PDA

View Full Version : Hello.

stairpost
28-04-2013, 12:25
Hi,

From what I have seen so far this looks like a great forum. I'm looking forward to exploring it further.

I have an all Linn set up with LK kit. Sources are LP12 and Karik (which I enjoy very much). But I'm very interested in views on different kit and set ups.

Not bitten by the streaming bug so I'm not really interested in going in that direction anytime soon.

I mostly listen to Funk/Soul/Jazz, dub and roots reggae, film soundtracks and good heavy downtempo stuff.

cheers

Rich.

trio leo
28-04-2013, 13:16
Welcome to AoS Rich,
nice to see another vinyl spinner, enjoy the forum, lots of helpful enthusiasts here,

regards Al

The Grand Wazoo
28-04-2013, 13:33
Hi Rich,
Welcome to AoS.
What amps and speakers do you use? The Gallery (http://theartofsound.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14) is a good place to go for nosing around other peoples gear!

stairpost
28-04-2013, 14:26
Thanks to you both for the welcome.

Al, I think it'll be a while before I want to give up vinyl, can't beat it.

Chris, I use a Wakonda and a pair of LK100s to drive passive Keilidhs.

The gallery is one of the things that tempted me to join. I love having a good nose through pics of systems. I really enjoy the variation in peoples set ups.

regards

Rich

Puffin
28-04-2013, 16:13
Hi,I mostly listen to Funk/Soul/Jazz, dub and roots reggae, film soundtracks and good heavy downtempo stuff.

cheers

Rich.

Welcome. Sounds like you like what I like:D

What are you listening to lately?

Have you tried 7 Dub, Loopless or The Police in Dub?

Lately I arrve been mostly listening to Lemongrass and Alien Café, Alien Chatter (err no - I am not an alien, just a coincidence:D) Moving Without Travelling.

Rob.

stairpost
28-04-2013, 18:11
Hi Rob,

Not heard any of those. I shall google!

I'm listening to a lot of classic dub and roots. King tubby, Lee Perry, Scientist, Horace Andy, Barrington Levy, Augustus Pablo, Loving the Stalag riddim and How the west was won by Rankin Toyan at the moment.

For soundtracks, pretty much anything Schifrin, really into blaxploitation and classic spy style stuff.

Funk/soul/jazz, Well that would be a whole thread by itself :)

cheers

Rich

Thing Fish
28-04-2013, 18:15
Welcome Rich...:wave:

stairpost
28-04-2013, 18:29
Welcome Rich...:wave:

Hi Dave, Thanks. :)

losenotaminute
28-04-2013, 18:35
Hi,

From what I have seen so far this looks like a great forum. I'm looking forward to exploring it further.

I have an all Linn set up with LK kit. Sources are LP12 and Karik (which I enjoy very much). But I'm very interested in views on different kit and set ups.

Not bitten by the streaming bug so I'm not really interested in going in that direction anytime soon.

I mostly listen to Funk/Soul/Jazz, dub and roots reggae, film soundtracks and good heavy downtempo stuff.

cheers

Rich.

Hi Rich, what arm and cartridge do you have on your LP12?

Lawrence

stairpost
28-04-2013, 18:39
Hi Rich, what arm and cartridge do you have on your LP12?

Lawrence

Hi Lawrence,

It's a pretty basic spec deck but I'm amazed at how nice it sounds. I have an Akito and a Grado prestige gold.

Rich.

losenotaminute
28-04-2013, 18:47
Hi Lawrence,

It's a pretty basic spec deck but I'm amazed at how nice it sounds. I have an Akito and a Grado prestige gold.

Rich.

Rich

That's the important thing after all!

I have just replaced my Asaka with a Dynavector cartridge and am not blown away. I need to give it a few more hours to see if it settles in further, and try some tweaking. The Asaka sounded wonderful despite having more limited mechanical abilities.

+1 for pictures please.....

Lawrence

Alex_UK
28-04-2013, 22:37
Hi Rich, welcome from me too. I enjoy a good "blaxploitation" soundtrack now and then, (Across 110th Street probably being my favourite) and a bit of dub sometimes, but I'll check out some of your suggestions. :)

Hope you enjoy AoS. :)

Anti Meep
29-04-2013, 03:55
Hey Rich. Welcome. LP12...nice. Grado Gold...loverly:D
Craig.

stairpost
29-04-2013, 19:07
Hi Rich, welcome from me too. I enjoy a good "blaxploitation" soundtrack now and then, (Across 110th Street probably being my favourite) and a bit of dub sometimes, but I'll check out some of your suggestions. :)

Hope you enjoy AoS. :)

Hi Alex,

Across 110th street is on my to buy list. Some nice stuff on it.

My favourite is probably Black Caesar.

cheers

Rich

stairpost
29-04-2013, 19:08
Hey Rich. Welcome. LP12...nice. Grado Gold...loverly:D
Craig.

Hi Craig,

Thanks.

I am very happy with everything at the moment, which is quit a novel joy as I am terrible for box swapping :)

cheers

Rich.

stairpost
29-04-2013, 19:14
Rich

That's the important thing after all!

I have just replaced my Asaka with a Dynavector cartridge and am not blown away. I need to give it a few more hours to see if it settles in further, and try some tweaking. The Asaka sounded wonderful despite having more limited mechanical abilities.

+1 for pictures please.....

Lawrence

Hi Lawrence,

I always understood the Asaka to be a really nice sounding cartridge. Hope you get your Dynavector issues resolved.

If I have done it right I have just put a kit pic up in the gallery.

cheers

Rich.

losenotaminute
29-04-2013, 19:28
Hi Lawrence,

I always understood the Asaka to be a really nice sounding cartridge. Hope you get your Dynavector issues resolved.

If I have done it right I have just put a kit pic up in the gallery.

cheers

Rich.

Thanks Rich. I've done some tweaking and listened to a lot of music over the weekend and the Dynavector has definitely improved since it was first out of the box. To be fair the dealer said it would take a good few hours. I also swapped the cables around at the back of the pre-amp so the TT goes into a different input and for some reason that seems to have made a difference, probably a less than perfect contact previously or it might just be my imagination :scratch:

I'm now back to where I was with the Asaka, but with much better tracking ability so overall quite happy.

I'll pop over to the Gallery....