PDA

View Full Version : WTD - amplifier for £200 - £250

guyhayton
30-04-2013, 20:47
By my own analysis I need to upgrade my amplifier. I only stream lossless files via a Gatorized Caiman through to some nice little Dali Zensor 1 speakers. These speakers got some excellent reviews here (http://www.stereophile.com/content/dali-zensor-1-loudspeaker) and the amplifier is letting them down I think. I know the source is more than good enough.

The amplifier was a new purchase from Richer Sounds a year ago as it was very convenient at a bad time for me.... its been fine but I believe it is the weak link in the config. Its a Cambridge AM5 (http://www.richersounds.com/product/amplifiers-receivers/cambridge-audio/topaz-am5/camb-topaz-am5-blk)

I was wondering if anyone on AOS had an amplifier going "spare" so-to-speak that would be a big step up for me.... I don't really want to go over £250 but as all things hi-fi I might be tempted :stalks:

Seriously, I was wondering what people may have holding open doors or in cupboards that may help.

Cheers
:cool:

PS: I still have my eyes on that Icon Audio valve-based system, but that will probably be next year... got a house to buy next month :lol:

istari_knight
30-04-2013, 20:55
I think you'll be in for a pleasant surprise when you upgrade! :D

I've got a couple of Arcam's knocking around if you're interested ? An A65+ with remote I could let go for £100+p&p or a Delta 60 which was fully restored last month, just waiting for a new volume potentiometer to be delivered & fitted I could let go for £80+p&p...

Might not be the sort of thing your looking for but you never know :)

Ninanina
30-04-2013, 21:13
I MAY have a NVA AP30 coming up for sale soon

This would be within your budget

myles
30-04-2013, 21:13
I have a Pioneer A400 amp here which Id be willing to let go for £80 plus post.

Ninanina
30-04-2013, 21:19
Myles that's a total bargain

I had one when they first came out; boy that shows my age !!

In my system at the time it didn't quite gel but I know it is a good amp

myles
30-04-2013, 21:25
Yeah, it is a damned good amp. That's the price I bought it for, but I now have a Denon POA2400 power amp doing the damage so the A400 has taken a back seat a little.

DaveK
30-04-2013, 21:26
Hi,
I have a good condition (cosmetically) and excellent working condition Marantz integrated KI amp complete with official certificate but I can't remember the model no. . It's up in the loft ATM but if you might be interested at £200 + shipping I'll let you have the model no. tomorrow.
Cheers,
Dave.

guyhayton
30-04-2013, 21:42
Crikey.... choices, choices so quickly.

I must admit that my knowledge of hi-fi between the years of 1995-2012 is seriously lacking, so I am immediately drawn to the recently serviced Arcam Delta 60 and the Pioneer A400 as they are something I recognise.

Will have to google the others... cheers will be back soon

guyhayton
30-04-2013, 21:46
Hi,
I have a good condition (cosmetically) and excellent working condition Marantz integrated KI amp... I'll let you have the model no. tomorrow.

Now I may be 17 years out of touch, but a Ken Ishiwata "touched" amplifier I know has some provenance. A model number would be helpful.

Cheers... I am amazed by all the options in the last hour. Thank you

DECISIONS DECISIONS DECISIONS

malvai
30-04-2013, 21:58
Wow! All great Amps from the past! Would love to get one of 'em home!

seoirse2002
30-04-2013, 22:17
Marantz also here KI signature with remote...Ill check the model number for you tomorrow...think its 66

DaveK
01-05-2013, 07:58
In view of the competition for your business ;) I thought I'd better let you know that I'm not going to be able to advise the model number until this afternoon but it does have a remote control.
Dave.

theroving1
01-05-2013, 08:07
Well I may as well chip in....

If you are interested My Arcam Alpha 10 integrated (100w per channel into 8ohm or 190w per channel into 4 ohms) is up for grabs.. A great sounding powerful amp. Comes with Logitech Harmony 300 remote (which can control another 3 items too), easy to set up as you just plug into a computer via USB, tell it what equipment you have and it will do the rest!

Top end of your budget though I'm afraid at £240 plus postage.

istari_knight
01-05-2013, 16:07
Crikey.... choices, choices so quickly.

I must admit that my knowledge of hi-fi between the years of 1995-2012 is seriously lacking, so I am immediately drawn to the recently serviced Arcam Delta 60 and the Pioneer A400 as they are something I recognise.

Will have to google the others... cheers will be back soon

I don't think you can go wrong whatever you choose :)

Just so you know the Delta 60 had all its capacitors replaced with high quality Panasonic variants, reservoir capacitors replaced with Nichicon, coupling capacitors upgraded to film type, new silver plated relay, new Alps volume pot. Its good for 80wpc with a quality phono stage built it aswell...

Internal photo showing completed work here: http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/istari_knight9/DSC01366_zps48717ec2.jpg

guyhayton
01-05-2013, 19:43
the Delta 60 had all its capacitors replaced with high quality Panasonic variants, reservoir capacitors replaced with Nichicon, coupling capacitors upgraded to film type, new silver plated relay, new Alps volume pot. Its good for 80wpc with a quality phono stage built it aswell...

James, sent you a PM. After a day of thinking its turned into a clear decision. I always liked the Arcam house-sound (don't laugh) and on the basis this was a great amp in its day and by the sounds of it has been serviced to as-good-as new. At the price (considering I am moving house next month) it would be silly to pass up in my opinion.

Thanks to everyone else, I was honestly amazed on the reaction my punt attracted. All are great amps and I appreciate the help. Will keep people informed as to progress...... if you're interested :)

Alex_UK
01-05-2013, 19:45
Glad you did that Guy - otherwise I was going to send James a cheeky pm! ;)

Got to be worth a go. :)

guyhayton
08-05-2013, 17:49
Just so you know the Delta 60 had all its capacitors replaced with high quality Panasonic variants, reservoir capacitors replaced with Nichicon, coupling capacitors upgraded to film type, new silver plated relay, new Alps volume pot. Its good for 80wpc with a quality phono stage built it aswell...

Internal photo showing completed work here: http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/istari_knight9/DSC01366_zps48717ec2.jpg

Well the Arcam Delta 60 amplifier arrived from James today... last night I cleared out the other amp so it was a quick job to unbox and install.

Well its not even warmed up yet, but already I can tell that there is more bass to the general sound. Will give it more of a listen later when the kids are in bed.

Will put ACDC on loop when I leave the house tomorrow ready for some serious listening when I get home from work.

Cheers to James, thanks

guyhayton
21-05-2013, 21:35
An update...

I was doing my usual lurking on AoS and came across the post that someone was listening now to Mary Black - Babes in the Wood.

Now I haven't listened to this album in years... I mean years. So popped it on the old iTunes and sat down to listen.
Well the Arcam Delta has clearly made a difference to my system.

Okay the Dali Zensor 1s may not be the largest speakers in the world... but boy did they shine with this album. Mary has quite a sibilant voice and this recording is quite closely miked, no loss of control and some excellent resonance on the piano.

James -- you are a gent and you did an excellent recap|service on this old amplifier. I seriously would put this up against anyone with an amp in the £500 region

Wiggywig
28-05-2013, 21:24
I think you'll be in for a pleasant surprise when you upgrade! :D

I've got a couple of Arcam's knocking around if you're interested ? An A65+ with remote I could let go for £100+p&p or a Delta 60 which was fully restored last month, just waiting for a new volume potentiometer to be delivered & fitted I could let go for £80+p&p...

Might not be the sort of thing your looking for but you never know :)

Hi James,

Do you still have that A65+ knocking about? It may be the very thing for my new set up!

istari_knight
28-05-2013, 21:33
An update...

I was doing my usual lurking on AoS and came across the post that someone was listening now to Mary Black - Babes in the Wood.

Now I haven't listened to this album in years... I mean years. So popped it on the old iTunes and sat down to listen.
Well the Arcam Delta has clearly made a difference to my system.

Okay the Dali Zensor 1s may not be the largest speakers in the world... but boy did they shine with this album. Mary has quite a sibilant voice and this recording is quite closely miked, no loss of control and some excellent resonance on the piano.

James -- you are a gent and you did an excellent recap|service on this old amplifier. I seriously would put this up against anyone with an amp in the £500 region

Glad to hear your enjoying it, theres nothing wrong with the Dali's but I reckon the Delta will survive a speaker upgrade or two ! ;)

Hi James,

Do you still have that A65+ knocking about? It may be the very thing for my new set up!

Thanks )

I'm afraid its gone to a new home Helen although I'm sure if you start a new thread in the same vein as this one you'll get lots of offers from AOS members with all sorts of amps !

James :)

Wiggywig
28-05-2013, 22:18
Ah shame...

Thanks James that sounds like a plan :)