PDA

View Full Version : FS: Heybrook TT2

ListeningEar
30-04-2013, 22:35
Not sure if this is permitted but I just saw this on flea-bay, I am not connected in any way with the sale but as I have a TT2 and it's such a great deck I thought this might be of interest to someone on here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heybrook-TT2-turntable-/161015858750?pt=Turntable_Parts_Accessories&hash=item257d4b063e

Alex_UK
30-04-2013, 22:38
Not sure if this is permitted but I just saw this on flea-bay

Positvely encouraged, Craig. :) - http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4396&highlight=bargains

mad-moon
01-05-2013, 08:59
Heard one of these at the Scalford hifi show 2012...through some budget gear...exceptionally nice TT and very nice build quality...not sure about £220 buy it now...but if you can win it for £150 :eyebrows:
Not sure if this is permitted but I just saw this on flea-bay, I am not connected in any way with the sale but as I have a TT2 and it's such a great deck I thought this might be of interest to someone on here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heybrook-TT2-turntable-/161015858750?pt=Turntable_Parts_Accessories&hash=item257d4b063e

wiicrackpot
01-05-2013, 09:03
Currently doing up a Thorens TD125, anyone had experience with both?, might be tempted to abandon the TD project if TT2 is better.

shane
01-05-2013, 09:43
That one's been listed three times now at progressively lower starting prices, but people just don't seem to want to bid when the starting price is still higher than they think they might have a chance of getting it for in an open auction. It looks OK, and although I'm no graet fan of the Basik +, the price is fair. Take the arm off and you'll get £70 for it, then you've got a nice TT2 for £150. Bargain!

wiicrackpot
01-05-2013, 11:08
Thanks Shane, will keep an eye on it.

DSJR
01-05-2013, 11:19
Currently doing up a Thorens TD125, anyone had experience with both?, might be tempted to abandon the TD project if TT2 is better.

The TT2 may be better with heavier tracking cartridges, but knowing both (admittedly years apart) I'd almost suggest they'd be pretty similar IF the 125 has a good main bearing - mk2's were inclined to be sloppy with wobble and this kills sonics as it did with the first AR "The Turntable" and the XB77 models.

I like the TD125 very much. With the sponge out of the springs, which may need to be replaced by Linn ones I think (the suspended mass is supposed to be similar I understand) - get at them from the top and not by unscrewing the cups from underneath.... - and regularly replace the belt with a genuine original (the Thakker one *may* be identical although I haven't tried one yet), use either the mk1 multi-ribbed mat or a cork/Achromat style alternative and you may end up with a really nice sounding deck as I did, although don't expect explosive bass or a juicy flavour from your vinyl. The mid and treble should be pretty well as good as the record will allow - in my personal opinion, although I know beobloke didn't like his TD125. oh, and the arm exit cable will need properly dressing and clamped to either the plinth, or tied to the under-chassis plate to give a firm gentle "loop" for the cable for the sprung chassis to work with.

The TT2 is a doddle to set up and use and I'd love to hear one now, with cast sub-chassis (for me anyway) and a modern arm, cartridge and decent power supply for the motor. It was always a great sounding player and could handle the Ittok with ease but without the "bloom" and "fruit" exhibited by the Scottish monster we all love to hate ;)

By all means buy the TT2, but don't give up on the TD125 either just yet, even if the TT2 may be encouraged to move ahead perhaps??? Let us know how you get on:)

wiicrackpot
01-05-2013, 12:09
Thanks Dave,

Most informative, get what you mean about the wobble, the bearing on my 125 seems good but the platter just doesn't seem to run true, :scratch:
didn't know you can get at the suspension from the top, been screwing up and down on the suspension cup trying to get a *Linn* bounce,
have just received a freebie set of springs from ListeningEar here (thanks Craig), will drop them in due course and see what happens.

Think i will take a chance with a TT2, from googled pictures the cast sub frame and the build under the skin seems really good. :)

AlfaGTV
01-05-2013, 14:36
Actually the TT2 on ebay will almost certainly be a Mk I version with the weldeld tubular subchassi. Not that it makes it a bad TT, in any way, but it sounds a little more warm and perhaps with an ounce of coloration more than the Mk II with the cast aluminium subframe.

Dont let this put you off though, it's a great TT!
Regards /Mike

shane
01-05-2013, 17:13
I was wondering about that and couldn't reach a conclusion. My memory's fading. The later power switch (which this one has) came in around the same time as the alloy chassis, but so did the clear lid, (which this one hasn't), so it really could be either. There's no way of knowing without taking off the bottom. If you want to check, ask the seller.

Having had both, my preference is for the earlier steel chassis. Bass is a little fuller (not a bad thing in my system), but I find that it's better at putting tunes and rhythms together. It just bounces along a bit more cohesively to my ears, but the differences are subtle.

wiicrackpot
01-05-2013, 18:31
Actually the TT2 on ebay will almost certainly be a Mk I version with the weldeld tubular subchassi. Not that it makes it a bad TT, in any way, but it sounds a little more warm and perhaps with an ounce of coloration more than the Mk II with the cast aluminium subframe.

Dont let this put you off though, it's a great TT!
Regards /Mike

I was wondering about that and couldn't reach a conclusion. My memory's fading. The later power switch (which this one has) came in around the same time as the alloy chassis, but so did the clear lid, (which this one hasn't), so it really could be either. There's no way of knowing without taking off the bottom. If you want to check, ask the seller.

Having had both, my preference is for the earlier steel chassis. Bass is a little fuller (not a bad thing in my system), but I find that it's better at putting tunes and rhythms together. It just bounces along a bit more cohesively to my ears, but the differences are subtle.
Thanks to both, i was leaning towards the cast chassis one, i'll message the seller and see. :)

AlfaGTV
01-05-2013, 18:31
My assumption that the ebay TT2 has got the steel subframe is based upon my own, identical one.
(Assumed identical i should say;)) They have the same layout on top, same illuminated power switch and the smoky lid.
Of course the intrails may be different, you would definently be the man to reveal those variations Shane! :)

Whether it's a 'better' TT than a TD-125, i would say comes down to preference. To me, the Heybrook walks all over the TD-125 without even breaking a sweat! ;)
I can also relate to the description PetRat gave in his Gallery thread;
"If i want to relax, ill play music on the TD-125"
Nice, calm and perhaps a little sedate... The Heybrook gets your feet stomping to most music!
Best regards/Mike

wiicrackpot
01-05-2013, 18:55
My assumption that the ebay TT2 has got the steel subframe is based upon my own, identical one.
(Assumed identical i should say;)) They have the same layout on top, same illuminated power switch and the smoky lid.
Of course the intrails may be different, you would definently be the man to reveal those variations Shane! :)

Whether it's a 'better' TT than a TD-125, i would say comes down to preference. To me, the Heybrook walks all over the TD-125 without even breaking a sweat! ;)
Nice, calm and perhaps a little sedate... The Heybrook gets your feet stomping to most music!
Best regards/Mike
I've not heard my 125 yet, still trying to get my cheap ebay plinth up to scratch, reason i am tempted on the TT2 is read about them on forums periodically
and like the simplicity of design and it's another project i suppose, :)
like the idea of having a wee play with a belt again for a different presentation after i've gone the Idler route.

shane
01-05-2013, 20:17
There used to be a record book where we wrote the number of each turntable as it was completed and the date, and noted any changes when they were introduced. I wish I knew what happened to it!

wiicrackpot
01-05-2013, 20:32
There used to be a record book where we wrote the number of each turntable as it was completed and the date, and noted any changes when they were introduced. I wish I knew what happened to it!
Shane,

Do i take it your last post as you used to work/made the Heybrook TT2?. :eek:

shane
01-05-2013, 20:43
Worked there, designed the TT2, put quite a few together.

I've been out of the industry since 1984 and over the last couple of years it's been amazing to see the appreciation on this forum for something that I thought had been consigned to the dustbin of history years ago!

wiicrackpot
01-05-2013, 20:51
Huh !!!... thats cool, still waiting on reply, seriously interested now since i could maybe take liberties and nip your brains if i ran into trouble if thats o.k?.

If i do it, it will be mated with a choice of Alphason HR100s or Kuzma Stogi, which would you lean to?.

DSJR
01-05-2013, 21:08
Best regards/Mike

Alll this is subjective of course, and you really have to hear properly set up examples of both to do the job properly.

The TD125 in mk1 form is well over 40 years old now and they weren't two-a-penny as the TD150 and 160 series is, so the pool of setup expertise isn't there. When I read of lengthy suspension setups on the 125 I smiled smugly - until I came to have a go at mine and found one spring bent, possibly deliberately since you can't centre the thing like you can a TD160. I think the 125 is capable of a very good sound, but choice of mat, exit signal cable dressing and suspension setup is crucial. Mine sounded excellent, but without artificial emphasis or overt colouration. Sure, my Decca Microscanner had a bit more "drive" when in the Mentor, but to say the TD125 was bland and sedate doesn't match with my experiences with respect.

The TT2 came after the fruitbox and I'm sure Shane won't mind me saying that many lessons had been learned from early 80's LP12 variability in build and setup. The Heybrook was easier to set up, beautifully engineered and finished where it really mattered and it lacked the LP12 (of the period) colourations. For a relative novice to springy belt drives, I strongly suspect it would be by far the better bet as long as the springs aren't heavily disturbed from the factory setting. Not sure how the suspension springs could cope with a very massy tonearm, but the HR100S would be lovely I think :)

shane
01-05-2013, 21:52
As I just said in a PM to Andy (Wiicrackpot), the original motivation for designing the TT2, which had it's roots in my bedroom before Heybrook started, was because there was no way I could afford a Linn at the time. You're quite right, it wasn't a great leap forward in original thinking, more just my take on the prevailing ideas of the time allied to a bit of common sense. The bit I'm proudest of is the way the suspension was hung from three M6 bolts pushed through three holes in a piece of 18mm MDF. Dead simple, easy to build, easy to use and, as it turns out, very stable.

I'd go for the Alphason too. Most TT2s wwere sold with Linn Basiks (at least until the Rega RB300 came along a few years later), but the Alphason matched the TT2 beautifully. The other arm I'd like to try some day is the original Mission 774 (non-Jelco type), but inevitably as soon as I start looking for one on Ebay the prices start to go stupid.

If the suspension springs are out of alignment I can advise, and I think Guy has some spares if they're bent but that's pretty unlikely. About the only thing that couldn't be replaced would be the rubber spring seats, but they don't seem to deteriorate, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Incidentally, the very earliest TT2s were fitted with adjustable feet made from hex-head bolts screwed into threaded bushes in the corners of the plinth. If yours has these, dump them and fit some fixed rubber feet. They seemed like a good idea but killed the sound.

Mr Kipling
01-05-2013, 21:59
Hi-Fi Answers once did a group review of the Heybrook, Ariston 80 and Thorens 160. The conclusion was that although each had their own strengths and weaknesses, their overall ability was similar.

P.S.
Dave, in the late '70s I did modify a AR XAU and got it to sound little worse than a Thorens 160 with Hadcock, which did have a better cartridge. Hypoid 90 was used in both the platter and arm bearing.

shane
04-05-2013, 21:05
Someone got a bargain!

wiicrackpot
04-05-2013, 22:27
Oh shite !!, was out and late getting in and forgot finishing time, :doh: was it anybody on here?.