PDA

View Full Version : Album Club Week 91: 30.04.2013: Genesis - 'Seconds Out' (1977)

Album Club
30-04-2013, 19:42
This week, Album Club is hosted by Dan (the Man)

Album Club: 30.04.2013: Genesis - 'Seconds Out' (1977)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51jK%2BFKextL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

spotify:album:71E1GUha9EeC0VjAtBokM0

Genesis - 'Seconds Out' (http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/Seconds+Out/235568) on Grooveshark

Wikipedia Entries:
Album: Genesis -'Seconds Out' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seconds_Out)
Band: Genesis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genesis_(band))

One of my all time favourite live albums. The recording is sublime and shows Genesis at the peak of their career. The fabulous drumming of Collins and Chester a combination that shows drumming skill and timing. The reason for me choosing this is it's a great hi-fi tester. I like most eras of Genesis but if you're a fan this is a must have album.

Thank you

Rare Bird
30-04-2013, 20:11
10/10 for me beacuse not only is it a good live recording but the tracks were performed just as good if not better than on the studio albums imho..

Bazil
30-04-2013, 20:16
This was one of my most played albums years ago, its been a long time since it was last played although it has been recently cleaned :D

sparrow
30-04-2013, 20:16
A cracker of an album..one of my all time faves..I have a couple of boots from the same period but the official release is still the best..I would've liked it if they could have expanded it a wee bit in the Live box set but the band wanted it left as it is. I bought this back in 1978 originally while on holiday in the Isle of Man..loved it then and still do. 10/10..

losenotaminute
30-04-2013, 20:17
I'm really looking forward to this album so have just ordered a new 180g vinyl version - it's one of the few Genesis albums I haven't heard yet.

I was just listening to And Then There Were Three, which is one of my favourite Genesis studio albums. I also enjoy all of Phil Collins' earlier solo albums. I have seen 'Thru These Walls' on 'Hello I Must Be Going!' listed as a reference track. If your system can deliver the percussion well you know you have a great setup IMO.

It's going to be a few days of patient waiting before I can add my 2p.

Do you remember the appearance on TOTP (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olCMYRxGbqU)with the pot of paint - following one of his many wives running off with the decorator? A classic I think.

Lawrence

Tim
30-04-2013, 20:28
Oooo, nice pick there Dan :)

Alex_UK
30-04-2013, 20:39
Oooh, do I play it on vinyl, Japanese CD, or FLAC from same... I'm not a massive fan of early Genesis, but I do have everything they've done (I think) on vinyl when I bought a friend of a friend's collection a few years ago, and most on CD too - this is definitely one of their best. Well, apart from we Can't Dance of course, hey Andre? ;)

I'll give it some fresh listens before scoring, but I'm getting a bit behind again so need to catch up on some of the earlier weeks...

MartinT
30-04-2013, 20:42
Well, Seconds Out for me is a true Genesis classic. Despite being post-Gabriel, the performance is nigh on perfect and the sound quality is one of the best live recordings I know. Some songs (particularly Cinema Show) are better versions here than on the studio album.

I rarely give an album 10/10 (because so few deserve to be called perfect) but this one gets it. Superb!

RichB
30-04-2013, 21:13
An easy 9 out 10 for me. As if I need an excuse to give the CD another spin. The only thing which prevents me from giving this a 10 is the weird bass sound. As a bassist myself I've never figured out how they got this sound. It seems anything but live to me and I wonder if some clever dick in the studio was trying to do something too impress his engineer buddies. Anyway, its a minor flaw in an otherwise perfect live album. My second fav live album is The Who's 'Live in Leeds', which is how I like to hear a live bass recorded.

synsei
30-04-2013, 21:45
I don't even have to spin this to give it a 10/10, a cracking album with really excellent dynamics. Excellent choice Dan ;)

sparrow
01-05-2013, 10:28
An easy 9 out 10 for me. As if I need an excuse to give the CD another spin. The only thing which prevents me from giving this a 10 is the weird bass sound. As a bassist myself I've never figured out how they got this sound. It seems anything but live to me and I wonder if some clever dick in the studio was trying to do something too impress his engineer buddies. Anyway, its a minor flaw in an otherwise perfect live album. My second fav live album is The Who's 'Live in Leeds', which is how I like to hear a live bass recorded.

Rutherford sometimes used Bass pedals a bit too much. Sometimes to great effect and somtimes not..

Audioman
01-05-2013, 11:30
The only Genesis album I don't own and have never heard. :(

dantheman91
01-05-2013, 11:40
The only Genesis album I don't own and have never heard. :(

Get yourself on amazon dude you wont be dissapointed..

Rare Bird
01-05-2013, 17:08
The only thing which prevents me from giving this a 10 is the weird bass sound. As a bassist myself I've never figured out how they got this sound.

Rutherford sometimes used Bass pedals a bit too much. Sometimes to great effect and somtimes not..

Corect John..The Moog 'Taurus' Bass Pedals, he used to use Dewtron 'Mr Bassman' bass pedals earlier on..

keiths
01-05-2013, 17:51
I'm not really a Genesis fan - when I was at secondary school, all my mates were into one or more of Floyd, Zep, Yes and Genesis - I loved Floyd and Zep, but couldn't get on with Yes or Genesis. More recently I've been trying their earlier stuff and now quite enjoy Foxtrot ans Selling England By The Pound.

Anyway, according to my collection list on Discogs, I own a copy of 'Seconds Out' on vinyl - god knows when I bought it - but I've just located it in the 'to be cleaned' pile, so will give it my first ever listen soon.

Tim
02-05-2013, 21:19
There was a time when there was only one band for me and it was Genesis, but that candle went out when Gabriel left and they became a band I still enjoyed, but the halcyon days had gone. I do like this, but I don't think it deserves a 10 - there's only one Genesis album I can give 10/10 to and that's The Lamb, which would go to a desert island with me. All the other Gabriel era recordings get a 9.

Listening to this today I can only give it 8/10 as I really can't stand to listen to Phil Collins anymore, I would probably have given it more in 77' but not now. Still a good album though and it was fun to listen to it again, as it's been years since I last played it ;)

Bazil
03-05-2013, 18:09
Great to play this again after so long, my favorite Genesis song is The Musical Box and Phil does justice to the closing section . 10/10

Audioman
07-05-2013, 19:51
Have a used (hopefully mint) copy on order - puzzled why so many 10/10. Only Selling England and Trick of the Tail could come close to that for me.

losenotaminute
07-05-2013, 20:24
My 180gm vinyl copy arrived today in the post. Not had time to listen to it all yet but I agree the quality of the recording is very high for a live gig. Needs to played loud IMO to be fully appreciated. Very much looking forward to a full listen-through this week.

AlfaGTV
08-05-2013, 10:15
At risk of repeating myself; This was one of my first albums bought for own savings! And it is definently my most played album ever...
Stll playing it regularly and enjoying it, and i have a variety of issues, both CD and Analog.

To me a very clear 10 pointer!
Regards /Mike

MartinT
08-05-2013, 10:47
Yep - Selling England and Trick of the Tail are also 10/10 albums for me, but they don't negate Seconds Out from being one of the best live albums ever.

sparrow
08-05-2013, 15:36
I got the reissue 180 gm LP last week...stunning ..but..at the start of side 3 there is a tiny flaw which causes a loud tick for almost 2 minutes..spoils it but am keeping it.

Tim
08-05-2013, 16:22
but they don't negate Seconds Out from being one of the best live albums ever.
Hmmm, don't agree with that at all Martin, but each to their own ;)

I am scratching my head a little over at the 10/10's TBH, is it to do with 'how it sounds' or the musical content of the performance?

MartinT
08-05-2013, 16:50
I am scratching my head a little over at the 10/10's TBH, is it to do with 'how it sounds' or the musical content of the performance?

In my case, both of course. Otherwise it wouldn't score so highly. It has regularly featured in my playlist over the years and is often a first choice if I want to put some Genesis on, getting about equal ranking with Selling and Trick.

Tim
08-05-2013, 17:04
Another example I reckon in how I listen to music, I am it seems the odd man out again - still nothing new there :lol:

MartinT
08-05-2013, 17:10
We all listen differently, Tim. I learned that many years ago when I get enthusiastic about an album or song and others just don't see it. The reverse can be equally true. It's the way that music touches and connects that's fascinating.

AlfaGTV
08-05-2013, 18:37
I got the reissue 180 gm LP last week...stunning ..but..at the start of side 3 there is a tiny flaw which causes a loud tick for almost 2 minutes..spoils it but am keeping it.

Ouch, right in the "best" track of the album! This version of Supper's Ready gives me goosebumps practically every time i play it!
Not an option to return it for a mint sample?

Rare Bird
08-05-2013, 18:53
We all listen differently, Tim. I learned that many years ago when I get enthusiastic about an album or song and others just don't see it. The reverse can be equally true. It's the way that music touches and connects that's fascinating.

Thats true, however id probably put Hawkwind 'Space Ritual' as my number one live album

:eyebrows:

losenotaminute
08-05-2013, 19:07
I've now had a chance to listen all of the way through a couple of times. There are a number of tracks I really like but although the sound quality is excellent I think the album lacks a bit of the 'sense of occasion' that you get with other live albums. I believe that The Who 'Live in Leeds' is meant to be a benchmark but I haven't managed to find a vinyl copy for a reasonable price yet.

My favourite live album is Bruce Springsteen 'Live 1975-1985', but it's not just one concert but several so I'm not sure that is a fair comparison.

I think I will give this an 8, although I suspect it will grow on me the more I play it.

Tim
08-05-2013, 19:17
although the sound quality is excellent I think the album lacks a bit of the 'sense of occasion' that you get with other live albums.
Couldn't have put it better myself ;)

Barry
08-05-2013, 19:42
Sadly I'm unable to enter into this discussion. Anything by Genesis is to me, as Kryptonite is to Superman! :(

Rare Bird
08-05-2013, 20:23
Sadly I'm unable to enter into this discussion. Anything by Genesis is to me, as Kryptonite is to Superman! :(

:lol: im same with most the stuff people listern to :eyebrows:

MartinT
08-05-2013, 20:32
Thats true, however id probably put Hawkwind 'Space Ritual' as my number one live album

I love Space Ritual, Andr'e, and play it quite often. You couldn't put your hand on your heart and say it's a great recording, though :(

MartinT
08-05-2013, 20:35
If we're talking about great live albums, then one that's closer to the thread topic is Peter Gabriel Plays Live. Now that's a stonking album in all respects.

Rare Bird
08-05-2013, 20:38
Aye true regarding SQ.. just a brilliant atmosphere..

Have you got the 'Space Ritual Volume 2' that came out in the mid 80's ?

MartinT
08-05-2013, 20:45
No - thanks for reminding me that I was going to look it up. Worth buying?

Rare Bird
08-05-2013, 22:09
Aye if you love the original SR you love this..

Audioman
10-05-2013, 11:34
Having listened to a disappointingly noisy copy I still would give this an 8/10. The performances are excellent but SQ is a little thin and bass shy. This makes the performance rather clinical and matter of fact except for the drumming. Anybody notice that Steve Hackett is almost entirely mixed out. Apparently some of the problems have been corrected on the new mix according to reports on the Hoffman forum, so I will likely order a copy. I am wondering if the surface noise on quiet sections and start of each side is down to poor pressing quality on the originals. Much of it plays fine but had to give up halfway through 'Suppers Ready' due to the background crackle.

MartinT
10-05-2013, 11:46
My early pressing of SO has very low surface noise.

sparrow
10-05-2013, 12:00
Sent my copy back to Amazon..they already sent me a new copy should be here tomorrow. Appart for the flaw on side 3 the records wer every quiet and sounded excellent.

Audioman
10-05-2013, 12:07
Sent my copy back to Amazon..they already sent me a new copy should be here tomorrow. Appart for the flaw on side 3 the records wer every quiet and sounded excellent.

You should wait for the replacement before returning anything to Amazon. Have had to mix and match in the past with double LPs. You have 30 days before you get charged. This is why I can put aside my scruples over them being tax dodgers.

sparrow
10-05-2013, 15:44
You should wait for the replacement before returning anything to Amazon. Have had to mix and match in the past with double LPs. You have 30 days before you get charged. This is why I can put aside my scruples over them being tax dodgers.

Phuche...:doh:never thought of doin that:mental:

Rare Bird
10-05-2013, 19:05
i get pissed orf the amont of defecst im getting with new official vinyl. :steam:

Patrick Dixon
12-05-2013, 11:05
I saw Genesis twice on this particular tour and for me this album was always a disappointment because it doesn't come close to my memories of the actual gigs.

So I can only give it a 7.

Rare Bird
12-05-2013, 12:40
Patrick thats a silly comment don't you think! So you actually expect a stereo system (no matter how spectacular) to sound & give the same atmosphere as a large scale live performance, particularly a live recording?

Patrick Dixon
12-05-2013, 17:20
No I don't think so. I have seen other live performances and I still enjoy the records, but I looked forward to this LP at the time and was hugely disappointed. 35-ish years later I still think it sounds pretty flat.

Alex_UK
14-05-2013, 11:49
Well I've tried again, but I still can't see what all the fuss is about... At the risk of getting tarred and feathered, if I'm going to listen to Phil Collins fronted Genesis then I'd rather listen to Genesis or Invisible Touch as they are much more my era. I can see that maybe if you'd grown up with the earlier albums you would love this, but it just doesn't blow me away I'm afraid, and so only gets a 6. Sorry.

keiths
28-05-2013, 15:22
I'm afraid after listening to my vinyl copy I can only score a 6/10. I prefer the original versions of the Gabriel era songs and as I mentioned before, Genesis are some way from being a favorite of mine in any guise.

Rare Bird
28-05-2013, 15:48
Don't worry chaps 45% seem to think it's brilliant.

The Grand Wazoo
24-06-2013, 23:32
How did I forget to post my vote here? I did play my old vinyl copy a couple of times.
Twenty years ago, I would have placed a very different score for this one - it would have been a 9 or 10, but nowadays, I'm afraid Genesis just bore me. Maybe it's due to an over-exposure to them in an earlier part of my life. Maybe I'll rediscover them in a few years, but right now it's just a 6/10.

pjdowns
14-09-2013, 15:07
Not a massive Live album fan and this is no exception I'm afraid :(