PDA

View Full Version : I should have tidied up a bit.

stairpost
29-04-2013, 19:01
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn169/stairpost/b8227f89-92ac-461a-a5bc-bc4894e66d33.jpg?t=1367261710

My Linn LK set up.

I really enjoy it and find myself buying more music than ever.

As the title says I should have got the vacuum out first

A good but cheap stand is my next priority.

synsei
29-04-2013, 19:11
You'd feel tons better about your place if you could take a peek at mine just now... :eyebrows:

Nice setup by the way ;)

wiicrackpot
29-04-2013, 19:12
Didn't notice the floor till you mentioned, eyes were firmly on the kit. :cool:

Whats the stand and that umbilical chord behind your speakers?. :eek:

stairpost
29-04-2013, 19:17
You'd feel tons better about your place if you could take a peek at mine just now... :eyebrows:

Nice setup by the way ;)

Cheers! for both comments :)

Thing Fish
29-04-2013, 19:18
Very neat and tidy.

stairpost
29-04-2013, 19:21
Didn't notice the floor till you mentioned, eyes were firmly on the kit. :cool:

Whats the stand and that umbilical chord behind your speakers?. :eek:

The stand is a homemade DIY job. It isn't really sturdy enough though.

Do you mean the K400 speaker cable? it's a monstrous bi-wire cable that I gave up all hope of ever hiding away :)

Andrei
30-04-2013, 04:48
Ban him, ban him. I need therapy after looking at that floor. :ban:

AlfaGTV
30-04-2013, 05:24
Very nice Rich! Looks purposeful and, i'm sure, sounding good!
(Personally i have never heard a complete Linn kit)
More pics of the vinyl spinner, please? :ner:

Regards Mike

stupinder
30-04-2013, 15:22
Very similar to what I had about 3 or so years ago....although I was "made" to sell the turntable. Looks great!
Your floor is immaculate when compared to mine!!

stairpost
01-05-2013, 18:54
Thanks for all the nice comments.

A ban seems a little harsh but fair shout :)

I look forward to spending too much time on here :)

jason
02-05-2013, 15:32
Thats a classy looking set up Rich love the linn stuff :)

stairpost
03-05-2013, 15:18
A slightly blurry closer pic of the deck.

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn169/stairpost/DSC_0106.jpg

stairpost
03-05-2013, 15:21
Thats a classy looking set up Rich love the linn stuff :)

Cheers. The Linn LK stuff does look and sound good. I think it's great value at the prices it goes for 2nd hand too.

The Grand Wazoo
03-05-2013, 20:43
Excellent!
I see that just like me, you've got one of those 'Randomly Distributed Micro-Mass Particle Tuning Systems' for your tonearm.
My room is dusty too!

stairpost
03-05-2013, 20:49
Excellent!
I see that just like me, you've got one of those 'Randomly Distributed Micro-Mass Particle Tuning Systems' for your tonearm.
My room is dusty too!

It's easier and quicker for me to keep adjusting the platter suspension to account for the extra weight than to try to keep the dust off :)

The Grand Wazoo
03-05-2013, 20:56
That's the spirit!

southall-1998
03-05-2013, 21:05
Always liked the Linn Keilidhs. Good speakers!!

AlfaGTV
03-05-2013, 21:55
Please dont take this personally, but what is wrong with you english people? ;)
What on earth made you all insert the bolts to fasten the cartridge from BELOW?
There are absolutely no good reason to, whatsoever... Besides making it near impossible to fasten them, on all headshells but the detachable one's, i looks really untidy and half done! :)
So there, rant over! :)

A beautiful deck and as a proud previous owner of an LP12 i can truly appeciate their sound! Valhalla, Circus?
Best regards from cold Sweden (Where we insert bolts from the top, in all imaginable ways!)

//Mike

Alex_UK
03-05-2013, 21:59
Please dont take this personally, but what is wrong with you english people? ;)
What on earth made you all insert the bolts to fasten the cartridge from BELOW?

Perhaps we like a stiff upper thread? ;)

AlfaGTV
03-05-2013, 22:08
:lol:

That was a very quick answer Alex! And a good one!

Alex_UK
03-05-2013, 22:11
I do have to agree with you though Mike, I don't think I've ever done it "nuts up" so to speak. ;)

The Grand Wazoo
03-05-2013, 23:02
I'm sorry Mike, but you are so, so wrong in this case.
There's a very good reason for the way those nuts & bolts are arranged the way they are. The headshell has recessed slots and the flats of the nuts are effectively held captive against the sides of the recess. This means you can do them up with just an allen key from the underside and you don't need to hold the nuts in place from above because the headshell is already doing it for you.

If there is a British trait exposed here, then it's the recognition of simple, excellent and very clever engineering design.

wiicrackpot
04-05-2013, 07:10
Must agree with Mike and Alex, i absolutely abhor the sight of nuts up and protruding rod method, :vomfest:
nuts for me even if i have to hunt down the right length of bolt for the cart depth.

UV101
04-05-2013, 07:22
I must admit, I have my nuts pointing downwards most of the time................... :D

stairpost
04-05-2013, 11:51
I must say nuts down does look neater, but I agree with Chris. The way the headshell is set up it just makes sense to put the bolts in upwards.

stairpost
18-05-2013, 15:22
Not a major change but in my box swapping and search for the right rack I seem temporarily to be the owner of the world dinkiest system :)

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn169/stairpost/DSC_0177.jpg

Anti Meep
18-05-2013, 21:27
I love the older Linn gear. I've never had the fortune to ave a listen though:doh:
The worlds dinkiest system looks damn fine mate.
When I was an apprentice mechanic back a few decades, my first boss absolutely hammered into me the necessity of symmetry and tidiness. In other words... Where possible all nuts should be out of sight or "underneath". Always is aesthetically better looking at clean bolt heads than differing lengths of thread and nuts and washers.
So I am a bit pedantic when it come to this sort of thing:doh:
Still if the nuts are meant to be on top of the Linn arm, then I've just got to chill:lol:

stairpost
19-05-2013, 14:35
I love the older Linn gear. I've never had the fortune to ave a listen though:doh:
The worlds dinkiest system looks damn fine mate.
When I was an apprentice mechanic back a few decades, my first boss absolutely hammered into me the necessity of symmetry and tidiness. In other words... Where possible all nuts should be out of sight or "underneath". Always is aesthetically better looking at clean bolt heads than differing lengths of thread and nuts and washers.
So I am a bit pedantic when it come to this sort of thing:doh:
Still if the nuts are meant to be on top of the Linn arm, then I've just got to chill:lol:

If you were a bit closer I'd say pop in for a cuppa and a listen :)

It is really nice kit, especially for the money.

I just don't understand the hi-fi box swap bug. My system does sound lovely and I am buying music pretty much weekly. What I don't understand is why I need to fiddle with it and wonder what else I could have. Or believe I hear a top end I'm not 100% happy with. Years ago I had a Rega Planar 2, a Musical Fidelity A2 amp and a pair of Dynaudio BM5 monitors. I remember that being the happiest I have been with a system and it cost a quarter of this one. I had it for ages and wonder why I don't feel the same with my current set up as I'm sure side by side this one would sound a shed lot better. Very odd.

DSJR
19-05-2013, 14:53
That Karik really does need a Numerik to go with it you know ;)

stairpost
19-05-2013, 14:58
That Karik really does need a Numerik to go with it you know ;)

I know. It is on the top of my to buy list. Just after a rack :)

Marco
21-05-2013, 06:54
Not a major change but in my box swapping and search for the right rack I seem temporarily to be the owner of the world dinkiest system :)

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn169/stairpost/DSC_0177.jpg

Nice! The above is from an era (late 80s/early 90s) when Linn made some fantastic gear (including your Keilidhs), before, sadly, things went 'tits up'. The Karik/Numerik is one of my favourite vintage CDPs :)

Marco.

stairpost
21-05-2013, 19:04
Nice! The above is from an era (late 80s/early 90s) when Linn made some fantastic gear (including your Keilidhs), before, sadly, things went 'tits up'. The Karik/Numerik is one of my favourite vintage CDPs :)

Marco.

Hi Marco,

It is great kit, Superb VFM, and lovely styling.

I am saving for a Numerik but it might be a while. The joys of being a mature student :)

Rich.

stairpost
10-02-2015, 19:35
It's been a while and there has been a pretty much complete change in kit so I thought I should update the pic.

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn169/stairpost/IMG_0684.jpg

walpurgis
10-02-2015, 19:50
Very neat. Is that a pair of the rather rare Cura CA5 speakers? Looks like it. I used to have some.

stairpost
10-02-2015, 19:57
Very neat. Is that a pair of the rather rare Cura CA5 speakers? Looks like it. I used to have some.

Thanks, It does all sit neatly together, they are Cura CA10s, my second pair, as soon as I sold the first pair I regretted it and it took about 3 years till this pair came up.