been going on by clicking on the 'New Posts' button.

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/8388/aosscreenshot.jpg

So is this how you do it, or do you just browse the areas that you know you're most likely to be interested in, by looking at the main menu and going in via specific fora? Or do you have some other method?

Thing Fish
01-05-2013, 23:53
I do exactly the same as you Chris. I click on the 'new posts' button...:)

Ninanina
02-05-2013, 00:04
Oops I've not spotted the New Posts button, I'll use that from now on

I normally look in the Private Exhibitions, just in case there's a bargain I just have to have, which hasn't happened yet :(

Then recently I've been nosing around on the Digital Expressions section and then I'll take a peek at Blank Canvas

I will defo use New Post button now though

AlanS
02-05-2013, 02:02

synsei
02-05-2013, 04:30
New posts mainly. I have a few choice threads which I subscribe to and occasionally I will just browse through looking for things of interest. I steer well clear of the Three Words Daily thread these days as I find it gets my back up more than it makes me smile. I seem to have become more confrontational in my dotage and hints of sexism and perceived acts of injustice tend to wind me up and it does not take much to set me off :eyebrows:

YNWaN
02-05-2013, 06:06
On AoS, in particular, I only ever use the 'new posts' button; but I never subsctibe to threads (not just this forum).

Jonboy
02-05-2013, 06:24
always go to new posts first and see what catches my eye, usually bargains on ebay is my fist click there after

The Grand Wazoo
02-05-2013, 06:25
I've been surprised a couple of times to hear that some people don't know about the New Posts button. So that makes me wonder if there's anyone who doesn't know what this one does.........http://theartofsound.net/forum/images/buttons/firstnew.gif

.....which shows beside each thread.

In case there is someone who doesn't know, if you click it, it will take you to the first post in that thread that you haven't read.

Dave: You can see from my screen shot above, that 'Three Words Daily' isn't my natural habitat either!

prestonchipfryer
02-05-2013, 06:27
New posts. Then I scroll through to see if there is anything of interest to follow and perhaps post on. :)

John

sq225917
02-05-2013, 07:52
I only ever use the 'new posts' button, largely because the names of each section tell you nothing about what is contained within.

kenworthy100
02-05-2013, 08:02
Log in, hit the new posts button and go from there, occasionally I will go to a specific room if there has been a long running thread that I have been reading.

jollyfix
02-05-2013, 08:03
New posts for me too, now and again i will go to the main forum page to check out other things.

Tim
02-05-2013, 08:04
New Posts or Today's Posts everytime for me Chris. I rarely use the arrow button as I have my preferences set for threads to display the most recent post first.

My pattern is normally straight to 'Spinning Today' and then a casual browse through to see if there is anything else that takes my fancy. I read about 10% of the threads in total these days and anything started by people who share the same music tastes as me, or people I have met personally. I do tend to always check out threads if people are posting about their system and have included pictures, those are perhaps my favourite threads after spinning.

Ali Tait
02-05-2013, 08:29
Yup, new posts for me too, as well as checking for PM's.

jollyfix
02-05-2013, 08:49
Didn't we do this a short while back? I seem to remember a thread about using AOS, and saying that i use new posts, others saying the same, some said they don't use new posts.

AlanS
02-05-2013, 09:04
A search may reveal more.

How many NEVER (think to) use search?

YNWaN
02-05-2013, 09:06
I only ever use the 'new posts' button, largely because the names of each section tell you nothing about what is contained within.

To be honest, that is primarily why I use it too.

walpurgis
02-05-2013, 09:33
There are areas I don't have a huge interest in, so I tend to start at 'Blank Canvas' and then move on to other threads. I don't use 'New Posts'. I do use 'Search' though.

walpurgis
02-05-2013, 09:35
On AoS, in particular, I only ever use the 'new posts' button; but I never subsctibe to threads (not just this forum).

Not sure I understand that H.

If you don't subscribe to threads, how did your contribution to this one get here? :)

MikeMusic
02-05-2013, 11:37
Oops I've not spotted the New Posts button, I'll use that from now on

I normally look in the Private Exhibitions, just in case there's a bargain I just have to have, which hasn't happened yet :(

Then recently I've been nosing around on the Digital Expressions section and then I'll take a peek at Blank Canvas

I will defo use New Post button now though
+1 !

Joe
02-05-2013, 14:17
I don't use the 'new posts' option; I go to the couple of areas that are of most interest and scan down for possibly interesting threads.

keiths
02-05-2013, 14:26
I mostly access via Tapatalk these days using the 'Latest' view, but when using my PC, it's 'New Posts' , scan down the lsit of threads and click http://theartofsound.net/forum/images/buttons/firstnew.gif on the ones that interest me, then 'Quick Links' and 'Mark forums read' to tidy up.

Audio Al
02-05-2013, 14:30
I use the New Posts option unless looking for something specific :)

YNWaN
02-05-2013, 15:14
Not sure I understand that H.

If you don't subscribe to threads, how did your contribution to this one get here? :)

What I mean is that I don't use that facility where you can be emailed, or messaged, to say that a thread you have subscribed to has new posts.

morris_minor
02-05-2013, 15:42
User CP to see if there are replies to threads I've subscribed to, then Quick Links > Today's New Posts (which I also have saved in my Chrome bookmarks bar) . . .

Barry
02-05-2013, 17:09
Like most here, I click onto "Today' Posts" if visiting and "New Posts" when logged on. Thereafter, the thread "Spinning Today..." is usually the first port of call visited, then the rest of the new posts. As I don't like to have pages of unread posts awaiting me, I delete all posts I haven't, or don't want to, read.

AlfaGTV
02-05-2013, 18:05
When on the computer; New Posts
On TapaTalk on the iPad; Latest->Participated
I prefer the TapaTalk experience in many ways.
On the PC i tend to visit my own statistics to see which threads i have participated in. Sometimes i browse the Analogue Art and Digital Expressions foras..

Regards //Mike

archiesdad
02-05-2013, 18:55
New posts, I hope that catches all since I last checked in, if not what have I missed.:doh:

Wakefield Turntables
03-05-2013, 07:42
yep new posts for me as well altough I do have subscriptions to some threads.

Alex_UK
04-05-2013, 14:48
New Posts, view latest. Sometimes I will browse and not look at all the threads, then "clear" it by using the "Mark Forums Read" button on the main index page.

Marco
04-05-2013, 15:24
I thought you just dived in and did a search for 'lilac curtains'? :D

Marco.

Alex_UK
04-05-2013, 17:13
I've set up a Google search for that - I get emails every time they're mentioned! :lol: