PDA

View Full Version : RFC-MC1 Step-up Transformer

Reffc
27-04-2013, 16:01
RFC's new high quality Step up transformer is now nearing completion (the prototype that is) and I aim to be in full scale production with these within a month or two!

Please let me know if you would like to take part in a trial. Seasoned members only to start with please (shall we say a post count of 100 or more?).

The MC1 is one of two new units due out in the coming months. It uses a very high quality pair of SUTs which deliver a flat response from 5 Hz to over 20KHz within 0.5dB throughout the entire range. Step up ratio is 1:10 so they'll suit carts with output voltages of 0.3mV to 0.8mV and self impedances of 40 Ohms
or under.

The SUT's are loaded for 100 Ohms if used into a standard RIAA phonostage on the MM setting. This should suit a majority of MC carts on the market but I can custom load these for any value at no extra cost.

The MC2 is a very special very high performance SUT due out in a few months. It will use exceptional quality transformers, the highest quality internal wiring, RCA sockets, and very high quality resistor networks. Gain will also be 1:10.

Prices have yet to be announced but expect exceptional value for the performance in a "plug and play" high quality box.

Wakefield Turntables
27-04-2013, 16:16
rfc's new high quality step up transformer is now nearing completion (the prototype that is) and i aim to be in full scale production with these within a month or two!

Please let me know if you would like to take part in a trial. Seasoned members only to start with please (shall we say a post count of 100 or more?).

The mc1 is one of two new units due out in the coming months. It uses a very high quality pair of suts which deliver a flat response from 5 hz to over 20khz within 0.5db throughout the enntire range. Step up ratio is 1:10 so they'll suit carts with output voltages of 0.3mv to 0.8mv and self impedances of 40 ohms
or under.

The sut's are loaded for 100 ohms if used into a standard riaa phonostage ion the mm setting. This should suit a majority of mc carts on the market but i can custom load these for any value at no extra cost.

The mc2 is a very special very high performance sut due out in a few months. It will use exceptional quality transformers, the highest quality internal wiring, rca sockets, and very high quality resistor networks. Gain will also be 1:10.

Prices have yet to be announced but expect exceptional value for the performance in a "plug and play" high quality box.

yes count me in!

Tarzan
27-04-2013, 16:58
l am in already!:cheers:

Reffc
27-04-2013, 17:12
I take it the big red letters mean "keen" to take part? :lol: Consider yourself counted in Andrew!

Andy
would you mind PM'ing me or emailing me your contact details again please?

hifi_dave
27-04-2013, 17:14
I've already got my name down.:exactly:

Ammonite Audio
27-04-2013, 17:39
Please count me in too!

Reffc
27-04-2013, 18:08
Please count me in too!

Counted.

Just need your contact details!

Reffc
29-04-2013, 17:31
(Drum roll....)...the prototype MC1 Step Up Transformer will be posted to the first person on the trials list tomorrow. Picture:

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n577/24pacman/RFC%20Cables/_MG_6807_zpsb1680e9c.jpg

A few minor details may change for the production model including:

Input RCA's...these are currently closer spaced than the output sockets to allow more "fiddle" space around the ground binding post. I'll probably move this to the centre and use a symmetrical layout;

Model Designation Badge: This may move the the rear panel so it's visible when viewed from the normal position (remembering that the sockets are likely to be faced to the rear) but I'll poll opinion.

This particular prototype measures very very well indeed (almost flat from 20Hz to 20KHz) and THD is less than 0.05% so practically negligible.

I have loaded it for 100 Ohms seen at the cartridge. Sound quality seems to be very good indeed when compared with my EAR 834P Signature's in-built SUT. More detail and life to the RFC-MC1 :cocktail:

myles
29-04-2013, 18:02
That looks very nice, Paul!

Reffc
29-04-2013, 18:55
Thanks Myles. It needs a little polish still to be good enough for sale but all retail units will be to a high standard.

MCRU
29-04-2013, 19:26
I get a bollocking off our lord and master for not putting prices in my trade threads, so where is your price dude? :ner:

Wakefield Turntables
29-04-2013, 19:32
I should have thought a prototype wouldn't have a price as technically it's still WIP :scratch:

MCRU
29-04-2013, 19:34
If it's in the trade section it needs a price chief, otherwise it should be posted elsewhere. :)

myles
29-04-2013, 19:36
If it's in the trade section it needs a price chief, otherwise it should be posted elsewhere. :)

But it isn't finished. The finishing touches could in theory add another £50 to the price, therefore making the prospective buyer a tad peed off.

hifi_dave
29-04-2013, 19:38
As I understand, it is in the 'advanced prototype' stage and prices have yet to be finalised.

Reffc
29-04-2013, 20:07

It's a trial and I am not yet offering this for sale; Technically as I am not yet selling the unit, it doesn't require a price. I am offering a free trial to gauge interest. If interest is there following the trial I will be manufacturing them and a cost will indeed be posted. It's not very sporting for one dealer to be jumping on another over something like this and really not necessary. I'm sure that one of the mods will let me know if I need to amend this offer of a trial (and if I've done something here that I shouldn't, I'll most certainly abide by whatever the mods say, no problems. If it shouldn't be here, perhaps one of the mods would like to move the thread?). Happy to include you on the list if you want to try the prototype unit though :)

Reffc
30-04-2013, 18:36
I have the SUT all packed up now ready to post to the first lucky guinea pig:carrot:

There are currently 11 people taking advantage of the trial:

1. Non AoS member
2. petrat;
3. HifiDave;
4. Tarzan;
5. Vinylspinner;
6. non-AoS member
7. REXTON;
8. Non AoS member
9. Shuggie;
10. non AoS member
11. non AoS member

Can the one person (you know who your are!) who hasn't supplied me with a postal address please do so asap please.

Full instructions for the trial and postal addresses for the circulation list are included as a hard copy supplied with the unit. You each have a 3 day stint with the unit for which full specifications and details are included within the packing.

If the box starts to look a little careworn, please double box inside a fresh double walled box and I will refund the costs of any packaging (just let me know). Please do NOT post the box on if in any doubt to the integrity of the packaging...it's not worth the damage for the sake of a few pence spent on a new box.

Postage is to be via Special Delivery only please as this is guaranteed, tracked and insured (either that or tracked and insured courier of your choice).

I will shortly be publishing pricing details (still working out total costs for the prototype) for those who wish to place orders for purchase, although the unit has not officially been advertised yet nor does it yet appear on the RFC website.

petrat
30-04-2013, 20:31
Ooh, I'm second .... the anticipation ... it's like waiting for Christmas ...

Reffc
01-05-2013, 14:14
Now posted to the first person on the list. Should be with you Peter in around five days time

Riislingen
02-05-2013, 08:27
Hi Paul,

Is this UK only ? Or could Scandinavia be part of the loop ?

:eyebrows:

Cheers

/Mikkel

Reffc
02-05-2013, 08:51
Hi Mikkel

I can send to you once the UK rounds are over if you'd be happy covering the postage costs for the trial. In the event you like it and would like to order one, I would refund all of your postage costs upon placement of order. Can't say fairer than that! I'm still working on the pricing which will be announced in a week or two.

Riislingen
02-05-2013, 20:25
Hi Paul,

Absolutely fair, I'm interested in given it a spin.

Not in a hurry, so all in good time.

Cheers

Mikkel

petrat
03-05-2013, 10:27
Now posted to the first person on the list. Should be with you Peter in around five days time
:D

Reffc
06-05-2013, 07:41
:D

Should be on it's way to you tomorrow Peter ;)

khapahk
06-05-2013, 12:52
Looking forward to trying this, Paul. I think I'm quite a way down the list though so will have to be patient !

K

Reffc
06-05-2013, 16:42
Looking forward to trying this, Paul. I think I'm quite a way down the list though so will have to be patient !

K

It'll be worth the wait!

Just had my first piece of feedback from the first person on the list.

Received a phone call today to say that it was "way better" than using the MC gain stage in his (not inexpensive) Modwright phonostage and that he'd been "blown away" by the performance, so great to receive that first thumbs-up.

One thing I need to point out (although it's made clear in the enclosed instructions) is that the earth lead from tonearms must be connected to the SUT so that it is not bypassed straight to the phonostage. This means that another earth wire (anything will do, just strip two ends off some lighting flex if there's nothing else handy to hand) needs to be connected between SUT and phonostage ground points. The first person didn't initially do this and an earth loop was set up creating hum. All SUTs are required to be earthed to the phonostage/preamp and to have the tonearm grounds connected to the SUT.

Reffc
10-05-2013, 11:09
Feedback from the second person on the list:

Overall impressions were excellent. It is well behaved, no noise or hum; nicely detailed; throws a wide soundstage; seems well/evenly balanced with no undue emphasis of any part of the frequency range. Images sit a bit further behind the speakers than I'm used to, again maybe because of a more 'neutral' balance? Particularly impressed with nicely proportioned images, with good, precise location in the soundstage. IME, this all shows good design engineering, meaning the component has relatively linear gain and phase with frequency.

Unit should be with Hifi Dave today!

hifi_dave
11-05-2013, 12:06
OK, now used it with a couple of TT/cartridge combos and into three different phono stages. Initial findings - it's a good'un.

It is dynamic, clean, solid and precise. Digs out a lot more clean information than the other x'mer I compared it with. Punches well above it's weight and should be on your list if looking for a quality MC step up.

Reffc
12-05-2013, 07:00
OK, now used it with a couple of TT/cartridge combos and into three different phono stages. Initial findings - it's a good'un.

It is dynamic, clean, solid and precise. Digs out a lot more clean information than the other x'mer I compared it with. Punches well above it's weight and should be on your list if looking for a quality MC step up.

Thanks for the feedback David :)

Tarzan
16-05-2013, 11:10
The wee beastie is with me now- my first sortie into a quality SUT, early reports are very favourable, my touture track is coming out soon:).

:gig:

Tarzan
16-05-2013, 11:10
That should read torture track.:doh:

Reffc
16-05-2013, 11:21
The MC1 is now with Tarzan (Andy).

I've had the test results back from the MC2 and at present, am not happy to release it until we can find a way of improving distortion performance. FR is ruler flat though.

This means that for the time being, the MC1 will be the only SUT I am able to offer although I am happy to tailor the transformer and internal component choice in order to match your exact cartridge requirements. Prices will be announced next week for the MC1 but expect it to be uber-competitive for a high end SUT....way cheaper than the competition. It will be more expensive than buying a budget SUT but then again, the gains in performance will more than demonstrate why!

Tarzan
18-05-2013, 06:00
Well, l have given this thing a few days trying it out and..........l am not an expert on SUT's but B'Jesus this sounds good, full review etc, if anybody is interested.:cool:

Reffc
18-05-2013, 07:56
Well, l have given this thing a few days trying it out and..........l am not an expert on SUT's but B'Jesus this sounds good, full review etc, if anybody is interested.:cool:

Glad you've had some time together at last Andy!

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated, in particular what you hear as different from your current phono stage for example?

Wakefield Turntables
18-05-2013, 09:11

Come on then where's the review :D

Tarzan
18-05-2013, 12:05
l am on nightwork this weekend, not a review as such but more of a few poorly put together words.

Crickey this is good;)

Tarzan
18-05-2013, 12:34
Oh alright here we go... ( please bare in mind any typos as l have not been up long).

Straight out of the box, finish is superb, but was surprised how light the unit was, plumbed her in and hum...... lots of it first lesson of SUT club read the instructions!:doh: anyway, making sure she was sited properly, and ready to go.....

Disclaimer; l have little or no experience with SUT's ( only having used Ortofon T5's previously), so to be perfectly honest was expecting minor or subtle improvements, l mean feeding a CA640P- really?:lol: All l can l say is that this SUT propels the CA640P in to a completely and l mean completely different league ( stop laughing Jerry, and by the way you will love this SUT with the Denon DL103, the smoothness, warmth, imaging and cleanliness, is top notch, of course this would all be relavent if the thing was not musical, and here it truly excels it plays to the Techie/ Denon strengths and takes it up a mile, it makes music very emotional and recordings l thought l knew well- well l never l will stop banging on now, but in my room and systems, l would say that this is a remarkable sound.

Please see disclaimer above, l have owned phono pre in the past ( Trichord TE Groove, various valve jobbies all have been good, but this one SO musical and just sounds right, SUT are now to be investigated. Right poorly worded sentences finished.

Did l mention the presence of sound? Or the 3D soundstage, imaging?

User211
18-05-2013, 17:51
Interesting.

Only thing to do is buy one, surely.:eyebrows:

Reffc
19-05-2013, 17:15
Thanks for the feedback Andy and glad you enjoyed the unit. It can be a real eye-opener just how much of a performance boost (especially in dynamics and S/N ratio) a decetnt SUT can provide over many built-in MC gain stages and it's often cheaper to buy a competent MM phono stage and bolt on an SUT rather than go for a bells and whisltes MM/MC stage.

Reffc
19-05-2013, 17:17
Interesting.

Only thing to do is buy one, surely.:eyebrows:

For sure! But I've got to finalise the pricing and still chasing up one supplier for an answer on some components costs which I'm hoping to get next week plus have yet to discover how much the bench testing of these units is going to cost me! (It will be sorted very soon).

Reffc
21-05-2013, 10:29
Progress:

The MC1 will be with Khaphak (Bob) hopefully tomorrow. I had it intercepted between "trialees" and a slight tweak made following feedback and can assure those left on the list that this unit which sounded good now sounds pretty stunning!

Reffc
22-05-2013, 09:10
I am pleased to announce the recommended retail price now for the RFC MC1 high quality step up transformer as follows:

MC1 (1:10) = £545 inclusive of VAT;

Canetoad
22-05-2013, 10:32
Paul, will that be a good match for a Denon DL103R? :scratch:

Reffc
22-05-2013, 11:13

Hi Bernie

the Denon has an internal impedance of 14 Ohms and requires 100 ohms loading so yes, it should be a good match although output will be 3mV from the SUT using that cart, so you may need the volume turned up a small amount more than usual. S/N performance is really very good indeed so as long as you have a "quiet" MM stage, I can't see any problems. I'm happy for you to try the trial one doing the rounds as this will allow you to try it in your own system before ordering.

Tarzan
22-05-2013, 18:21

Hi Bernie l trialed the RFC SUT1 with a Denon DL103 and can report it sounded fab, even with a Cambridge Audio 640P- very quiet and very musical.:)

Reffc
30-05-2013, 09:59
Hot off the Press, the advertisement for the MC1 will appear on the website this week. until then, I've included a photo of the first production MC1 below.

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n577/24pacman/RFC%20Cables/_MG_6862_zpsb4d0f9ea.jpg

RRP = £545

Please contact me for further details or to order.

Wakefield Turntables
30-05-2013, 10:17
Paul just a quicky to say that it arrived safely

Reffc
30-05-2013, 11:01

Many thanks Andy.

Tarzan
30-05-2013, 12:16

:popcorn::)

Wakefield Turntables
30-05-2013, 13:34
:popcorn::)

It gets strapped into the system tonight. I like the fact it's been burned in. Will post some comments tonight!!!

Reffc
30-05-2013, 13:37
It gets strapped into the system tonight. I like the fact it's been burned in. Will post some comments tonight!!!

what?:eek: Is it exhibiting signs of fire damage then Andy?:mad:

...look forward to your thoughts!

MartinT
30-05-2013, 13:44
Very interesting, Paul, and I would have loved to try it against my Choir Hashimotos. Unfortunately the gain is insufficient for my needs as I need 29dB or so. If you ever plan a higher gain unit I'll be glad to put it through its paces against some of the best SUT transformers ever made ;)

Reffc
30-05-2013, 13:48
Very interesting, Paul, and I would have loved to try it against my Choir Hashimotos. Unfortunately the gain is insufficient for my needs as I need 29dB or so. If you ever plan a higher gain unit I'll be glad to put it through its paces against some of the best SUT transformers ever made ;)

I am working on a 26dB gain unit as we type....available to special order in MC2 guise for anyone needing higher gain :eyebrows:

Price will be marginally greater at £595.

jandl100
30-05-2013, 15:29
... All l can l say is that this SUT propels the CA640P in to a completely and l mean completely different league ( stop laughing Jerry, and by the way you will love this SUT with the Denon DL103, the smoothness, warmth, imaging and cleanliness, is top notch ...

Who? me? -- laughing at your phonostage being improved on? -- :whistle:

Ooo - that RFC SUT does sound intriguing.

I wouldn't mind if you put me on the trial list, Paul! :)

Tarzan
30-05-2013, 16:05
Who? me? -- laughing at your phonostage being improved on? -- :whistle:

Ooo - that RFC SUT does sound intriguing.

I wouldn't mind if you put me on the trial list, Paul! :)

Yes you Jerry!:lol: Seriously you need to review this SUT.

Tarzan
30-05-2013, 16:06
Oops Nearly forgot:ner:

jandl100
30-05-2013, 16:25
:ner:

Well, I'd like to hear it for my own possible use - I'm not sure about a review - I don't have enough experience of SUTs. I can think of folk much better suited -- calling Tom :lol:

And with my current kit I just have the transformers of my Minimax 'stage and an active MC step-up device to compare it to.
Nah - I'd just like to try it for myself. :)

Reffc
30-05-2013, 17:31
:ner:

Well, I'd like to hear it for my own possible use - I'm not sure about a review - I don't have enough experience of SUTs. I can think of folk much better suited -- calling Tom :lol:

And with my current kit I just have the transformers of my Minimax 'stage and an active MC step-up device to compare it to.
Nah - I'd just like to try it for myself. :)

I'll add you to the list Jerry. I'm pretty confident that it should out-perform most MC active gain stages unless seriously well engineered. It comprehensively wipes the floor with my reference MC stage of choice for many years now, a modded EAR834p Siggy, and that compares very favourably with the minimax.

MartinT
30-05-2013, 18:18
I am working on a 26dB gain unit as we type....available to special order in MC2 guise for anyone needing higher gain :eyebrows:

Well, if you want it evaluated when it's ready, let me know ;)

Wakefield Turntables
30-05-2013, 18:59
First impressions are thats its quite fragrant.

User211
30-05-2013, 19:15

Coo you've got the HM7 version too - very nice! Nearly took the plunge but the taxman put me off that one. Love the looks of it though never mind what it sounds like.

I'm sure Paul's device will be infinitely superior... well... maybe:yesbruv:

Sure Paul will bring one round when the new Apo Gee Gees arrive.

jandl100
31-05-2013, 05:53
First impressions are thats its very quite.

Hmm :hmm: -- very quite what? Impressive? Horrible?

Ah --- quiet.

Sorry. :eyebrows:

Wakefield Turntables
31-05-2013, 08:15
Hmm :hmm: -- very quite what? Impressive? Horrible?

Ah --- quiet.

Sorry. :eyebrows:

:rfl: Yep i meant quiet and not quite, well spotted. Things are silent bewteen tracks, is that better for you.... :ner:

MartinT
31-05-2013, 08:52
Things are silent bewteen tracks

I hate those 'bewteen tracks' myself.

jandl100
31-05-2013, 08:54
Some more finger coordination problems there, Andrew. ;)

Don't you just hate us pedants! :lol:

Marco
31-05-2013, 09:03
First impressions are thats its quite fragrant.

If it's lemony, I'm in!

Marco.

Wakefield Turntables
31-05-2013, 10:14
Right thats it I'm getting my cote I mean coat.... :flasher:

Reffc
31-05-2013, 10:21
Right thats it I'm getting my cote I mean coat.... :flasher:

"thats" should have an apostrophe and there should be a full stop after "it" :lol:

Sorry Andy....couldn't resist :ner:

Marco
31-05-2013, 11:04
Paul, you've omitted to answer the most important question: does your SUT have a citrus tang?

Marco.

Reffc
31-05-2013, 11:16
Paul, you've omitted to answer the most important question: does your SUT have a citrus tang?

Marco.

There's definitely nothing bitter or tangy about my SUT Marco. It is however, quite tasty ;)

Marco
31-05-2013, 11:59
:eyebrows: :eyebrows:

Marco.

khapahk
31-05-2013, 15:23
My thoughts on the RFC-1.

Physically I found it remarkably light and the finish is good for a prototype.

To set the scene, my experience of SUTs in my system is quite limited. My phonostage is an Icon Audio PS1.2 MM/MC, which uses it's own internal SUTs rather than active electronics for the MC stage. I presume these operate before the MM stage when MC is selected. The SUTs are not labelled so I'm unable to tell which make they are, or indeed the ratio ! I've also recently acquired a Martha SUT (6:1) which I've been using into the MM stage. My cartridge is a Benz Micro Wood SL – 0.5 mv; impedance 12 ohms; load >100 ohms according to manufacturer's details.

Music – prog rock, jazz/classical piano, chamber music, large orchestral

And the nitty-gritty ?!

I've been trying the Martha for a couple of months now and don't feel the combination of Martha/MM phonostage is as good as the standard MC for the phonostage. The frequency extremes are slightly muted with the Martha in place and some of the detail is lost. Could this be the 6:1 ratio ? By comparing volume level with the RFC-1, I suspect that the unlabelled SUTs in the phonostage are 10:1 as well. Is there a better way of finding this out, for a technical numpty like myself ?

Onto the RFC-1/MM phonostage combination. Firstly, there is no trace of any noise/hum (I followed the grounding instructions closely !). There was no ill-effect on the already wide soundstage from the GyroDec/Wood combination and image location is excellent, more precise than before. The overall sound is very clean, showing a slight improvement to frequency extremes compared with just the phonostage.

Overall, I like this a lot; it gives a noticeable improvement over my current vinyl set-up When funds permit, I’ll go for it.

Good luck with the SUTs, Paul.

k

Reffc
31-05-2013, 15:51
Many thanks Bob

level matching by volume can give you an approximation of the SUT value but you'd have to measure it to know what the value is. Many standard ones within MC stages usually consist of a 1:10; 1:12.5 or 1:15 step up.

The RFC-MC1 production units are a little weightier than the prototype and better finished, having some subtle internal changes such as mass loading for reducing any microphonic risks from vibration, the use of a custom board for the electronics and some minor changes (improvements) to the quality of fittings.

Reffc
05-06-2013, 08:41
SUT is now en-route to the next person in the trial. I'd like to (tactfully) make a little point at this juncture which is to point out that this is a trial being offered to those interested in the MC1. It is not a "loan" item but is being offered on a trial basis (I've had some enquiries about "borrowing it for a while" but it is not a loaner item to plug a temporary gap in a system! I'm more than happy to add anyone else onto the list as long as it is with this understanding. There are a fair few people waiting to be added to the list who are genuinely interested in the MC1.