PDA

View Full Version : Confused new boy

Oldpinkman
27-04-2013, 08:44
So - I can post this thread. But can't reply to other peoples threads? Hmm - maybe it will settle down with time. To introduce myself as asked I am a lapsed vinyl, lapsed hifi boy, who has recently got the toys mended and is having serious fun with LP's. Have known Arthur K at Pink / Funk since PT kicked off, worked there for a bit (was MD for a year or so). Pip just mended for me by Owen. PT revamped and new FX5 fitted by Arthur. Will try a separate post about how awesome that arm is

Oldpinkman
27-04-2013, 08:56
Having now read the welcome blurb (who reads the manual before trying the toy first?) I see the error of my ways and will exhibit a spot of patience. Meantime I promised AK I would tell everyone how good the FX5 is. Astonishingly. I am gob-smacked. I'm not sure anyone else has heard it yet, or even if it has a retail price yet. A few have gone out to Germany and the US I think on the new funk integrated "LSD". With a mischievious grin when I left he said "try the FXR on it next time". So first fess up - I haven't heard that yet. To be fair I don't think AK had heard an FX5 on a PT yet. What a match! What an arm. I have a pretty good memory for sounds. The "loaner" while Arthur was fixing my PT was a Technics SL1200. Lovely to use. Uncoloured. Very pretty. But even with an achromat, ditchwater dull. Previously there was a very respectable mission on the deck. Cartridge on all 3 recent setups Goldring 1012 or 1022 (very similar). When the misson 774 was fitted (17 years ago) I was MD at Pink and had an anni with Helius Orion or SME5 and technics U205 to play with. They were not as good as my record player now. Detail, dynamics, space, stereo, and BASS are awesome. Truly awesome. And its that arm. The FX5 is FAR better than I thought it would be. Will try the FXR soon (I hope) and report back, but I struggle to imagine how it can be better.

Marco
27-04-2013, 09:03
Hi Richard,

Welcome to AoS. The instructions during the registration process are quite clear (if you check back, you'll see), in that popping into the Welcome area and introducing yourself to our community is a necessary requirement of being a member.

We do this to encourage people to become a regular part of our community, rather than them simply taking advantage of our free classifieds section, and posting there to buy or sell something, or a 'one off' post elsewhere on the forum. However, once you've posted here, you'll be able to do so anywhere else on the forum.

Anyway, enough of that... Nice to see someone who knows Arthur, whom I consider to be not only one of the most talented audio designers I know, but also one of the nicest human beings I've met.

So what's your (full) current system and what music do you like? :cool:

Marco.

Marco
27-04-2013, 09:06
Ah... We were typing at the same time - nice one! :)

Marco.

AlfaGTV
27-04-2013, 09:46
Nice to see you here Richard! :)

Agree with Marco, please tell us what kinda music gets spun on your TT then?And, what other gear are involved?

Perhaps you could show us your HiFi in the Gallery forum? ;)

Best regards
//Mike

DSJR
27-04-2013, 10:37
I think our paths may have crossed Richard at some point, especially if you were with PT in the Tarantella years. A warm welcome from me and I should add - :worthless:

I need to know more about the arm, if that's the one fited to the new Funk deck. Looks very interesting and not silly money for what seems to be a novel hand made arm.

Oldpinkman
27-04-2013, 11:03
Will work on more. There is the original PT with a loverly new FX5 - feeding a beautiful old (but just refurbed) Pip. The arm sounds superb. - now will my picture show with this?

DSJR
27-04-2013, 11:08
Oh lord - he's got a dreaded Goldring 10** series on it (ongoing joke with Beobloke :lol:)

I VERY much look forward to hearing the Funk deck with this arm :) I wonder how it would sound on a Techie as an alternative to the ubiquitous Jelco?????????

Oldpinkman
27-04-2013, 11:10
OK - still no sign of a pic on the profile, but the attachment seemed to have worked, so I've attached another. I listen to all sorts. Classical, bit of jazz (my wifes old college band jazz atm). "testers" for the new arm have been Vivaldi's L'estro Armonico, Katie Melua "nobody knows you", Eagles Hotel California, Joan Armatrading "Love and Affection", Grover Washington junior winelight, Adele "Rolling in the deep" Elton John "Candle in the wind". Also Pink Floyd, Genesis, and loads of others. I thought I put the rest of the gear on my profile, but PT original, Funk FX5, Achromat, Goldring 1022, Pip 1, Quad 405-2 (modified) PT Ventricals. When saying how good the FX5 is, I have in the past used an anniversary with Helius Orion, Linn Ittok, SME5, and Mission 774, rega RB300 and others. Bitterly regret allowing the babysitter to use the hifi and rip the stylus out of my last technics u205. The goldring is not bad though. I was in and out of Pink Dave, but was MD for a year whilst Neil was recovering from cancer.

Oldpinkman
27-04-2013, 11:11
Bother. Here it is

Oldpinkman
27-04-2013, 11:15
I assume you meant the SL1200 when you said "techie". No idea. I've heard it on an LSD with a Decca London, and it was the business. I had an SL1200 from Arthur (with achromat - without other mods, and with said 1022) as the "loaner" while he pimped my PT. It was a joy to use, a beauty to behold, neutral, uncoloured, and ditchwater dull to listen to. I imagine the arm will work well on it - but it is jaw-dropping on the PT. Plans for further mods start now....

Anti Meep
29-04-2013, 04:19
Richard, that PT stuff is seriously hot. I lusted after some of that gear a few decades back and still do! It's among the finest looking gear that ever was IMHO. Never saw any in the flesh back then though as we were a bit isolated down here. I know of a rather splendid chap who has a PT TT still and loves it.
Craig.

Oldpinkman
29-04-2013, 14:15
It was hot stuff. A brief browse on this forum reveals lots of far more exotic stuff, but PT was honest, accurate and excellent value for kit you could buy from a regular hifi shop. There is tinkering I can (and may) do with what I have, but the room is the ultimate limiting factor until I get my dream villa in France, and can think about some ESL63's....
Meantime - I haven't heard anything significantly better than I have - and Funk Firm seems to be continuing the tradition.

Rare Bird
20-05-2013, 08:27
Nice to see someone who knows Arthur, whom I consider to be not only one of the most talented audio designers I know, but also one of the nicest human beings I've met.

+1

Welcome Richard..